Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#152270 - Sun Jan 12 2003 07:56 PM emailing?
pinfire Offline
Prolific

Loc: Western Australia
I am just curious, does anyone hand write letters now? or has emailing taken over?

Thanks.

#152271 - Sun Jan 12 2003 08:07 PM Re: emailing?
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
I prefer emailing, because it's quicker. Also, it's already paid for with my internet, and I don't have to go out and buy stamps and envelopes for it.

But I do still send snail mail (for job stuff, for example), but I usually type them in a word processor, spell-check, and print them rather than hand writing them.

#152272 - Sun Jan 12 2003 09:40 PM Re: emailing?
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
Several years ago, I had tons of penpals, over 200. That was back in the days when I had a job and no bills, still living at home with my parents and could afford the postage. Over the years it has dwindled down to where I only have 3 now but I enjoy writing letters to them. Overall I prefer emails nowdays because it is faster, and as LadyC mentioned it is already paid for with the Internet and no stamps are needed. But, I do enjoy handwriting letters to the 3 pen pals that I have.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#152273 - Mon Jan 13 2003 10:44 AM Re: emailing?
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
I still write letters to the older members of my family who don't have computers. I will always hand write a thank you note.

#152274 - Mon Jan 13 2003 11:06 AM Re: emailing?
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I still hand write thank you notes. And I also hand write Christmas cards with their notes and the envelopes. I think it is an indication that one has put "themselves" into the effort. I see no use in putting labels on envelopes. In fact, instead of just buying a birthday card or whatever, I take the time to make a card. And for me that takes quite a while. Sure, it's easy to go buy a card, but it takes time (1+hr. for me) to give thought to what to put into the card, find the appropriate graphics, and make it.

Guess that the few cards I send are more like letters for me. Why not make them personal so the receiver knows it comes from the heart.

However, on the letter front, I do send letters to some folks. Written on the computer of course

#152275 - Mon Jan 13 2003 11:17 AM Re: emailing?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I never write letters by hand. Since my handwriting is terrible the word processor and e-mail have been a boon to me. It's a bit of a cumulative thing though. The more I don't use handwriting the worse my scrawl becomes.

#152276 - Mon Jan 13 2003 02:17 PM Re: emailing?
ThaReaper Offline
Mainstay

writing???????? What is this word writing?

#152277 - Mon Jan 13 2003 03:38 PM Re: emailing?
Russ5 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oban
Isn't writing just putting words down. Does it really matter how one does it?

E-mail for me normally, you would receive a reply in a few secs. (bet I don't), but I also have a note pad with me all the times, and at least two pens, and one pencil, just in case it's raining.

Try playing golf with a laptop.

I write and leave notes for myself all over the place. The one's with the sticky backs. I call them slappers.

#152278 - Mon Jan 13 2003 04:15 PM Re: emailing?
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
I guess I'm a strange one. I actually prefer to write. I have grown up with computers, but I like the old-fashioned writing better.

#152279 - Mon Jan 13 2003 05:52 PM Re: emailing?
Samantha Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New Jersey
I don't literally "write" letters, I type them and mail them. I find that way to be a lot more personal for some reason. I do email SOME people, but only for a quick question or a quick hello - but if I'm going to write to a pen pal (which I have several), I prefer to type and mail

#152280 - Mon Jan 13 2003 08:18 PM Re: emailing?
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
This is kind of a quandry for me. On the one hand, I reply to e-mail MUCH quicker, and almost without fail---but I just dash off a short reply, and rarely do the sort of soul-searching sharing with friends that I did in the Dinosaur Days of snail-mail.

I rarely ever write an actual, hand-written letter any more, but I truly treasure the pages-long letters I've saved over the years. Back in the BC (Before Computer) days, my friends and I would write letters over the course of DAYS, and I find we put a whole lot more of our selves into those.

Do I miss that? Yes. Am I going to stop e-mailing and go back to that? No.

#152281 - Tue Jan 14 2003 02:33 PM Re: emailing?
Russ5 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oban
I believe it's called induction into the system, I can take it or leave it, email yes, writing, yes, memos yes, meetings, no.

If I have to go to a meeting for, say, 2hrs, that's 2 hours of my life someone has stolen, the only way to get my 2hrs back, is to waste that person's time for the same amount of time.

Or, conversley, hold a meeting, for 2hours with all those other people, who wasted your time and you could accumulate extra days and keep them there for the same length of time, not only do they lose two hours, but you accumulate their loss.

Answer: don't talk, and don't go to meetings - impossible

Happy time wasting...

Edited by Russ5 (Tue Jan 14 2003 02:34 PM)

Moderator:  ren33, sue943