Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#167109 - Fri Jul 13 2007 09:25 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
CtyCkonaFarm Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Kentucky USA
I have had a problem with an editor..I am very new to this site..I was twice accused of "plagiarizing" when I tried to submit my quiz (same quiz)..I tried to follow the "help" section, but it seams that you can not complain about a "editor"..So what do you do?
This editor stated "that I don't want to be able to "google" the information about your answers and find it almost word for word".....
The following was my reply...

In your quiz #46 I found the information on the answer to question #1 as follows in part.....

And I quote, " a Sumerian describes dental decay as "tooth worms"
Please take note of the 1st and 2nd lines of the Google response..

I Googled the first line of YOUR "information" and found the below..

Web Results 1 - 10 of 10 for Sumerians described the activity of "tooth worms". . (0.30 seconds)

Tip: Save time by hitting the return key instead of clicking on "search"

Dental Education For ChildrenBut wait, in 5000 BC, a Sumerian text describes dental decay as “tooth worms” and about 260BC, an inscription on the tomb of Hesy-Rey an Egyptian scribe, ...
www.drdugaandassociates.com/dental-education-for-children.htm - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

I see that your "information" can also be "googled directly"...Please, in the future, make sure of your own quiz's before accusing someone else of "plagiarizing" as you have done to me.......

I would like for you to "pull my quiz" if you can. I will delete it, otherwise, myself, if I am able...

Double standards are something that I do not wish to be involved with..

Thanks for you time.......

#167110 - Sat Jul 14 2007 02:34 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: CtyCkonaFarm]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
We do not appreciate you placing the same post in two threads, it is totally unnecessary.

As was said in the other thread, there is a procedure for reporting problems with an editor and it is anchored towards the top of this forum. Since you appear not to be able to find it I will post a link to it here...

http://www.funtrivia.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=0#Post488638

As you will see there is a choice of two contacts.

#167111 - Mon Jul 30 2007 10:52 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: reader11]
Sara_Marie_41 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
those dumb editor took mine and won't accept a new one until the one, they destoryed, it online. that's messed it.

#167112 - Mon Jul 30 2007 11:15 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Sara_Marie_41]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Please do not insult our editors.

#167113 - Mon Jul 30 2007 12:40 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sue943]
Sara_Marie_41 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
my fault

#167114 - Mon Aug 06 2007 02:37 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Sara_Marie_41]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
How very odd Sara. By the look of your capitalisation and spelling skills, I am really not surprised it wasn't passed.

Dumb? Ok. We may reserve different judgments about your use of the word in this context!

#167115 - Fri Feb 08 2008 12:16 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
deadlydalton Offline
Explorer

Loc: Ayr Scotland UK
I have been asked to supply a manual to my answers.

Do I place a reference in each answer to where the info came from, or just post a link for people to look up?

#167116 - Fri Feb 08 2008 12:25 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: deadlydalton]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

That's an interesting question.
Please ask the editor who sent you the message.

#167117 - Sat Mar 08 2008 06:15 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: gtho4]
juls12 Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
I've noticed quite a bit of sarcasm and belittlement on the part of many responding to the frustration involved in getting a quiz online. No misspelling was involved in mine(except spelling traveler as traveller), yet I also have received about 5 rejection notices regarding my lighthearted quiz about 80s movies. The bone of contention appears to be that I haven't written enough description regarding my answers. As of my last resubmit, each answer has about 5-6 sentences. I don't think with an answer like "Charlie Sheen" I should have to go into detail about who he is and what he looks like.

Adding to my frustration, almost turning into outright contempt, is that I've come across many other recently approved quizzes which are truly dumbed down. My editor told me my questions were "boring and repetitative." How is this for a dumb question:

"Would a musical with Nazis, wimples, daring escapes, thunderstorms be butch enough for you? Which one is it?"

What does butch mean, exactly? I hope the person is not referring to gay people becasue that would be rude and insensitive. Does the grammar strike you as off at all? It should. As much as I've enjoyed this website over the years, this experience is almost enough to make say "enough." My editor kept telling me to put punctuation outside of quotation marks, this question doesn't appear to have done that. The inconsistency regarding quizzes is laughable. I really hope I didn't just get unlucky with some rogue Nazi editor - looking at most of the recently added quizzes it does appear so, however.

#167118 - Sat Mar 08 2008 06:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Please do not single out the quizzes of another author in a public forum like this - you would not like it if a quiz of yours were to be held up to contempt.

If you have a problem with your quiz submission, please work it out in private with your editor.

