Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#177084 - Sun Jun 08 2003 01:08 PM New York City Draft Riots
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
I posted a comment in the Books forum regarding a historical novel that I just completed. It is "Paradise Alley" by Kevin Baker and deals with the Civil War draft riots of 1963. This book still haunts me and only once before has this man been brought to tears by a book. It is a part of American History that I didn't know existed and a very ugly chapter in our past.
I thought those from NY might be particulary interested in the subject if you are not familiar with it. For those interested, I have placed a couple of links below that deal with the issue. For those who have the time, I would highly recommend the book. Every event of the riots related in the book have come from historical or eye-witness accounts including the lynching of poor Abraham Franklin, the burning of the Colored Orphan's Asylum, the account of the animalistic murder of Colonel O'Brien down to the store owner and yound lady that tried to intervene only to feel the wrath of the mob themselves. Main characters such a Maddy, the prostitute, and Ruth, married to a black man, are based on real people and much of what is related regarding them is based on true events.
link one
link two
link three
And there are many more interesting links to this event but I don't want to bore you with the list. It is an astonishing book and a painful part of our history.

That's 1863 not 1963. Thanks Vikan for pointing out the typo.

#177085 - Mon Jun 09 2003 06:59 PM Re: New York City Draft Riots
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
I know I have heard about the draft riots before, but I really didn’t understand how much violence was involved. Thanks for the input, I will not say I enjoyed it, it was very disturbing, but I learned a great deal.

#177086 - Mon Jun 09 2003 07:09 PM Re: New York City Draft Riots
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
I know.

I learned about it in school and my brother told me a little more about it some time ago, but I honestly didn't know THAT much violence was involved until now.

#177087 - Mon Jun 09 2003 08:14 PM Re: New York City Draft Riots
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
I don't normally go on and on about a book but this one is well worth the time to read. It will reach to your core and stay with you. I finished the book over a week ago, am reading another book, and I just can't shake it.

Moderator:  bloomsby