Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#174958 - Thu May 29 2003 02:37 PM Is Tyson for Real?
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
In his latest interview, Mike Tyson denied committed the rape of Desiree Washington that he served time for in prison back in the 1990's.

He then goes on to say, "She's a lying, monstrous young lady--I just hate her guts...She puts me in that state where I don't know...but now I really do want to rape her and her (expletive) mama."

A great way to show he's the victim, huh?

Source

#174959 - Thu May 29 2003 03:06 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Yuck.

#174960 - Thu May 29 2003 03:09 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
That man is truly disgusting.

#174961 - Thu May 29 2003 04:17 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
I wonder at the Authorities that still give him a boxing licence (just how much money are they being paid TO DO IT?) The man should be under constant health care - in a secure mental health hospital!

#174962 - Thu May 29 2003 04:30 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
Tyson is a very upleasant man and dangerous man who seems to have brought into his own myth. I agree he should be under mental health care but at the back of my mind I have always been uncomfortable about the rape conviction.

#174963 - Thu May 29 2003 07:36 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Wasn't this the first rape charge against him (& convicted)?

I mean the guy losts a significant part of his fighting life to kicking bars, so what behaviour is one expecting?

Supposing he was innocent, this behaviour of his is totally understandable (maybe NOT acceptable)

As I always say (and still maintain), the question is WHY' and not 'what', 'when', 'who' or 'where'.

#174964 - Thu May 29 2003 08:23 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
In my opinion, Tyson believes he's the greatest professional boxer ever to walk the Earth, and because he feels this way, he believes he can do what he wants, when he wants.

I whole heartedly believe the rape conviction. He probably said to himself "who wouldn't want me?" and just took what he wanted, when he wanted it.

Tyson belongs in a maximum security prison where he could never hurt anyone again. He's an extremely dangerous man, and not just because he's a boxer.

#174965 - Thu May 29 2003 08:35 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
Lanni Offline
Prolific

I can't say I whole-heartedly believe one way or the other.

While I wouldn't start screaming Tyson is innocent of raping Washington, I feel that there is that possibility that he is and if that is so, that would make some of his behavior understandable, but not particularly saying that he wants to rape anyone, regardless.

#174966 - Thu May 29 2003 11:35 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Isn't it hard to take the man seriously with a voice like that?

#174967 - Fri May 30 2003 04:35 AM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
As bad as Tyson is... he is a product of society. Everyone made this person feel so very important as they do with all celebrities. However, Tyson is a loose cannon and dangerous but no one cared about that when he was filling their pockets with $$$$. I do not know how many of you know this but Mike Tyson has both extreme cases of manic depression and OCD. All you ever see of him is his inane comments in the news and he looks like a wild beast that should be caged. However, this is not because he thinks he is the greatest. It is because he is a wounded animal that has no idea what to say or how to interact with people except violently.
Unfortunately, for Mike, things have gotten to the point where he is a danger to himself and others. The Media will keep promoting him though... and people keep turning out to watch.
Now, I think that is sad! Many people will pay $45.99 to watch a convicted rapist box. We created this monster... if we want him to stop, then we need to assist.
Mike

#174968 - Fri May 30 2003 09:25 AM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
rootsgrrl Offline
Explorer

Loc: New York City New York USA   

How do we assist? Do we force his meds down his throat?

Do we get Lennox Lewis to kick the hell out of him again?

#174969 - Fri May 30 2003 12:31 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
hegley Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Quote:

How do we assist?

Stop encouraging the media circus that follows his every move? If we weren't so fascinated with reading about him, they'd certainly stop writing about him.

Stop paying to see him fight? You could probably charge a higher ticket price for a Tyson match than any other (against anyone) because as well as the genuine boxing fans ( ), there's a whole bunch of people that would want to see him go bananas and bite someone's ear off .... at our basest level, we, the public, are a pretty grim bunch really, don'tcha think?

#174970 - Fri May 30 2003 01:42 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
magpie8 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ottawa Canada           
Personally, I find the so-called 'sport' of boxing an atavistic and dehumanizing demonstration of naked brutality and bloodlust. Before placing the entire blame on fighters who profit from it, I think many should search themselves for the reason they desire to see it. Plain and simple--Mike Tyson would have neither fame nor fortune were people not so eager to witness and fund his shocking behaviour. We may look back smugly at those Romans who relished gladiatorial bloodshed, but the only main differences I see between that 'entertainment' and today's version are slavery and death. How long before Tyson puts the latter piece in place, should he be allowed to continue fighting?

That said, I think Tyson is more animal than man, an out-of-control freak who should be permanently medicated or placed out of society's reach. Instead of trying to make this argument, I'll let his history (which started with a purse-snatching arrest at 12, early assault allegations and high school expulsion) speak for itself:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Fame and fortune had smiled on the young man, but controversy was not far behind, with an out-of-court settlement following a charge of assault.

It was alleged that he hit a parking attendant, a man said he had tried to intervene when Tyson attempted to kiss a woman employee.

The law proved, at this stage, a minor hiccup as Tyson unified the world heavyweight title that same year, before marriage to actress Robin Givens.

It was not a happy union, with Ms Givens and her family accusing Tyson of violence within months.

Within a year the 1988 marriage was over, while Tyson's reputation was not helped by him breaking his right hand in a street brawl with former opponent Mitch Green.

There was also a car crash in which the boxer was knocked unconscious, amid dark rumours of an attempted suicide caused by a chemical imbalance that made him violent and irrational.

There was more trouble - another assault charge and a speeding offence - before Tyson's professional life finally hit a setback.

In 1990, James "Buster" Douglas took Tyson's world titles with a shock win.

The same year saw the a former aide of Robin Givens suing him successfully for sexual assault and harassment.

But Tyson's darkest hour came in 1991, when Desiree Washington, a 18-year-old Miss Black America contestant, accused him of raping her.

In 1992 he was convicted on rape and other charges, and jailed for six years.

While in jail, Tyson reportedly read philosophy and also studied Islam.

It was unclear whether he had actually converted to the religion, although members of the Nation of Islam - and boxing promoter Don King - were present as he emerged a free man in 1995.

It was suggested that after jail Tyson was a much calmer character, apperaently without damage to his talent as the WBA and WBC titles were swiftly regained.

The WBC version was dropped in an attempt to avoid Lennox Lewis, while Evander Holyfield took the WBA belt in a 1996 bout.

But this was nothing compared with what happened in the 1997 rematch between the two, an event which has gone down as one of sport's ugliest moments.

Tyson was disqualified, fined $3m and lost his licence for biting his opponent's ear.

It seemed that reports of the new Tyson were misplaced, and the world of boxing viewed him again as a volatile and dangerous character.

It took Tyson a year-and-a-half to convince the authorities to let him fight again, but by then the fighter was in more trouble.

In August 1998 two motorists claimed he had assaulted them after a traffic accident in Maryland, and February 1999 saw Tyson back in jail.

This time the reports from the prison were not of Tyson reading quietly in his room, but of throwing a television across a prison room.

That action earnt Tyson 25 days in solitary confinement, before his release in May last year."

--From BBC News/Sport (www.bbc.co.uk)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyson's latest words come as no surprise to me, sadly.

#174971 - Fri May 30 2003 03:38 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Sorry Magpie, but boxing in it's truest form (amateur) is not sadistic and is certainly less injury inducing than Judo. It teaches youths control of the agression (a blind rage will allow your opponent to avoid your wild swings and score off you at will) the officials in the fight will stop it if they consider the contest to be un-contested. I'm defending the sport but I still can't defend Mike Tyson - The Rape Charge didn't ring true at the time but given the statements made since the case my feelings are that he probably would have raped her if she had said no! he would have thought she was playing with him and wanted that scenario. He lives in his own fantasy world created by and encouraged by his media advisors.

#174972 - Fri May 30 2003 04:22 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
magpie8 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

Sorry Magpie, but boxing in it's truest form (amateur) is not sadistic and is certainly less injury inducing than Judo

Boxing in its truest form is still two people pummeling each other about the head and body--an idea I personally find distasteful and pointless.

Quote:

It teaches youths control of the agression

I think if youths need to participate in such an activity to help control their agression, we should be trying to address its source, and not encouraging its manifestation--even in a controlled forum.

Quote:

the officials in the fight will stop it if they consider the contest to be un-contested.

In other words, they will come to the rescue of a boxer who has already sustained disproportionate injury, compared to his/her opponent.

Quote:

The Rape Charge didn't ring true at the time

It rang true enough for a jury of his peers. However, there is a chance they could have been mistaken. Lord knows juries have miscarried justice in cases involving celebrities before. I certainly don't quarrel with your right to a personal opinion about his guilt.

Again, all this aside, I wasn't really addressing amateur boxing, but professional boxing and the unacceptable behaviour it fosters and sometimes creates. Professional sport of many kinds seems to be encouraging violent activity--or at the very least looking the other way when its stars partake in it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on some of these points.

#174973 - Fri May 30 2003 04:34 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Quote:

It rang true enough for a jury of his peers.

At least two members of the jury are questioning what happened during that trial.

They spoke on the same special this snippet from the interview is from.

#174974 - Fri May 30 2003 04:48 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
magpie8 Offline
Mainstay

As suggested by my post above, I certainly don't dispute that juries are capable of making mistakes or that individual members may later rethink their decisions. This is really a side issue, so I'm sorry for addressing it.

#174975 - Fri May 30 2003 04:53 PM Re: Is Tyson for Real?
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
No... What I meant by "assist" is not exactly with Mike Tyson. However, our society will continue to churn out "Mike Tyson’s" until we stop swarming them with fame and power.
To assist, when the media or corporations are promoting a person or some other product, do a little research on it before "buying into it". When some people watch "Behind the Music" on VH1, they are surprised to see how rough these supposed "perfect" people had it. However, if you watch many of them, the stories are very similar. This is because fame is fleeting and once people lose it, they will achieve anything to get it back. Mike Tyson, was an extremely high risk to both himself and others (as we have learned), before his name even hit boxing cards. However, there are plenty of "wrong people" to take advice from and he found them. His "VH1 Behind the Boxing" would be like watching “Friday the 13th Part 200: Jason is eaten by Tyson.” However, this is what sells. Even Mike Tyson knows that (on some level). There is only one way for him to stay in the news now. He is accomplishing that. It may be too late to "assist" Mike Tyson, but we can prevent future ones. Our whole society loves shock value... whatever happened to "values, as in ethical ones"?

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943