Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160970 - Wed Feb 26 2003 02:54 PM Au Revoir French Fries!
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
What is next?

Are French toast, French knots, French poodles, French wines, French dip, French doors, French braids, French cheeses, French cuffs, or French kisses safe from this madness?

As for now, there is movement to change the names of some things traditionally preceded by the word “French” and it is all going to start with “French fries.”

Because of France’s reluctance to back the U.S. in a war with Iraq, some Americans feel moved to change the name “French fries” into “freedom fries” or “American fries.”

How do you say the word "petty" in French?

Read more here.

#160971 - Wed Feb 26 2003 03:07 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
Surely this is something that does NOT need to be taking up the tiime of county officials? How incredibly stupid!

#160972 - Wed Feb 26 2003 04:25 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Teallach Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scottish Highlands
All I can say is 'Vive La Belle France'
Sometimes political correctness can be taken too far!

#160973 - Wed Feb 26 2003 04:35 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
Just revert to 'Mother English' and call them chips. Mind you, then you have to call your chips, 'crisps'...... and then... er, let's just leave it as it is shall we?

France....... A culinary Nation. Not a lot of good for anything else though!

wez

#160974 - Wed Feb 26 2003 04:43 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
Quote:

Just revert to 'Mother English' and call them chips. Mind you, then you have to call your chips, 'crisps'...... and then... er, let's just leave it as it is shall we?

Or you could use South-African English and call them all chips

Quote:

France....... A culinary Nation

Apparently, with everything that's going on in the world these days, the top news story in France is about a chef who killed himself because he got a bad review!

#160975 - Wed Feb 26 2003 04:48 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
Mate........exactly.

I'll say no more.

#160976 - Wed Feb 26 2003 06:07 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
Mon Dieu!

#160977 - Wed Feb 26 2003 07:49 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
Stupid is as stupid does. Now people are offended by french fries... my oh my! PC got the snowball rollin' and here we are.

#160978 - Wed Feb 26 2003 08:04 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Lanni Offline
Prolific

This name change thing isn’t a new concept.

I read earlier today that in the early 1900’s, sauerkraut became “liberty cabbage” and German toast became “French toast.”

#160979 - Wed Feb 26 2003 10:51 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Persian cats, Alsatian dogs and Irish wolfhounds the world over must be about to suffer identity crises...

What a ridiculous concept, and how will they legislate against it? Fries police?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#160980 - Thu Feb 27 2003 10:58 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Quote:

how will they legislate against it?

They will probably make it a federal hate crime to use any terminology involving the word "french". You see, in America the majority must never, ever offend the minority no matter how small or no matter how ridiculous the perceived offense. In fact, the offense is defined and determined by the said offended and to question the alleged offense is "insensitive", "bigoted", and "politically incorrect". After all, who am I to say that something is not really offensive if I am not the one who feels wronged or offended.

#160981 - Thu Feb 27 2003 03:59 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
robmeister Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Quote:

You see, in America the majority must never, ever offend the minority no matter how small or no matter how ridiculous the perceived offense. In fact, the offense is defined and determined by the said offended and to question the alleged offense is "insensitive", "bigoted", and "politically incorrect".

If you want a good ("dramatized") example of PC run amuck, check out the first "South Park" Christmas episode. It's extreme (and likely to never happen), but it does show how people who are easily offended by something we have taken for granted for generations can ruin entire cultural signifances (in this case, Christmas).

*Steps on soapbox*

It is ridiculous that people refuse to learn from their own mistakes! On February 19, 1942, President Franklin Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066. For those not in-the-know, Executive Order 9066 made it legal to force Americans of Japanese descent to live in internment camps. Perhaps the most famous person who had lived in one of these camps is actor George Takei (Sulu of "Star Trek"), who still goes on the lecture circuit to tell people of his experiences.

When will people learn that cultures exist for a reason: To recognize the important differences and diversities between our peoples? This hate-mongering isn't going to get us anywhere!

SIDE NOTE -- Isn't it funny that no one seems to have heard of a similar order issued for German-Americans? In fact, Nazi POWs in Texas had more rights than Black soldiers! Now, that was clear-cut hypocrisy at its finest!

*Steps down from soapbox*

Besides, "American Fries" is already an existing food item. They are deep-fried sliced potatoes, similar to potato chips, but thicker. Also known as "Home Fries."

There. I'm done (for now).

#160982 - Thu Feb 27 2003 07:10 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
Where is the rolling your eyes smiley (instant graemlin)? Geez!

Next the paranoids will try to get nail salons to quit giving french manicures!

I feel the rebellious streak in me rising up and deciding that I just cannot waltz into Mc Donalds or wherever and order Freedom Fries, so I am going to continue to call them french fries
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#160983 - Fri Feb 28 2003 05:04 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
For all lovers of peace, fries, surprises and terminological accuracy : try www.belgianfries.com/index.cfm?Module=histor1 about the origin of the word "french" fries.

#160984 - Wed Mar 12 2003 12:35 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Lanni Offline
Prolific

The madness has not stopped.

Now the cafeterias in the House of Representatives have renamed not only French fries but also French toast.

Aren't there better things to do?

Source

#160985 - Wed Mar 12 2003 03:30 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Well, then I guess I'm going to be a rebel and call them FRENCH fries still.

I mean, why are we all mad at France? They're expressing the opinion of THEIR government that Iraq is not much of a threat to their security. Why would the US have a problem with that? If the French started throwing out all American things (ok, I admit, bad example), don't you think the US would have a cow over it?

So why is it ok for us to do stuff like this, just as long as no one goes against the US?

Editor for Television Category

#160986 - Wed Mar 12 2003 03:37 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
I just read that article about what's going on in Congress and I think what they are doing is stupid and childish. Why waste time renaming foods when we have terrorists to worry about? Why isolate and offend countries who don't support us when so few support us to begin with?
Friends, like the U.S. allies, are not supposed to agree with everything their friends or allies say. If our allies become a bunch of "yes men" then we will lose a lot of valuable insight into tough situations.

I'll take my FRENCH fries, FRENCH toast and FRENCH dip, thank you very much!

#160987 - Wed Mar 12 2003 06:41 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Cahyay Offline
Explorer

Loc: Missouri USA 
It's great to know with all the impending war hoopla going on that the US government can still function properly. Democracy at its finest hour, eh?

I'm a little concerned however. An alarming number of bad Americans do not support the war, what are we going to do with all the things that refer to or mention America(n)? American cheese will now be known as Pro-War cheese? Instead of God Bless America, we'll have God Bless only those Americans who 100% support freedom as seen through the eyes of the Bush Administration. Nice ring to it, but it's hard to put that on a bumper sticker.

You know what, I've got it figured out! I think we should do away with everything that isn't strickly American. We could be the perfect society. We will only keep animals with American heritage...damn French poodles. Only eat foods with American names...bye bye Chinese Chicken. Only 100% pure American here...bleach blonde and blue eyes need only apply for citizenship. Hang on, that sounds familar.

And for those rebellious Americans out to bunk the system, I support burning all the bushes in your yard as a sign of protest.

Merde.

#160988 - Wed Mar 12 2003 06:59 PM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
Quote:

bleach blonde and blue eyes need only apply for citizenship. Hang on, that sounds familar.

Oh yes, definitely. After changing the name of a food the next step is certainly going to be a move towards racial purity. I'm surprised no one's brought up the Nuremberg laws yet in this thread.

(P.S- just in case anyone didn't get it, that was a sarcastic comment).

#160989 - Thu Mar 13 2003 05:04 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I mean, why are we all mad at France? They're expressing the opinion of THEIR government that Iraq is not much of a threat to their security.

No, they are not. They are protecting their own oil interests and military contracts in the middle east specifically with Iraq. It is not a moral issue with them it is an economic one. Their motives are no more pure than Americas, probably less so. America is fighting a war against terrorism; two attacks against the WTC, one against the pentagon, one against the USS Cole, attacks against embassies, several attacks thrawted, and many more planned. These attacks have killed thousands. France is voting for their pocketbook. They have a right to make that stand and their allies, who need their help, have the right to remind them that their economic fortunes lie in more than one direction. Yes, the renaming of food is stupid but don't be surprised if boycotts of French imports occur. And before anyone begins to bash the bully U.S. for boycotting poor little France remember boycotts are just a form of protest, no different than millions marching in the street against the U.S. and in support of the "Butcher of Baghdad".

#160990 - Thu Mar 13 2003 05:24 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
hegley Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Quote:

America is fighting a war against terrorism; two attacks against the WTC, one against the pentagon, one against the USS Cole, attacks against embassies

.. and this has what, exactly, to do with Iraq???

How many more times are these attacks going to be trotted out as an excuse to go to war with Hussein?

Pro-war is one thing; perpetuating the fallacy that it has anything to do with 9/11, or a moral responsibility to the people of Iraq, or indeed, anything other than oil, is quite another.

Quote:

millions marching in the street against the U.S. and in support of the "Butcher of Baghdad".

So, anyone marching against the US is marching for Hussein? Lucky things in the world are so straightforward really, otherwise we'd be in a terrible mess, wouldn't we?

#160991 - Thu Mar 13 2003 05:45 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Perhaps you are correct. And since every action the U.S. takes is about oil, then I think we should invade our largest supplier of oil--that threat to world stabilazation- Canada! After all, they have called Bush names, and we all know how that cowboy reacts to being called names.

Secondly, I am not pro-war and if you read any of my other posts you would know this; but now that our troops are over there and war seems inevitable I will stand and support my country and its servicemen and women.

We have placed no moral responsibility upon the oppressed people of Iraq. They have no freedom to make decisions. It amazes me simply how easy it seems for people to sit back and drink their lattes and absolve Hussein of all links to terrorism. And the only reason he is not a present military threat to his neighbors is because of the first gulf war. Frankly, I wish we would pull out and let the world have its way (I don't want to go to war anyway) and just let it be known that the next terrorist attack against the U.S. or U.S. interests or against those of Britian, Spain, Qatar, and other nations who supported us will result in immediate retaliation- no UN santions required. But of course, Saddam would never give financial or material support to terrorists, nor would he harbor them. He's such a lovable cuss that just wants to rule his own dictatorship; if only Bush were more like Saddam. Pass the latte.

#160992 - Thu Mar 13 2003 06:17 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Well before getting a scoop of Liberty vanilla...with flecks of red white and blue instead of vanilla bean...I heard something pretty funny today...the French were saying that if this keeps up, they'll have to begin seeing the use of American on menus and other places in France...
As Flemmish knows, the use of Amoricaine or Americaine for a sauce, has a long history, but it's actually supposed to be Amoricaine rather than American...or Brittany.

Then I suppose they'd have to change the American bars...those are, well not terribly nice places...as opposed to a bar that is more a café..

We have of course heard of these things on the news here...yet, I'd say that seriously people find it kind of sad...

#160993 - Thu Mar 13 2003 06:50 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
hegley Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Diehard, you've forgotten to mention too that 25% of Canadians have French as their first language!! Surely grounds for some sort of boycott?

I apologise for implying you were pro-war - I actually meant that the pro-war lobby have used the 'terrorist link' as justification for the possible (probable?) war with Iraq which I find disingenuous to say the least.

And I'm by no means absolving Hussein of all links - but the momentum for this war has snowballed out of the events of 9/11 and I don't think anyone is still trying to suggest that Hussein is linked to Al-Quaeda or OBL.

And harbouring terrorists? I believe Syria, Libya and Saudi are pretty high on the list of places to start looking (with 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers coming from the latter) ... and talking of Libya, it wasn't so long ago that the headlines were screaming about another mad dog, accusing him of similar crimes - funny how history repeats itself ...

In fact, the USA and UK haven't exactly been paragons of virtue when it comes to the harbouring of terrorists either.

#160994 - Thu Mar 13 2003 09:44 AM Re: Au Revoir French Fries!
Biggles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: England
What about French Kissing???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943