Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#181341 - Wed Jun 25 2003 08:12 PM Man Made Structures
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
What do you reckon are the best man made structures?
Ancient structures such as the Pyramids or Great Wall of China? or more modern structures like the Golden Gate Bridge or Sydney Opera House? Or somewhere in between?

And what makes a great building? Is it because it is recognizable to so many or because of what is inside, like a museum?

#181342 - Wed Jun 25 2003 09:05 PM Re: Man Made Structures
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I'd have to say that, although I am a fan of the pyramids and other similar building of historic, cultural and human interest...I've always loved old churches. Old bluestone churches with high ceilings, stained galss windows and intricate carvings...something about them that gives me the shivers...in a good way

#181343 - Thu Jun 26 2003 01:27 AM Re: Man Made Structures
Tryst Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Mu Mu Land
For me it has to be a Woman, the curves,their looks,intelligence,i could sit and watch them for hours

#181344 - Thu Jun 26 2003 01:41 AM Re: Man Made Structures
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia          
Maybe you need to re-read the original post.
Women are not man made structures.

#181345 - Thu Jun 26 2003 02:13 AM Re: Man Made Structures
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Made from man maybe[according to the bible],shaped by male advertising execs certainly,but man made ?No I agree.

#181346 - Thu Jun 26 2003 02:16 AM Re: Man Made Structures
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
I'm still mystified by the great pyramids. No one yet has really presented a logical explanation regarding their construction though many have tried.

Bridges work for me. I'll pinch my quiz intro on bridges as it tells or that needs to be told...

"Bridges are not only the kings of the engineering world, they influence the development of cultures, environments and lives in more ways than we can count. Bridges shape skylines and connect countries."

#181347 - Thu Jun 26 2003 02:38 AM Re: Man Made Structures
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I was about to type bridges!When I`m in a high-rise building I always count the number of bridges I can view from the balcony.Television programs about bridges always interest me as well.

#181348 - Thu Jun 26 2003 05:08 AM Re: Man Made Structures
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
"What do you reckon are the best man made structures?"

It depends on what you mean by 'best' and 'structures'. When I say 'best' I could mean historically significant, largest, most complex or perhaps most beautiful, and this list is hardly exhaustive. By 'structure' I think, Copago you were implying a static building but ships, aircraft and even sculpture are structures too? So I guess I get to choose the question I am going to answer.

The most complex structures which human beings have designed and built are; the Space shuttle, aircraft carriers and the giant offshore oil & gas platforms. Aircraft, rockets and ocean liners all being hugely complex but somewhat simpler structures. Of these despite being so much less than its original conception, so frail and so dangerous I would nominate the space shuttle.

The most historically significant structure may well be the Great Wall of China. However, I think instead I would like to suggest the triplet of the Channel Tunnel (again something where reality is far less than conception), the Great Belt Bridge and the Oresund Bridge. In the era where the dream of European unity was strong they brought the continent of Europe closer together. I think the dream is probably dead now but it was a beautiful one.

The largest is easy it has to be the US freeway system.

The most beautiful structure is very difficult to choose. I think it may well depend upon where you live for many people. The Opera House, The Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty and of course the Blackpool Tower are all symbols of the places in which they stand and the people who built them. However, there are two structures that bring out the greatest emotional response in me personally and I guess that is the best measure of beauty I know. Firstly, in Oslo the Vigeland sculpture garden. It is a huge site filled with hundreds of statues all the vision of a single artist taking human life as his subject. Secondly, and more significantly crewed space rockets. To watch these huge towers of fuel and oxidant rise toward the heavens on a lance of flame is almost a humanist benediction. From the grace and elegance of the early Soviet Vostocks to the controlled savagery of the once mighty Saturn 5s they are all beautiful.

NB: Bertho, I remember asking you this once before why are you mystified over the construction of the pyramids?

#181349 - Thu Jun 26 2003 06:00 AM Re: Man Made Structures
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

It depends on what you mean by 'best' and 'structures'

Take it how ever you want to Nice answer. I suppose I did mean buildings but wanted to word it to include things like bridges also.

#181350 - Thu Jun 26 2003 01:33 PM Re: Man Made Structures
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
I guess the Pyramids, the Great Wall of China, the Inca Cities and their like around the world hold a fascination because of their size and antiquity (just how did they do it?) but I have to say that later buildings such as the Taj Mahal and the great Cathedrals of the World to me display craftsmanship which would be very difficult if not impossible to re-produce today. Many of the skills used to create these buildings are now nearing extinction. (and one last thought, how many modern buildings are still going to be standing in even 100 years time?)

Moderator:  bloomsby