Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#171345 - Thu May 08 2003 02:47 PM Powder-puff Game Turned Brutal
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
Some juniors of Chicago’s Glenfield High School were kicked, punched, and strangled while reportedly also having been pelted with buckets, fish and pig innards, urine, and feces. Some say they were also forced to eat mud.

This happened Sunday at the hands of some seniors from their school.

The underclassmen expected some hazing at the powder-puff football game they were attending but they weren’t anticipating seniors to show up with baseball bats and paint guns.

It is a case of “fun hazing,” which was supposed to include condiments being smeared in peoples’ hair, turning into what an attorney representing some of the students has called a lynching.

Some of the juniors wound up at the hospital after the ritual.

The students’ school didn’t sponsor the event however the attorney of two of the juniors doesn’t look at that has meaning the school bears no responsibility for what happened.

More here

#171346 - Thu May 08 2003 03:35 PM Re: Powder-puff Game Turned Brutal
ericaC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota / Iowa USA
Ick. That's why serious hazing is such a nasty thing to do to someone.

#171347 - Fri May 09 2003 11:58 AM Fun & games until someone's whacked with a pail
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
I can't say for sure but watching a piece of the video shown on the news, one of the juniors seems to lift one of her arms in a cheer-like position just before being smacked in the back of the head by what some are saying was a pig's intestine.

How long did it take until everyone realized it was going too far?

I haven't seen the full video but from what I have seen, I think it is odd that the juniors didn't seem to be fighting back at all.

I can't see the point of that type of hazing.

Then again, I really don't see the point of the so-called fun hazing they were anticipating, either.

#171348 - Fri May 16 2003 06:33 PM Re: Fun & games until someone's whacked with a pail
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Well, they are now going to bring criminal charges against some of the students involved--and possibly some of the adults who may have supplied alcohol to the students:

Students facing misdemeanor charges in hazing incident

SKOKIE, Illinois (CNN) --Prosecutors said Friday they are pressing charges against 15 Chicago-area high school students who were involved in a videotaped hazing incident that turned violent earlier this month.

Twelve teen girls and three teen boys will be charged with misdemeanor battery, which is punishable by up to 364 days in jail, said Cook County State's Attorney Dick Devine.

Other punishments could include probation, supervision and a $2,000 fine. A judge will determine the sentences upon conviction, according to Devine.

All 15 teenagers are expected to turn themselves in Skokie, beginning Friday afternoon, Devine said. They will be given the opportunity to post bond, which will be $1,000 each.

The suspects were notified of the charges Thursday night, according to Devine.

The students' next court date is scheduled for June 11.

"During the outburst, six junior girls were injured in a high school rite of passage gone bad," Devine said. "One victim had 10 stitches in her head. There are possible concussions. And it simply is the kind of behavior that any community cannot tolerate and will not tolerate."

The charges were based on a combination of information from witnesses and images captured on videotape, he said.

"There could be more charges if information comes forward that shows that other individuals were attacking victims," Devine said.

He said that officials have decided not to press hazing charges so far because the law defines hazing as something that occurs when individuals are trying to get into a group and that didn't appear to be the case here.

The "powder puff" football game before the event turned violent is traditionally an initiation of junior girls into the senior class, but it is not something students have to go through to gain entry.

"If we have further information in our investigation that supports it, we have no reservation about bringing that or any other charge supported by the evidence," he said.

Information sought about alcohol
Investigators are trying to determine who provided the beer that teens are seen drinking on the video.

Devine said that those adults who purchased and provided alcohol to the teens could face misdemeanor charges.

"It is also necessary that residents and citizens come forward to provide information about who is responsible for providing the alcohol in this case," Devine said.

"This is a very critical part of what happened, and it is up to the community to decide whether it is going to cooperate with law enforcement officials to resolve this most important issue," he said.

Officials at Glenbrook North High School in Northbrook this week suspended 32 students for their roles in the event and announced plans to expel them. Several students have filed lawsuits over the district's actions.

Videos of the May 4 incident show teens hitting younger classmates and showering them with mud, feces and garbage.
http://cnn.com

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

I think criminal charges are appropriate--and may help to curb future incidents like this one.

What I cannot understand is why the Juniors would want to subject themselves to any form of hazing--even if it hadn't gone this far. It was not something they had to do.

#171349 - Mon May 19 2003 10:50 PM Re: Fun & games until someone's whacked with a pail
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
I can't understand the people who say that to bring criminal charges agianst these students is going too far.
Yes, these students could have a blot on their permanant records for the rest of their lives and yes they will probably miss out on some once in a life time opportunites like senior prom and graduation. Still, they should have know that what they were doing was wrong. They decided to take a chance and now they are paying for it.

#171350 - Sat May 31 2003 06:12 AM Re: Powder-puff Game Turned Brutal
SmartiePants Offline
Participant

I think that the main people who were "hazing" should get in big trouble. I heard on Oprah the other day that they had done this in past years at this school, so I was wondering why the girls would go. Were they forced? I think that is very irresponsible how the school is saying that they didn't have anything to do with it because it wasn't on school grounds. The powder-puff team would be playing for the school, so they should take responsibilty for their actions.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943