Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#161350 - Sat Mar 01 2003 03:46 AM Can you freeze yogurt?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Does anyone know if you can freeze natural/plain yogurt?

ta

#161351 - Sat Mar 01 2003 03:59 AM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Of course you can, mate... just whack it in the freezer! That's what it is for

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#161352 - Sat Mar 01 2003 04:03 AM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
Copago Offline

alrighty then.

Next question ... would it be alright to eat after a couple weeks in the freezer?

#161353 - Sat Mar 01 2003 04:13 AM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Sorry, no idea, but I would imagine so. How is the commercial 'frozen yoghurt' treated?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#161354 - Sat Mar 01 2003 07:54 AM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I found this , Jill
Yes, you may freeze yogurt. The fact that it is plain yogurt is good, in that there are no other ingredients that can be affected by the freezing (and thawing) process. Remember, however, whenever you freeze anything (especially something that has a smooth texture, like yogurt), that texture may be somewhat effected. With yogurt, you will find that after you thaw it out, there will be a slight separation of the solids and the whey (liquid portion). You may either pour off some or all of the liquid, or stir it back in. Other than this factor, I do not foresee any problems with your freezing this food product, especially if you are using it for sauces, marinades, etc. I imagine that it would be as ggod as any other dairy product as far as time length is concerned."
However, we make our own and it is much nicer and very easy and of course fresh every time
All you need is a bit of yoghourt and some warm milk
My OM puts it in the eski until it thickens
it is very nice.

#161355 - Sat Mar 01 2003 08:12 AM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
My sister keeps on freezing yoghurts and then forgetting about them for months at a time. I believe at one point we actually had a type of yogurt in the freezer that had been off the market for the better part of a year!

#161356 - Sat Mar 01 2003 10:03 AM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BritishColumbia Canada
When I was in high school we used to freeze small, individual sized yogurts. Mom would buy them on the weekend and we'd line them up in the door rack of the freezer. Each morning we'd toss one in our lunch bag and by noon they were quite nicely defrosted yet cold. It worked fine and we never suffered any ill effects. I would agree, though, that the quality might suffer, and I don't think you'd want to freeze it for more than a month or two! Look what happens to your ice cubes or meat if it's there for too long!

#161357 - Sat Mar 01 2003 02:03 PM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
Copago Offline

ah great ... thanks

#161358 - Sat Mar 01 2003 10:38 PM Re: Can you freeze yogurt?
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I buy my favourite yoghurt in the large 1 litre carton, then pour it into small Tupperware containers - I get 7 serves out of l litre. Then I freeze them and eat them whenever. I usually eat them frozen, but if I put one in my lunch box it is usually thawed (but still cold) by lunchtime. I have found that normal yoghurt freezes and thaws well. But the freezing process seems to affect the diet yoghurts (I guess it must have something to do with the presence/absence of fat and sugar).

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong