Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#167059 - Mon Apr 07 2003 10:28 AM If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I thought it might be helpful for the editors to list some of the things they wish quizmakers to know when they get a rejection notice on a quiz. This will, hopefully, answer some of the most asked questions that the quizmakers have.

1. If you get a rejection notice, DO NOT use the "This is not an error" to respond to it. This method does not accomplish what you are trying to do, as it often does not reach the editor who sent the notice. As we've said multiple times, please use the "Reply to Person Who Sent This Note" button to respond to any rejection notices.

2. Rejection notes are not a rejection of YOU as a person! Please see them as constructive ways to help you get your quiz to be as top-notch as possible. Don't get so angry with the term "rejection notice" that you neglect to see the helpful information that it contains. Just read the notice and see what ideas the editor has for you. You'll probably find that we're all on the same team and that we all want your quiz to be put online!

3. Once you have made the corrections in the notice, you must resubmit the quiz. It is not automatically done for you; the editors are not going to magically see that you've made corrections to the quiz.

4. If you disagree with a rejection notice or if you do not understand a rejection notice, you can send a note to the editor (see #1 above) for clarification. Simply be courteous and polite and ask for more information. (This is a good time to remember the "getting more flies with honey" adage, by the way. )

#167060 - Mon Aug 02 2004 03:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
reader11 Offline
Participant

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky USA
I submitted a quiz. The editor sent me an email with instructions to edit portions of it. That is fine with me. However, as I continued reading, she asked things like "Have you ever read the book?' and "Question #8 is way off base." The editor has a quiz about the same subject online. My answer to question 8 on my quiz is correct. The editor insists it is not. She stated her quiz came directly from the book. If it did, she would see that my answer is correct. I don't mind at all editing my quiz, especially since this is the first one I've submitted. But, how do you get a quiz online when an editor insists she is correct and you insist you are? I sent her an email back and quoted directly from the book. What else can I do?

#167061 - Fri Aug 13 2004 01:04 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

Loc: Preston, Engalnd UK
my quiz is always rejected, twice it has happened, n the quiz editor never seems to tell you what specifically is the problem, she just says read the quiz notes and personally they do not help as many times i have read them and changed my quiz and it is still not right. Ive tried so hard to get my quiz looking "top notch", which in my opinion shouldn't really matter because you go over the top with spelling and grammar, no one cares, aslong as they get questions right and get points, but it always gets rejected. All I want is to have my quiz online and for the quiz editors to explain things better. If they are like this with all quizzes im suprised there are so many on line when I bet most poeple dont seem to care about grammar and punctuation

Edited by selishere (Fri Aug 13 2004 01:05 PM)

#167062 - Fri Aug 13 2004 01:34 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
selishere, something that may help you is to run your quiz through a spellcheck program. This is the easiest way that I know of to find all the errors in the quiz (some of these programs will also help with grammar). Then you can just paste the quiz back into the funtrivia template.
We have players here from all parts of the world, of all ages and occupations. You wouldn't stand up in front of all those people to give them a presentation, or to make a speech, with your hair uncombed and with a dirty shirt on. Using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation is just like that - a question of respect for your audience, and a chance to put your best foot forward, and present a quiz that you can be proud of.

#167063 - Sat Aug 14 2004 06:09 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

If they are like this with all quizzes im suprised there are so many on line when I bet most poeple dont seem to care about grammar and punctuation

Selishere, we care very much about grammar and punctuation in the forums as well as in quizzes, it is really difficult to read a post which doesn't contain correct capitalisaiton and punctuation.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Aug 14 2004 06:09 AM)

#167064 - Sat Aug 14 2004 02:40 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

Yeah i suppose, but I think they don't like me no more cos my quiz hasnt been looked at yet as usually they look at it straight away and get back to me within a day and it has been a couple of days now. This time I used a spelling and grammar checker so it has got to be right this time. I won't be very happy if they stil say there is something wrong. Spelling and grammar checkers don't lie and don't get things wrong.

#167065 - Sat Aug 14 2004 02:53 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Give the editors a couple of days to look at your quiz, they have a life too. Since it's summer vacation in a big part of the world some of the editors are probably on holiday.

Also, if a quiz author consistently submits quizzes that need a lot of editing his rating gets lowered, which will lead to a longer waiting time.

#167066 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:04 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

well ok, i will let you off, I didn't know it was your holidays. I live in U.K

Do you have to put interesting information on questions only I am thinking of changing my quiz if they still won't accept it and I can't really put any information as it will be in the question.

I know this isn't what the topic is about but I thought I would add it in anyway. Saves me writing a new topic.

#167067 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:10 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

I'm pretty sure the UK is having summer holidays as well, since most of the northern hemisphere is... I'm not an editor, but I do know that you have to provide interesting information for all your questions. The people who play your quiz want to learn something, so give them a few more details about the correct answer, or explain why the other answers are incorrect. There must be something more to mention about your subject than what you've written in the questions. Try to be creative!

By the way, what's your Quizzyland ID?

#167068 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:42 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

What is a quizzyland ID? Is it not my username on here or do you mean my fun trivia ID. That is sel2k4.

#167069 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

That's the one I meant. Funtrivia is the entire site, consisting of Quizzyland (the quiz part), Ask.FunTrivia and the forums.

#167070 - Sat Aug 14 2004 03:47 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

Cool. I will have to remember that term "quizzyland"!

#167071 - Sun Aug 15 2004 08:48 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Spelling and grammar check DOES lie. Spell-check won't tell the difference between to/too/two. Spell-check won't catch words like wont when you mean to write won't/will not. Grammar check doesn't seem to usually catch when you use the wrong verb, don't conjugate the verb properly or the verb doesn't agree with the subject.

Etc.

This is why we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE people to get someone to sit down with them and proofread their quiz IN ADDITION to using a spell-check program.

Editor for Television Category

#167072 - Mon Aug 16 2004 07:42 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

If they lie, what is the point of having them around as people will think their work is O.K when really it is still bad and not done properly. I remember you once told me to use a spelling and grammar checker. Thats a bit out of order telling me to use one of them and now you say that there not all that brilliant.

#167073 - Mon Aug 16 2004 07:48 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Even if they're not brilliant, they're still helpful. And the point really isn't whether or not spell checkers are perfect, the point is that every quiz that you submit must be spelled perfectly. It doesn't matter if you use a spell checker program, your mom, neighbour or whatever to ensure that, just do it.

#167074 - Mon Aug 16 2004 10:53 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

O.K well my spelling is perfect it's just all this grammar and punctuation stuff, that's why I checked it. I just want my quiz to go online. I don't see any thing wrong with it. I can't ask anyone to proof read it as it is my own work and I don't have anyone who can check for me. No one I know uses English and is any good with grammar and stuff. I am determined to get my quiz online because then I can make more. This website was cool when I first found it, but now, I can't say that no more as I've seen from the quiz editors. The amount of times they've not accepted my quiz, I feel like I'm useless.

#167075 - Wed Aug 25 2004 02:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
As our dear ladymacb29 said, perhaps you ought to have someone else take a look at your quiz before its submission, preferably someone whose writing skills are well-developed, like a teacher or someone who works for the newspaper.

#167076 - Wed Aug 25 2004 03:51 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
One of the most common mistakes is to fail to look at a quiz from the point of view of players. Something that often causes serious problems is additional information that is likely to leave people completely bewildered and none the wiser. For example, not long ago I edited a quiz that contained the question "Which was the first country in Europe to abolish the death penalty?" The answer given was Russia, and the additional information gave the year as 1826 and went on to say that "the law fluctuated somewhat" - which in fact conveys nothing to potential quizplayers ...
I was left to guess that the quiz author really meant that the death penalty was reintroduced in Russia some afterwards. A note discussing this kind of thing is essential ... It would also have been useful to have had something on other countries that claim to have been the first to abolish the death penalty - without having reintroduced it.

So, when creating quizzes try to put yourself in the shoes of people taking the quiz, try hard to work out the obvious points (and a few less obvious ones) that they are likely to want to know more about.

#167077 - Sun Sep 05 2004 03:45 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sel2k4 Offline
Participant

I'm hardly going to go and ask a teacher or newspaper office to help me with spelling on a quiz just to put on a website. I think they have got better things to do with their time, I would get told to go away.

#167078 - Sun Sep 05 2004 06:23 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

I don't know how old you are, if you are still in school, but if you are, believe me, your teachers would love to help you with this. My son started his quiz writing when he was 13, his teachers are very interested in the whole idea. In fact, a bit of a funtrivia craze swept through his school when he first started here, and then got his friends interested.
If you are out of school, and don't know any teachers, think about anyone you know who reads a lot, or reads or writes for their job. Don't be shy about it - the truth is, most people would be very flattered to be asked to look over your work.
"Newspaper editor" doesn't have to mean the editor of the million circulation big city newsdesk, you know. Who edits your school newspaper, or church newsletter, or the little local four-pager that is given away for free at the supermarket? These people would, in general, be pleased and flattered to be asked.

#167079 - Mon Sep 13 2004 06:27 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I'm hardly going to go and ask a teacher or newspaper office to help me with spelling on a quiz just to put on a website. I think they have got better things to do with their time, I would get told to go away.

I didn't necessarily mean for you to walk into a school or newspaper office and ask a stranger! Most folks have a friend or two whose writing skills they respect, often because of that friend's vocation. In any event, you may want to ask a friend whom you know to be good with language to take a look at your next quiz.

#167080 - Thu Dec 30 2004 07:45 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
hellbaron Offline
Participant

Loc: Trichy, TN USA
i got an error that my quiz received outstanding note from the editors. no other error data was mentioned. why do i get this error? what should i do before resubmitting my work to the editor?

