Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#181481 - Thu Jun 26 2003 01:19 PM Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
I hope there hasn't been a post about this already. But just in case...what's your favorite part of your favorite book (or any book)? Mine would have to be "Someone Like You" by Sarah Dessen. When Halley tells everyone in the waiting room the sex of Scarlett's baby and everyone starts cheering and clapping. I also like when Halley's walking home from the hospital thinking about all the values and traits everyone will give the new baby,and she wonders what she will give the baby. But she states that she will show the baby Halley's comet when it comes again.
My favorite quote from that book is: "Life is an ugly,awful place to not have a best friend."--I love it so much I put it in my best friend's yearbook. Now it's your turn!

#181482 - Sat Jun 28 2003 10:04 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
My favorite quote from Jean M. Auel's "Plains of Passage" is 'You are discourteous and inhospitable, Attaroa."

My favorite scene from Jean M. Auel's "Mammoth Hunters" is when Ayla and Deegie go out in the snow to look over the ermine traps, and while they were taking the ermines from the trap, a black wolf attacks Ayla, but which Ayla kills in self defense. Ayla is then truly sorry for killing the black wolf when she realizes the wolf is a nursing mother. Ayla and Deegie then trace the black wolf's trail all the way to her den. Deegie is afraid because she thinks that a full wolf pack is going to attack them, but Ayla assures her that the black wolf was a lone wolf who had pups out of season. Ayla then crawls into the den in search of the orphaned pups, but only finds one male gray mottled pup, which she takes back to Lion Camp (her newly adopted home) and names Wolf.

#181483 - Sat Jun 28 2003 10:22 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

I'm still reading "The Fifth Of March:The Story of the Boston Massacre" by Ann Rinaldi (historical fiction). I just finished reading about the Boston Massacre in the book,and I had to stop and take a breath. It was that intense and exciting! I was just like,"Whoo! Who needs Charlie's Angels 2??"

#181484 - Sun Jun 29 2003 10:05 AM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
helpme911 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: The humid South
I loved the line in Deloris Claiborn by Stephen King:

Deloris is so fed up by men and now she has shoved her husband down a well. She tells her daughter, "Sometimes, being a b!tch is all a woman has to hold onto." I thought it was priceless, she had had a very rough life!

#181485 - Tue Jul 01 2003 03:00 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Tom Wolfe, from "Bonfire of the Vanities", on the Bronx County Courthouse:

Quote:

The building was a prodigious limestone parthenon done in the early thirties in the Civic Moderne style. It was nine stories high and covered three city blocks, from 161st Street to 158th Street. Such open-faced optimism they had, whoever dreamed up that building back then!

Despite everything, the courthouse stirred his soul. Its four great facades were absolute jubilations of sculpture and bas-relief. There were groups of classical figures at every corner. Agriculture, Commerce, Industry, Religion, and the Arts, Justice, Government, Law and Order, and the Rights of Man-- noble Romans wearing togas in the Bronx! Such a golden dream of an Apollonian future!

Today, if one of those lovely classical lads ever came down from up there, he wouldn't survive long enough to make it to 162nd Street to get a Choc-o-pop or a Blue Shark. They'd whack him out just to get his toga...

#181486 - Tue Jul 01 2003 03:41 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
A lot of my favorite scenes and quotes are from 50's hard-boiled crime books and mysteries. Two of my favorite quotes are: when Pat Chambers says to Mike Hammer in "Kiss Me, Deadly", "You're the guy things happen to. Some people are accident prone. You're coincidence prone" and this exchange between a woman and Lew Archer in the story "The Suicide": "Am I supposed to know you? I have a terrible memory for faces." "I have a terrible face for memories."

tjoeb};>

Edited by tjoebigham (Tue Jul 01 2003 03:47 PM)

#181487 - Fri Jul 04 2003 04:53 AM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
Cool,

Is this Courthouse as described a real or a fictional place? I was surprised to notice that its decorations as described bear a strong resemblance to those of the Albert Memorial?

#181488 - Fri Jul 04 2003 05:18 AM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
VickiSilver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chattanooga TN USA
The most quotable books I know are 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell.

From Animal Farm

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

From 1984:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

#181489 - Fri Jul 04 2003 05:57 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Although I can't remember it word for word here's one from "This Side Of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. "The invitation stayed in his pocket for a few days where it had an intense physical affair with a dusty piece of peanut brittle." HAHA!! So funny! Good picks,guys. Keep 'em comin'!

#181490 - Fri Oct 03 2003 07:01 AM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
Sarah606 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: DC Metro Area
In "Gone With the Wind" Scarlett tells somebody (probably Rhett) to "go strait to the Devil, and not at you leisure!". Just the way it was phrased killed me.

#181491 - Fri Oct 03 2003 01:20 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Has to be the escape sequence in Dr.No - Ian Flemings James Bond Book, where Bond enters the air-duct/shaft and encounters several anti-escape mechanisms. (It was reduced to what seemed like 5 seconds in the film and totally put me off the James Bond Films being a Bond Fan from the books in the 1950's)

#181492 - Wed Dec 17 2003 10:01 AM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
TheLurkerKing Offline
Participant

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
While I do have a number of favorite quotes, I think my favorite are what I call "dying declarations." That is, last words from characters who know they are about to die, or who know they might die any minute. Some of them are . . .

When their son wanted to go out and fight the Vikings armed only with a boar spear, what his father said to the mother: "No man can die twice--and no man can avoid dying once." Geoffrey Trease. "Escape to King Alfred"

Asked whether he was afraid to die, a character said: "Dying isn't something to be afraid of. The world and our experiences in it, are not so precious that we should be afraid to die." Todhunter Ballard. "Westward the Monitors Roared"

This conversation between King Arthur and the pageboy, Tom, at the end of the book. "Tell me, Tom. What do you intend to do tomorrow?"--"I shall fight, sir. I have a good bow."--"And you will kill people with this bow."--"Yes, my lord. A great many, I hope."--"Suppose they were to kill you?"--"Then, I should be dead, my lord." T. H. White. "The Once and Future King"

"What is he saying?" Steiner asked.--Kreuger jerked his shoulders, initially. "He says he is an old man."--"We can see that." Steiner said, calmly. "Nothing more."--"No."--"
Did you tell him, we'll shoot him?"--Kreuger nodded. For a few hearbeats, Steiner felt admiration for the old man. Willi Heinrich. "Iron Cross"

"All in all, as the Barbarian said: 'It was a good day to die.'" Mary Kirchoff. "The 7th Sentinel"

"Fight well." Badenock said to Geldion, and from tone, the Prince understood the further implications. "Die well." R. A. Salvatore. "Dragonslayer's Return"

Capt. Janeway speaking to her crew. "Next time, listen to old soldier's stories," I said, victoriously. "Never give up. Never give up, until you're dead. Never give up and die. Don't go peacefully. Make them come and get you." Diane Carey. "Fire Ship"

From the novelization of the remake by Tim Burton. "I'm done, being scared." he [Karubi] said. William J. Quick. "Planet of the Apes"

All in all, perhaps not a bad way to live. Enjoy!

#181493 - Wed Dec 17 2003 12:42 PM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I really love the "Pride and Prejudice" line:

Quote:

IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

How true it is!

#181494 - Fri Dec 19 2003 06:36 AM Re: Favorite Scene Or Quote From A Book
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I can't think of a favourite line or scene, but I recently finished reading "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" by Louis de Berniere's and there is one line that struck a chord with me. One of the characters says "I am not a cynic, but I do know that history of the propaganda of the victors". Ain't it the truth!

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom