Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#157877 - Sun Feb 09 2003 05:11 PM Curious about FT Aussies!
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
I'm just interested as to why we have a good sampling of Aussies in FT! Honestly, I love them all! But when I consider the internet has no borders, I often wonder how it came to be that there are so many wonderful members from Oz! Any insights?

#157878 - Sun Feb 09 2003 06:11 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Maybe it's because we only have six TV channels for entertainment!

#157879 - Sun Feb 09 2003 11:34 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
pinfire Offline
Prolific

Not unless you have foxtel.

#157880 - Mon Feb 10 2003 01:35 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
My theory is this, besides the fact they're trying to conquer the site and not doing such a bad job with their brilliance, where else can you find another group of people with whom you can discuss just about anything, and who know where Australia is?
I just heard a joke on the film I saw last night, Analyze this with De Niro and Crystal. The actor of a mafia type film was an Italian Aussie who was glad to meet "the real thing" and make his character more realistic...he kept on calling De Niro mate...and De Niro kept on grimacing...and at one point the Aussie actor said there were a lot of pisans down under...
to which De Niro said, "Down under where?"
I have to say, that though I'm one of the rare Americans who visited Oz many years ago, I do see that many folks have no idea of what life is like there, and this place is getting us all together.
Even I, when I think of my trip there, after two weeks in New Zealand which is, well like you see it in the Tolkien films and I don't know how they hid all the sheep in those mountain shots, but still, it's small, about the size of my home state California in feel, but when you hit Oz...it's just so vast...with large city centers, then vast spaces between them...therefore, even an American who's traveled all over is humbled by the sheer size of it all!
Aussies remind me more of Americans in their good natured backslapping type humour too...Kiwis, they remind me more of the England I'd pictured, or Scotland, while reading novels.

Aussies were really happy to have tourists too...I mean, I figure they appreciated that you'd made the effort, I doubt they've changed a whole lot either.

#157881 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:00 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
I don't know whether it is of any relevance, but when the internet was starting to get exciting in 1995ish, apart from America, Australia had the quickest and largest percentage/capita takeup rate of any nation. Unfortunately I cannot recall the figures.

It doesn't explain why there are so many of us here though. Perhaps it's because we are a fairly relaxed fun loving crowd, perhaps it is our geographical distance that we feel we need to bridge, who knows?

Maybe it is our own insularity that has led us to realise that we need to keep in contact with the outside world. Whatever it is I really enjoy FT and I would hope that I am speaking for all my other compatriots.

Dang! Forget the serious stuff, let's just meet people and have fun.

#157882 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:04 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
I think Exit hit the nail on the head- we just want to be loved...

Quote:

Aussies were really happy to have tourists too

Well, how else would we keep all our fierce animals fed?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#157883 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:13 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

we just want to be loved...

Yup, it's the 'small dog' syndrome at work. We constantly need people to tell us how cute, lovable and important we are in the rest of the world's eyes.

(that sounds a lot worse than what I wanted it to)

Edited by Copago (Mon Feb 10 2003 02:14 AM)

#157884 - Mon Feb 10 2003 02:16 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Quote:

Well, how else would we keep all our fierce animals fed

or the fruit picked?

#157885 - Mon Feb 10 2003 05:37 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I don't know mate, a cat perhaps, but that dog...looks like a pitbull...you know me and LadyC and canines...I'd only make an exception for Muttley from the Wacky Racers...whom that dog resembles.
However if Conor asks me how cute he is, I'll see my way clear to tell him...

How about how did you Aussies find the site? I mean, I found this place via searching for materials that were funny for my students of English...Never left!
It was like Cheers with Norm, Cliff, Diane and Sam all wrapped into one...
But how did you guys find it?

#157886 - Mon Feb 10 2003 06:08 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Actually , I invited them oersonally, every single one... it was the guilt, you see.

#157887 - Mon Feb 10 2003 08:21 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I discovered FunTrivia about a year ago when my friend phoned me to help with her son's homework. They didn't have a computer and the teacher had given a homework assignment that required getting information from the Internet.

One of the questions I remember was "What type of shoes does the Pope wear?" Can you believe that was the question? I still can't believe it. I mean, why would you want to know? I guess the teacher wanted to make sure the kids would HAVE to use the Internet to find the answer - you sure weren't going to find it in a book!

Anyway, I googled it and it hit on Ask FunTrivia. I've think I've visited here almost every day since!

#157888 - Mon Feb 10 2003 08:30 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

French kids give the Pope for a standard answer to a silly question..."who is it?" when you ring the buzzer they'll either say, "C'est moi" or else "C'est le Pape" Like "it's the Pope who do you think? " I thought that was the answer to a joke!

I know that we're all happy to see so many Aussies...

#157889 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:27 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Quote:

I know that we're all happy to see so many Aussies...

I will tell whether I like them or not ,after March 15th, 2003. In all probability, I won't...
By the way, what shoes does the Pope wear?

#157890 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:46 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Come now, let's not let a few petty quarrels between sports teams separate us...now now...we'll start a thread for India soon...as soon as I can get the other Indians to come inside...
So WHAT does the Pope wear on his feet Mother Goose?
Please tell us!

#157891 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:49 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Islingtonian Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Er, Islington.
London, UK
Quote:

Hush popies?

#157892 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:59 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Islingtonian, you've done this...I have never done this on the FT boards as of yet, but dang, my mascara's running down my cheeks like the tears of a clown now...and darn it...

LOL!

Is that how you do it? I've never done it before! Dire situations warrant dire solutions though...
Now will someone please tell us about the Pope's footwear?
I'm dying to know...then we can go back down under..

Underwear?

Prayboks?

#157893 - Mon Feb 10 2003 01:23 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

soap
after shave
toothbrush..

By the way, I reserve my comments to your statements -
(Why would I hate the Aussies? - In fact the Indian team is so hopeless otherwise. But when it comes to playing against Aussies, one or two always turn 'kickass' - one of our bastman gives Warne nightmares (he said it after Operation Desert Storm conducted by Sachin in 1998) and 'Sorry - No way 17' by Laxman, Turbanator and Dravid.
(By the way, if any of you didn't understand any of the above, ask an Aussie who watches Cricket)
and of course Aussies lost their number one test team status because they lost to us (and South Africa defeated us) in India.
I ain't saying any more (because the list is small and I don't want all the Aussies after my blood i.e. after the 15th

#157894 - Mon Feb 10 2003 03:07 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Biggles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: England
Quote:

we just want to be loved...

If that is true would you please take back Rolf Harris, your beer, Neighbours and stop beating us at cricket - then we may consider it.

#157895 - Mon Feb 10 2003 03:14 PM Re: The Pope's Shoes
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
Quote:

You're not going to believe this, but I actually sort of have a serious answer to this!
I was just watching a satirical show that's on here every night, and one of the thing the two presenters do is that every evening they phone someone who has some kind of connection to the news and ask them the kind of questions that no sane reporter would ask. Tonight they phoned some Italian shoemakers who have made shoes for Bush and Saddam, and the guy they spoke to told them that he has also made shoes for the pope. So, I don't know what kind of shoes the pope wears, but I can tell you that they are made by someone named Andrey who works near Milan and has a boss named Vitto!
(They also asked whether it would be possible to plant a bomb in Saddam's next pair of shoes, but Andrey said that Saddam always gets someone else to wear the shoes first. Then he suddenly announced that he has lots of Arab friends and told the interviewers that they are filthy murderers and that he hopes they die a horrible death. scary.)

#157896 - Mon Feb 10 2003 11:37 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Quote:

If that is true would you please take back Rolf Harris, your beer, Neighbours and stop beating us at cricket - then we may consider it.

Leave the beer alone (Give the devil his due - they make better beer than the rest (except for the Germans)

and Biggles - No offence meant but going by cricket standards, you will have to hate very nation in the world, wouldn't you?

By the way, a doubt to the English : Usually convicts are taught socially useful things while serving. What did you teach convicts (lets say around the last 200 to 300 years?)

#157897 - Tue Feb 11 2003 02:48 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Re: "By the way, what shoes does the Pope wear?"

