Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173461 - Sun May 25 2003 02:14 AM Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
May 25 2003

Governor-General Peter Hollingworth has told Prime Minister John Howard he wants to resign.

In a statement, Dr Hollingworth said it was with deep regret and after much thought that he had told the prime minister he would have to step down.

"I have asked him to put the necessary arrangements in place to advise Her Majesty, the Queen," he said in a statement. "Despite the misplaced and unwarranted allegations made against me as governor-general, it is clear that continuing public controversy has the potential to undermine and diminish my capacity to uphold the importance, dignity and integrity of this high office that I have been privileged and proud to occupy."

Dr Hollingworth said he could not allow the controversy surrounding the governor-general's position to continue.

"I have asked the prime minister to call on me tomorrow so that we might discuss transitional arrangements," he said.

"I proposed to make a more detailed statement to the Australian people later this week."

- AAP

from The Age

About time?

#173462 - Sun May 25 2003 03:11 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Well and truly Copago.

He should never have been appointed to the position and when all the allegations etc. surfaced he should have resigned on the spot.

Although this article is over twelve months old it does provide some information about the circumstances in the lead up to his resignation. Lateline Program

I am not necessarily in favour of the position of G-G however I do believe that the appointee should have an unblemished moral character.

#173463 - Sun May 25 2003 03:23 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

Quote:

He should never have been appointed to the position

Without getting into a religous debate, I agree wholeheartedly.

As for the latest scandal, well, I did feel just a teeny bit sorry for him in that one but the first one should have had him out on his ear.

Has the PM the ultimate power to fire him or is it a case of him telling the Queen to do it? (I realize that the Queen wouldn't step in but who can fire the GG?)

#173464 - Sun May 25 2003 04:12 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
This is all new to me, we just got home from the flicks (Reloaded) .. and bloody good news to boot. This should have been finsihed a long time ago, by the bloke who recommended his appointment.

The PM and only the PM has the power to advise the Queen of the United Kingdom, aka the Queen of Australia, to teminate his appointment as her representative. She would comply, as she acts only on the advise of her Prime Minister(s) .. unlike someone in 1975. However, our mate Johnny sat on his behind and left him out to dry. How convenient he was at the SCG this afternoon; the whole thing was probably stage managed, as usual.

#173465 - Sun May 25 2003 08:36 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Couldn't they just demote him to Governor-Private?

#173466 - Sun May 25 2003 12:51 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
It is the question of what he did with his 'privates' that started the sorry affair in the first place

#173467 - Sun May 25 2003 02:44 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
If that's the case Tielhard, then what's the problem - is this another case of the media finding a story they thought would fill a couple of lines of type or a few minutes of air time. Politicians private lives have, to me, less interest than the chap across the street taking his dog for a walk. Providing they are doing the professional job satisfactorily then what they do out of hours is of no concern of mine.
I do see the concerns and disapproval of non-elected posts in the Colony's( ) I too am not in favour of QUANGO's or (unlimited) Honorary Positions.

Edited by Fosse4 (Sun May 25 2003 02:51 PM)

#173468 - Sun May 25 2003 03:37 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

Quote:

Providing they are doing the professional job satisfactorily then what they do out of hours is of no concern of mine.

I'd love to agree with you , John, but this involved the abuse of children. Please note that he was never even accused of child abuse personally but in his role of Arch Bishop of Brisbane he let another priest keep on working with children when he knew this man was sexually abusing kids. (and what is a QUANGO? )

Gt? here's a thought for you ... How about Gough Whitlam as the next GG?

#173469 - Sun May 25 2003 04:21 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
"He wasn't accused" - We have a similar situation in the UK - an Arch Bishop who reputedly ignored reports about priests.
I'm pretty sure that neither of them ever got to hear the actual facts (if they ever got to hear the story in the first place).
Abuse by priests/vicars isn't a new thing it's been going on for centuries- and it's always been covered up to protect the church (whichever Church/Mosque/Temple etc it is!)
I don't condone in any way shape or form the abuse of children (or adults) but I do think that people should be accorded the right of a fair trial.

#173470 - Sun May 25 2003 04:33 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

There was no need for a trial as what Hollingsworth did wasn't illegal. Immoral - yes, illegal - no. He admitted turning a blind eye to it. NEVER has it been suggested that he laid one finger on a child inappropriatley just that he knew it was happening. I don't know about he knowing the full story but I think he knew enough.

#173471 - Sun May 25 2003 05:25 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here but why in god's name does Australia NEED a governor-general?

#173472 - Sun May 25 2003 05:49 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

We need a Govenor General because he ... no wait, let me think about this. He does ... mmm, nope that won't work. He is the .... nah, scrap that.

It is a purly ceremonial position nowadays, he is the Queen's, as our head of state, representative but in no way would the Queen or the GG ever think about stepping in on policies or the working of the country. He just gets to waltz around and open new hospitals and talk at CWA meetings all for six thousand dollars a week. Be a tough job, huh?

#173473 - Sun May 25 2003 07:53 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Don't ex-Governors-General get to drink themselves silly and present Melbourne Cup winners with the trophy?

Jill, a QUANGO is an acronym for 'Quasi-Autonomous Non Government Organisation'- basically a useless department that has to spend most if it's time (and our money) trying to justify their existence.

And I agree with the sentiment of 'Who needs a G-G anyway?'. The word 'anachronism' springs to mind. How about some of the other quaint and totally useless official positions that we have, like Usher of the Black Rod, Serjeant-at-Arms, ASIO, etc?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#173474 - Sun May 25 2003 08:04 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
'Usher of the Black Rod?' Lololol.. what on earth is that?

#173475 - Sun May 25 2003 08:09 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ozzz2002 Offline

Bertho, he is the guy that bangs the Black Rod on the doors to the Lower House (I think), when a new government comes to power. I am not sure what it is all about, but he probably gets 100 grand a year for doing five minutes work every four years or so..

#173476 - Sun May 25 2003 08:10 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Governor Generals, eh??

We kicked ours about 55 years ago.

Which age are you Aussies living in? (B/w Who pays your G-boy 6 grand a week?)
Can't be the Britishers, for all I know!

#173477 - Sun May 25 2003 08:34 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ozzz2002 Offline

Ace, we should have followed suit and dumped the position too. The Republicans have been trying to do just that for ages and we have had a couple of referendums on the issue. The only reasons they were defeated was that the referendum questions were very 'loaded', and would only have given more power to the political party in office.

As to who pays? I will give you ONE guess... and it is NOT the Brits!

#173478 - Sun May 25 2003 09:09 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Hollingworth as an Archbishop no less, did not take any action against the vicar/priest concerned and virtually turned a blind eye to the situation. Simple as that.

To me, that is virtually tantamount to endorsing the activities that took place. Why didn't he take any action? Did he think it wasn't important enough to protect children from abuse?

I'm sorry but this whole thing gets on my goat.

Please don't get me started on this one because I will start making statements that won't make sense or run together.

#173479 - Sun May 25 2003 11:40 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Quote:

As to who pays? I will give you ONE guess... and it is NOT the Brits!

Don't tell me it's the KIWIS !!!

#173480 - Sun May 25 2003 11:57 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

And now that he has left, Ace, he'll get over $160, 000 a year FOR LIFE just for giving us the pleasure of his company this last year or so.

And I'm sick of a few people (PM, other ministers, one child abuse organization) saying that we should be THANKING the ex - GG for respecting the office and the people of Australia by leaving. Geez.

Okay, so who should the new GG be? A few names were bandied about on the radio ... Dick Smith, Ernie Dingo (umm, don't like your chances) and Angry Anderson (even less of a chance than Ernie) to name a few.

Any suggestions?

#173481 - Mon May 26 2003 12:04 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ozzz2002 Offline

Isn't Dick Smith a staunch Republican? That could create a few 'interesting' situations!
Ernie Dingo and Angry Anderson? I think someone is pulling your leg, Jillian! How about Kim Beazley- he is doing very little at the moment.. or maybe Pauline Hanson?

I am just wondering if we will get to pay yet another tax- the GG send-off tariff.

#173482 - Mon May 26 2003 12:19 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

The thing is that the people who suggested Ernie and Angry weren't kidding ... this was ABC radio afterall

#173483 - Mon May 26 2003 12:57 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
Could be this bloke... from all reports a decent chap, yet a Tasmanian with 'Green' as a surname is rather ummmm..

Sir Guy Green

#173484 - Mon May 26 2003 01:39 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Johnny's still got the whatsies over Sir William Deane, a thorough gentleman, opening the Olympics as the rep of the Queen of the UK, aka as the Queen of Australia. He made sure he was there, and visible, behind Sir William - couldn't miss another photo opportunity to remind us who was PM. I doubt he'll appoint Sir Guy Green, he's too well liked and respected in Tasmania (as described by the Premier of Tasmania during an interview on the John Laws show the other week). He might pull another rabbit out of the hat by appointing Peter Cosgrove .. and surpise us all.
I doubt it .. and won't hold my breath waiting

#173485 - Mon May 26 2003 01:59 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
To mis-quote an ex-PM".Well might he say say God save the Queen because nothing will save the ex-Governer-General."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943