Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168649 - Fri Apr 18 2003 06:13 AM Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Where was the worst place you have been holed up in, just for a short period of time?

I was forced to sit in Moscow airport for 8 hours for a connecting flight and it was dingy, dirty, dark and thoroughly depressing.

They wanted to charge me $50 (AUD) for a piece of fish so I ate chips (crisps) all day instead.

#168650 - Fri Apr 18 2003 09:14 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
No doubt about it! The worst place definitely was the central train station in Prague, last summer during the flood. I had to spend 14 hours there, waiting for the first train out of the country. All day my sister and I sat on a bench in front of the station between the homeless and the junkies. Because we were supposed to leave Prague a day earlier we had just spent all of our Czech money, so all we had to eat was dry bread.

#168651 - Fri Apr 18 2003 01:15 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

North Lima, Ohio, in a motel room that made Turturro's room in "Barton Fink" look like the Plaza Suite. Buzzing flies, a bare bulb, a mythical air conditioner, crutz on the windows, and an unbelievable ambience of degeneracy and doom. Arguably worse than Van Gogh's Night-Cafe at Arles. The absolute nadir.

#168652 - Fri Apr 18 2003 02:08 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
So was there any livestock in the bed with you - and I am not referring to Mrs Coolupway?

#168653 - Fri Apr 18 2003 03:30 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
Jakarta airport, Indonesia 1998. After a week in Bali living as a Rupee millionaire, sucking on frozen margaritas, buying Rolex watches and Ralph Lauren polo's, I was more then ready to come home. Unfortunately my departure coincided with the riots in Sumatra (remember Suharto?) Most flights out of Denpasar were commandeered at Jakarta to take the Chinese nationals out of country. After 12 hours of sitting on the concrete floor there, I managed to get on a flight to Jakarta. My logic was to get to an airport that actually had planes and perhaps a ride to Singapore. Wrong. 56 hours of sleeping back to back in a 40 degree cocktail of stink, sweat and dirt and with enough bodies around to make a Tokyo subway at rush hour look like a Baghdad palace. I couldn’t leave the airport as the military had it sealed off from the riotors. It was all very scary really. Fortunately the flying kangaroo came to the rescue and got me to Melbourne. Not quite home but close enough to a shower and friends. The joys of travel.....

#168654 - Fri Apr 18 2003 10:46 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
wajo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tasmania Australia          
I once spent 8 hours at Kansai airport (Osaka) with my 2 kids when they were little - and there is literally nothing for children to do (except spend their parents' money at expensive cafes and boutiques of course!). Well, there's supposed to be a children's room after you've passed through immigration etc, but I've never found it and you can't go through immigration that early anyway! I spent most of the time stuffing the suggestion boxes with my thoughts on the matter!

#168655 - Fri Apr 18 2003 11:38 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
We had to stop for six hours in Abu Dhabi (hope I spelled that right) airport a couple of years ago while they fixed a technical problem with the lighting in the plane. Worst six hours of my life! I could hardly breathe. There is no such thing as a non-smoking area, so I spent the whole six hours trying to hang my head out of a window near the gate so I could breathe fresh air.

#168656 - Sat Apr 19 2003 08:14 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
x_Ashi_x Offline
Explorer

Loc: Saturn
Definitely anywhere around Cincinnati, Columbus or Cleveland, Ohio. (I'm from Ohio, in case you were wondering.) They have the worst traffic ever. There was this huge wreck down inbetween Dayton and Cincinnati when we going to visit some family, it took for ever to get out of that mess!

#168657 - Sat Apr 19 2003 08:17 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Maynooth Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Western Australia
Seems to me I remember something about being "stuck in Lodi again" with John Fogerty but that was in the sixties and all that was fuzzy.

Yep, the only good thing about Abu Dahbi (sic?) airport was the company I had at the open window. Apparently it's a good place to buy gold but when you're waiting for your plane to be ready to board you're not real keen to go shopping.

cheers
Maynooth

#168658 - Sat Apr 19 2003 08:28 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
Gilbralter....4 days of absolutely nothing to do except look at monkeys. Perhaps I was missing something though.

Also went to Martha's Vineyard and was thoroughly disappointed. Not bad places, I guess, just disappointing.

Edited by DieHard (Sat Apr 19 2003 08:30 AM)

#168659 - Tue Apr 22 2003 11:17 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
My middle school, in the middle of a tornado warning. The building had no basement, and lots of windows. Plus, we'd never had a tornado drill in that school. No one knew where to go and when we finally found that out we realized that we were packed in like sardines. It was almost the end of the day so parents who had been wating in the parking lot had come in to shelter with us. Some of them smoked. The wind was making a racket outside, it even blew open the foyer doors at one point, none of us knew what was going on and no one would tell us. We sat there for about half an hour before my friend who was sitting next to me couldn't stand the smoke anymore. She was wheezing so we decided to forget that our teacher had ordered us to stay put and we snuck into a nearby classroom which also served as a tornado shelter.
That place was just as packed as it had been outside, but at least no one was smoking.

Edited by Geek (Tue Apr 22 2003 11:19 PM)

#168660 - Wed Apr 23 2003 04:32 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
The local police lock-up,12 hours,the last 8 hours with a shocking hangover.I paid the $50 and promised to never drink again.[That lasted 1 week,but I never abused drivers that wouldn`t pick up a drunk hitchhiker again]

#168661 - Wed Apr 23 2003 08:28 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

Where was the worst place you have been holed up in, just for a short period of time?

In the hospital when i was being tested for epilepsy, diabetes,
and other things. Food was awful, tv reception almost non-existant. Blah.

#168662 - Sun Apr 27 2003 09:30 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
TemplarLLM Offline
Prolific

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bognor Regis

#168663 - Mon Apr 28 2003 01:33 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Several places in my travels are on that list.
the Taj Mahal, though I was really thrilled to be there, that morning after a several month trip around the entire world and living in some reasonably rough conditions, I gave up on sending the tea back with the milk in it..drank it...and then on the bus trip to Agra, was seized with those kind of stomach cramps where you're wondering what's going to happen first, a bit like a personal earthquake inside your body...I managed to wait until a reststop as they refused to stop the bus, then felt fine after a Coke..or a campa cola then...Ace will explain soon I hope.
Yet once at the Taj, though I had my papers and money in a waist pack, the pickpockets would come up about three inches away, and our guide told us that if we went into the mausoleum he wouldn't be responsible for us, nor if we missed the bus, we'd be on our own getting back to Delhi.
I remember swatting away pickpockets right and left...but to no avail...
Too bad...as it's one of the main attractions for Indians as well as foreigners.

However, later that week, the stomach upsets came back, and they lasted about two months...

Had this trouble on the Big Island of Hawaii, twice...though marvellous to see, I never get sick to my stomach and there, I was sick as a dog...both times!
They say it's because I picked up the sacred lava rocks in my sandals though...I'd never do it on purpose, I'm not stupid!
Some of our friends had Kahunas in to get rid of the curse..so hey, being sick like that definitely colours my memories.

I was also trapped in an airport with a newborn baby and a toddler and four hours on the runway...then we were thrown into the waiting room and our stuff was piled in a pile...this was New York I think...and had to sift through the things there...ended up getting the wrong childbed and at least the lady didn't yell at me...she was in the same boat..same brand of bed...then had to fight for coupons for the hotel...still with said newborn on shoulder...it was hell!
However, I learned some coping strategies..if your airline is in over their head...you look at the neighboring desk and their personnel is generally smirking...therefore you strike up a conversation...a newborn baby on your shoulder adds to the effect though...and you ask advice...I've had quite a few tips on getting out of jams.
I've even gotten other flights out.

#168664 - Mon Apr 28 2003 03:12 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

The local police lock-up,12 hours,the last 8 hours with a shocking hangover.I paid the $50 and promised to never drink again.[That lasted 1 week,but I never abused drivers that wouldn`t pick up a drunk hitchhiker again]

I wanna here the whole of THAT story!!

Leeds bus station was "fun" ... had to wait there four hours in the middle of the night and it was cold, no no no, you don't understand ... it was freezing ! Plus every derro in the area was there trying to bludge money/food/smokes or any combination of that list. Was a bit scary.

#168665 - Mon Apr 28 2003 02:42 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
I can honestly say I've never found anywhere that bad, and that includes Basingstoke Railway Station at 2am waiting for a 6am "Milk Train" (The Police got involved in that one as well Copago - Apparently Station Staff don't like being serenaded by Bugles playing whichever call we chose when they made an announcement (to the only people on the station - US!)
There isn't a worst place to get holed up in - You can always find something interesting to do or see wherever you are.

#168666 - Mon Apr 28 2003 04:00 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Basingstoke in Westphalia?? (Sorry, Monty Python line. Never thought I'd see the place mentioned again!)

#168667 - Mon Apr 28 2003 04:22 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
sue943 Offline

Administrator

No, Basingstoke in Hampshire, England - oh wow what a lively place that is! The whole of Basingstoke is grim, not just the station. The best one can say about Basingstoke is that they built a by-pass around it so you don't have to actually go there!

#168668 - Tue Apr 29 2003 04:28 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
I dream of living in a seaside town as nice as Bognor.

#168669 - Tue Apr 29 2003 04:55 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Tielhard, you mean that you don't like living in a seaside town like Blackpool? What puts you off, the lights, the funfair, the fish and chips or the kiss-me-quick hats?

#168670 - Tue May 06 2003 06:30 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

I've lived in Blackpool for three years now, I used to live on the fens. For the most part I really like it here; in the summer there are lots of families and couples about enjoying themselves and in the winter the sea hammers away at the prom which is quite beautiful.

However there are two things I cannot stand about the place; the first is the nearly incessant rain, it is far worse than Manchester. The other is the shoulder seasons (about six or seven months of the year). In the shoulder seasons there are a myriad of stag nights and hen parties in town. It gets a bit boring after a while. I have stepped round a different drunk in the same place 3 nights in a row and seen a different couple snogging and worse in the same doorway every Saturday night of the month. In the shoulder seasons I don't go to my local I find somewhere well out of town.

All I can say is the King who is credited with having said "Bu**er Bognor" on his death bed never had Blackpool in October to compare it with.

#168671 - Tue May 06 2003 09:18 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Wait a minute-- you're saying it RAINS in ENGLAND?

#168672 - Tue May 06 2003 10:35 AM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

No I am saying "It rains in in England except in Blackpool where the water table rises to meet the cloud base for nine months of the year."

#168673 - Wed May 07 2003 02:04 PM Re: Where was the worst place to get holed up in?
magpie8 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ottawa Canada           
HERE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  bloomsby