Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#173486 - Mon May 26 2003 02:05 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
LOL, roos! Very apt.

Peter Cosgrove would be the pick of the names I have heard so far (which is not saying much). Have we had a GG with a military background?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#173487 - Mon May 26 2003 02:11 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
$160, 000 - by Jove!

(Could I apply for this post.....??)

It meets my requirement for a Job (In fact the only one which does so)
!) Sleep for 16 hours a day + eating/drinking allowance!

Our president (Ceremonial) gets Rs 20,000 ($400) a month! and he is the highest paid of all politicians!

#173488 - Mon May 26 2003 02:14 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Without even a background check on him Cosgrove gets my vote.A gentleman that eminates strength and dignity from every pore.No chance that this bloke would be found hiding under the bed if the going got rough.

#173489 - Mon May 26 2003 03:33 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
I agree. You Aussies need a Gee-Gee like a hole in the head but if you let your politicos give you such a loaded referendum on a Republic what do you expect?

However, I, Tielhard have the perfect solution to your problem. Why don't you get rid of the Gee-Gee and have the actual Queen of Australia instead? If you lot don't want to be a Republic then this is the alternative for you! We the people of the newly proclaimed United Commonwealth of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will pack Lizzy, Phil el Greco, Big Ears, Horse chops and all the rest of the brood in a large container, tape it up in a big pink ribbon and air freight it off to Oz tooty sweety. We will do this all for free gratis. We will even throw in a black rod, a couple of dozen foot persons and two gross Blue and Royals complete with horses and the little animals that live on their heads. All we want is your solemn promise you will never, ever let the bludgers back here again. Think of the potential you can subcontract some of them to the Kiwis and the tour revenues from trips to Canada will be simply huge. You can even marry them off for political advantage I’m sure the Sultan of Brunei has a female relative that would be willing to shack up with Wills.

#173490 - Mon May 26 2003 03:41 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns

Tielhard, and what would you want in return for your extremely generous gift? Our weather, our wide open spaces, or our cricket team? How about Tasmania?

#173491 - Mon May 26 2003 06:17 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
Quote:

Why don't you get rid of the Gee-Gee and have the actual Queen of Australia instead?

Got plenty mate. Brunswick St in Brisbane, Oxford in Sydney etc etc.... not that there's anything wrong with that

I don't know about Cosgrove. Certainly he's a fine bloke and has a brain in his head but I'd never heard of him until East Timor and that wasn't exactly a tough assignment. I haven't seen much from him except being a figurehead on a podium. I think I'm leaning more towards Dame Edna, she's Aussie royalty already!

#173492 - Mon May 26 2003 01:54 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Bertho - Howsabout Dame Edna Everidge for Queen and Sir Les Patterson for Governor General (it would at least halve the pay check!)

#173493 - Mon May 26 2003 02:22 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
Lol, I think you're on to something there Fosse. I couldn't think of anyone more suited to the role actually. It would certainly make the news more entertaining

#173494 - Tue May 27 2003 02:54 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Quote:

We the people of the newly proclaimed United Commonwealth of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will pack Lizzy, Phil el Greco, Big Ears, Horse chops and all the rest of the brood in a large container, tape it up in a big pink ribbon and air freight it off to Oz

Methinks that this is payback for Kylie and Rolf 'tie me kangaroo down sport'Harris. Sir Les Patterson was found outside the GGs` residence early yesterday,his picture appeared in the Mirror today,he was that keen for the position he arrived with his bag already packed!

#173495 - Tue May 27 2003 02:14 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Was that ESP or inside info - Roos?

Sorry Copago - didn't mean to demean the thread, I totally agree that anyone who condones the abuse of children (or any other person regardless of their age) should not be in any position of priveledge or power. The resignation after admitting the knowledge of the offences but saying nothing about them is indefensible.

Edited by Fosse4 (Tue May 27 2003 02:18 PM)

#173496 - Tue May 27 2003 02:25 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
The Governor General would be the same as our Lieutenant Governor. Until the current one the post was awarded to a distinguished high-ranking serviceman, general, admiral etc before they finally went out to grass but this time they actually advertised the post in the national newspapers - we ended up with another military man anyway. How do they decide on who to give the GG post to? Is the position awarded or is it advertised and applied for?

#173497 - Tue May 27 2003 02:47 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Technically the Queen appoints them but, recently and particularly, after the 'dismissal' of Gough Whitlam way back when it is the Prime Minister who chooses and recommends them to the Queen.

#173498 - Tue May 27 2003 03:00 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Yes I know the Queen finally 'appoints' them but I wondered it was advertised like any other job (such as ours is now) or if it is a form of reward such as ours was until recently. Our L-G fulfills the same role as your G-G, Queen's representative, meets visiting dignatories etc but no teeth, lives in a big tied-cottage (Government House) and hosts the annual drinks party for the Queen's birthday, has no number plate on his official car. His gardener always wins lots of prizes in the horticultural show!

#173499 - Tue May 27 2003 03:56 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
LOL!
Nope, it's not advertised at all, it's just the PM's pick. "Geez, that Peter Hollingsworth's a nice bloke, I think I might put him in as GG and see how he goes!" "Background checks? What for?"

In the last few days there are calls for it to be an elected position (will never happen) or at least a two thirds of the government to approve the decision.

#173500 - Wed May 28 2003 02:30 AM Re: Governor-General Resigns
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Wishful thinking and a great sense of ineviatability Fosse.

#173501 - Sat Jun 07 2003 04:02 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel

#173502 - Sat Jun 07 2003 06:35 PM Re: Governor-General Resigns

That is funny, snm!

There is one slight problem, though- we would not be able to understand him...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943