Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#167134 - Sat Feb 07 2009 03:55 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Leau]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
ZZZ22, now we understand (and I also now get crisw's response to you) your thread on limiting the number of quizzes online per player. You want to shove through 2 minute jobs with errors in place of those which are well written and have remained much loved quizzes on this site for years. Hmm!

#167135 - Sat Feb 07 2009 06:01 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jonnowales]
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Sandusky Ohio USA         
I believe it is better not to jump to the bait that is obviously being thrown out by ZZZ22.

#167136 - Sat Feb 07 2009 12:59 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ZZZ22]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my quiz got rejected without a fair reason, shouldn't I just keep submitting it over and over until they decide to put it up?

As the editor of your quiz (way back when), I can assure you that the reasons for helping you correct your quiz were not pointless. If you're referring to the other quiz you have sent to the Video Games queue in recent weeks, then you will be receiving the same treatment as all others submitting to over-saturated, popular, restricted categories who, personally, don't meet the guidelines. These guidelines are consistent around the site, and you may hold onto (and improve upon) your quiz as you submit others in the meantime, by all means. If you are confused as to why your quiz was rejected, then I don't see why messaging the editor in question would be a lesser priority than posting on the forums with 'proposed changes' for the site.

#167137 - Tue Mar 03 2009 05:47 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
NCW75 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Western Australia
I have had no cause for complaint with my editors.

In fact, my first editor was extremely helpful and pointed me in the right direction of what was required with the types of questions, additional information etc. (I did receive some rejection notices from here but she was quite clear, concise and thoughtful in what she said). When I have been working on subsequent quizzes I have remembered her advise and used it in the next two quizzes which I have submitted (so far).

#167138 - Sun Apr 19 2009 05:13 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Linda1]
Tipper42 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Augusta Georgia USA          
My first quiz keeps getting rejected. They say I have many spelling errors, but my spell checkes says outside of the last names of the people in my questions, I have nome. They also said one of my questions is not a proper question or answer. What do I do?

#167139 - Sun Apr 19 2009 06:17 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Tipper42]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Spellcheckers will not throw up an error if there is a word which is spelled the same way as your error, an example would be 'preformed' instead of 'performed'.

You have even made a spelling mistakes in the above post, I assume you don't mean 'nome' or 'checkes'?

Perhaps get someone to read through for you to see if they spot the errors.

#167140 - Sun Apr 19 2009 06:27 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sue943]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I'm delighted by the patience and good manners displayed by the various volunteer editors and administrators to some of the rather puzzling questions raised by quiz writers. Very professional.
In my job, I have to use good spelling and grammar, along with giving accurate information. That I can do.
I also have to use IT, which I am much less confident with. So I ask those around me for advice and help. If I am too egocentric to recognise my weaknesses, my students will suffer.
Taking advice and acting on it will enable you to get a quiz online much faster, which is what you want. It seems fairly obvious in most cases that working with an editor is more efficient that going into conflict.
A dictionary might be more useful than a spellchecker in some circumstances.

#167141 - Sun Apr 19 2009 06:35 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Jabberwok]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Tipper42, just a suggestion.
Your team leader is Jedi Padawan, and her spelling and grammar seem to be very good, judging from her posts. You could easily ask her to help you to achieve your goal, as a friend and leader. Ask her to check through the wording of your quiz, in light of the editor's comments.

Edited by Jabberwok (Sun Apr 19 2009 08:22 AM)

#167142 - Sun Apr 19 2009 07:29 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Jabberwok]
Triviaballer Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA       
I agree with all the posts about the editors doing a great job, kudos to all y'all. I think sometimes we as quiz writers get frustrated when we feel like our material is being brushed off which I admit I've felt before. The grammar and quiz creation rules can be rather stringent and sometimes the quiz rejection notices are ambiguous about what we should change. Maybe it should be called something other than a "rejection notice", that has a rather negative connotation.

#167143 - Sun Apr 19 2009 11:01 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Triviaballer]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Well it's not called a "rejection notice", it's called a "correction note".

#167144 - Sun Apr 19 2009 04:53 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

My first quiz keeps getting rejected. They say I have many spelling errors, but my spell checkes says outside of the last names of the people in my questions, I have nome. They also said one of my questions is not a proper question or answer. What do I do?

You created this post long after the editor in question notified you of the specific words that were spelled incorrectly in messages to you. Also, you never had an issue with a question/answer as you said. The issue was with an identified specific question not having any valid interesting information in accordance within the Quiz Guidelines, and this specific item was identified to you three times prior. I would recommend, instead of posting issues here that somewhat don't tell the entire story, to get with the editor that was trying to help you with your quiz. I don't think they've ever given up trying to help! :-)

Edited by Nightmare (Sun Apr 19 2009 04:55 PM)

#167145 - Mon Apr 20 2009 04:06 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nightmare]
Tipper42 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Augusta Georgia USA          
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm just eager to get my first quiz published I guess. I've already written a second quiz, and following all the advice, I copied it and pasted on word and checked it a couple of times. And you are right; the people who run this web page are great and helpful.

#167146 - Mon Jul 27 2009 03:08 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Tipper42]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I am having a quiz question issue and followed the proper procedure about sending a response to the player/editor who sent the correction, yet have not heard back. Is my responsibility to now just sit quietly and wait, or is there another direction to go? I don't want to just send the quiz back in again (although the question is correct).

#167147 - Mon Jul 27 2009 03:55 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
If it was a correction during the editing process, and you have fixed the issue, you "sign off" on the correction note by checking the little button to say you have dealt with the issue, and can then resubmit the quiz.
If the quiz is already online, you either check to say you've fixed whatever the issue is, once you have fixed it, or write a note (in the space on the correction note) to tell the editor why you are right and the correction sender is wrong as you check off the correction note.
If you have fixed something, during the editing process (so after an editor has looked at it and sent you a correction notice to say there's an issue, and you fixed the issue and signed off on the note) then you just have to resubmit the quiz, and wait for the editor to get back to it.

#167148 - Mon Jul 27 2009 03:57 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Was this an online quiz that got a correction note, or a quiz that has not as yet gone online?

If the quiz is not yet online: if the editor asked you to do something, follow those instructions, and then resubmit the quiz. If the editor asked you a question, answer the question, and then resubmit the quiz, unless the editor has indicated that you need to wait.

Editors do not go looking for quizzes - if you do not resubmit it, we will assume that you haven't yet gotten around to dealing with the problem. If you have been told not to resubmit but aren't sure what you ARE supposed to do, write to the editor (using the reply function to the notes you already have - don't start a new topic) and ask what the editor wants you to do.

If the quiz is online, you need to ascertain whether or not the player's correction is in order. If it is, make the change to your quiz, save, and mark the note "corrected". If it is not, explain your reasoning in the box provided, and mark the quiz "corrected". In either of these cases, you don't have to do anything else unless an editor contacts you, in which case you follow the instructions the editor gives you.

#167149 - Mon Jul 27 2009 04:32 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
My understanding of bubblesfun's quiz issue was that a submitted quiz was returned by an editor, and that bubblesfun already replied to the editor to clarify an issue, and has not yet received a reply.

If that is the case, bubblesfun, I would advise that you wait for a response. Perhaps while you are waiting you could re-read the quiz guidelines in the category you have submitted to and see if that clears anything up. But re-submitting the quiz without waiting for the editor to reply to your question, or without fixing anything, is not the way to go.

#167150 - Mon Jul 27 2009 04:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Thanks Guitar -- that was exactly the question. Thanks to all that responded!

#167151 - Wed Aug 19 2009 01:35 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
ilovemaggic2 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Illinois USA
I think I made a mistake..after submitting my first quiz and receiving a rejection notice (which was very kind and polite) I decided to delete the quiz. I had lost interest in it. Now, I can't author any other quiz, because of 'outstanding corrections on a quiz already submitted' or something like that. Please help?

#167152 - Wed Aug 19 2009 10:08 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ilovemaggic2]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
bubblesfun, I have sent you a private message.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#167153 - Wed Aug 19 2009 10:21 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ilovemaggic2]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I think I made a mistake..after submitting my first quiz and receiving a rejection notice (which was very kind and polite) I decided to delete the quiz. I had lost interest in it. Now, I can't author any other quiz, because of 'outstanding corrections on a quiz already submitted' or something like that. Please help?

Because you didn't correct your errors or mark the quiz as corrected, the system still registers you as having uncorrected errors. You'll need to wait for the system to catch up to you- it should take only a few hours, but if it persists more than a few days, only the admins can find the answer.

#167154 - Wed Aug 19 2009 06:01 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
ilovemaggic2 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Illinois USA
Quote:

Because you didn't correct your errors or mark the quiz as corrected, the system still registers you as having uncorrected errors. You'll need to wait for the system to catch up to you- it should take only a few hours, but if it persists more than a few days, only the admins can find the answer.

thanks very much. It has been at least a few months since I deleted it..so who are the admins?

#167155 - Wed Aug 19 2009 06:45 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ilovemaggic2]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Your best bet would be to send a note to either crisw or gtho4. Both of them might be able to find a solution.

#167156 - Fri Sep 04 2009 07:33 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Linda1]
jbooker8 Offline
Participant

Loc: Darlington South Carolina USA
It says on mine your previous quizzes have not been up to standard. More low quality submissions will result in loss of ability to write quizzes. Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

#167157 - Fri Sep 04 2009 07:36 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jbooker8]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

It says on mine your previous quizzes have not been up to standard. More low quality submissions will result in loss of ability to write quizzes. Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

Our standards have increased from when the site once began accepting quizzes. We have so many visitors to this site because our standards are so high for the quizzes - that is how Funtrivia stands apart from the rest.

Editor for Television Category

#167158 - Sat Sep 05 2009 12:43 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ladymacb29]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

If quizzes didn't have proper grammar and spelling, wouldn't they be too difficult to read and play?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4