#167119 - Sat Mar 08 2008 08:16 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
Nannanut Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wollongong NSW Australia      
Anyone submitting a quiz needs to follow guidelines as set down for that category. Quizzes will be rejected if the guidelines aren't followed. It doesn't matter if you submitted a large portion of text - what matters is its relevance to the question asked.

Quizzes will be rejected until the guidelines have been applied satisfactorily, and I think you might find most editors are pretty consistent in expecting this.

I think your description of any staff member in the terms you have used is offensive, inappropriate and certainly misplaced.

Editor: Movies, Celebrities and General

#167120 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:01 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

My editor kept telling me to put punctuation outside of quotation marks, this question doesn't appear to have done that.

I consistently fix this in quizzes myself, putting punctuation outside the quotation marks. It's a small habit that I won't enforce, but that I make a note to correct because it's out of place unless it's a direct quotation.
For example, having a sentence like "...Jenny was a 'sitting duck,' but she never noticed until now." would mean that the comma is part of what needs to be understood or emphasized- in my mind, at least.

#167121 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:16 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
juls12 Offline
Participant

I guess my frustration in this process has been misunderstood. I don't have a grudge against the editor, I just feel the submission process is greatly flawed. My problem is not with him/her, it is with the website. I don't think for a second that this person is acting on their own just trying to get a rise out of me.

In regards to my "offensive" characterization, how is implying (not outright stating) what I said offensive yet a quiz asking "is that butch enough for you" not?

If someone were to come on a forum and call a quiz I did dumb, I probably wouldn't take it personally. But you are correct, and I do apologize to said quizmaker. My comments should have been only directed at the grammar involved in the quiz and not the content it contained.

A sample question from my quiz is: "Which of the following actors appeared in all these films from the 80's : "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Wall Street," and "Platoon?" The problems with the grammar in this question are nothing compared to the grammatical errors in the aforementioned approved quiz. Apparantly no apostrophe is needed between 80s and the punctuation should be moved outside the quotations. OK, got it now. Writing three sentences detailing Charlie Sheen's (the answer) roles in those three films isn't enough, apparently.

What else would you, the reader, wish to know about Mr. Sheen? Perhaps where he was born? What color hair he has? The fact that he and Denise Richards are divorced? How would any of those pertain to the question at hand? Does anyone taking a quiz titled "Movies/Actors of the 80s" really need an in depth detailing of Charlie Sheen?

What did the description to the answer of the "butch" question entail, you ask?

"The first of several musicals with Nazis prominent. It's not all nuns and kids you know." Wow, informative. I really learned something about "The Sound Of Music" there.

On a sidenote, through all the resubmissions the editor never once caught that I spelled Daryl Hannah wrong (with two r's). I caught that myself today before I resubmitted the quiz for the 6th time. Seems to me that might be something actually worthy of a correction.

Edited by juls12 (Sat Mar 08 2008 09:40 PM)

#167122 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:41 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
juls12 Offline
Participant

Sorry about "The Blues Brothers" bit, I was dead wrong. Willing and glad to admit it. Even though I wouldn't consider it a musical, Wikipedia and IMDB do.

Actually, all things considered, I give up in general. Sorry to anyone I may have offended, I wish you all the best in future endeavors. Maybe I took 'fun'trivia a little too serious. Adios!

Edited by juls12 (Sat Mar 08 2008 09:50 PM)

#167123 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:54 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
Nannanut Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wollongong NSW Australia      
I think you need to concentrate on getting your own quiz online by applying the guidelines requested of you. Hauling out examples from other quizzes and in essence criticising that editing isn't constructive.

Your sarcasm when referring to editors and editing styles is unacceptable no matter how frustrated you may feel.

Editor: Movies, Celebrities and General

#167124 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:14 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Nannanut is right, obviously, but Sue's canonical line bears repeating:

"If you have a dispute with an editor when trying to get a quiz online this forum is not the place to post about it."

#167125 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:34 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
juls12 Offline
Participant

Did not realize this forum was not the correct forum to be airing my concerns on. I understand, in the moment, that it deals with people confused about what to do if they get a rejection letter. My bad, honestly. My dispute isn't with the editor, however.

Perhaps I haven't met the guidelines, however unless you've read the quiz you don't know either. As for sarcasm, well, I guess this isn't the right forum for that either. I used it to outline my frustration of what I feel is a double standard of sorts being applied to submission of quizzes. Perhaps my dosage was a bit too concentrated and personal.