Ask FunTrivia

#157898 - Tue Feb 11 2003 04:30 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Biggles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: England
Quote:

they make better beer than the rest (except for the Germans)

Many years ago I used to drink Fosters beer that was brewed in Australia and I really enjoyed it. When the draught version appeared in pubs I rushed to try it and all I can say it that it was cold, wet and brewed in the UK. Visiting Australians tell me it is nothing like the real thing.

Cricket has the problem in the UK that it is not seen as fashionable by young people, but a sport for the older generation. Football is very glamorous with the television coverage and the high wages payed to the players. The academic demands on schools mean that sports education has a low priority as it does not contribute to the examination results that determine the school's position in the league tables showing the best and worst schools. Also financial constraints have meant that many schools have sold all or part of their sports fields to raise funds.

#157899 - Tue Feb 11 2003 04:59 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Quote:

all I can say it that it was cold, wet and brewed in the UK.

it's meant to be cold and wet, just like the U.K.

#157900 - Tue Feb 11 2003 05:03 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ozzz2002 Offline

You are cruel, Jill

#157901 - Tue Feb 11 2003 05:05 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Quote:

By the way, a doubt to the English : Usually convicts are taught socially useful things while serving. What did you teach convicts (lets say around the last 200 to 300 years?)

That's what I meant by 'the guilt',
Ace. We needed to teach them something after all that abuse.

#157902 - Tue Feb 11 2003 06:29 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Maynooth Offline
Forum Adept

Let's see what was the thread? Oh yeah, how did you Aussies find FT?

Well I'm arf-n-arf, US-n-Aussie but I'm on FT because MotherGoose made me!

cheers
Maynooth

#157903 - Tue Feb 11 2003 08:30 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

I came to FT via a search for a games site containing trivia games and voila! here I am.I stayed in Quizzyland for a while, then discovered the forums. I love the whole site, so now I'm addicted!!
I love the daily quiz too, never miss it!

#157904 - Tue Feb 11 2003 06:32 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
How did I find FunTrivia? I have no idea.....I was looking for music quizzes and ended up here....and never really looked back (even after doing most of the music quizzes in Quizzyland - regardless of the fact that I really don't know that much about music! )

Quote:

Many years ago I used to drink Fosters beer that was brewed in Australia and I really enjoyed it. When the draught version appeared in pubs I rushed to try it and all I can say it that it was cold, wet and brewed in the UK. Visiting Australians tell me it is nothing like the real thing.

...Don't worry, mate. I'm told the same thing about Aussie Guinness....

#157905 - Wed Feb 12 2003 04:52 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
We're almost on that English Real Ale thing again aren't we?

My brother is on a visit to Australia right now. Looking out of the window here I wish I was with him. I'm a proud Brit but I have to say that if any Australians ever plan to visit England, make sure it's at the right time of year. The time to catch all that 'picture postcard' countryside really isn't now!

Back to the question. Although our good Australian friends are well represented here it seems to me that other nations are here to an equal degree. It would be interesting to get some proper statistics on the subject just to see if that's so.

Whether there are more Aussies here than others or not, I'm always glad to come here and see familiar and new screen names from that part of the world (even if they are good at Cricket!) Sometimes it's hard to grasp that Australia's only a couple of minutes away in Internet terms. The wonders of modern science eh!

#157906 - Wed Feb 12 2003 04:56 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Let me set the record straight. MotherGoose did not intentionally encourage Maynooth to visit FunTrivia. I rather suspect he's here because he got curious as to why I spend so much time here! Now we're always elbowing each other off the computer!

#157907 - Thu Feb 13 2003 04:59 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
Maybe the FT Aussies are curious about the rest of the world and this is good direct contact? I feel that. It's pretty bloody isolated down here and this is about the best instant avenue to the world there is. Where else can you chat about any world topic and get opinions from 60 countries. Where else can you get 2 months mileage about the Ashes cricket series and still get bites from the English punters!

#157908 - Sat Feb 15 2003 02:45 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I really find it terrible that the Aussies in here have to rub it in to the poor English about the cricket ,this shows a poor regard to their feelings and any Aussie that does this should be ashamed!There are far better things to discuss other than cricket,like say ummmmm, soccor for example.

#157909 - Sat Feb 15 2003 02:46 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Copago Offline

Oh DSR! you are so cruel!

psst ... head to the sports stadium ... there is a whole thread there devoted to it!

#157910 - Sat Feb 15 2003 07:41 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Personally I loath footie AND cricket, nothing against Aussies though.

#157911 - Sun Feb 16 2003 10:50 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Quote:

Personally I loath footie AND cricket, nothing against Aussies though.

Well.....at the risk of losing my citzenship.....so do I!

#157912 - Fri Feb 28 2003 03:37 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Beatka Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Luxembourg
Oh my... I bet you would be crucified in Poland for joking about the Pope's footwear! Luckily for you I seem to be the only one from Poland here, plus I have a great sense of humour .

#157913 - Fri Feb 28 2003 05:12 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Exit10 Offline

Tanzen,

How can you spend all your waking hours in a pub and not like footy?

Probably some of the best footballers around are either Aboriginal or Irish. Get your priorities right girl.

#157914 - Wed Apr 02 2003 04:18 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
How can you spend all your waking hours in a pub and not like footy?
Well some of us like the oval ball played to different rules. where England are NO1.
Seriously I'd have thought the FT membership was more like 30, 25, 25 percent US, Aussie, UK with a 10 percent other/floating membership from the posts I've seen, perhaps Terry could give the exact numbers.

#157915 - Wed Apr 02 2003 09:12 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
I know, I know....but footy...and sport in general....can't really hold my interest for that long....

#157916 - Wed Apr 02 2003 09:41 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

... but where are all the KIWIS??

#157917 - Wed Apr 02 2003 10:12 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Do we have any Kiwis in here?

#157918 - Thu Apr 03 2003 12:54 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
South Australia   
Quote:

... but where are all the KIWIS??

Sydney

#157919 - Thu Apr 03 2003 02:12 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Bondi to be exact..

#157920 - Thu Apr 10 2003 06:07 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

I am fully of non-Australian extraction. I am not wearing short pants, I still haven't figured out what "coming the raw prawn" is, and I go fishbelly white at the sight of even a non-poisonous snake. My knees are not terribly large, my name is not Bruce or Trev, I'm not particularly good at sport and I don't like beer. I think "bonzer" is a movie with Ronald Reagan in it. I hate Luc Longley. And I think Mel Gibson is barking.

However, today I tried vegemite for the first time.. and LIKED it!

OZZIE! OZZIE! OZZIE!

#157921 - Thu Apr 10 2003 06:21 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Close, but you're not quite there yet.
What about cricket?

#157922 - Thu Apr 10 2003 08:00 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Quote:

I am fully of non-Australian extraction. I am not wearing short pants, I still haven't figured out what "coming the raw prawn" is, and I go fishbelly white at the sight of even a non-poisonous snake. My knees are not terribly large, my name is not Bruce or Trev, I'm not particularly good at sport and I don't like beer. I think "bonzer" is a movie with Ronald Reagan in it. I hate Luc Longley. And I think Mel Gibson is barking.

Coolup, we're very similar, but I understand the prawn and bonza thing, love beer (maybe you've just been drinking the wrong stuff ) and am fairly apathetic on a Gibson/Longley stance....

...but then, I've never really been what most would consider "normal"

#157923 - Fri Apr 11 2003 02:13 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Don`t be fooled by Coolupway I have heard from a number of reliable sources he is really Steve Irwin in disguise.

#157924 - Fri Apr 11 2003 04:20 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Exit10 Offline

Ain't that the truth!

Next thing you know 'crikey' will have entered his posts and the English (or even Australian) language willl never be the same again.

Someone put him back in his box.

#157925 - Fri Apr 11 2003 04:30 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Copago Offline

STREWTH! Look at THAT! A yank that likes vegemite. See in his mouth here? No taste buds, that's what does it. Ohh, he's getting angry. Terri! Get back ... and he STRIKES! OUCH! i think he got me! Terri! get the book and see if these vegemite liking yanks are poisonous*. Nah, she'll be apples, safe as houses. These little tackers don't like being played with for too long, I'll just put him back in his home and we'll leave him alone. Oooo, that was close.

*he actually did this on one show he did in Tasmania. A snake bit him and they went and look up in a book, as calm as you like, to see if he should worry!

#157926 - Sat Apr 12 2003 04:25 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Thanks Copago I now live in hope that a typo in that book may save us yet.

#157927 - Sat Apr 12 2003 04:37 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Can we make Coolupway an honorary Aussie? He's got a racehorse named after a West Australian town, he's tried Vegemite (that's more than most Yanks would do) and, most importantly, he's got an Aussie-style sense of humour. The fact that he doesn't like beer is a point in his favour - he can be the designated driver (the "skipper") for the rest of us boozers!

#157928 - Sat Apr 12 2003 05:29 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Copago Offline

The one thing Australia is desperatly in need of is designated drivers. It should be on any immigration forms that anyone prepared to be the DD once a week should be given prioity status along with doctors who want to live outside of the cities.

#157929 - Sat Apr 12 2003 03:26 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
FT Aussies - I love them - straight forward, say what they mean and don't pull any punches and what's more they appreciate the responses given in the same manner in the way that they are intended (be it joking or serious).

#157930 - Sun Apr 13 2003 01:54 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

But he's not a plumber called Bruce or Trev. I'd have to hear his best 'maaaayte' first I think

#157931 - Sun Apr 13 2003 07:51 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Very moved, guys... thanks.

I have since tried the vegemite with gruyere cheese on a bagel and that worked, too.

I greatly wish to see the Island Continent as do my kids (who observed their hero Steve Irwin participating in a BELCHING contest last night on Nickelodeon). My wife and I would like to take them to see Korea (the land of their birth) at some point in the foreseeable future. Maybe we can work Oz into that one.

From that point it should be easy to get all the FT ozzies together in one place, since as we Yanks know from the map, Australia is a tiny country about the size of Delaware. Can we pick a place in the geographic center of Oz, and then perhaps MG, Maynooth, GTHO, ozzz, Dalgleish, Jim In Oz, Exit, roos, tanzen, proof, copago, natsim, wajo and Bertho can WALK there?? By my calculation, it's only about 3 miles from Brissie to Perth, and another 3 from Adelaide up north to Darwin, so it should be doable! And I'm buying.

Edited by Coolupway (Sun Apr 13 2003 08:01 AM)

#157932 - Sun Apr 13 2003 08:05 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Quote:

By my calculation, it's only about 3 miles from Brissie to Perth, and another 3 from Adelaide up north to Darwin, so it should be doable! And I'm buying.

Deal! I'll jump on the kangaroo we've got out back and 'll be there in a hop, or two.

#157933 - Sun Apr 13 2003 05:38 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Doug, you're buying?! Then these boots are made for walkin'!
Should get there, oh, around August or so if I leave now.

#157934 - Sun Apr 13 2003 07:38 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
ozzz2002 Offline

Quote:

The fact that he doesn't like beer is a point in his favour

I have tasted Bud and Coors, and I am not surprised Doug does not like beer.. these beverages (and I use the term VERY loosely), would be better off left in the cat from whence they came

Exit, you are closest to the suggested soirée location... can we all crash at your place?

#157935 - Sun Apr 13 2003 09:32 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Centre...hot...tanzen freckle and burn....

....eh stuff it, I'll go! Just give me some shade and a slab and I'll bet set!

#157936 - Mon Apr 14 2003 04:41 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Exit10 Offline

Absolutely! I've already chopped the wood for the barbie, and mown the lawn for kick the footy (sorry Dalgleish - maybe if this shindig carries on we'll get to cricket).

I've ordered the ice and seeing as you're all staying at my place everyone can drink to their heart's content.

Regretfully Steve Irwin won't be able to make it and sends his apologies.

#157937 - Mon Apr 14 2003 06:00 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Can I suggest you leave off the Beer (which is dire!) and try the excellant Aussie wines.

#157938 - Mon Apr 14 2003 01:31 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Another reason why OZ RULES!

#157939 - Mon Apr 14 2003 02:09 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I love it!

