Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#181677 - Fri Jun 27 2003 02:30 PM A credit to Canada
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I have to say that I am most impressed, this week I twice met a Canadian student who is on a placement in one of our government departments. This young gentleman is from Kingston, Ontario. He was SO smartly dressed, two beautiful suits, immaculate! Our students tend to be scruff bags in comparison. He was also very polite and presumably a bright cookie, he paid me a compliment (not sure if he realised) so he can do no wrong for me. I assume he is studying computers as he is working on an aspect of an important government website.

#181678 - Fri Jun 27 2003 02:58 PM Re: A credit to Canada
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

Does he know Lady C?

Does he like Bryan Adams?

What's his take on Avril Lavigne?

Bet he's polite!

#181679 - Fri Jun 27 2003 03:12 PM Re: A credit to Canada
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
What he did say is that he had trawled through over 600 pages of my website and thought it was great! Nice lad, so discerning.

#181680 - Fri Jun 27 2003 06:03 PM Canadian Invaders.
Qwiz Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canada
We send these types to invade other countries.
Most dress as tourists but I must admit this invader seems to be quite clever and a master of disguises.
Good for him and us. Wish him a Happy Canada Day.
136 years young! Here's your chance to see if he is a spy or not.
Thank you.
Chalk up another successful invasion.

#181681 - Fri Jun 27 2003 06:17 PM Re: Canadian Invaders.
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Perhaps he just sat on the same page and hit 'Refresh' 600 times..

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#181682 - Fri Jun 27 2003 06:26 PM Re: Canadian Invaders.
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
"Happy Canada Day.
136 years young! "

How did you work that out, what is the founding event? I thought Newfoundland or PEI, some place like that anyway only joint the rest of Canada after WWII. Have I got this wrong?

#181683 - Fri Jun 27 2003 07:49 PM Good Old Canada
Qwiz Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canada
Quote:

"Happy Canada Day.
136 years young! "

How did you work that out, what is the founding event? I thought Newfoundland or PEI, some place like that anyway only joint the rest of Canada after WWII. Have I got this wrong?

Thank you.

British North American Act of 1867 (BNA Act)
The Charlottetown Conference of 1864 set the foundation for the nation of Canada as we know it today. Although it took many years for all of the provinces to commit to Confederation, it was at this pivotal conference that the idea of the unified provinces was brought forward and the road to Union was paved.

After the meetings in Charlottetown the delegates went on to meet first in Quebec and then in London, England, to solidify the terms that would bring the provinces together as a nation in 1867. In the first arrangement only a handful of provinces would enter into the Dominion. Even Prince Edward Island, where Confederation was first discussed, waited to test the waters before joining in 1873. Eventually, however, all of the provinces were convinced of the advantages of joining the strong new nation of Canada. In 1949, Newfoundland became the final piece that would complete the tapestry of Canada.

Think of it this way... one becomes a parent with the birth of their first child, not their last.
Qwiz

Moderator:  bloomsby