Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#150188 - Sun Jan 05 2003 12:05 PM New Years Resolutions
jubjub Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada
Does anyone have a New Years resolution they wish to share? Have you made any headway with your resolution, or are you still thinkng about it? My one and only resolution is a bit strange - I intend to drink more spirits! I consume maybe 5 actual acoholic beverages a year - no joke - and I thought a glass of brandy or wine or spirit a few times a week after work might help me relax a bit more and get rid of some of the mental and physical aches and pains. Does anyone have any serious, lifestyle-changing, earth-shaking or just plain strange resolutions in mind?

#150189 - Sun Jan 05 2003 12:50 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
I am a much heavier drinker than you, I consume about double the amount that you do or even three times. I opened a bottle of champagne on Christmas Day, I really must throw the remains away as it must be flat by now.

Resolutions, yes I am going to lose a little weight for my health's sake. I lost about twelve pounds a couple of years ago and it has gradually crept back. I am very overweight and this is not good as a diabetic, if I can lose some weight it should reduce my blood sugar so I have the incentive, if I can reduce the blood sugar enough I can have some real chocolate! Bliss. Perhaps I should do what I did before, I had a thread in Tips and Tricks where we had a weekly weigh-in.

Now for the special diabetic choccy mints...

#150190 - Sun Jan 05 2003 01:58 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
jubjub Offline
Mainstay

After I read my resolution, I thought "Oh, great. Now everyone's going to tell me that I could turn into an alcoholic or something with this resolution! The fact is, I don't like the taste of effect of alcohol very much, but I think it could be a bit of a stress reliever. Many women who tipple a bit live to a ripe old age!

As for losing weight, Sue, I really need to do that as well but I haven't actually committed myself to it as a resolution. I am VERY overweight, although healthy enough besides the arthritis. I would like to find a plan that is easy to stick to and actually works. I thought perhaps I would look into the high carb diet again. It might work for me as I LOVE meat. I need more details.

#150191 - Sun Jan 05 2003 04:55 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
Blue, medical researchers say that moderate DAILY alcohol consumpsion is very good for you! It's supposed to help prevent strokes, among other things. (Maybe by relieving stress? *grin*)

They recommend a glass or two of wine or beer, or one of the stronger stuff.

#150192 - Mon Jan 06 2003 04:40 AM Re: New Years Resolutions
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
THe low carb thing is what you mean Blue...try the carbohydrate addict's diet page out. It's very clear and easy to live with...as you're never more than twenty four hours away from your next nemesis food and knowing that it's ok, just takes the urge away!
I stuck to it for three whole years...never managed anything that long before. And it's kind of like a fire extinguisher now on the wall, break open in case of emergency!
You don't lose it rapidly but consistently, and if you do lose too much in a given week, you slow down...
My sister and I both lost sixty pounds each..and kept a good deal of it off.
The good thing is that even if you do backslide you don't whip yourself and give up...you just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep on going.

I'm starting it back up today, sigh...consoled myself with high quality chocolates over the last two weeks.

By the way, they used a very large sample of folks from Overeater's Anonymous for their tests, and those folks had tried just about everything to do it, from stapling their intestines to fad dieting, to dire things like cabbage soup...and they had a good rate of success.

The only thing I have heard is that some people don't have the same sort of problem with carbohydrates cravings and for them, it doesn't work well.

Good luck to everyone.

Oh yes, have to find a job too...wish me luck.

Other resolution is drinking one and a half liters of water per day.

The wine, well here most everyone drinks a glass or two per day...they don't need to make any recommendations.

#150193 - Mon Jan 06 2003 07:29 AM Re: New Years Resolutions
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC
Canada
OK, OK...add ME to the "fat pack"! Must shed some pounds, and as I'm heading off to work today for the first time in three weeks, I believe it's time to get back into the routine! I forced myself to gag down some breakfast this morning. I won't eat after 5pm. I WILL do some very moderate exercise today. I used to be an exercise fanatic and if I didn't do it, for some reason, I felt absolutely distraught. I lost that "drive" somewhere over the last two years, too! There. I said it.

Oh! And my wine consumption often exceeds the recommended "dose"! Good luck with the resolutions! ~Lea

#150194 - Wed Jan 08 2003 10:33 AM Re: New Years Resolutions
aballinshadow Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Canada
I never took any resolution because I know I wouldn't make it anyway!
Edited by aballinshadow (Fri Mar 25 2005 04:52 PM)

#150195 - Thu Jan 09 2003 05:51 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VICAustralia
I decided I'd get driving lessons this year. One of those things I keep putting off week after month after year. I don't really need my licence, but I suppose it's one of those things that's handy to have, right?

(Besides, my brother got a car for Christmas, so if I get my licence I can hijack it! )

#150196 - Fri Jan 10 2003 12:26 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
jubjub Offline
Mainstay

Good for you, Tanzen! I got my licence just before they changed the laws here that would make it harder and take longer to get your driver's licence. I passed the test, but I have not driven since that time and I may take lessons to refresh my "skills". I have an irrational fear of driving for the first time at the age of 50 and fear I will forget something crucial at a critical moment! I live in the Toronto area, so you can imagine what the traffic is like around here.

#150197 - Sun Jan 12 2003 04:58 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VICAustralia
Thank Blue! I got my learner's permit when I was 19, and never did anything about it. I actually had my wallet stolen that had that in it, so I suppose the first step would be to get that back again....

I don't know how confident I would feel on the road. Everything I know about driving I've learnt from the Daytona machines (ie those car racing games). But my Mum only got her licence a few years ago, so I'm not in any real rush. I would, however, like to get my P-plates by the end of the year.

Oh well, fingers crossed, right?

#150198 - Sun Jan 12 2003 05:09 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I'm rooting for your Tanzen! I got my learner's permit at 15, but instead of getting my license at 16 like most people do here in the states, I didn't get mine until I was 19. It is a long story on why, but once I got them I was happy about it. It is amazing how quickly you learn to relax behind the wheel. Of course, I don't have to battle huge amounts of traffic on a daily basis. I have driven in bigger cities with no problem, but Chicago was too much for me. Out of the 2 1/2 months we were there, I only drove once and was too nervous to even smoke! (And I smoke alot when I am nervous! )

You'll do just fine!

You'll do fine too, Blue, if you choose to take the refresher course. It is scary to pick it up again, but once you are behind the wheel it will all come back to you. I'm rooting for you, too!
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#150199 - Mon Jan 13 2003 04:35 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
Russ5 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oban
I don't think that I'd like to be a passenger of yours, unless I light the ciggies and just hand them over to you.

Conversely, I could just light one for myself, and then jump out of the door/window.

A thought, don't smoke while your'e taking your test, wait til afterwards, you'll need it.

Good luck.

#150200 - Mon Jan 13 2003 09:12 PM Re: New Years Resolutions
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I'm not a nervous driver, Russ. It was just driving in Chicago that made me nervous. I don't need to smoke when I am driving ( I just do out of habit)
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#150201 - Tue Jan 14 2003 01:28 AM Re: New Years Resolutions
Jim_in_Oz Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane QueenslandAustralia
I couldn't wait for any of them. I got my learner's permit at 16, the minimum age and my provisional licence 6 months later. Then got onto my open licence after 3 years. Then lost my open licence after 3 years and got it back after 3 months. Turns out I did everything in a rush, including the driving!

Moderator:  ren33, sue943