#157940 - Mon Apr 14 2003 02:25 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Of Course, even I loved it... (although for another reason)

Mera Bharat Mahaan

#157941 - Fri Apr 18 2003 07:01 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
ProofReader Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:

Can we pick a place in the geographic center of Oz, and then perhaps MG, Maynooth, GTHO, ozzz, Dalgleish, Jim In Oz, Exit, roos, tanzen, proof, copago, natsim, wajo and Bertho can WALK there?? By my calculation, it's only about 3 miles from Brissie to Perth, and another 3 from Adelaide up north to Darwin, so it should be doable! And I'm buying.

Maaaaaate, if you're buyin', I'll be there! See ya atop the local lump of rock ... that is, if you can handle the climb with yer jetlag?!

Exit, thanks for the offer of a coolibah tree to stash me swag under. I'll bring jumbuck or two to chuck on the barbie!

Psssst ... who's gunna tell Cool how far the walk is from Darwin International Airport?

#157942 - Fri Apr 18 2003 11:42 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

"And I'm buying."

Maynooth says "There is no such thing as "the tyranny of distance" when a free beer's involved!"

#157943 - Sat Apr 19 2003 08:37 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
Maynooth Offline
Forum Adept

Apparently Uluru has sunk into the very earth of the red centre. It's a sad moment for all Australians.
It seems that word got out about someone shouting out past the black stump, up around the Alice and it was like a brumby stampede. The sheer weight of the respondents caused the monolith to sink like the Batavia into the red sand.

...hats removed, moment of silence....

The Olgas are still up though, just a change of venue. Nothing interferes with a shout down under.
Is there a good pie shop near the Olgas?

cheers
Maynooth

#157944 - Fri Apr 25 2003 02:14 AM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Kata Tjuta [the Olgas]sounds nice,there`s a great place in them called The Valley Of The Winds,I`ll bring the kangaroo sausages,witchetty grubs and croc burgers if there is free beer! Lol Maynooth,there isn`t a great pie shop handy,theyr`e a bit pricey at Ayers rock resort but the local service station DOES have a freezer full of kangaroo tails![I nearly fell over when i saw em].Anyone for soup with their beer?

Edited by damnsuicidalroos (Fri Apr 25 2003 02:21 AM)

#157945 - Tue Apr 29 2003 09:18 PM Re: A rare FT Non-Aussie
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
Quote:

I`ll bring the kangaroo sausages,witchetty grubs and croc burgers

...Hmm, never been so glad to be a vegetarian in all my life!

#157946 - Sat May 03 2003 05:56 PM Re: Call that an ally?
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

#157947 - Wed May 28 2003 03:34 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
etartherat10 Offline
Mainstay

I'm british, and Australians got their accent and customs from us, as the British Empire once owned Australia.

#157948 - Wed May 28 2003 04:07 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Australians got their accent and customs from us

What do ya mean - these Aussies are your blood (brothers & sisters).
A long time ago, some men and women of 'character' were sent down to Ozland from England (It was recently discovered that the wrong batch of people were sent....)

.....Could some Aussie take over?

#157949 - Wed May 28 2003 04:12 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Heaven forbid that my accent could be thought of being like the Australian accent or probably they would say that they hope they don't sound in the slightest bit like me! Marmite is far superior to Vegemite, so there! :)

#157950 - Wed May 28 2003 04:19 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
snm Offline
Mainstay

Today I saw the crocodile guy on TV for the very first time, on Fox News. There were no real crocodiles, but he was wrestling stuffed animals, cameramen, chairs, and the hosts of "Fox & Friends".

#157951 - Wed May 28 2003 04:26 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

etar, you got any evidence to back up this wild Britain/Australia theory of yours? I mean, I never saw Margaret Thatcher or John Major throwing shrimp or snags on the barbie or anything.

??

#157952 - Wed May 28 2003 05:00 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
Quote:

etar, you got any evidence to back up this wild Britain/Australia theory of yours?

Mate, I think you've taken this honorary Aussie status a little bit too far!

Er......wait a minute......hang on, I rescind (oh b*$$er, I hate doing this, so often!) Just come across a Total Sport article from 1999 from Jonny Wilkinson,(I'm sure you'll know who he is?)........

Tum te tum te tum......tum tum te tum te tum te tum te tum!

