Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#156658 - Sun Feb 02 2003 02:52 PM View the Space Station from your back yard
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
In a quest for more information following yesterday's tragic Space Shuttle disaster, I visited NASA's site (something I've been meaning to do for ages).

I hadn't really taken too much interest in the International Space Station. Sure, I knew it was up there somewhere and I remember hearing that it was visible to the human eye on certain occasions, but I never got round to investigating further.

Well, since yesterday, I've seen it whizzing across the night sky on 3 occasions. Believe me, it's a real buzz.

This is how you can see it too.

This page is a fairly comprehensive listing of major Cities around the globe. It lists time and date, duration of sighting, maximum elevation, compass point and elevation of approach and compass point and elevation of departure.

If your particular location isn't included, click on the NASA Skywatch link to enter your exact geographical details. I live in Norwich, some 100 odd miles from London, but just to give you an idea, I am using London's details and it's pretty much the same for Norwich.

Check it out and enjoy.

Space exploration must continue. It would be an insult to the memory of the seven heroic pioneers who lost thier lives yesterday, if it does not.

wez

#156659 - Tue Feb 04 2003 08:10 AM Re: View the Space Station from your back yard
anagram2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kent, England
Thanks for the link Wez, interesting. I think I've seen it a few times before but not really sure as I never knew exactly when and where to look.
Knowing my luck it'll be perpetually cloudy now!

#156660 - Tue Feb 04 2003 07:14 PM Re: View the Space Station from your back yard
Callybub Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterford Ireland      
That is an interesting link thank you. So often when I visit things they never mention Waterford. I now feel that we are a force within the universe. Unfortunately, at this time of year, the sky is obscured with cloud but this may get interesting with the onset of Summer, albeit a few months away.

#156661 - Tue Feb 04 2003 07:33 PM Re: View the Space Station from your back yard
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
Cal, keep lookin'. For the past 4 nights I have seen it even with a little cloud cover.

I guess my best tip is......... invest in a compass, so you know exactly where it's going to appear.

My 9 year old son couldn't crane his neck more than 30 degrees for anything before I pointed this out to him. Now he's dragging me outside, compass in hand, everytime it's visible (from any continent! )

I've not got the heart to tell him we're the only continent beginning with E.

wez

#156662 - Tue Feb 04 2003 07:38 PM Re: View the Space Station from your back yard
Callybub Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterford Ireland      
Will do Wez. I always love to hear from a person from my own time zone. I live beside a river and a beach so obscurity is at a maximum but in a way we do get the good stuff as when there is a major meteor shower or the like we get a great view!!!!

Moderator:  ren33, sue943