#167081 - Thu Dec 30 2004 11:10 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

If you get a note from an editor saying that you have outstanding rejection notes it usually isn't an error. Did you previously submit another quiz that hasn't been placed online yet? If so the editor probably wants you to take care of that quiz first before you submit another one. If you haven't submitted any quizzes before your current quiz, then you've probably gotten a rejection note for that quiz that you haven't yet fixed.

If you see that you have outstanding notes when you try to submit a quiz then you have to go to the correction note first and indicate that you have fixed the errors. The system won't let you submit quizzes with outstanding correction notes.

If it's still unclear, the best way is to reply to the editor who sent you the rejection note and ask for clarification.

#167082 - Thu Dec 30 2004 11:34 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
ladymacb29 Offline

Usually this means you haven't fixed everything mentioned in the previous rejection notice.

To re-read the first note again, click on the title of your quiz and then on 'quiz notes' - all of the rejection notices you received previously should be listed there.

And, as Leau said, if you still have questions, please use the reply button and ask the editor. (And please don't resubmit your quiz if you're unsure of what needs to be fixed!)

#167083 - Thu Dec 30 2004 04:14 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

We prefer that you work on one quiz, and get it online, rather than just trying again with a new quiz. This is because you will keep on making the same mistakes, unless you learn how to fix them in the first quiz. Really work on your first quiz, making sure that you do everything in the editor's note. Once you have that quiz online, move on to the next one, and you will find that much of what you learned in the first quiz can be applied to the next one.
If you really can't get what the editors are telling you, you may not be quite ready to write quizzes yet. One of the best ways to learn about quizwriting is to play the Quizmaker Tuneup quizzes, which you can find in the General category. Also, if you click on the "What's New?" link on the Homepage, you will see something called "Quiz Writing Weekly". This is full of interesting and useful articles.

#167084 - Thu Apr 13 2006 09:22 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
AnyaAngie Offline
Participant

Loc: Perryopolis, PA USA
Hi! Boy am I glad I found this forum, I never would have seen it if the site weren't temporarily under maintenance!

I am having a bit of a problem. I have two quizzes, one which I tried to submit previously, then because of a misunderstanding with an editor I deleted it, thinking that was what they wanted me to do. I created a more acceptable quiz, in a completely different category, and the same editor suggested I create the first quiz again and submit it, at least that was the impression I got. So I did, and asked what they wanted me to do, and they replied that I should submit the first quiz first and second quiz second. The day before yesterday, I received a message saying that I should submit the second quiz first. Which quiz do they want? I wish they'd make up their minds!

#167085 - Thu Apr 13 2006 10:27 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
When an editor works with an author on a quiz and the quiz is then deleted, it is frustrating (and lost time for the editor). While we all enjoy helping authors get their quizzes online, we need the authors to work with us. An editor would never suggest deleting a quiz as opposed to fixing the errors and resubmitting. In the future, as a suggestion, (for every quiz maker who reads this), don't delete the quiz because of a rejection note.

My suggestion would be to send a politely worded note to the editor in question. We are all here to help. Occasionally we have a big workload, which may cause crossed wires in communication.

Moo [Hobbies Editor]
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#167086 - Thu Apr 13 2006 10:37 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
AnyaAngie Offline
Participant

Thanks very much for replying.

I suppose I was so used to another site that I didn't understand how to deal with the editor here. I mean, the other site is so much simpler, you just type and publish and that's it. So the questions that were rejected here, I put in a quiz, from another site, of the same name, along with the acceptable ones. Of course I'm still interested in having the quiz on this site if it can ever get off the ground.

Edited to remove name of another site.

Edited by sue943 (Tue Apr 25 2006 08:33 AM)

#167087 - Thu Apr 13 2006 11:57 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

As I mentioned, send a note to the editor asking what he or she would like for you to do. Mention that you have put the questions that were rejected on another site. That fact will change things, since the questions are already online somewhere else. By submitting them here, you will be taking questions from another website, even though they are your own. FT material is copyrighted.

Be patient, and enjoy the quiz creation process. It takes time and practice to get the hang of it.

Edited by Moo (Tue Apr 25 2006 11:20 AM)

#167088 - Thu Apr 13 2006 12:50 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
AnyaAngie Offline
Participant

Not to worry, they're not online yet. I still have to make some graphics befitting the 4 different results! I love making graphics so that's why they're not online just yet.

#167089 - Thu Apr 13 2006 01:05 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

You may need to check with someone before submitting them to the other place. Once they have been submitted, they may already be subject to copyright, even if they are later deleted. I am not sure of the fine print on this, but from what I understand, they become property of FT as soon as they are submitted. Your best bet would be to resubmit the quiz here and take the necessary action to get the quiz online.

#167090 - Thu Apr 13 2006 01:48 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

Anya_Angie, what is your name on the quiz side of Funtrivia?

#167091 - Thu Apr 13 2006 03:03 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
AnyaAngie Offline
Participant

It's the same username on the main site.

I settled it, apparently I misread the editor's message, instead of saying I should submit the Plushenko quiz first they suggested the Film Scores quiz first. So I did. Hopefully things will be better now.

#167092 - Thu Apr 13 2006 03:57 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sue943 Offline

Administrator

There is no account with the name Anya_Angie. I just checked and it is AnyaAngie

#167093 - Fri Apr 14 2006 12:14 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
AnyaAngie Offline
Participant

Ok, thanks, I am so used to an underscore in it.

#167094 - Sun Apr 23 2006 12:16 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
AnyaAngie Offline
Participant

I found a more appropriate place for my Plushenko quiz. Since it is not submitted here, would it be all right if I submitted it there?

You can keep the film score quiz of course. It's already submitted, I wouldn't dream of taking it away from you.

Edited to remove names of site. It wasn't necessary to name them.

Edited by sue943 (Sun Apr 23 2006 06:46 AM)

#167095 - Fri Apr 28 2006 04:28 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
hollandist Offline
Explorer

This is very interesting the whole quiz rejection thing. Sue, take a tip, tone down. Kidding. I think... nah jokes.
Anyway with my quiz that eventually had me blocked from the actual quiz part of Quizzyland. I had no constructive critisim send back, just all this "useful" information that made no sense whatsoever and really made me, not the quiz in general, really downgraded. And I have complained. A lot of times to Sue, but no response whatsoever. We, in the household, cannot log in to Funtrivia on the usual quiz thing. Sue, a response would be greatly appreciated. (paulfrank_008)

#167096 - Fri Apr 28 2006 07:17 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I will not reproduce here the message that you sent to one of our editors. Our editors are all volunteers and willingly give their free time to edit, what they don't need is rude messages nor abuse. I am not accusing you of sending an abusive message but the one that you did send is not acceptable.

Your family have you to blame for not being able to log on to Funtrivia, not me.

#167097 - Sun May 28 2006 04:21 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
joe999 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Hi there, I submitted a quiz a couple of months ago and it was rejected. I filled out the box saying I don't think it should be rejected etc and got a reply from diamondlance saying that you couldn't find my quiz. I can't find it either. Any idea where it has gone.
It was a quiz on final fantasy VII

#167098 - Sun May 28 2006 04:37 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
agony Offline

Administrator

Hmmm, there's no sign of it. If it was long enough ago, and you did no work on it, it would have been automatically deleted by the system. Sorry about that, you'll have to start from scratch.

By the way, using the "Not an Error" box to communicate with editors is not a good idea. First of all, if an editor has things he wishes you to change on your quiz, then they are indeed errors, and must be dealt with. Second, editors may not see that message for quite some time - if you do not resubmit the quiz, they will NEVER see it. If there is something in a rejection note that you wish to discuss with your editor, click on 'reply' and send a note directly.
We are willing to discuss things with you, but keep in mind that editors have seen thousands of quizzes, and have a very good idea of what will and will not work in our system. If we ask you to do something, chances are there is a good reason for it.

#167099 - Mon Aug 28 2006 04:03 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Linda1]
Anonymous
No longer registered

Hi,
How is everyone doing? Should we always get a rejection notice? Hope everyone understands the question. I've corrected the things that were sent to me in the notes. Then the other night when online, I noticed it said someone was editing my quiz. I later found on the site the list of editors, a different one than the one who sent the notes.
They haven't sent me anything though about things I need to correct.

#167100 - Mon Aug 28 2006 04:24 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz
sue943 Offline

Administrator

There is no member on the other part of the site with your name. We ask that you use the same name in all parts of the site so that we know who you are. Without your username we cannot answer your question properly. Are you AmyR2? That one is coming on the same IP address.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Aug 28 2006 04:26 PM)

#167101 - Mon Aug 28 2006 05:28 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sue943]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm thinking that when you checked your quiz, an editor was taking a look at it, but that editor did not necessarily make a correction and send it to you.
We have a protective thing that makes sure that if someone is editing a quiz, the other person doesn't try to touch it at the same time.

If you're working on your quiz and it's been submitted, then, I might be checking things in the queue and see that you were working on it, and wait until you'd finished. If you are checking your quiz with the edit function and you see that editorXyZ is working on this quiz..etc. then, you know that someone's having a look.

Does this make sense? It's a great way to avoid overrunning each other's corrections by the way!

Bruyere, funtrivia.com editor.

#167102 - Tue Aug 29 2006 06:14 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Bruyere]
agony Offline

Administrator

Another editor may have been doing something small that you didn't need to be notified about - changing category, for instance. If you don't get a note about it, don't worry about it.

#167103 - Sun Sep 17 2006 10:28 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
boji8 Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington USA
Hello. I made a quiz not too long ago. When i submitted it, i got my first letter from my editor. And a couple more to follow. When my quiz got put online it looked so much better than the first draft i submitted. My editor was awesome. My editor was very helpful. I learned alot. I never felt mad or dicouraged. I felt grateful i had help making my quiz look the best it could look. My editor was the best tool i could have had. Thank you again.

Edited by boji8 (Sun Sep 17 2006 10:30 AM)

#167104 - Wed Sep 20 2006 06:22 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: boji8]
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Michigan USA  
I just sent my first quiz for approval--hopefully it meets the guidelines.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#167105 - Fri Jun 01 2007 11:12 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jarsma63]
sukimojo Offline
Participant

Loc: Livingston, Scotland
I wrote a quiz and it went well but then just as i was about to send it, my internet connection went, i saved the page and when i got the internet back i sent the quiz. I wasn't sure if it had worked or not but it tells you to only send it once. I thought it looked important that you didn't do that so i didn't. After a few days i went back to have a look for it and it wasn't there. I thought it musn't have worked so i tried to re-write the quiz. I was then told that i had already submitted a quiz the same as this one so i couldn't continue. I tried at the queztions bit about making quizes and it said to look at the "My Stats" page. I did and i couldn't see anything about a quiz anywhere and now i'm quite perplexed!!

#167106 - Fri Jun 01 2007 11:28 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sukimojo]
morrigan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan USA
Try and go to "My quizzes: Edit"

That will list all quizzes-online and offline and submitted.

Morrigan

#167107 - Fri Jun 01 2007 12:56 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: morrigan]
agony Offline

Administrator

Is that your 'Bec" quiz? It is not currently submitted, so you should go back into the edit screen and try again.

By the way, that quiz belongs in the Darren Shan category, so you might as well put it in the right place while you are at it. Just change the pull down menu to Authors Q - S, save, and then go back into the edit screen and find Darren Shan, and save again.

#167108 - Sat Jun 02 2007 09:18 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sukimojo]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I wrote a quiz and it went well but then just as i was about to send it, my internet connection went, i saved the page and when i got the internet back i sent the quiz. I wasn't sure if it had worked or not but it tells you to only send it once. I thought it looked important that you didn't do that so i didn't. After a few days i went back to have a look for it and it wasn't there. I thought it musn't have worked so i tried to re-write the quiz. I was then told that i had already submitted a quiz the same as this one so i couldn't continue. I tried at the queztions bit about making quizes and it said to look at the "My Stats" page. I did and i couldn't see anything about a quiz anywhere and now i'm quite perplexed!!

Yet another reason to do drafts of your quizzes on an offline word processor Good luck - it's very frustrating to lose things to a faulty internet connection. Unfortunately, I've been there.

#167109 - Fri Jul 13 2007 09:25 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
CtyCkonaFarm Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Kentucky USA
I have had a problem with an editor..I am very new to this site..I was twice accused of "plagiarizing" when I tried to submit my quiz (same quiz)..I tried to follow the "help" section, but it seams that you can not complain about a "editor"..So what do you do?
This editor stated "that I don't want to be able to "google" the information about your answers and find it almost word for word".....
The following was my reply...

In your quiz #46 I found the information on the answer to question #1 as follows in part.....

And I quote, " a Sumerian describes dental decay as "tooth worms"
Please take note of the 1st and 2nd lines of the Google response..

I Googled the first line of YOUR "information" and found the below..

Web Results 1 - 10 of 10 for Sumerians described the activity of "tooth worms". . (0.30 seconds)

Tip: Save time by hitting the return key instead of clicking on "search"

Dental Education For ChildrenBut wait, in 5000 BC, a Sumerian text describes dental decay as “tooth worms” and about 260BC, an inscription on the tomb of Hesy-Rey an Egyptian scribe, ...
www.drdugaandassociates.com/dental-education-for-children.htm - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

I see that your "information" can also be "googled directly"...Please, in the future, make sure of your own quiz's before accusing someone else of "plagiarizing" as you have done to me.......

I would like for you to "pull my quiz" if you can. I will delete it, otherwise, myself, if I am able...

Double standards are something that I do not wish to be involved with..

Thanks for you time.......

#167110 - Sat Jul 14 2007 02:34 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: CtyCkonaFarm]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

We do not appreciate you placing the same post in two threads, it is totally unnecessary.

As was said in the other thread, there is a procedure for reporting problems with an editor and it is anchored towards the top of this forum. Since you appear not to be able to find it I will post a link to it here...

http://www.funtrivia.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=0#Post488638

As you will see there is a choice of two contacts.

#167111 - Mon Jul 30 2007 10:52 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: reader11]
Sara_Marie_41 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
those dumb editor took mine and won't accept a new one until the one, they destoryed, it online. that's messed it.

#167112 - Mon Jul 30 2007 11:15 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Sara_Marie_41]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Please do not insult our editors.

#167113 - Mon Jul 30 2007 12:40 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sue943]
Sara_Marie_41 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
my fault

#167114 - Mon Aug 06 2007 02:37 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Sara_Marie_41]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
How very odd Sara. By the look of your capitalisation and spelling skills, I am really not surprised it wasn't passed.

Dumb? Ok. We may reserve different judgments about your use of the word in this context!

#167115 - Fri Feb 08 2008 12:16 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
deadlydalton Offline
Explorer

Loc: Ayr Scotland UK
I have been asked to supply a manual to my answers.

Do I place a reference in each answer to where the info came from, or just post a link for people to look up?

#167116 - Fri Feb 08 2008 12:25 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: deadlydalton]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

That's an interesting question.
Please ask the editor who sent you the message.

#167117 - Sat Mar 08 2008 06:15 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: gtho4]
juls12 Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
I've noticed quite a bit of sarcasm and belittlement on the part of many responding to the frustration involved in getting a quiz online. No misspelling was involved in mine(except spelling traveler as traveller), yet I also have received about 5 rejection notices regarding my lighthearted quiz about 80s movies. The bone of contention appears to be that I haven't written enough description regarding my answers. As of my last resubmit, each answer has about 5-6 sentences. I don't think with an answer like "Charlie Sheen" I should have to go into detail about who he is and what he looks like.

Adding to my frustration, almost turning into outright contempt, is that I've come across many other recently approved quizzes which are truly dumbed down. My editor told me my questions were "boring and repetitative." How is this for a dumb question:

"Would a musical with Nazis, wimples, daring escapes, thunderstorms be butch enough for you? Which one is it?"

What does butch mean, exactly? I hope the person is not referring to gay people becasue that would be rude and insensitive. Does the grammar strike you as off at all? It should. As much as I've enjoyed this website over the years, this experience is almost enough to make say "enough." My editor kept telling me to put punctuation outside of quotation marks, this question doesn't appear to have done that. The inconsistency regarding quizzes is laughable. I really hope I didn't just get unlucky with some rogue Nazi editor - looking at most of the recently added quizzes it does appear so, however.

#167118 - Sat Mar 08 2008 06:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
agony Offline

Administrator

Please do not single out the quizzes of another author in a public forum like this - you would not like it if a quiz of yours were to be held up to contempt.

If you have a problem with your quiz submission, please work it out in private with your editor.

#167119 - Sat Mar 08 2008 08:16 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
Nannanut Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wollongong NSW Australia      
Anyone submitting a quiz needs to follow guidelines as set down for that category. Quizzes will be rejected if the guidelines aren't followed. It doesn't matter if you submitted a large portion of text - what matters is its relevance to the question asked.

Quizzes will be rejected until the guidelines have been applied satisfactorily, and I think you might find most editors are pretty consistent in expecting this.

I think your description of any staff member in the terms you have used is offensive, inappropriate and certainly misplaced.

Editor: Movies, Celebrities and General

#167120 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:01 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

My editor kept telling me to put punctuation outside of quotation marks, this question doesn't appear to have done that.

I consistently fix this in quizzes myself, putting punctuation outside the quotation marks. It's a small habit that I won't enforce, but that I make a note to correct because it's out of place unless it's a direct quotation.
For example, having a sentence like "...Jenny was a 'sitting duck,' but she never noticed until now." would mean that the comma is part of what needs to be understood or emphasized- in my mind, at least.

#167121 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:16 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
juls12 Offline
Participant

I guess my frustration in this process has been misunderstood. I don't have a grudge against the editor, I just feel the submission process is greatly flawed. My problem is not with him/her, it is with the website. I don't think for a second that this person is acting on their own just trying to get a rise out of me.

In regards to my "offensive" characterization, how is implying (not outright stating) what I said offensive yet a quiz asking "is that butch enough for you" not?

If someone were to come on a forum and call a quiz I did dumb, I probably wouldn't take it personally. But you are correct, and I do apologize to said quizmaker. My comments should have been only directed at the grammar involved in the quiz and not the content it contained.

A sample question from my quiz is: "Which of the following actors appeared in all these films from the 80's : "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Wall Street," and "Platoon?" The problems with the grammar in this question are nothing compared to the grammatical errors in the aforementioned approved quiz. Apparantly no apostrophe is needed between 80s and the punctuation should be moved outside the quotations. OK, got it now. Writing three sentences detailing Charlie Sheen's (the answer) roles in those three films isn't enough, apparently.

What else would you, the reader, wish to know about Mr. Sheen? Perhaps where he was born? What color hair he has? The fact that he and Denise Richards are divorced? How would any of those pertain to the question at hand? Does anyone taking a quiz titled "Movies/Actors of the 80s" really need an in depth detailing of Charlie Sheen?

What did the description to the answer of the "butch" question entail, you ask?

"The first of several musicals with Nazis prominent. It's not all nuns and kids you know." Wow, informative. I really learned something about "The Sound Of Music" there.

On a sidenote, through all the resubmissions the editor never once caught that I spelled Daryl Hannah wrong (with two r's). I caught that myself today before I resubmitted the quiz for the 6th time. Seems to me that might be something actually worthy of a correction.

Edited by juls12 (Sat Mar 08 2008 09:40 PM)

#167122 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:41 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
juls12 Offline
Participant

Sorry about "The Blues Brothers" bit, I was dead wrong. Willing and glad to admit it. Even though I wouldn't consider it a musical, Wikipedia and IMDB do.

Actually, all things considered, I give up in general. Sorry to anyone I may have offended, I wish you all the best in future endeavors. Maybe I took 'fun'trivia a little too serious. Adios!

Edited by juls12 (Sat Mar 08 2008 09:50 PM)

#167123 - Sat Mar 08 2008 09:54 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
Nannanut Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wollongong NSW Australia      
I think you need to concentrate on getting your own quiz online by applying the guidelines requested of you. Hauling out examples from other quizzes and in essence criticising that editing isn't constructive.

Your sarcasm when referring to editors and editing styles is unacceptable no matter how frustrated you may feel.

Editor: Movies, Celebrities and General

#167124 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:14 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Nannanut is right, obviously, but Sue's canonical line bears repeating:

"If you have a dispute with an editor when trying to get a quiz online this forum is not the place to post about it."

#167125 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:34 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nannanut]
juls12 Offline
Participant

Did not realize this forum was not the correct forum to be airing my concerns on. I understand, in the moment, that it deals with people confused about what to do if they get a rejection letter. My bad, honestly. My dispute isn't with the editor, however.

Perhaps I haven't met the guidelines, however unless you've read the quiz you don't know either. As for sarcasm, well, I guess this isn't the right forum for that either. I used it to outline my frustration of what I feel is a double standard of sorts being applied to submission of quizzes. Perhaps my dosage was a bit too concentrated and personal.

In my eyes, the stated goals of this website for new quizzes aren't being applied across the board. Or maybe my interpretation of said new goals is incorrect. I did also read that if too many quizzes for a subject exist then the chances are less for approval, which I strongly disagree with.

For instance, there are dozens and dozens of quizzes regarding "degrees of seperation" in films. However, it is hard to find a difficult - tough quiz that deals with seperation in films after 2001.

Without demeaning any one particular quizmaker or topic I will just say that many of these "new" topics are pretty questionable (in my opinion). Maybe you're just trying to gain some new audiences, that's fine. I understand, probably the majority of people come here and look for easy-average quizzes dealing with any number of random things.

I probably sound like my grandpa from the Great Depression era, talking about all these whipper-snappers and their silly new ideas. I just like taking my hard quizzes pertaining to history, geography, sports, movies, and more history. I'm probably pretty boring, and I am definitely not the demographic you're trying to reach. So I'll just shut up and stop trying to make new quizzes. As long as a plethora of good hard quizzes I like to take keep getting posted I have no real reason to complain.

Thanks to all for your efforts, keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by juls12 (Sat Mar 08 2008 10:58 PM)

#167126 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:46 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I did also read that if too many quizzes for a subject exist then the chances are less for approval, which I strongly disagree with.

This can be disputed in many ways. Although quizzes on specific topics are popular, increased volume of said topics means that questions are extremely repetitive. This is why it is harder to get quizzes online in popular categories, and why some are actually restricted.
If one takes a unique approach to the quiz, or happens to use non-repetitive questions, then there's no reason why the quiz can't go online (unless the player doesn't follow the guidelines).

Quote:

...and I am definitely not the demographic you're trying to reach.

Funtrivia tries to aim for various demographics. It's why we have the For Children category, as well as in-depth history quizzes, quizzes on specific books, and more on particle physics. We try to cover all the bases.

#167127 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:52 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
juls12 Offline
Participant

you are correct, sir.

It does suck to keep getting the same questions over and over. Certain categories (like seperation) do need a little update, however. Has there been any consideration to delete some older quizzes which aren't up to the new standards?

#167128 - Sat Mar 08 2008 10:59 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I don't think that's necessary (regarding deletions). Both the writer and the editor took the time to work on the quiz, and unless there's a discernible problem with it, there's no need for it to be removed.

I can't speak for the Movies category in terms of the 'Separation' category though.

#167129 - Sat Mar 08 2008 11:06 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
juls12 Offline
Participant

That category is fine, also. Just not up to date on newer films in difficult-tough quiz section. Not a real problem, just saying if I were to make a seperation quiz I'd have less of a chance getting it submitted.

I guess if I had a factual problem with a specific quiz there's a link to take care of that. Takes care of the whole deleting quizzes issue. So, that's that. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

#167130 - Sat Mar 08 2008 11:46 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: juls12]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:

just saying if I were to make a seperation quiz I'd have less of a chance getting it submitted

Why? Degrees of Separation is not a restricted category, because the diversity of the category is recognized and the likelihood of identical quizzes, or even identical questions, being submitted is slim.
However the guidelines do need to be followed.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#167131 - Sun Mar 09 2008 06:20 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: skunkee]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Juls12, it is hard to have much sympathy for you when you try to defend your own quiz by insulting another quiz-maker ("How is this for a dumb question"). Then you apologise ("But you are correct, and I do apologize to said quizmaker") and then you promptly insult them again ("Wow, informative. I really learned something about "The Sound Of Music" there").

If you feel there is a problem with the grammar, content or any other aspect of another member's quiz, you need to send a correction notice to the member and it will be seen by an editor. If the quiz needs to be amended, it will be.

With respect to your own quizzes, even if your complaints about the editing process are legitimate, which I doubt, there are better methods of resolving the issues than by insulting other quiz-makers and insulting editors ("rogue Nazi") in the forums.

#167132 - Sat Feb 07 2009 02:45 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
ZZZ22 Offline
Participant

Loc: California USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my quiz got rejected without a fair reason, shouldn't I just keep submitting it over and over until they decide to put it up?

If I don't have to make any corrections, make anymore original questions or fix the categories, I definitely think this is a great idea.

#167133 - Sat Feb 07 2009 02:53 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ZZZ22]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my quiz got rejected without a fair reason, shouldn't I just keep submitting it over and over until they decide to put it up?

Good reasoning, if it weren't for the fact that "they" won't decide to put it up. If you keep resubmitting a quiz without fixing the problems that were mentioned in the rejection note, your quiz will be deleted rather than placed online. (Besides, quizzes don't get rejected without a fair reason to begin with.)

#167134 - Sat Feb 07 2009 03:55 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Leau]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
ZZZ22, now we understand (and I also now get crisw's response to you) your thread on limiting the number of quizzes online per player. You want to shove through 2 minute jobs with errors in place of those which are well written and have remained much loved quizzes on this site for years. Hmm!

#167135 - Sat Feb 07 2009 06:01 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jonnowales]
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Sandusky Ohio USA         
I believe it is better not to jump to the bait that is obviously being thrown out by ZZZ22.

#167136 - Sat Feb 07 2009 12:59 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ZZZ22]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

As the editor of your quiz (way back when), I can assure you that the reasons for helping you correct your quiz were not pointless. If you're referring to the other quiz you have sent to the Video Games queue in recent weeks, then you will be receiving the same treatment as all others submitting to over-saturated, popular, restricted categories who, personally, don't meet the guidelines. These guidelines are consistent around the site, and you may hold onto (and improve upon) your quiz as you submit others in the meantime, by all means. If you are confused as to why your quiz was rejected, then I don't see why messaging the editor in question would be a lesser priority than posting on the forums with 'proposed changes' for the site.

#167137 - Tue Mar 03 2009 05:47 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
NCW75 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Western Australia
I have had no cause for complaint with my editors.

In fact, my first editor was extremely helpful and pointed me in the right direction of what was required with the types of questions, additional information etc. (I did receive some rejection notices from here but she was quite clear, concise and thoughtful in what she said). When I have been working on subsequent quizzes I have remembered her advise and used it in the next two quizzes which I have submitted (so far).

#167138 - Sun Apr 19 2009 05:13 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Linda1]
Tipper42 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Augusta Georgia USA          
My first quiz keeps getting rejected. They say I have many spelling errors, but my spell checkes says outside of the last names of the people in my questions, I have nome. They also said one of my questions is not a proper question or answer. What do I do?

#167139 - Sun Apr 19 2009 06:17 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Tipper42]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Spellcheckers will not throw up an error if there is a word which is spelled the same way as your error, an example would be 'preformed' instead of 'performed'.

You have even made a spelling mistakes in the above post, I assume you don't mean 'nome' or 'checkes'?

Perhaps get someone to read through for you to see if they spot the errors.

#167140 - Sun Apr 19 2009 06:27 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sue943]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I'm delighted by the patience and good manners displayed by the various volunteer editors and administrators to some of the rather puzzling questions raised by quiz writers. Very professional.
In my job, I have to use good spelling and grammar, along with giving accurate information. That I can do.
I also have to use IT, which I am much less confident with. So I ask those around me for advice and help. If I am too egocentric to recognise my weaknesses, my students will suffer.
Taking advice and acting on it will enable you to get a quiz online much faster, which is what you want. It seems fairly obvious in most cases that working with an editor is more efficient that going into conflict.
A dictionary might be more useful than a spellchecker in some circumstances.

#167141 - Sun Apr 19 2009 06:35 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Jabberwok]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Tipper42, just a suggestion.
Your team leader is Jedi Padawan, and her spelling and grammar seem to be very good, judging from her posts. You could easily ask her to help you to achieve your goal, as a friend and leader. Ask her to check through the wording of your quiz, in light of the editor's comments.

Edited by Jabberwok (Sun Apr 19 2009 08:22 AM)

#167142 - Sun Apr 19 2009 07:29 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Jabberwok]
Triviaballer Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA       
I agree with all the posts about the editors doing a great job, kudos to all y'all. I think sometimes we as quiz writers get frustrated when we feel like our material is being brushed off which I admit I've felt before. The grammar and quiz creation rules can be rather stringent and sometimes the quiz rejection notices are ambiguous about what we should change. Maybe it should be called something other than a "rejection notice", that has a rather negative connotation.

#167143 - Sun Apr 19 2009 11:01 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Triviaballer]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Well it's not called a "rejection notice", it's called a "correction note".

#167144 - Sun Apr 19 2009 04:53 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

My first quiz keeps getting rejected. They say I have many spelling errors, but my spell checkes says outside of the last names of the people in my questions, I have nome. They also said one of my questions is not a proper question or answer. What do I do?

You created this post long after the editor in question notified you of the specific words that were spelled incorrectly in messages to you. Also, you never had an issue with a question/answer as you said. The issue was with an identified specific question not having any valid interesting information in accordance within the Quiz Guidelines, and this specific item was identified to you three times prior. I would recommend, instead of posting issues here that somewhat don't tell the entire story, to get with the editor that was trying to help you with your quiz. I don't think they've ever given up trying to help! :-)

Edited by Nightmare (Sun Apr 19 2009 04:55 PM)

#167145 - Mon Apr 20 2009 04:06 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Nightmare]
Tipper42 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Augusta Georgia USA          
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm just eager to get my first quiz published I guess. I've already written a second quiz, and following all the advice, I copied it and pasted on word and checked it a couple of times. And you are right; the people who run this web page are great and helpful.

#167146 - Mon Jul 27 2009 03:08 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Tipper42]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I am having a quiz question issue and followed the proper procedure about sending a response to the player/editor who sent the correction, yet have not heard back. Is my responsibility to now just sit quietly and wait, or is there another direction to go? I don't want to just send the quiz back in again (although the question is correct).

#167147 - Mon Jul 27 2009 03:55 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
If it was a correction during the editing process, and you have fixed the issue, you "sign off" on the correction note by checking the little button to say you have dealt with the issue, and can then resubmit the quiz.
If the quiz is already online, you either check to say you've fixed whatever the issue is, once you have fixed it, or write a note (in the space on the correction note) to tell the editor why you are right and the correction sender is wrong as you check off the correction note.
If you have fixed something, during the editing process (so after an editor has looked at it and sent you a correction notice to say there's an issue, and you fixed the issue and signed off on the note) then you just have to resubmit the quiz, and wait for the editor to get back to it.

#167148 - Mon Jul 27 2009 03:57 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
agony Offline

Administrator

Was this an online quiz that got a correction note, or a quiz that has not as yet gone online?

If the quiz is not yet online: if the editor asked you to do something, follow those instructions, and then resubmit the quiz. If the editor asked you a question, answer the question, and then resubmit the quiz, unless the editor has indicated that you need to wait.

Editors do not go looking for quizzes - if you do not resubmit it, we will assume that you haven't yet gotten around to dealing with the problem. If you have been told not to resubmit but aren't sure what you ARE supposed to do, write to the editor (using the reply function to the notes you already have - don't start a new topic) and ask what the editor wants you to do.

If the quiz is online, you need to ascertain whether or not the player's correction is in order. If it is, make the change to your quiz, save, and mark the note "corrected". If it is not, explain your reasoning in the box provided, and mark the quiz "corrected". In either of these cases, you don't have to do anything else unless an editor contacts you, in which case you follow the instructions the editor gives you.

#167149 - Mon Jul 27 2009 04:32 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
guitargoddess Offline

My understanding of bubblesfun's quiz issue was that a submitted quiz was returned by an editor, and that bubblesfun already replied to the editor to clarify an issue, and has not yet received a reply.

If that is the case, bubblesfun, I would advise that you wait for a response. Perhaps while you are waiting you could re-read the quiz guidelines in the category you have submitted to and see if that clears anything up. But re-submitting the quiz without waiting for the editor to reply to your question, or without fixing anything, is not the way to go.

#167150 - Mon Jul 27 2009 04:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Thanks Guitar -- that was exactly the question. Thanks to all that responded!

#167151 - Wed Aug 19 2009 01:35 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
ilovemaggic2 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Illinois USA
I think I made a mistake..after submitting my first quiz and receiving a rejection notice (which was very kind and polite) I decided to delete the quiz. I had lost interest in it. Now, I can't author any other quiz, because of 'outstanding corrections on a quiz already submitted' or something like that. Please help?

#167152 - Wed Aug 19 2009 10:08 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ilovemaggic2]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

bubblesfun, I have sent you a private message.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#167153 - Wed Aug 19 2009 10:21 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ilovemaggic2]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I think I made a mistake..after submitting my first quiz and receiving a rejection notice (which was very kind and polite) I decided to delete the quiz. I had lost interest in it. Now, I can't author any other quiz, because of 'outstanding corrections on a quiz already submitted' or something like that. Please help?

Because you didn't correct your errors or mark the quiz as corrected, the system still registers you as having uncorrected errors. You'll need to wait for the system to catch up to you- it should take only a few hours, but if it persists more than a few days, only the admins can find the answer.

#167154 - Wed Aug 19 2009 06:01 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
ilovemaggic2 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Illinois USA
Quote:

Because you didn't correct your errors or mark the quiz as corrected, the system still registers you as having uncorrected errors. You'll need to wait for the system to catch up to you- it should take only a few hours, but if it persists more than a few days, only the admins can find the answer.

thanks very much. It has been at least a few months since I deleted it..so who are the admins?

#167155 - Wed Aug 19 2009 06:45 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ilovemaggic2]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Your best bet would be to send a note to either crisw or gtho4. Both of them might be able to find a solution.

#167156 - Fri Sep 04 2009 07:33 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Linda1]
jbooker8 Offline
Participant

Loc: Darlington South Carolina USA
It says on mine your previous quizzes have not been up to standard. More low quality submissions will result in loss of ability to write quizzes. Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

#167157 - Fri Sep 04 2009 07:36 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jbooker8]
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

It says on mine your previous quizzes have not been up to standard. More low quality submissions will result in loss of ability to write quizzes. Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

Our standards have increased from when the site once began accepting quizzes. We have so many visitors to this site because our standards are so high for the quizzes - that is how Funtrivia stands apart from the rest.

#167158 - Sat Sep 05 2009 12:43 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ladymacb29]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

If quizzes didn't have proper grammar and spelling, wouldn't they be too difficult to read and play?

#167159 - Sat Sep 05 2009 02:23 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
doublemm Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire England UK
In the relatively short time I have been making quizzes I have noticed the increased strictness on grammar and spelling.

Grammar and punctuation are probably the toughest things for me to overcome (my English skills not being amazing), but I have researched things such as correct punctuation usage on the internet, so as to reduce the amount of editing the editors need to do.

If it is something I have to do to keep creating quizzes and make a good name for myself here, so be it.

Edited by doublemm (Sat Sep 05 2009 02:23 AM)

#167160 - Sat Sep 05 2009 04:37 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: doublemm]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Quote:

In the relatively short time I have been making quizzes I have noticed the increased strictness on grammar and spelling.

Grammar and punctuation are probably the toughest things for me to overcome (my English skills not being amazing), but I have researched things such as correct punctuation usage on the internet, so as to reduce the amount of editing the editors need to do.

If it is something I have to do to keep creating quizzes and make a good name for myself here, so be it.

So in fact you have been learning useful skills whilst 'playing' on the site, a bonus surely. I must say that I do stop and think sometimes before writing now.

#167161 - Sat Sep 05 2009 05:00 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: sue943]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
The quiz editors have helped me to make better quizzes

#167162 - Fri Jan 01 2010 07:18 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Quote:
Why are they so strict on quizzes, I thought this was a have a good time site but they act like your in English or Grammar class.

I have trouble just reading this question - a whole quiz written like this would drive me spare! There are at least 4 major grammar/punctuation issues, most obvious of which is the 'your' (repeated in the previous question of the original posting)!

A good quiz question has to be easily read, so you are only being tested on your knowledge, not on your ability to interpret a poorly-presented quesiton>

#167163 - Fri Jan 01 2010 07:21 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I forgot to preview that last posting - it should have ended 'question.', not 'quesiton>'. Proofreading is SO important!

#167164 - Wed Feb 17 2010 03:32 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: looney_tunes]
LillianRock Offline
Participant

Loc: Lillian Rock NSW Australia   
I'm fairly new in Quizzyland (Dec 2009) and only have a few quizzes on line. The one thing that astounds me is the amount of trouble people have getting quizzes accepted.

I try to use humour in my quizzes (in questions, answers and notes) and because of this I sometimes "push the envelope". This often results in correction notes from editors asking me to "tone it down" or "think of how <such and such> might view my joke" etc. Have a look at my team membership and you will get a better idea of what I mean.

At all times I have found the editors to be friendly, supportive and constructive. Given that they are volunteers we should all be grateful.

My simple rules for getting a quiz accepted are:

1. Keep it interesting

2. Use spell and grammar checking but get an educated human being to give it the once over as well. Microsoft are not perfect (notwithstanding their advertising).

3. Remember that the first two "W"s stand for "World Wide" and that people from non-English speaking backgrounds may be reading your quiz. They would have learned correct grammar, spelling and punctuation in their English class even though you may not have.

4. If you are asked to correct your quiz read what the editor has to say before shooting from the lip. If you don't understand then drop them a friendly note.

5. Be nice in all your correspondence. Even in the hypothetical circumstance that an editor is being a complete moron you will get a better response from all concerned if you keep your head. If you respond by also being a complete moron the other editors will probably not support you fully.

6. Don't use the Fora as your first port of call when you don't agree with an editor. Approach them nicely and if that doesn't work use the appropriate mechanism. (Did you notice the correct but somewhat obsolete use of "Fora" as the plural of "Forum" there? Yes, I am a smartypants so please don't bother hassling me).

Thnks for listeniing. Keep on questioning.

#167165 - Wed Feb 17 2010 07:24 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: LillianRock]
agony Offline

Administrator

All good advice, LillianRock.

agony, editor in Literature, Music and For Children

#167166 - Wed Feb 17 2010 11:43 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
cazza2902 Offline
Participant

Loc: Abbotsford VIC Australia     
I know there are some grumbles about the editors but the ones I have worked with have been very helpful. One in particular was great in getting me to sort out my capitalisation issues - I learnt a lot and I think/hope my quizzes have now improved in this area.

#629447 - Sat May 28 2011 01:00 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: cazza2902]
Oidioid32123 Offline
Participant

Loc: Tokyo, United States
All of the editor's I've worked with have been great.

#629566 - Sat May 28 2011 09:35 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Oidioid32123]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Almost all the editors I have dealt with have been extremely helpful.
When I needed to delete a submitted quiz because of a cultural issue that had arisen, the editor in question went out of her way to assist me, and told me how to save the quiz offline so that I can easily recreate it when the issue is no longer an issue.
And the advice I have been given has invariably made the quiz that bit better !
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#659276 - Fri Oct 07 2011 10:30 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: AnyaAngie]
anatalee Offline
Participant

Well i have been trying for weeks and still havent got any thing dont what is going i sumbbited 1 changes keep on going up and down its not very for any one else would want to put on a quiz my quiz Music and is mixture.:)

#659284 - Fri Oct 07 2011 10:49 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: anatalee]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

anatalee, according to the information I have access to, your Music quiz has never been submitted for editor review.

You currently have one quiz submitted about tennis. This quiz was originally submitted on 19 September. Then on 6 October you changed the category and re-saved. This puts a new submitted date on your quiz of 6 October and it is sent to the end of the editing queue.

Edited by LadyCaitriona (Fri Oct 07 2011 10:51 AM)

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#661922 - Tue Oct 18 2011 07:07 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: LadyCaitriona]
dersinghampaul Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Abu Dhabi
I hope I am posting in the right area - my first post. I do have something of a general grievance on the editing of quizzes. A couple of my quizzes have had to go through extensive editing and re-editing; one of the reasons is that I am not supposed to have numerical answers to the film quizzes I do, another is that some of my questions are deemed too difficult, and therefore it will end up being rated poorly.

However a very new quiz on Doctor Who's second series has just gone online in the last couple of days. (1) It is incredibly difficult (2) One of the questions requires a numerical answer and (3) There is a grammatical error ("it's" instead of "its") in the preamble to the quiz.

I can't help but feel that there are double standards at play here. I am totally in support of the correct use of grammar and punctuation - I hate the misuse of the possessive apostrophe for example - so I am surprised that this glaring error got through; but these things happen. However I am somewhat aggrieved that the quiz seems to flout other 'rules' that I have not got away with.

As far as I am concerned, the quizzer concerned can make his or her quiz as difficult as they like; if I know nothing about Doctor Who's second series, I can choose not to play the quiz. I'm not going to rate it poorly just because I don't know the answers! I rate a quiz poorly if I think it's lazy (repeating questions from other, previous quizzes for example) or for many other reasons.

Finally there is a question on there which requires a numerical answer; again, I don't mind at all (if the answer is interesting) but once again why is that OK but not my question?

The kinds of quizzes I want to set are on specific films - 'Get Carter', 'Double Indemnity', 'Withnail and I' etc. I want to make these questions difficult (NOT impossible ie stupid questions like 'What's the car registration of the car in such and such scene') as the people who want to play such quizzes expect difficult quizzes. There's no point asking a devotee of a cult film like 'Withnail and I' who played 'Withnail', it's too easy. I got a very nice compliment from someone the other day on my 'Withnail and I' quiz who only scored 4 out of 10 but praised it for being 'very hard!'

I've gone on a bit but I'd be interested to hear what others think about this - and indeed what editors think.

#661923 - Tue Oct 18 2011 07:10 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: Oidioid32123]
dersinghampaul Offline
Learning the ropes...

Shame you've written "editor's" though!

#661924 - Tue Oct 18 2011 07:14 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: anatalee]
dersinghampaul Offline
Learning the ropes...

Don't want to be rude, but your two lines or so are almost unreadable; it may therefore be that your quiz(zes) is/are being rejected due to the poor grammar and spelling?

#661927 - Tue Oct 18 2011 08:19 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: dersinghampaul]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

I'm not an editor for Movies or TV, but perhaps I can offer some general advice.

In terms of difficulty, there are many levels. There's difficult in terms of what an average viewer would find difficult, and then there's difficult in terms of what a really huge fan of the show would find difficult. Or it could be that the level of difficulty of that one question didn't fit with the overall level of difficulty of your quiz.

With respect to numbers questions, I know that I discourage players from using them (players don't enjoy them) but I make allowances if I feel the author has demonstrated that the number was poignant. For example, the answer to one question I allowed recently was "9 months" and in the info the author explained that a character likened the length of time to that of human gestation. A player is more likely to remember that than the number itself, making it a fair question IMHO.

Also, the Category Notes for Movies (main Movies page > Quiz Creation Notes for Movies > Unacceptable Questions > Numerical) states specifically: "Please avoid questions that ask about heights, weights, dates, time of day, or other numerical data. These questions are very boring to players who must guess at them, and can almost always be replaced by more interesting questions. Quizzes with numerical questions will probably be rejected." The Television category has no restriction about numerical questions, but the allowing or disallowing of a numerical question would still be at the discretion of the editor.

#661999 - Tue Oct 18 2011 12:13 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: LadyCaitriona]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Are some of the recent posts missing from this thread? I don't understand the comments in the last two posts by dersinghampaul... who they are directed to and what they refer to.

#662002 - Tue Oct 18 2011 12:22 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: shuehorn]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
(Shuehorn: Are some of the recent posts missing from this thread? I don't understand the comments in the last two posts by dersinghampaul... who they are directed to and what they refer to.)

I think dersinghampaul's second post (number 661923) refers to oidioid's post number 629447.
Likewise dersinghampaul's third post (number 661924) seems to be a reply to anatalee's first post in this thread (post number 659276).

All this can be quite confusing. Therefor a word of advice: the best way to reply to a previous post is to copy it (or the part you want to reply to). See how I replied to Sue's question.

#662029 - Tue Oct 18 2011 02:02 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: JanIQ]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
All this can be quite confusing. Therefor a word of advice: the best way to reply to a previous post is to copy it (or the part you want to reply to). See how I replied to Sue's question.

And the website has the functionality to do it for you by pressing quote. I agree. Thanks for the clarification, JanIQ.

#662041 - Tue Oct 18 2011 02:12 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: dersinghampaul]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: dersinghampaul
Don't want to be rude, but your two lines or so are almost unreadable; it may therefore be that your quiz(zes) is/are being rejected due to the poor grammar and spelling?

I think that written communication is a difficult thing. The tone doesn't get transmitted and the reader can take things more or less aggressively than they were intended. To be honest, your original post, dersinghampaul, sounded a bit defensive and rude how I read it. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, and on rereading it I cut you a little slack.

I too have had people ask me to simplify my quizzes, and even though I want to have tough ones, I have followed the suggestions. The quizzes are still not easy, but I do think they came out better, I had to force myself to give more information of interest. A quiz answer can be clever and difficult without being numerical.

Hang in there, and I look forward to playing your quizzes.

Sue

Edited by shuehorn (Tue Oct 18 2011 02:13 PM)

#662062 - Tue Oct 18 2011 02:56 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: dersinghampaul]
guitargoddess Offline

Originally Posted By: dersinghampaul
I hate the misuse of the possessive apostrophe for example - so I am surprised that this glaring error got through; but these things happen.

As the editor who accepted the quiz you're referring to... sorry but I don't find it that glaring. I well know the different between its and it's, though I usually need to stop and think about which one I need to use. It's an easy one to miss as the incorrect version is still a correct word. These things definitely do happen.

As for your other issues, as LadyCatriona said above, Television has no such restrictions on numerical answers. We may discourage them if they are particularly picky or impossible to answer even for huge fans, but we don't have a general ban on such questions. There are some site-wide authoring guidelines, but then each category has some of their own. Movies has restrictions that don't apply to Television quizzes because Movies' requirements are at the discretion of Movies' editors. Animals has guidelines that Celebrities doesn't, Brain Teasers has several restrictions unique to that category, etc. This is why it is important for authors to read the guidelines of each category they want to write in, and also recognize that the guidelines do not cover every issue that your quiz may be rejected for.

Same goes for difficulty... there is no hard and fast rule on this, but it's at editor discretion. If I see questions that are needlessly complex or confusing, I'll suggest to the author that they might be way too hard and that players may rate their quiz poorly (many people hate trick questions), but if the author chooses to keep the difficult questions, so be it. If they technically meet our requirements, then fine, I'll let them pass. Plus we can't always know what's too hard if it's just about the subject matter. I don't know one single thing about Doctor Who so I have no idea whatsoever if the questions are easy, average, or impossible. In addition, it's usually helpful for authors to learn through experience what kind of questions work and which don't, and what difficulty level players are most receptive to, etc.

#662101 - Tue Oct 18 2011 04:27 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

As the editor who edited your Movies quiz I don't think you have been completely fair in your recounting of that process.

I explained to you that Movies was the only category that did not allow questions requiring numerical answers, told you the reasoning behind it and pointed out that this was spelled out in the Movies Guidelines.

You were not made to change questions because they were too tough. I asked you to reconsider the questions because I felt that the quiz would rate poorly because of them and explained this to you. However if you had wanted to leave them that way you were certainly welcome to.

