Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#167059 - Mon Apr 07 2003 10:28 AM If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I thought it might be helpful for the editors to list some of the things they wish quizmakers to know when they get a rejection notice on a quiz. This will, hopefully, answer some of the most asked questions that the quizmakers have.

1. If you get a rejection notice, DO NOT use the "This is not an error" to respond to it. This method does not accomplish what you are trying to do, as it often does not reach the editor who sent the notice. As we've said multiple times, please use the "Reply to Person Who Sent This Note" button to respond to any rejection notices.

2. Rejection notes are not a rejection of YOU as a person! Please see them as constructive ways to help you get your quiz to be as top-notch as possible. Don't get so angry with the term "rejection notice" that you neglect to see the helpful information that it contains. Just read the notice and see what ideas the editor has for you. You'll probably find that we're all on the same team and that we all want your quiz to be put online!

3. Once you have made the corrections in the notice, you must resubmit the quiz. It is not automatically done for you; the editors are not going to magically see that you've made corrections to the quiz.

4. If you disagree with a rejection notice or if you do not understand a rejection notice, you can send a note to the editor (see #1 above) for clarification. Simply be courteous and polite and ask for more information. (This is a good time to remember the "getting more flies with honey" adage, by the way. )

#167060 - Mon Aug 02 2004 03:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
reader11 Offline
Participant

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky USA
I submitted a quiz. The editor sent me an email with instructions to edit portions of it. That is fine with me. However, as I continued reading, she asked things like "Have you ever read the book?' and "Question #8 is way off base." The editor has a quiz about the same subject online. My answer to question 8 on my quiz is correct. The editor insists it is not. She stated her quiz came directly from the book. If it did, she would see that my answer is correct. I don't mind at all editing my quiz, especially since this is the first one I've submitted. But, how do you get a quiz online when an editor insists she is correct and you insist you are? I sent her an email back and quoted directly from the book. What else can I do?

#167061 - Fri Aug 13 2004 01:04 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

Loc: Preston, Engalnd UK
my quiz is always rejected, twice it has happened, n the quiz editor never seems to tell you what specifically is the problem, she just says read the quiz notes and personally they do not help as many times i have read them and changed my quiz and it is still not right. Ive tried so hard to get my quiz looking "top notch", which in my opinion shouldn't really matter because you go over the top with spelling and grammar, no one cares, aslong as they get questions right and get points, but it always gets rejected. All I want is to have my quiz online and for the quiz editors to explain things better. If they are like this with all quizzes im suprised there are so many on line when I bet most poeple dont seem to care about grammar and punctuation

Edited by selishere (Fri Aug 13 2004 01:05 PM)

#167062 - Fri Aug 13 2004 01:34 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
selishere, something that may help you is to run your quiz through a spellcheck program. This is the easiest way that I know of to find all the errors in the quiz (some of these programs will also help with grammar). Then you can just paste the quiz back into the funtrivia template.
We have players here from all parts of the world, of all ages and occupations. You wouldn't stand up in front of all those people to give them a presentation, or to make a speech, with your hair uncombed and with a dirty shirt on. Using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation is just like that - a question of respect for your audience, and a chance to put your best foot forward, and present a quiz that you can be proud of.

#167063 - Sat Aug 14 2004 06:09 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

If they are like this with all quizzes im suprised there are so many on line when I bet most poeple dont seem to care about grammar and punctuation

Selishere, we care very much about grammar and punctuation in the forums as well as in quizzes, it is really difficult to read a post which doesn't contain correct capitalisaiton and punctuation.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Aug 14 2004 06:09 AM)

#167064 - Sat Aug 14 2004 02:40 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

Yeah i suppose, but I think they don't like me no more cos my quiz hasnt been looked at yet as usually they look at it straight away and get back to me within a day and it has been a couple of days now. This time I used a spelling and grammar checker so it has got to be right this time. I won't be very happy if they stil say there is something wrong. Spelling and grammar checkers don't lie and don't get things wrong.

#167065 - Sat Aug 14 2004 02:53 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Give the editors a couple of days to look at your quiz, they have a life too. Since it's summer vacation in a big part of the world some of the editors are probably on holiday.

Also, if a quiz author consistently submits quizzes that need a lot of editing his rating gets lowered, which will lead to a longer waiting time.

#167066 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:04 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

well ok, i will let you off, I didn't know it was your holidays. I live in U.K

Do you have to put interesting information on questions only I am thinking of changing my quiz if they still won't accept it and I can't really put any information as it will be in the question.

I know this isn't what the topic is about but I thought I would add it in anyway. Saves me writing a new topic.

#167067 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:10 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

I'm pretty sure the UK is having summer holidays as well, since most of the northern hemisphere is... I'm not an editor, but I do know that you have to provide interesting information for all your questions. The people who play your quiz want to learn something, so give them a few more details about the correct answer, or explain why the other answers are incorrect. There must be something more to mention about your subject than what you've written in the questions. Try to be creative!

By the way, what's your Quizzyland ID?

#167068 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:42 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

What is a quizzyland ID? Is it not my username on here or do you mean my fun trivia ID. That is sel2k4.

#167069 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

That's the one I meant. Funtrivia is the entire site, consisting of Quizzyland (the quiz part), Ask.FunTrivia and the forums.

#167070 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:47 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

Cool. I will have to remember that term "quizzyland"!

#167071 - Sun Aug 15 2004 08:48 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Spelling and grammar check DOES lie. Spell-check won't tell the difference between to/too/two. Spell-check won't catch words like wont when you mean to write won't/will not. Grammar check doesn't seem to usually catch when you use the wrong verb, don't conjugate the verb properly or the verb doesn't agree with the subject.

Etc.

This is why we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE people to get someone to sit down with them and proofread their quiz IN ADDITION to using a spell-check program.

Editor for Television Category

#167072 - Mon Aug 16 2004 07:42 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

If they lie, what is the point of having them around as people will think their work is O.K when really it is still bad and not done properly. I remember you once told me to use a spelling and grammar checker. Thats a bit out of order telling me to use one of them and now you say that there not all that brilliant.

#167073 - Mon Aug 16 2004 07:48 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Even if they're not brilliant, they're still helpful. And the point really isn't whether or not spell checkers are perfect, the point is that every quiz that you submit must be spelled perfectly. It doesn't matter if you use a spell checker program, your mom, neighbour or whatever to ensure that, just do it.

#167074 - Mon Aug 16 2004 10:53 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

O.K well my spelling is perfect it's just all this grammar and punctuation stuff, that's why I checked it. I just want my quiz to go online. I don't see any thing wrong with it. I can't ask anyone to proof read it as it is my own work and I don't have anyone who can check for me. No one I know uses English and is any good with grammar and stuff. I am determined to get my quiz online because then I can make more. This website was cool when I first found it, but now, I can't say that no more as I've seen from the quiz editors. The amount of times they've not accepted my quiz, I feel like I'm useless.

#167075 - Wed Aug 25 2004 02:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
As our dear ladymacb29 said, perhaps you ought to have someone else take a look at your quiz before its submission, preferably someone whose writing skills are well-developed, like a teacher or someone who works for the newspaper.

#167076 - Wed Aug 25 2004 03:51 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
One of the most common mistakes is to fail to look at a quiz from the point of view of players. Something that often causes serious problems is additional information that is likely to leave people completely bewildered and none the wiser. For example, not long ago I edited a quiz that contained the question "Which was the first country in Europe to abolish the death penalty?" The answer given was Russia, and the additional information gave the year as 1826 and went on to say that "the law fluctuated somewhat" - which in fact conveys nothing to potential quizplayers ...
I was left to guess that the quiz author really meant that the death penalty was reintroduced in Russia some afterwards. A note discussing this kind of thing is essential ... It would also have been useful to have had something on other countries that claim to have been the first to abolish the death penalty - without having reintroduced it.

So, when creating quizzes try to put yourself in the shoes of people taking the quiz, try hard to work out the obvious points (and a few less obvious ones) that they are likely to want to know more about.

#167077 - Sun Sep 05 2004 03:45 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

I'm hardly going to go and ask a teacher or newspaper office to help me with spelling on a quiz just to put on a website. I think they have got better things to do with their time, I would get told to go away.

#167078 - Sun Sep 05 2004 06:23 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

I don't know how old you are, if you are still in school, but if you are, believe me, your teachers would love to help you with this. My son started his quiz writing when he was 13, his teachers are very interested in the whole idea. In fact, a bit of a funtrivia craze swept through his school when he first started here, and then got his friends interested.
If you are out of school, and don't know any teachers, think about anyone you know who reads a lot, or reads or writes for their job. Don't be shy about it - the truth is, most people would be very flattered to be asked to look over your work.
"Newspaper editor" doesn't have to mean the editor of the million circulation big city newsdesk, you know. Who edits your school newspaper, or church newsletter, or the little local four-pager that is given away for free at the supermarket? These people would, in general, be pleased and flattered to be asked.

#167079 - Mon Sep 13 2004 06:27 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Quote:

I'm hardly going to go and ask a teacher or newspaper office to help me with spelling on a quiz just to put on a website. I think they have got better things to do with their time, I would get told to go away.

I didn't necessarily mean for you to walk into a school or newspaper office and ask a stranger! Most folks have a friend or two whose writing skills they respect, often because of that friend's vocation. In any event, you may want to ask a friend whom you know to be good with language to take a look at your next quiz.

#167080 - Thu Dec 30 2004 07:45 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
hellbaron Offline
Participant

Loc: Trichy, TN USA
i got an error that my quiz received outstanding note from the editors. no other error data was mentioned. why do i get this error? what should i do before resubmitting my work to the editor?

#167081 - Thu Dec 30 2004 11:10 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

If you get a note from an editor saying that you have outstanding rejection notes it usually isn't an error. Did you previously submit another quiz that hasn't been placed online yet? If so the editor probably wants you to take care of that quiz first before you submit another one. If you haven't submitted any quizzes before your current quiz, then you've probably gotten a rejection note for that quiz that you haven't yet fixed.

If you see that you have outstanding notes when you try to submit a quiz then you have to go to the correction note first and indicate that you have fixed the errors. The system won't let you submit quizzes with outstanding correction notes.

If it's still unclear, the best way is to reply to the editor who sent you the rejection note and ask for clarification.

#167082 - Thu Dec 30 2004 11:34 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Usually this means you haven't fixed everything mentioned in the previous rejection notice.

To re-read the first note again, click on the title of your quiz and then on 'quiz notes' - all of the rejection notices you received previously should be listed there.

And, as Leau said, if you still have questions, please use the reply button and ask the editor. (And please don't resubmit your quiz if you're unsure of what needs to be fixed!)

Editor for Television Category

#167083 - Thu Dec 30 2004 04:14 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

We prefer that you work on one quiz, and get it online, rather than just trying again with a new quiz. This is because you will keep on making the same mistakes, unless you learn how to fix them in the first quiz. Really work on your first quiz, making sure that you do everything in the editor's note. Once you have that quiz online, move on to the next one, and you will find that much of what you learned in the first quiz can be applied to the next one.
If you really can't get what the editors are telling you, you may not be quite ready to write quizzes yet. One of the best ways to learn about quizwriting is to play the Quizmaker Tuneup quizzes, which you can find in the General category. Also, if you click on the "What's New?" link on the Homepage, you will see something called "Quiz Writing Weekly". This is full of interesting and useful articles.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4