Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#179995 - Thu Jun 19 2003 06:11 PM Weather Where You Live
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
I live in Florida, where it is pretty hot most of the year and downright humid and sticky in the summer. I get chilly when it drops to the sub-human temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit .
However, I am from New York and went to school in Albany, where if it got above zero degrees Fahrenheit, people would run nude through the streets. I also handle auto claims in the Washington D.C. area and keep in touch with many of of my friends in New York and have noticed a disturbing trend. It seems as if our seasons are gone. There are only extremes. The past few years, it was really cold and then really hot. This year, the winter was brutal and then it rained every day once it warmed up a bit. I guess this has to do with global warming.
What is the weather like wherever you live since I know FT is global. Does anyone agree?

#179996 - Thu Jun 19 2003 07:42 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
achernar Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India                  
I live in Mumbai (formerly called Bombay), India, which is on the western coast of India, which you might have realized from my avatar. This is among the best places in the country to live in when it comes to the weather, it never gets too hot or too cold. The highest yearly temperature usually recorded is around 35 degrees Celsius, which is in May, and the lowest is around 20 degrees. This would be considered really great weather in India, in places like New Delhi, the temperature varies from 45 degrees to 10 degrees, both of which the average Indian doesn't find very pleasant. Here the climate is also rather sultry, which isn't good for most sweaty people, and also for hard labourers, who form a large chunk of the population.

We also have the monsoon season, which is the time of the year (June to September) when the country gets the bulk of its rainfall. Currently in Mumbai, the monsoons have come in rather strongly and it looks like it's going to be a good one this year. (Last year the monsoon was deficient, which led to droughts in many parts of the country, and loss of crops.) So in Mumbai, where the monsoons had reached over a week ago, the sky is overcast all day, and it'll probably be the same for another 1 - 2 months.

#179997 - Thu Jun 19 2003 11:21 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Here is classified as semi-arid and we get pretty good extremes of temperatures (although the cold is nothing like what many of the gang here has!). Summertime can get up to 50*C, January is the worst month with temps usually not falling below 30* even at night. Also it's a really dry heat. Winter, I suppose, feels worse because we're outside much of the day. The coldest winter day may get to about 8*.

AS for it changing, the hubby has lived here all his life and swears that the summers are hotter and winters cooler (or perhaps his old bones feel it more? ) But looking over old rainfall records does prove that there is a lower rainfall than there used to be.

#179998 - Thu Jun 19 2003 11:49 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Look at Harish's avatar - now go down South (from the red dot) along the coastline - till you nearly reach the tip - Now thats where I stay.....

Now the weather.....

It's hot during summer
It's hot during Monsoon (Rainy season)
There are NO springs or falls
It's hot during Winter

Last Year

It rained during summer
It was bloody hot during Winter
It was bloody cold during Summer

As Coolup would say, "Blame it on GlobaliZation and Cultural ImperialiZm
" (Horray, I finally got it....)
Though, personally, I would blame it on the Nino, Ninas and Nemos of this world.....

#179999 - Fri Jun 20 2003 12:19 AM Re: Weather Where You Live
achernar Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India                  
ace, from your description, I gather that you live either in Kannyakumari, Trivandrum , or Nagercoil, I don't know which, but I didn't know it was so hot that far south. From the weather reports that I see on TV, it seems that the areas suffering from heat waves and stuff are mainly in north India, along with a bit in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. I didn't realize Kerala and the area south of the Kaveri river were that badly affected. I have family in Chennai, it seems that it's baking there 24 X 365, which is why my poor grandmother keeps having to come here. So now I think I'm really lucky living in Mumbai, it has never reached 40 degrees (to my recollection), and with the monsoons having made their way here, the only problem now is the mosquitoes...

I, agree with you on El Nino & family being responsible, but I would also add *global warming* to the list.

#180000 - Fri Jun 20 2003 04:57 AM Re: Weather Where You Live
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Florida USA  
I agree with you about global warming. Like the Matrix suggests, people are a virus on this planet. The planet has defense systems and ways of dealing with viruses. People should wise up. I know we got rid of CFC's in the 80's but people need to be more aware and do more. I don't think anyone wants the polar caps to melt even a little. Just my 2 cents.

#180001 - Fri Jun 20 2003 06:58 AM Re: Weather Where You Live
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
The southern El Nino is reported to have largely passed now down under which is great news for those in drought regions of Australia. We've had a few years of no spring and autumn, just hot or cold but always dry. Currently we're in winter which is wonderful in Brisbane. Cool refreshing nights where a long sleeve shirt is enough to keep the chill off and the days are warm not hot..

#180002 - Fri Jun 20 2003 07:43 AM Re: Weather Where You Live
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Half your luck Bertho. It is still very dry and we've only had rain about four times in the last twelve months. Nights are now down to 1*C ish.

Bit hard to get on the pushy at 7.30 in the morning.

#180003 - Fri Jun 20 2003 01:16 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
So far it looks like I'm the only one with cold winters! I'm quite far inland, on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border, roughly, so we get hot summers, and cold winters. Last summer it went to 40C once or twice (it's amazing to think that it could be hotter in Canada than in India!), and last winter I think the coldest was about -35C, though I have seen -40C more than once in my lifetime. The last couple of years there has been a drought here, but this year is not too bad, we got some snow in the winter, and it has rained some so far this spring. Overcast days are rare here, usually the sky is blue, both winter and summer.

#180004 - Fri Jun 20 2003 01:53 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
Here's the weather report for New Jersey, USA: this year it has been extreme. Winter was insanely cold with snow up until April (!). The spring rained the entire time, with a nice day scattered here and there. The weather report for next week is nice and warm - in the 90's Farenheit. Last summer was HOT! I loved it, but no one else did. I can't take the cold very well....SF, any vacant apartments there in Boca Raton??

#180005 - Fri Jun 20 2003 06:21 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Florida USA  
Quote:

Here's the weather report for New Jersey, USA: this year it has been extreme. Winter was insanely cold with snow up until April (!). The spring rained the entire time, with a nice day scattered here and there. The weather report for next week is nice and warm - in the 90's Farenheit. Last summer was HOT! I loved it, but no one else did. I can't take the cold very well....SF, any vacant apartments there in Boca Raton??

DraculaNut...
Believe it or not, I am strongly considering a move back to New York. You are more than welcome to move to Boca... apartments are kinda pricy, but being from New Jersey, I am sure that is no problem for ya

#180006 - Sat Jun 21 2003 05:57 PM Re: Weather Where You Live
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Sydney weather is at this time very interesting.This is winter yet the days have been pleasant and sometimes quite warm.The nights on the other hand have been winterish,two doonas and one t-shirt required in bed.We recently had some torrential rain but it only lasted 3 days.The mornings have been misty,until about 8am.I personally like a high temp,about 30 is fine,and a dry warm breeze blowing with no humidity at all.

#180007 - Sun Jun 22 2003 10:45 AM Re: Weather Where You Live
anagram2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kent, England
Here in the south of England we don't get any extremes in weather.... rarely anyway.
It's been pretty warm for a while, by that I mean mid 70's F. Typical British summer is a few hot days and a thunder storm and in fact there was some thunder rumbling around this morning. If the temperature rises to over 80 degress, we melt!
The winters are fairly mild. Just a few flakes of snow cause a major crisis...we don't deal well with snow, the country grinds to a halt.

Moderator:  bloomsby