#662102 - Tue Oct 18 2011 04:37 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: skunkee]
guitargoddess Offline

Originally Posted By: skunkee

I explained to you that Movies was the only category that did not allow questions requiring numerical answers, told you the reasoning behind it and pointed out that this was spelled out in the Movies Guidelines.

Animals and Sci/Tech do not typically take numerical answers either.

#662103 - Tue Oct 18 2011 05:08 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks for that clarification GG!

#662173 - Wed Oct 19 2011 01:40 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: skunkee]
jmorrow Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Singapore
As the other Movies editor working on your Movies quizzes, I feel that I should weigh in as well.

I wouldn't say that there are double standards at play here - as has been pointed out already, different categories have different guidelines, so what may be acceptable in one category may not be acceptable in another. As I have indicated to you privately, these guidelines have been developed over the years based on the editors' experience with what does and doesn't work in that category.

In the case of questions requiring numerical answers, the experience in the Movies category has been that such questions tend to be nitpicky and therefore unpopular with players, as well as notoriously difficult to verify if they should ever generate correction notes. For these reasons, Movies has adopted a specific guideline that says that such questions will probably be rejected, while reserving the right to allow for exceptions.

I don't edit in the Television category, but from what has already been said, it seems like while they don't have a specific restriction on numerical answers, they do discourage such questions if they are particularly picky or impossible to answer, so the two approaches really aren't that far apart at the end of the day.

As to the issue of difficult questions, I too don't recall ever asking you to replace a question because it was too difficult. I do recall rejecting some of your questions because they didn't comply with another Movies guideline, which is that players should be able to answer the questions in a Movies quiz from having watched the film and its credits only. I also advised you of the reasons for this - a 'behind-the-scenes' or 'making of' quiz would likely attract less plays than a 'straight-up' quiz about the events of a film, and correction notes on such quizzes are also difficult for editors to fact check. You were given the choice of the direction you wanted to take on your current Movies quiz, and you chose to rework it as a straight-up quiz about the movie. If you would rather write a making-of or behind-the-scenes quiz, that option is still open to you. You just need to apply the changes I advised you of in my last correction note.

The editors are here to help authors with the guidelines, but along the way we do also try to advise authors (especially new ones) about what is and is not popular with players. We do this because we assume that all authors care, at least to some extent, about the ratings for their quizzes. It is also our way of passing on some benefit of our collective experiences with quiz writing.

If there is a double standard at work at all, it is this: the editors may be more willing to allow for exceptions to the guidelines in the case of experienced authors who have proven themselves to be careful and responsible. Speaking for myself, I would be more prepared to accept a quiz submission that pushed the boundaries of our guidelines if it came from an author with a good track record of dealing with corrections and writing quizzes that were largely error-free.

You are something of an unknown entity to the editors at the moment - you joined the site in September, and have only two quizzes under your belt to-date. I appreciate that you want to craft a certain type of quiz on specific films, but it may just be that you are trying to do too much too soon. We all need to learn how to walk before we can run. I applaud your enthusiasm, and I am sorry if you feel that this is stifling to your quiz writing efforts, but I feel that you need to demonstrate to the editors that you are able to work within our guidelines before you attempt to bend (not break) those same guidelines. I hope this makes sense.

#662239 - Wed Oct 19 2011 12:54 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: guitargoddess]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Originally Posted By: guitargoddess

Animals and Sci/Tech do not typically take numerical answers either.

People prefers not to have them too (although we don't disallow them completely).

#662248 - Wed Oct 19 2011 01:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jmorrow]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: jmorrow
I applaud your enthusiasm, and I am sorry if you feel that this is stifling to your quiz writing efforts, but I feel that you need to demonstrate to the editors that you are able to work within our guidelines before you attempt to bend (not break) those same guidelines. I hope this makes sense.

All of the comments by editors are much appreciated, because anyone who wants to write better and better quizzes can gain insight from your points of view. I've quoted this bit from morrow's answer becuase it epitomizes for me the generosity of spirit of the editors, who try very hard to give us feedback and make our quizzes a better product, all on a volunteer basis and for the improvement of the site. This is why I love FT so much. Thanks to all of the editors for all you do.

Sue

#662264 - Wed Oct 19 2011 02:48 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: shuehorn]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Couldn't have put it better, Sue!

#662463 - Thu Oct 20 2011 08:27 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: reeshy]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: reeshy
Couldn't have put it better, Sue!
I'll bet you could have spelled "because" correctly. smile

I'd correct it myself, but the edit button seems to be gone for my post. smile

#662668 - Fri Oct 21 2011 10:32 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: shuehorn]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Just for the benefit of some of the apparently new quizwriters further up the thread, I write quizzes I hope other people will like. That means whatever I start with is only a framework, and then adapt it to what will end up making the quiz as good as possible. It seems some start more with a pretty fixed list of questions they like and then do all they can to get them accepted whatever the actual playing experience will be like.

Remember however interested you are in any area your quizzes are being played 100% by other people, so if the editors have learned over time and correction notices what people don't like, however valid and relevant they are, then go with it. It means better ratings and less trouble having quizzes accepted in the future, and overall a better quiz site for everyone playing.

UN IPCC

#662745 - Fri Oct 21 2011 06:06 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: satguru]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Wow. What a discussion. I would just like to give an opinion as a quiz taker, not a big quiz writer. I think the Movie section should really rethink the numeric and date policy. Part of the beauty of the movie industry is how things have changed over the years, and there are some key dates that are important in the evolution. Knowing where things fit into the great timeline is a great part of the industry. As a quiz taker, I would far prefer to have some date questions, rather than having to know what color shirt Harry Potter was wearing or who he was standing next to in Potions class, the type of questions that appear all the time. This may just be my opinion, but I think a lot of interesting info is left off because of the restrictions. What may be nitpicky to some is fascinating information to others -- and vice versa.

Edited by bubblesfun (Fri Oct 21 2011 06:07 PM)

#662748 - Fri Oct 21 2011 06:20 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mesa AZ
Alex, are you kidding? He was wearing a red shirt, standing beside Draco...No, it was a green shirt when he stood beside Ron...Wait a minute, it was...nevermind.

#662776 - Fri Oct 21 2011 07:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: ssabreman]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I'd never chosen to play movie quizzes, but when I did in hard core I found the one thing I remembered were storylines. If it was either familiar, or I could work it out somehow from the title alone at least I stood a chance of getting them right. Numbers, including dates, legs, children or whatever are fairly arbitrary items, and unless you have a good numerical memory then whether Pearl Harbour was on December the 21st, 25th or 27th is neither memorable and I'd suggest interesting. Yes, it's factual and important, but remembering what happened in something must have more merit than counting the statistics.

I would say if there was a demand (by quiz play stats) then maybe there could be specific numeric quizzes as they do have a place in training memories at least, but especially on timed quizzes when I'm asked how many children were in Family Ties or Full House (which we don't even get here) yet again I don't really want to save such information to my memory just to get slightly better scores.

Edited by satguru (Fri Oct 21 2011 07:52 PM)

UN IPCC

#662796 - Fri Oct 21 2011 09:17 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: satguru]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Not sure what Pearl Harbor, Full House and Family Ties have to do with a movie discussion. Ah well, my point stands. I do care about the movies of 1939, a huge year, or when talkies came into being, or when was the last time Disney won an Oscar. Or the first year a woman won Best Director. As a movie buff, these dates count. And it is a part of the industry. Again, just as relevant as the designer underwear MJF was wearing in Back to the Future.

#662805 - Fri Oct 21 2011 09:38 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: satguru]
jmorrow Offline
Mainstay

Quote:
I don't really want to save such information to my memory just to get slightly better scores.

I think that about sums up the general feeling of quiz players towards numerical answers, but bubblesfun does bring up a good point.

As I've indicated before, the rule is not absolute, so if you feel that an exception should be made on a question you have written, then the proper thing to do would be to engage with your editor and give your reasons. Also, subcategories like the Oscars are a little different, since people who play such quizzes would expect to be quizzed on statistics and the like. Just bear in mind that the Movies category has a specific restriction on questions about release dates of films, as they differ around the world, and FT is an international site.

Even if a piece of numerical information is particularly fascinating or significant, such that a good question can and should be made from it, it is often possible to write your question in such a way that doesn't require a numerical answer. This is part of the challenge (and fun) of quiz writing here on Fun Trivia. Get creative, and find a way to work within the authoring guidelines. You'll probably write a truly original question in the process, since most other authors would only think to ask the question in a more straightforward manner.

BTW, although the Movies category doesn't have a specific restriction about questions on colors, we do discourage such questions, since they often suffer from the same problems as numerical questions, and it is usually hard for an author to come up with interesting information sections for questions about colors. Of course, exceptions are possible, but more often than not, this is what gets submitted.

Quote:
Question: What color is Harry Potter's shirt in Potions class?
Answer: Green
Interesting Information: It is green. You can see it clearly in the scene.

#662827 - Fri Oct 21 2011 10:29 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jmorrow]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Video Games has a very similar issue, not so much with numerical questions, but with dates. With Video Games, release dates can vary all around the world and as time goes by, they become less and less relevant.

Sure, a game came out in a specific region in a specific year, but how many people can name off this sequel and when it was released in that in that region of the world? Does it really matter that much, especially with rereleases, porting, and online accessibility? As such we try to disallow these questions unless there's a good reason not to.

I can imagine that a number of issues can arise with dates in other categories; it happens in Television with airdates and it's not hard to believe the same thing happens in movies with international releases, limited vs. theatrical releases, etc. There are many more interesting questions out there that can be asked-- without getting into subjective tastes on what's 'interesting'-- but we're usually willing to bend the rules a little under different circumstances.

#662830 - Fri Oct 21 2011 10:44 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: bubblesfun]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
Not sure what Pearl Harbor, Full House and Family Ties have to do with a movie discussion. Ah well, my point stands. I do care about the movies of 1939, a huge year, or when talkies came into being, or when was the last time Disney won an Oscar. Or the first year a woman won Best Director. As a movie buff, these dates count. And it is a part of the industry. Again, just as relevant as the designer underwear MJF was wearing in Back to the Future.

I think that a quiz about the movies of 1939 would be very interesting, and it wouldn't violate the rules of the category at all, unless the quiz were about putting the historic movies of 1939 in chronological order, or something like that. Dates that are milestones should be and are allowed. Minutia about duration of scenes or how many times someone said a certain thing are less interesting, and I think that is what the suggested restrictions are getting at.

#662834 - Fri Oct 21 2011 10:58 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: shuehorn]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:
Minutia about duration of scenes or how many times someone said a certain thing are less interesting, and I think that is what the suggested restrictions are getting at.

Exactly right. That, and what was the license plate number of the car that we saw for two seconds, or how many shots were fired, or how old was Johnny Depp when he made the movie, etc. etc. As jmorrow has pointed out, release date questions are not allowed because of the variable nature of the dates. However, a quiz about the movies of 1939 would be very welcome, and would fit nicely into the Movies by Year subcategory. (In this case the date is given, not asked for, so the problem is avoided.)

Spanishliz (editor in Movies, Geography, Crosswords)

#662836 - Fri Oct 21 2011 11:27 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: spanishliz]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A date of the original (not successive) release of a movie is often necessary to distinguish it from an earlier versions or later remakes. Heck, the sparse generation of new ideas out of casting town means most of them will be remade and all movie questions might then need dating to tell them apart. But the question really shouldn't be about the date of release, that's logistics or historical data. Plot, character and their development, suspense techniques, settings should carry the day. Quick without looking: "What's the runtime on 'The Wizard of OZ'?" (103 minutes), not very important. But in that movie the color of Dorothy's slippers is a good question as they were central to the plot whereas Potter's shirt color wasn't.

#662854 - Sat Oct 22 2011 06:57 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Music allows a lot of numerical questions, because for some reason a lot of people are interested in and like chart statistics. Personally, I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it, but chart quizzes get good play, and good ratings. Given this, the next issue to arise is *how* the question is asked.

"What position did "This Song" reach in the charts?" is a question that you'll never see in a Music quiz - there are so many charts, internationally, that the question is meaningless without more detail. Same with release date questions, or "What was the first single from this album?". This kind of question needs to be worded properly, so that players have the information they need in order to answer.

To bring us back to the original question in this discussion - you may, at first glance, think that guidelines are being applied arbitrarily. "How come I can't ask a numerical question, but this guy could?" can be answered by actually looking at the circumstances. You maybe asked "How high did the song get in the charts?" while he asked "How high did the song get on the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1987?". Not really the same thing at all.

#662868 - Sat Oct 22 2011 09:20 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Great points all around. Thanks for the further explanations and examples. It makes much more sense now. Although it would be nice to see some of the other nit-picky questions culled, not just the number ones.

#662883 - Sat Oct 22 2011 11:11 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jmorrow]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Harry would never have worn green to Potions, or any other class. He wears his school uniform to all of his classes, including a white shirt and grey sweater with red trim and a red-and-gold tie. Only the Slytherins' uniforms are accented with green.

(End tangent)

#662888 - Sat Oct 22 2011 11:39 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: LadyCaitriona]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona

Quote:

Harry would never have worn green to Potions, or any other class. He wears his school uniform to all of his classes, including a white shirt and grey sweater with red trim and a red-and-gold tie. Only the Slytherins' uniforms are accented with green.

(End tangent)

Haha, I love you for this comment :P

#662907 - Sat Oct 22 2011 02:02 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: reeshy]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I only referred to the TV programmes and historical dates to make the exact point that it doesn't matter what category you're playing in, a number's a number. They're no easier to memorise in movies than any other category except maths which usually guarantee a mark off each time I get one as I can't do that either, but at least is the one place number answers rule.

UN IPCC

#662947 - Sat Oct 22 2011 05:49 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: satguru]
jmorrow Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

LOL, LadyC! smile

And if this was sent as a correction note to that question, the only way to deal with it if the author was long gone and none of the Movies editors were familiar with the film would be for one of the editors to watch the film to see who was right.

Multiply that by the other CNs we receive on a daily basis about the hair color of a particular character (is brown the same thing as dark blond?), or the number of times Jason kills someone with a machete in the film, and you can begin to see the problem, purely form the perspective of corrections. The Movies editors would much rather spend our time editing quizzes and placing them online than watching (sometimes renting) movies just to check some obscure detail, so this is one reason we discourage such questions in the first place.

Of course, the other reason is that players don't seem to like them.

Quote:
[I]t would be nice to see some of the other nit-picky questions culled, not just the number ones.

We are doing what we can on new quizzes and questions. As for the older quizzes on the site, most of these were written when our guidelines were very different so they have been grandfathered into the system, i.e. we generally don't require them to be rewritten to conform with current guidelines. We will still make corrections for typos and grammar, or if the answer is wrong, but we try not to change a question that has since been disallowed, as it wouldn't be fair to the original author.

#663248 - Tue Oct 25 2011 07:25 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jmorrow]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Having been away for a few days I am coming back late to this discussion.
I agree that knowing the timing of a movie can be both interesting and important. There is nothing to stop you from including the date of the movie, in either the question or the Interesting Information, or any other numerical information you want to share, for that matter. We simply ask that you don't phrase a question around it.

I have to agree that I don't enjoy quizzes about the colour of things, unless there is a theme building around a colour!

#663306 - Tue Oct 25 2011 04:02 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: skunkee]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

I have to agree that I don't enjoy quizzes about the colour of things, unless there is a theme building around a colour!

Would it be absolutely cruel of me to submit the title "People Who Wore Green Shirts" as an Author Challenge?

#663314 - Tue Oct 25 2011 04:20 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: LadyCaitriona]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Quote:
Would it be absolutely cruel of me to submit the title "People Who Wore Green Shirts" as an Author Challenge?

Perhaps a little, but a skilled author might be able to make a good quiz from the title without ever asking who wore the green shirts.

#663337 - Tue Oct 25 2011 06:09 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: spanishliz]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mesa AZ
And we will find that Harry Potter did in fact wear a green shirt to Potions class on one particular dress-down Friday.

#663612 - Wed Oct 26 2011 10:54 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: jmorrow]
dersinghampaul Offline
Learning the ropes...

Thanks for this - I can't seem to get the forums right, I am posting replies, but they seem to come out as standalones for some reason, need to really sit down and work out how to communicate on these forums.

One quick question though, having been away for a few days from the site - my 'Get Carter' quiz seems to have disappeared off the site. It's now gone from the 'New' section, but it's not in Movies under 'G' next to 'Get Shorty'; any ideas what's happened to it?

#663614 - Wed Oct 26 2011 11:02 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: dersinghampaul]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

"Get Carter" doesn't have its own subcategory yet, so your quiz is in the Movies : G : Ga - Gm Movies subcategory, at the very top.

--------
Spanishliz - Editor in Movies, Geography, Crosswords

Edited by spanishliz (Wed Oct 26 2011 11:03 PM)

#663631 - Thu Oct 27 2011 05:12 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: dersinghampaul]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Your quiz is housed here:

Movies > Movies D-G > G > Ga - Gm.

Many categories are categorized alphabetically, but where your quiz falls on a specific page will not necessarily be in alphabetical order. Right now your quiz is still "new" so it's listed at the top of the "Ga - Gm" movies with another new quiz, but once it loses its "new" status it will be listed on this page according to how well it's been ranked by the people who have played it, with the best quizzes appearing near the top of a page.

#663652 - Thu Oct 27 2011 07:01 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: dersinghampaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

If you're not a Gold Member, the pages won't update as quickly for you. So the quiz is there, I can see it, but you just can't see it yet.

I'm also wondering if you are looking in the right place - if there is only one quiz on a movie, it won't have a category of its own, but will be in the appropriate alphabetical section - Movies G, say.

Your posts may be getting moved by administration, if they have been initially posted in the wrong place. Each thread is one topic or one conversation. If your question doesn't pertain to that topic, it will be moved, either to the correct thread, or to start its own thread.

#663653 - Thu Oct 27 2011 07:02 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

Whoops, sorry, didn't see there was a second page here, with the question already answered.

#663820 - Thu Oct 27 2011 04:30 PM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: agony]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: agony
Whoops, sorry, didn't see there was a second page here, with the question already answered.

I did the same thing. smile Sneaky pages.

#810492 - Tue Jul 24 2012 06:59 AM Re: If you get a rejection notice on a quiz [Re: LadyCaitriona]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I've been reading through some of the older posts in this thread, which I came across by accident. I would just like to say, that as someone who has received rejection notices on some of my quizzes (not all), I do not at all take what the editors have to say with regard to my quizzes personally. I try to make a point of thanking my editors when they have offered good suggestions for my quiz, or pointed out something I had overlooked. I don't always remember to do this, but I try, because they do spend their own personal time reviewing the quizzes. I also have found that replying to them via message asking for additional information or suggestions, has greatly improved my quizzes (at least from my POV), especially with the more difficult questions to write. So thank you looney_tunes, LadyCaitriona, CellarDoor, guitargoddess, MotherGoose, and agony, and any one of my editors I may have forgotten. You all have made my quiz making experience great. Will be sending more your way soon smile

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Tue Jul 24 2012 07:01 AM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4