Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#174993 - Thu May 29 2003 11:50 PM Mad-cow Disease in Canada
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Read in an agriculture newspaper here about a case of mad cow disease being found in Canada. It was only early on so I haven't heard if there were more cases but I'm wondering what the reaction has been in Canada.

If you're Canadian are you wary about eating beef? Stopped eating it all together? Is the media going into a bit of a frenzy?

#174994 - Fri May 30 2003 01:18 AM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
Well as it was only one cow from one farm we here in the Great White North aren't about to panic!
I haven't given up beef nor have any of my friends that I know of. It's been pretty low profile so far in the media.
The SARS has been the widest reported!
I think it was just a one off case and we won't have to worry!
PF

#174995 - Fri May 30 2003 03:50 AM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
The only mad cow I know in Canada lives in New Westminster. She barbecues squirrels on her balcony, Jill , so she won't worry about the scare.

#174996 - Fri May 30 2003 04:00 AM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
Copago Offline

LOL! Does she happen to wear purple a lot?

#174997 - Fri May 30 2003 04:34 AM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
BBQ Squirrel is mighty tasty! I will dry smoke some for you both and send it to you!
Meanwhile I shall grab my Mad Cow steak ,head out into the back yard with the West Nile Virus Mosquitoes,and the SARS and wait for the Big Earthquake to hit!
PF

#174998 - Fri May 30 2003 05:22 AM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Hmm. How shall I put this?

Before displaying symptoms of the disease, were any of these quadruped ruminants noted for parsimony?

We've got some tightwad cows down here in the States, and I want to be able to go to Peter Luger's and chow down on a steak without worrying.

#174999 - Fri May 30 2003 09:15 AM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
Qwiz Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canada
Who made that cow mad? I thought they were all easy-going peaceful creatures.
To test the cow they must kill it first. I think this is overkill.
What would happen if they just did a lobotomy on the suspected cow? How much damage can it do? Will the cow not be as smart as the others in the heard? Will they forget how to make milk?

The Mad Cow thing is a little unsettling to say the least.
This is just a guess, but how does one cow get it? This is what I think happened.
In the process of making dog food, pig feed or chicken feed, I wonder if the employee cleaned the processor before the next batch. I could see the first couple of bags of Cow Feed being contaminated.
They are all praising that the cow did not go into the cow food chain and that the system worked.
I am not yet convinced. No doubt this out-brake could have been much worse. I think now that I know a little more about it I think we got lucky on this one but time will tell.
When you start to get all the facts it becomes a little less scary. But the facts are not all in yet. This is Mad Cow which can be bad enough but not the real bad one which is Hoof & Mouth. People or cows need to eat Mad Cow to get it, but Hoof & Mouth can spread to cows and large animals like deer & moose.
The system is fool proof until you hire a fool.

#175000 - Fri May 30 2003 03:40 PM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'm from a rural area in Alberta, and believe me, around here this is NOT considered to be no big deal! There have been lots of people layed off (lain off?) from their jobs already, as the impact is felt from the closing of the US border. If this turns out to be an isolated case, I think it will have been a good thing, given us the kick in the butt we need to take serious precautions If there proves to be more to it than one cow, and the border stays closed for a long time, the impact on the Alberta economy will be enormous. The sad thing is, this year was starting to look good. We have been in a serious drought situation here for several years, last year many people had to sell off herds that had been decades in the building, because of the lack of pasture. This year, there was snow in the winter, and some spring rain, and ranchers were starting to feel a little bit of hope. That hope has been completely dashed, now. Even if the border opens tomorrow, the business already lost, and the lost confidence worldwide in Alberta beef, will be enough to finish off small operations that were badly hit by drought. A bad situation all around. It is helpful to know, if you are afraid of eating beef, that the risk of getting the human form of BSE is very small from eating the young beef, which is what you would be buying. The cow that was sick was eight years old, and did not go into the food chain. An eight year old animal would not go for human consumption anyway, so, until we know more, I think we can conclude that humans are safe. The problem is more the integrity of the herd. I'm glad that people are interested, as, as I say, this is an extremely important matter out here.

#175001 - Fri May 30 2003 04:29 PM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
Copago Offline

That's really interesting, Agony. The reason I asked about the media was because in the article I read it said that if the media took it off the front pages within a day or so then they weren't expecting many repercussions from the consumer but if they kept up with it for longer then it would do much more damage. The other concern was how quickly the U.S. would open up the borders again and with the U.S. importing over one million live cattle and 500,000 tonnes of beef a year I can imagine that would be a huge impact on the Canadian beef industy.

I think that BSE can be caught naturally, it's very rare but hopefully it's just a one off case.

#175002 - Fri May 30 2003 11:18 PM Re: Mad-cow Disease in Canada
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
This is what we're all hoping, that it is just a one-off. There was another, in 1993 I think, that led nowhere. If nothing else, this will encourage us to take more seriously our inspection procedures, etc. I think North Americans have for too long had an attitude of "it can't happen here", about many things, and we tend to become complacent.

Moderator:  bloomsby