OK,here is the quote, : "But losing 76-0 to Australia was particularly hardto take. You can imagine the mood in the dressing room afterwards. No-one could believe what had happened.Most of us just sat staring into space. It was a horrible place to be"........OK that's enough!

It's going to be a good year for English Rugby Union. Get on board Cool.

I'll just finish with a quote from the Sydney Morning Herald that I believe will finish where we came in...

"In 1788, England sent its losers to Australia. Two Hundred and Ten years later, nothing has changed"

mmmm...

(I was going to add something but no doubt I'll end up with a size 9 in me mouth????)

wez(quietly confident!)

#157953 - Wed May 28 2003 05:08 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

I will have to plead to the Yank's TOTAL IGNORANCE of anything rugby-related.

About 30 years ago there was a fairly decent harness horse who competed in the New York area whose name was The Scrumhalf. EVERYONE OVER HERE thought this was obscene and hence risible.

#157954 - Wed May 28 2003 06:48 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
ozzz2002 Offline

Quote:

Australians got their accent and customs from us

A highly offended Aussie here, and I must take exception to this statement!
Etar, I am not sure how many Aussies you know, but the easiest way to tell the difference between a Brit and an Australian is to wait till they open their mouth. I have many Pommy friends (obviously the smarter ones) that have moved Down Under, and many of them have unintelligible accents and language... And please do not get me started on the Scots and the Welsh!

The other way to tell us apart is that we have a tan.

I also believe that the good old US of A had some involvement with the Brits an odd century or three ago. I am not sure who you would be disparaging if you got those two accents confused.

Coolupway, just be thankful that that trotter was not named after other positions in Rugby- what would the Yanks say to a horse called 'The Hooker', or 'The Fly Half'? The mind boggles!

Have I missed alienating anyone with this post? If so, I apologise...

#157955 - Thu May 29 2003 12:15 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
But I haven't got an English bone in my body.... does that mean I'm not Australian??

Tanzen
(The token vegetarian non-English-Aussie in FT??)

#157956 - Thu May 29 2003 03:07 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

... or a yearling for sale from 'Loose Head Prop' and 'Blind Side Flanker' called 'Gilbert'...

No worries Cool, I'm envious you know nothing about rugby. The games done nothing but move my nose to odd angles and give me a permanent clicking in the space that used to be occupied by knee cartlidge!

I just love the poms confidence going into this great ruggers tournament, and I'll admitt it's well deserved confidence, but I'm trying to remember when a touring English side went home with a trophy from these red soils. I'm not that old! lol

#157957 - Thu May 29 2003 03:32 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Ah ha! Marmite is English ,thanks Sue I always thought it odd that granny gave me Marmite instead of Vegemite.Poor gran came over here from England when she was 20, died here 50 years later still English.

#157958 - Thu May 29 2003 05:07 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Exit10 Offline

So that's why you look like your avatar Bertho.

Tanzen, you're as Australian as the day is long. No disputing that whatsoever.

#157959 - Thu May 29 2003 05:44 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

I resemble that remark Exit!

#157960 - Thu May 29 2003 08:36 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Quote:

posted by Coolupway:
I will have to plead to the Yank's TOTAL IGNORANCE of anything rugby-related.

The USA qualified for the 2003 Rugby World Cup, when they beat Spain last month to grab the last spot in the tournament. Did that make the news over yonder .. earlier this month the USA thumped Japan 69-17

#157961 - Thu May 29 2003 08:49 AM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
snm Offline
Mainstay

Thumping Japan 69-17 in Rugby is a bit of a non-victory. The last time I saw Japan play (I think it was during the World Cup in South-Africa, in 1994 or '95) New-Zealand beat them by about 120 points! I mean I know it's the All Blacks, but still, how many converted tries is that?

#157962 - Thu May 29 2003 01:28 PM Re: Curious about FT Aussies!
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
I haven't seen the current team yet but the Japanese team normally plays a technically brilliant and fast paced game of football I find them very exciting to watch. It is not reasonable to expect them to win against teams which in the case of the Kiwis can be almost twice thier weight. Yet I have never seen them give up. The best game of international rugby I have ever seen was between the Japanese and the Pumas. Unless the Yanks have improved immeasurably (possible) 69 - 17 is a creditable win against Japan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  bloomsby