Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#163025 - Wed Mar 12 2003 04:29 PM Elizabeth Smart: Found ALIVE
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Reports are coming in from SLC that she's been found alive. CNN says she was found in a restaurant while the radio station I'm listening to says she was found when the car of a drifter was pulled over.

Update:

From MSNBC.com: THE TEEN’S disappearance from her home June 5 in Salt Lake City sparked a massive search and nationwide media attention.
Elizabeth, who was 14 at the time of her disappearance, was with a middle-aged man named Emmanuel Mitchell and an unidentified woman, police in suburban Sandy said, NBC reported.
Mitchell was a handyman in the Smart home for one day about nine months before Elizabeth’s disappearance.
A citizen called police to report a suspicious group of people at a Burger King in Sandy, NBC reported.
Salt Lake City police were interviewing Elizabeth with her parents.

Edited by ladymacb29 (Wed Mar 12 2003 04:35 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#163026 - Wed Mar 12 2003 04:52 PM Re: Elizabeth Smart: Found ALIVE
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
I've been hearing that she was found in a car as well.

It is hard to believe that after more than 16,000 leads, she has been found.

I hope she is well.

This is from about seven minutes ago.

#163027 - Fri Mar 14 2003 10:41 AM Re: Elizabeth Smart: Found ALIVE
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
What a happy outcome! It is truly wonderful that she is home and safe.

There are so many unanswered questions about why she couldn't notify authorities about her whereabouts. I'm not sure I buy the brainwashing theories. I think we will never know the entire truth of what went on during the period that she was missing--I suspect that both the police and her family will do everything possible to protect her reputation, and that might include omitting some info. The main focus will turn to building a case against her abductor.

I have always felt that she was able to get in touch with her family and let them know that she was alive (even if she didn't tell them anything else). I am still convinced that she did do that--but I think we might never know the truth of that either. Her family always seemed convinced that she was alive--and I don't think that was all the result of their strong religious faith--I think it was because they had heard from her.

So many strange twists with this story. It will be interesting to see more of it unfold.

But it is a joy that this ended happily--if only more missing child cases could have an outcome like this.

I can imagine how many networks and newspapers are fighting to get an interview with Elizabeth.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943