Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#157877 - Sun Feb 09 2003 05:11 PM Curious about FT Aussies!
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
I'm just interested as to why we have a good sampling of Aussies in FT! Honestly, I love them all! But when I consider the internet has no borders, I often wonder how it came to be that there are so many wonderful members from Oz! Any insights?

#157878 - Sun Feb 09 2003 06:11 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Maybe it's because we only have six TV channels for entertainment!

#157879 - Sun Feb 09 2003 11:34 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
pinfire Offline
Prolific

Not unless you have foxtel.

#157880 - Mon Feb 10 2003 01:35 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
My theory is this, besides the fact they're trying to conquer the site and not doing such a bad job with their brilliance, where else can you find another group of people with whom you can discuss just about anything, and who know where Australia is?
I just heard a joke on the film I saw last night, Analyze this with De Niro and Crystal. The actor of a mafia type film was an Italian Aussie who was glad to meet "the real thing" and make his character more realistic...he kept on calling De Niro mate...and De Niro kept on grimacing...and at one point the Aussie actor said there were a lot of pisans down under...
to which De Niro said, "Down under where?"
I have to say, that though I'm one of the rare Americans who visited Oz many years ago, I do see that many folks have no idea of what life is like there, and this place is getting us all together.
Even I, when I think of my trip there, after two weeks in New Zealand which is, well like you see it in the Tolkien films and I don't know how they hid all the sheep in those mountain shots, but still, it's small, about the size of my home state California in feel, but when you hit Oz...it's just so vast...with large city centers, then vast spaces between them...therefore, even an American who's traveled all over is humbled by the sheer size of it all!
Aussies remind me more of Americans in their good natured backslapping type humour too...Kiwis, they remind me more of the England I'd pictured, or Scotland, while reading novels.

Aussies were really happy to have tourists too...I mean, I figure they appreciated that you'd made the effort, I doubt they've changed a whole lot either.

#157881 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:00 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
I don't know whether it is of any relevance, but when the internet was starting to get exciting in 1995ish, apart from America, Australia had the quickest and largest percentage/capita takeup rate of any nation. Unfortunately I cannot recall the figures.

It doesn't explain why there are so many of us here though. Perhaps it's because we are a fairly relaxed fun loving crowd, perhaps it is our geographical distance that we feel we need to bridge, who knows?

Maybe it is our own insularity that has led us to realise that we need to keep in contact with the outside world. Whatever it is I really enjoy FT and I would hope that I am speaking for all my other compatriots.

Dang! Forget the serious stuff, let's just meet people and have fun.

#157882 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:04 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
I think Exit hit the nail on the head- we just want to be loved...

Quote:

Aussies were really happy to have tourists too

Well, how else would we keep all our fierce animals fed?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#157883 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:13 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

we just want to be loved...

Yup, it's the 'small dog' syndrome at work. We constantly need people to tell us how cute, lovable and important we are in the rest of the world's eyes.

(that sounds a lot worse than what I wanted it to)

Edited by Copago (Mon Feb 10 2003 02:14 AM)

#157884 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:16 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Quote:

Well, how else would we keep all our fierce animals fed

or the fruit picked?

#157885 - Mon Feb 10 2003 05:37 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I don't know mate, a cat perhaps, but that dog...looks like a pitbull...you know me and LadyC and canines...I'd only make an exception for Muttley from the Wacky Racers...whom that dog resembles.
However if Conor asks me how cute he is, I'll see my way clear to tell him...

How about how did you Aussies find the site? I mean, I found this place via searching for materials that were funny for my students of English...Never left!
It was like Cheers with Norm, Cliff, Diane and Sam all wrapped into one...
But how did you guys find it?

#157886 - Mon Feb 10 2003 06:08 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Actually , I invited them oersonally, every single one... it was the guilt, you see.

#157887 - Mon Feb 10 2003 08:21 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I discovered FunTrivia about a year ago when my friend phoned me to help with her son's homework. They didn't have a computer and the teacher had given a homework assignment that required getting information from the Internet.

One of the questions I remember was "What type of shoes does the Pope wear?" Can you believe that was the question? I still can't believe it. I mean, why would you want to know? I guess the teacher wanted to make sure the kids would HAVE to use the Internet to find the answer - you sure weren't going to find it in a book!

Anyway, I googled it and it hit on Ask FunTrivia. I've think I've visited here almost every day since!

#157888 - Mon Feb 10 2003 08:30 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

French kids give the Pope for a standard answer to a silly question..."who is it?" when you ring the buzzer they'll either say, "C'est moi" or else "C'est le Pape" Like "it's the Pope who do you think? " I thought that was the answer to a joke!

I know that we're all happy to see so many Aussies...

#157889 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:27 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Quote:

I know that we're all happy to see so many Aussies...

