Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#149021 - Tue Dec 31 2002 11:58 AM I'm Being Published!
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
I got this letter in the mail today from The International Library of Poetry (Poetry.com):

In reply to:

Dear Kristen,

After carefully reading and discussing your poem, The Final Stanzas: Curtain Closed, our Selection Committee has certified your poem as a semi-finalist in our International Open Poetry Contest. Your poem will automatically be entered into the final competition held in January 2003. As a semi-finalist, you now have an excellent chance of winning one of 104 cash or gift prizes--including the $1,000.00 Grand Prize. You may even win the $10,000.00 Annual Grand Prize! We wish you the best of luck as you compete for these prizes in the coming weeks.

The letter then goes on to describe the benefits (yeah, right) of ordering the semi-finalist compilation book for US$71.00, and also gives me the opportunity to include an Artist Profile with my poem for the "nominal fee" of US$25.00 (again: yeah, right). *Laughs* I'm not going to fall for that, but if they want to publish my poem in their book, they're more than welcome to! Hey, if I win the $10,000, I might just go out and buy it!

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#149022 - Tue Dec 31 2002 01:16 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
Congratulations LadyC...keep us posted with the results and let us know where and when your poem will be published. Perhaps you could post a copy of your poem here, if you feel so inclined...

#149023 - Tue Dec 31 2002 06:13 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling<br>† Hong†Kong†††††...
.... and could I have your autograph?

#149024 - Tue Dec 31 2002 11:26 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
Congratulations, LadyC! It is an incredible poem!
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#149025 - Thu Jan 02 2003 10:31 AM Re: I'm Being Published!
Flapjack44 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London UK
LadyC that is fabulous! Well done you!

#149026 - Thu Jan 02 2003 01:14 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
lol change that to "There's an Outside Chance I Might Get Published". My brother threw a party and the envelope I needed to return the paper they had me sign (to ensure that my poem was not plagiarised) has been lost and/or destroyed.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#149027 - Thu Jan 02 2003 01:29 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
Farie33 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California
LOL! Well, I hope you do get it published LadyC. I really liked it.

#149028 - Thu Jan 02 2003 01:58 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
Hopefully you can find it, or maybe call them if there is a number available, to see if they will send you another copy of the paper.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#149029 - Wed Jan 15 2003 10:30 AM Re: I'm Being Published!
Islingtonian Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Er, Islington.
London, UK
Best of luck if you do find it. It's a lovely poem.

#149030 - Wed Jan 15 2003 02:53 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland†UK††††††
Congratulations LadyC, that's really impressive. Should we call you your majesty/emminence..or something like that now?

#149031 - Thu Feb 20 2003 08:20 AM Re: I'm Being Published!
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
As a poet myself, I know how exciting it is to get an acceptance! And little doubt your poetry deserves a fine home. Thatís why I hate to say what I am about to say, but I think it would be unkind of me to withhold this information from you.

In the future, if you want your poetry to have a deserving home, please try other markets than poetry.com. Poetry.com is also poets.com, which is also The National Library of Poetry, which is also the International Library of Poetry. I had a run in with them as a youth myself, before I learned about them, and they have preyed upon many poets who are just starting out. Please see this website with warnings for writers: http://windpub.org/literary.scams/ilp.htm

In general, Iíd advise you not to submit your work to markets that ask you to purchase the publication in which your work appears. Instead, they should give you one free contributorís copy. Sometimes, you wonít know whether they give you a free copy until after you submit. But if they ask you to buy something, just say, no thank you, I deserve to see my work in print without paying for it. Editors canít afford to pay much if anything for poetry (I know, I have my own small press magazine), but they should provide one copy of the publication to published authors.

I really hate to be the wet blanket here, but poets deserve to have all the avialable information before them. If you want to keep getting respectfully published, you really do well to pursue other markets. Good luck in your future writing endeavours, and keep submitting. And remember, even regularly published poets get a rejection 8 times out of 10, so just persist!

#149032 - Thu Feb 20 2003 05:35 PM Re: I'm Being Published!
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Id just like to back up what skylarb said. Poetry.com is well known for their scamming ways. A poem of mine maybe 6 years ago was "accepted" by them. Well, what happens is that they accept almost EVERY poem, and then use it to get the authors to buy books, medalions, and other stuff. It's entirely a commercial scam.

That said, your poem is great! There are many reputable places that you can submit your poem to get some real recognition.

T

#149033 - Fri Feb 21 2003 02:12 AM Re: I'm Being Published!
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Could I add another cautionary note here....

Check the 'small print' when submitting a poem for publication, it might stipulate 'previously unpublished work' and by posting the poem at Funtrivia you have already published it, further more if you check the 'small print' here you have given the copyright to FunTrivia.com by publishing it here. It is easy to overlook things like that. Slap the copyright symbol on all your work at all times and be careful where you submit it.

#149034 - Fri Feb 21 2003 08:14 AM Re: I'm Being Published!
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Good point about being careful where you publish your poetry because some magazines do not accept previously published work. In general, I never post my poems on the internet until they have been published in print, so that I don't "use them up" so to speak. One small disagreement though, regarding the copyright symbol. I don't advise putting this symbol on your work when you submit to publishers. You already own the copyright to your work the moment you put it down into print. It is not longer required by law to have the copyright symbol. And some editors will view the symbol as a mark of an amateur if you submit to them your work with the symbol on it. They may also view it as an insult--i.e., you are afraid they might steal your work. Writing the symbol on your work is optional--you own the copyright whether you put it on there or not, and whether you pay to register it or not. (Registering just makes it easier to fight if it is ever stolen.)

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom