Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#168384 - Thu Apr 17 2003 05:44 AM Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Prosecutor agrees that parents not involved in JonBenet Ramsey murder

DENVER (AP) — The Boulder district attorney on Monday endorsed a federal judge's declaration that an intruder was more likely to have killed JonBenet Ramsey than the 6-year-old beauty queen's parents.

Authorities never charged the parents in the death of the girl, whose body was found in the family's Boulder home Dec. 26, 1996. However, police refused to clear the couple of suspicion and ruled out the possibility that an intruder was responsible.

"I agree with the court's conclusion that 'the weight of the evidence is more consistent with a theory that an intruder murdered JonBenet than it is with a theory that Mrs. Ramsey did it,"' District Attorney Mary Keenan said in a statement released Monday.

U.S. District Judge Julie Carnes last week dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed against John and Patsy Ramsey by a Boulder freelance journalist whom the Ramseys described as a suspect in a book they wrote about the murder.

The journalist, Chris Wolf, argued in the lawsuit that Patsy Ramsey killed her daughter and tried to cover it up.

"I think the 61/2-year nightmare of John and Patsy Ramsey having to face false accusations of being involved in the murder of their child is now over," said L. Lin Wood, the Ramseys' lawyer.

Keenan was not available to answer questions, said spokesman Jim Burrus. Keenan earlier had taken the case from Boulder police, who have rejected the intruder theory.

Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner issued a written statement saying he was surprised Keenan went public with what he called her personal beliefs. He said her statement might be interpreted as criticism of police.

Beckner said his department has "a supporting role" in the investigation and said he still hopes the case will be solved.

A grand jury considering the evidence adjourned in 1999 with no indictment issued.
http://courttv.com
------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------

I wonder why the D.A. finally made this statement--after all this time?

#168385 - Fri Apr 18 2003 06:20 AM Re: Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
It's about time. After being tried, convicted and persecuted by their fellow Americans, the Ramseys can hopefully acquire some relief. This was a clear case of being guilty until proven innocent.

Whether or not the Ramsays are innocent or guilty isn't the point.....it's their treatment by the press that is and has been a disgrace. Just the other night I watched a segment about the crime, when a noted 'reporter' expressed her opinion that Patsy Ramsey caught John and JonBenet having sex, got mad, and killed the child. What kind of sick mind not only thinks of this, but has the gaul to repeat it? And this type of crap has plagued the Ramseys from the beginning.

Everybody deserves some dignity, even the guilty.....and especially the innocent.

#168386 - Fri Apr 18 2003 02:41 PM Re: Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Valois - I agree entirely with your point, if there isn't the evidence to try and convict then everyone deserves the right to be considered innocent. It's a sign of the times that of the Media decides someone is guilty then they must be regardless of the facts involved.

#168387 - Sun Apr 20 2003 12:20 PM Re: Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
Jax Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Okla
I think there is a lot more to the story than just guilt or innocents.
I don't think there is much doubt the Ramseys would have been convicted long ago had it not been for their great financial means. This and the OJ trial reflect one end of the overall justice scales.
On the other end of the scale there are plenty of innocents sitting in jail because they did not have the means for a proper defense.
If money makes the difference between innocent and guilt, where is the justice?

#168388 - Wed Apr 23 2003 09:31 AM Re: Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
valois Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I don't think money had anything to do with it. It was the complete incompetence of the Boulder police force that made one stupid mistake after another, and who almost immediately 'blamed' the Ramseys. Then the tabloids took over.

Evidence purposely or mistakenly overlooked really does point to an intruder.

And...John Ramsey lost his lucrative business (Access Graphics) because of all of the tabloid publicity.

#168389 - Mon Jun 09 2003 02:50 PM Re: Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
cag1970 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Charlotte North Carolina USA
Based on what I've heard about and know about this case, there's no way I'm believing an intruder killed that little girl...There's too much that has gone on, been said, and been done to prove to me otherwise. Who would break into a house full of people and only harm the littlest one? To me, that doesn't make sense...It's possible that someone with a grudge against the Ramseys did it; even more remotely possible is the fact that a random burglar, someone who got scared and panicked and hurt her, did it. It'd be nice to figure this all out, but to my way of thinking, someone in that house killed that girl.

#168390 - Mon Jun 09 2003 07:02 PM Re: Jon Benet's Parents Off The Hook
etartherat10 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kentucky YSA
Bloody tabloids. Only the most senseless of people would believe them anyway.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943