I will tell whether I like them or not ,after March 15th, 2003. In all probability, I won't...
By the way, what shoes does the Pope wear?

#157890 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:46 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Come now, let's not let a few petty quarrels between sports teams separate us...now now...we'll start a thread for India soon...as soon as I can get the other Indians to come inside...
So WHAT does the Pope wear on his feet Mother Goose?
Please tell us!

#157891 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:49 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Islingtonian Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Er, Islington.
London, UK
Quote:

Hush popies?

#157892 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:59 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Islingtonian, you've done this...I have never done this on the FT boards as of yet, but dang, my mascara's running down my cheeks like the tears of a clown now...and darn it...

LOL!

Is that how you do it? I've never done it before! Dire situations warrant dire solutions though...
Now will someone please tell us about the Pope's footwear?
I'm dying to know...then we can go back down under..

Underwear?

Prayboks?

#157893 - Mon Feb 10 2003 01:23 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

soap
after shave
toothbrush..

By the way, I reserve my comments to your statements -
(Why would I hate the Aussies? - In fact the Indian team is so hopeless otherwise. But when it comes to playing against Aussies, one or two always turn 'kickass' - one of our bastman gives Warne nightmares (he said it after Operation Desert Storm conducted by Sachin in 1998) and 'Sorry - No way 17' by Laxman, Turbanator and Dravid.
(By the way, if any of you didn't understand any of the above, ask an Aussie who watches Cricket)
and of course Aussies lost their number one test team status because they lost to us (and South Africa defeated us) in India.
I ain't saying any more (because the list is small and I don't want all the Aussies after my blood i.e. after the 15th

#157894 - Mon Feb 10 2003 03:07 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Biggles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: England
Quote:

we just want to be loved...

If that is true would you please take back Rolf Harris, your beer, Neighbours and stop beating us at cricket - then we may consider it.

#157895 - Mon Feb 10 2003 03:14 PM Re: The Pope's Shoes
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
Quote:

You're not going to believe this, but I actually sort of have a serious answer to this!
I was just watching a satirical show that's on here every night, and one of the thing the two presenters do is that every evening they phone someone who has some kind of connection to the news and ask them the kind of questions that no sane reporter would ask. Tonight they phoned some Italian shoemakers who have made shoes for Bush and Saddam, and the guy they spoke to told them that he has also made shoes for the pope. So, I don't know what kind of shoes the pope wears, but I can tell you that they are made by someone named Andrey who works near Milan and has a boss named Vitto!
(They also asked whether it would be possible to plant a bomb in Saddam's next pair of shoes, but Andrey said that Saddam always gets someone else to wear the shoes first. Then he suddenly announced that he has lots of Arab friends and told the interviewers that they are filthy murderers and that he hopes they die a horrible death. scary.)

#157896 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:37 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Quote:

If that is true would you please take back Rolf Harris, your beer, Neighbours and stop beating us at cricket - then we may consider it.

Leave the beer alone (Give the devil his due - they make better beer than the rest (except for the Germans)

and Biggles - No offence meant but going by cricket standards, you will have to hate very nation in the world, wouldn't you?

By the way, a doubt to the English : Usually convicts are taught socially useful things while serving. What did you teach convicts (lets say around the last 200 to 300 years?)

#157897 - Tue Feb 11 2003 02:48 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Re: "By the way, what shoes does the Pope wear?"

Ask FunTrivia

#157898 - Tue Feb 11 2003 04:30 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Biggles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: England
Quote:

they make better beer than the rest (except for the Germans)

Many years ago I used to drink Fosters beer that was brewed in Australia and I really enjoyed it. When the draught version appeared in pubs I rushed to try it and all I can say it that it was cold, wet and brewed in the UK. Visiting Australians tell me it is nothing like the real thing.

Cricket has the problem in the UK that it is not seen as fashionable by young people, but a sport for the older generation. Football is very glamorous with the television coverage and the high wages payed to the players. The academic demands on schools mean that sports education has a low priority as it does not contribute to the examination results that determine the school's position in the league tables showing the best and worst schools. Also financial constraints have meant that many schools have sold all or part of their sports fields to raise funds.

#157899 - Tue Feb 11 2003 04:59 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Quote:

all I can say it that it was cold, wet and brewed in the UK.

it's meant to be cold and wet, just like the U.K.

#157900 - Tue Feb 11 2003 05:03 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
You are cruel, Jill

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#157901 - Tue Feb 11 2003 05:05 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Quote:

By the way, a doubt to the English : Usually convicts are taught socially useful things while serving. What did you teach convicts (lets say around the last 200 to 300 years?)

That's what I meant by 'the guilt',
Ace. We needed to teach them something after all that abuse.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  bloomsby