In my eyes, the stated goals of this website for new quizzes aren't being applied across the board. Or maybe my interpretation of said new goals is incorrect. I did also read that if too many quizzes for a subject exist then the chances are less for approval, which I strongly disagree with.

For instance, there are dozens and dozens of quizzes regarding "degrees of seperation" in films. However, it is hard to find a difficult - tough quiz that deals with seperation in films after 2001.

Without demeaning any one particular quizmaker or topic I will just say that many of these "new" topics are pretty questionable (in my opinion). Maybe you're just trying to gain some new audiences, that's fine. I understand, probably the majority of people come here and look for easy-average quizzes dealing with any number of random things.

I probably sound like my grandpa from the Great Depression era, talking about all these whipper-snappers and their silly new ideas. I just like taking my hard quizzes pertaining to history, geography, sports, movies, and more history. I'm probably pretty boring, and I am definitely not the demographic you're trying to reach. So I'll just shut up and stop trying to make new quizzes. As long as a plethora of good hard quizzes I like to take keep getting posted I have no real reason to complain.

Thanks to all for your efforts, keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by juls12 (Sat Mar 08 2008 10:58 PM)

#167126 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:46 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I did also read that if too many quizzes for a subject exist then the chances are less for approval, which I strongly disagree with.

This can be disputed in many ways. Although quizzes on specific topics are popular, increased volume of said topics means that questions are extremely repetitive. This is why it is harder to get quizzes online in popular categories, and why some are actually restricted.
If one takes a unique approach to the quiz, or happens to use non-repetitive questions, then there's no reason why the quiz can't go online (unless the player doesn't follow the guidelines).

Quote:

...and I am definitely not the demographic you're trying to reach.

Funtrivia tries to aim for various demographics. It's why we have the For Children category, as well as in-depth history quizzes, quizzes on specific books, and more on particle physics. We try to cover all the bases.

#167127 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:52 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
juls12 Offline
Participant

you are correct, sir.

It does suck to keep getting the same questions over and over. Certain categories (like seperation) do need a little update, however. Has there been any consideration to delete some older quizzes which aren't up to the new standards?

#167128 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:59 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I don't think that's necessary (regarding deletions). Both the writer and the editor took the time to work on the quiz, and unless there's a discernible problem with it, there's no need for it to be removed.

I can't speak for the Movies category in terms of the 'Separation' category though.

#167129 - Sat Mar 08 2008 11:06 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
juls12 Offline
Participant

That category is fine, also. Just not up to date on newer films in difficult-tough quiz section. Not a real problem, just saying if I were to make a seperation quiz I'd have less of a chance getting it submitted.

I guess if I had a factual problem with a specific quiz there's a link to take care of that. Takes care of the whole deleting quizzes issue. So, that's that. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

#167130 - Sat Mar 08 2008 11:46 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:

just saying if I were to make a seperation quiz I'd have less of a chance getting it submitted

Why? Degrees of Separation is not a restricted category, because the diversity of the category is recognized and the likelihood of identical quizzes, or even identical questions, being submitted is slim.
However the guidelines do need to be followed.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#167131 - Sun Mar 09 2008 06:20 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: skunkee]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Juls12, it is hard to have much sympathy for you when you try to defend your own quiz by insulting another quiz-maker ("How is this for a dumb question"). Then you apologise ("But you are correct, and I do apologize to said quizmaker") and then you promptly insult them again ("Wow, informative. I really learned something about "The Sound Of Music" there").

If you feel there is a problem with the grammar, content or any other aspect of another member's quiz, you need to send a correction notice to the member and it will be seen by an editor. If the quiz needs to be amended, it will be.

With respect to your own quizzes, even if your complaints about the editing process are legitimate, which I doubt, there are better methods of resolving the issues than by insulting other quiz-makers and insulting editors ("rogue Nazi") in the forums.

#167132 - Sat Feb 07 2009 02:45 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
ZZZ22 Offline
Participant

Loc: California USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my quiz got rejected without a fair reason, shouldn't I just keep submitting it over and over until they decide to put it up?

If I don't have to make any corrections, make anymore original questions or fix the categories, I definitely think this is a great idea.

#167133 - Sat Feb 07 2009 02:53 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ZZZ22]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my quiz got rejected without a fair reason, shouldn't I just keep submitting it over and over until they decide to put it up?

Good reasoning, if it weren't for the fact that "they" won't decide to put it up. If you keep resubmitting a quiz without fixing the problems that were mentioned in the rejection note, your quiz will be deleted rather than placed online. (Besides, quizzes don't get rejected without a fair reason to begin with.)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4