Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#166082 - Tue Apr 01 2003 05:37 AM Booker Prize nominations
Islingtonian Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Er, Islington.
London, UK
Odd timing, but the nominations for this year's Booker prize have just been published. The list has already caused controversy, because it covers not only more traditional works (such as "White Sound" by Andrei Panchelsky, and "The Death of Shakespeare" by Sandra Miles), but also for the first time a contribution from the world of children's literature - "I've Lost my Underpants" by Suzy Jones. This 10 page illustrated pictureback, telling the story of a child's search for its lost underwear, has surprised publishers by proving a commercial and critical success, but a chance at the Booker has surpassed all expectations.

What do you think of this? Should the Booker panel be sticking to great works of adult literature, or should the contribution of children's fiction to the modern world be recognised?

#166083 - Thu Apr 03 2003 01:16 PM Re: Booker Prize nominations
radioderv Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ireland
Yes. I think children's fiction has just as much merit as adult literatures, especially if it tackles universal themes. Children's books are my secret vice.

#166084 - Thu Apr 03 2003 02:23 PM Re: Booker Prize nominations
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
I don't think Children's literature should be lumped in with adult literature and judged accordingly, no.

That children's literature can be great, and profound, and affect children deeply for years to come, I do not doubt, but it needs its own separate awards--and it has them.

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom