Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#182782 - Wed Jul 02 2003 05:41 AM Washington, D.C.
just_a_girl Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania
What's everyone's favorite place in Washington, D.C. if you have been there. We are going there soon, and I want some recommendations. Thanks!

#182783 - Wed Jul 02 2003 06:19 AM Re: Washington, D.C.
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida†USA††
All I know about DC from handling claims there is to GET OUT! It is one of the most crime ridden areas in the U.S.
(Yes...Even White Collar Crime )

#182784 - Wed Jul 02 2003 06:51 AM Re: Washington, D.C.
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
I've never been to Washington but I hope to visit some day. When I do I will want to see the Lincoln memorial which is of course yet another homage to the magnificent Blackpool Tower.

Seriously,

The Air and Space Museum and the Jefferson Memorial would keep me occupied for a few days.

#182785 - Wed Jul 02 2003 07:37 AM Re: Washington, D.C.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
We have some folks from there. I personally loved the fact that the museums were free, what a great pleasure!

I have friends there so I've had the leisure of visiting reasonably often.
The Smithsonian's gotta be what I enjoy the most, history mainly.

#182786 - Wed Jul 02 2003 07:59 AM Re: Washington, D.C.
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
I have been a couple of times and you can spend a few days just in the mall area. Take the subway from your hotel to the mall and walk everywhere you need to go; from the Capital, through the enormous Smithsonians, the White House, the Supreme Court, all the monuments, or just sit in the grass and enjoy the beauty. A few blocks over is the National Archives where you can view the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights and other historical documents. Arlington National Cemetery is also well worth the visit. I've spent time in Foggy Bottom and Georgetown and walked to the Watergate just to say I had been there. If you love museums and history you will have a great time in the mall area alone. Have fun.

#182787 - Wed Jul 02 2003 09:36 AM Re: Washington, D.C.
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
I live just outside of D.C. and so have seen most of what it has to offer. The monuments are beautiful to visit at night, when they are all lit up. I like them all.

Although part of me resents the new FDR memorial (FDR himself explicitly said he did not want a memorial; he infact already has a small stone one, and this uses up most of the available space that's left), I have to say it is extremely impressive and well worth seeing.

The only memorial I have yet to visit is the Korean, which I am told is quite haunting.

The Smithsonian is great if you like natural history. There is a new "Spy Mueseum" I haven't been to, which sounds interesting, but it's private, I believe, so you actually have to pay $ $

If you have kids, I HIGHLY reccomend the children's meuseum. I used to really love that place as a kid.

I don't recommend the Holocaust Mueseum, to be honest. It is primarily this huge windy lair of television screens showing documentaries, and not, I guess, quite what I expected. I think it would have been much more powerful and affecting just to have a memorial like the one they do have iside the meuseum, with the torches burning and scripture carved on the wall. You used to have to get tickets for the meuseum--I'm not sure if that is true anymore.

Stay away from the Cochran unless you like modern art. If giant rabbit cages stir your soul, by all means go. Otherwise, I suggest the National Gallery.

As for crime--yes--it is a high crime city (though I think it's crime rate has dropped a little since the fed practically took it over). But stay in the touristy areas and be alert and you should be fine! Use the metro--don't try to drive yourself. It's well nigh impossible to park and you could get lost in some dangerous places. The metro is excellent and will get you within waking distance of the major attractions. You can buy a flash passyou can use all day long for unlimited riding.

#182788 - Wed Jul 02 2003 12:41 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
justawful Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Sykesville Maryland†USA†††
Even if you have no interest, The Vietnam Veterans Memorial should be visited. It's quite a profound experience.

#182789 - Wed Jul 02 2003 03:07 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I agree with all the suggestions above. All the memorials are impressive. And, the Smithsonian is wonderful - especially a certain display of ruby slippers that I absolutely adore.

I've been doing a lot of reading about Vietnam and plan to revisit the Wall next time I go. I've seen it before, but now I have a bit more history knowledge and will appreciate it that much more.

D.C. is a beautiful city with tons of history and wonderful sights to see. And, the above posters are right about it being incredibly easy to get around in - the Metro is wonderful.

#182790 - Wed Jul 02 2003 06:40 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida†USA††
My favorite place in Washington is the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution. It is very interesting and gives a peak at how Americans lived over the centuries. It contains exhibitions for all age groups, I don't know who enjoyed it more our children or us. Most of your time should be spent around the mall, but don't forget Washington has a beautiful zoo. If you are going this summer, be prepared, Washington can be very hot and muggy.
Plan accordingly. View the monuments early or later in the day and use the mid day to explore all the fantastic air conditioned museums.

#182791 - Mon Jul 07 2003 09:04 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
Ooh! This is so creepy! My family and I are planning to go to Washington, D.C. also and I was gonna post about whether or not anyone had any suggestions on what to visit. But no need now! Thanks, just_a_girl! I'm getting more excited by the minute!!!

#182792 - Sun Jul 27 2003 09:35 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Well, I'm going to grad school there...

The Spy Museum: Yes, it's $11 - but it is DEFINITELY worth it! I've been threr three times since I got here (once by myself, once with my brother and then once with my parents) and everyone I've gone with has loved it. That place is chock-full of really neat facts/interesting information. And they've started doing 'timed tickets' so you enter at a certain time which greatly relieves the crowding problem that they had when it first opened.

The Holocaust Museum is also good - I believe right now they are exhibiting part of Anne Frank's real diary. It's not somehting that you say "Hey, that sounds like fun!" when you think about going there, but it was something I felt I should do - and I thought the museum was wonderful. I don't agree that there are too many tvs in there - a lot of the way to 'cinvince' people that this happened is to show film footage. Having something like an article of clothing with a yellow star with the write-up underneath isn't nearly as possible as also having a video of the people wearing the clothing next to it.

Air and Space museum - pretty good, though I don't like the planes! It's really neat to see some of the things they have there.

Go to the Library of Congress - when you enter, into the foyer and up the stairs - the entire building is gorgeous, but that large foyer upstairs is WONDERFUL. Reminded me of the Palais Garnier/Paris Opera House.

If you're into good Irish food, there's a good place at the Courthouse metro stop (Orange line). It's called Ireland's Four Courts. (And they just won the annual soccer game at the Virginia Scottish Games!)

Arlington Cemetary is nice as well - it's like the holocaust museum, a place that you just feel like you should go. And the view from JFK's memorial is outstanding.

Lincoln Memorial is nice - although I haven't been there in a while (and it's right near work!)

Oh! I know! One of the BEST kept secrets is the Old Post Office. It has the best view of the city and there's NEVER anyone there! No crowds, no rushing, and it's free! It's right near the WHite House.

If you have a AAA card, there's a hotel my parents use that has a free metro shuttle. When my parents came down last month their rate was only $56/night for the room with a king-sized bed. The hotel is VERY clean and looks like it would be one of those that would cost you an arm and a leg to stay at!

If you have any questions/whatever, feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to answer it or offer suggestions. Or if you want to know where any of these places are and you can't find it online...

Just one thing I need to mention: When you're on an escalator - especially in the Metro/subway - STAND on the right side. If you stand on the left side of the escalator, people will glare as the left side is for people who walk up/down the stairs. (And I'm one of those people who walk - running up the escalator is GREAT exercise - I love that I'm now able to do the entire thing without getting winded at the end!)

Georgetown I'd skip - my brother and I went there this January and it was just like one big shooping area.

Edited by ladymacb29 (Sun Jul 27 2003 09:41 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#182793 - Mon Jul 28 2003 11:56 AM Re: Washington, D.C.
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

The Holocaust Museum is also good - I believe right now they are exhibiting part of Anne Frank's real diary. It's not somehting that you say "Hey, that sounds like fun!" when you think about going there, but it was something I felt I should do - and I thought the museum was wonderful. I don't agree that there are too many tvs in there - a lot of the way to 'cinvince' people that this happened is to show film footage. Having something like an article of clothing with a yellow star with the write-up underneath isn't nearly as possible as also having a video of the people wearing the clothing next to it.

But there is an entire windy hallway of TV screens (or at least when I went) showing documentary after documentary or newsreel after newsreel...I mean you can watch a documentary anywhere; it seems strange to build a huge mueseum primarily to house countless television sets showing footage. For me, the most affecting portion of the mueseum was (I think it was called) the hall of remembrance. And, actually, I found that somehting likea yellow star or the pile of shoes or the train car to have considerably more impact than a television screen.

Quote:

Go to the Library of Congress - when you enter, into the foyer and up the stairs - the entire building is gorgeous, but that large foyer upstairs is WONDERFUL. Reminded me of the Palais Garnier/Paris Opera House.

Do you still have to have a reason to go there--i.e. a student ID or working on a particular project? Many years ago when I went you did.

Quote:

Just one thing I need to mention: When you're on an escalator - especially in the Metro/subway - STAND on the right side.

Thanks! If only you could clue everyone into that fact.

Quote:

Georgetown I'd skip - my brother and I went there this January and it was just like one big shooping area.

Not really a place to hang out with kids. If you're young and single, that's another thing entirely. Unless you want to go see the Exorcist steps.

#182794 - Mon Jul 28 2003 12:15 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

Do you still have to have a reason to go there--i.e. a student ID or working on a particular project? Many years ago when I went you did.

Well, this past year you haven't... Just go through the entrance that's under the front steps. There's a small exhibit and you can see the Gutenberg (sp?) and another old Bible as well.

Quote:

Not really a place to hang out with kids. If you're young and single, that's another thing entirely. Unless you want to go see the Exorcist steps.

Well, I'm young and single and the only 'cool' thing about it was inside the little mall there was a stand that had Loganberry (it's a drink made by Pepsi that you can't get in DC).

#182795 - Mon Jul 28 2003 02:54 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

Well, I'm young and single and the only 'cool' thing about it was inside the little mall there was a stand that had Loganberry (it's a drink made by Pepsi that you can't get in DC).

I just know college kids and high school kids seem to like to hang out at Georgetown. Arlington may prove a better evening experience...or, my favorite, Old Town Alexandria.

#182796 - Mon Jul 28 2003 03:24 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
ladymacb29 Offline

Alexandria's nice - when my boyfriend and I went a few weeks ago, they had put soap in the large fountain and the entire little suare there was full of bubbles! I don't think it was a prank as the police were there adding more soap!

Also, in light of Bob Hope's death, there's a nice exhibit about him at the Library of Congress.

#182797 - Sat Aug 16 2003 08:47 PM Re: Washington, D.C.
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
I've been back from my D.C./NYC vacation for some time,but I'm a procrastinator so I'm just now getting around to telling everyone. I summarized my NYC trip on the appropriate thread.

Washington,D.C. was great! The first day,though,was pretty bad because being the "genius" that I am (and wanting to prove my mother wrong) I wore my "comfortable" sandals. Needless to say,after almost an entire day walking around D.C. there is no such thing as comfortable sandals. But I did have fun. I saw all the necessary memorials.(I practically had to BEG to see the Korean War Memorial and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial) We went to some museums. We were in the National Museum of American History and I kept looking for the ruby slippers but everyone in my family was so grouchy! But I was ruthless! "Oh,your knees hurt? Well,my feet are bleeding but I ain't leavin' here 'til I see those ruby slippers!!!" And I did! I wanted to see Mr. Rogers' sweater but no such luck. We even went to the Holocaust Museum and got our timed ticket but did we go? No. Of course not. My cousin Justin and I also wanted to go to the FBI building but did we? No. Of course not. The unimportant children wanted to see it. Yeah,I know,I'm bitter. But I had fun! Really! Seriously though,in general I did enjoy myself. I was in awe over the Jefferson Memorial. Hmmm.....I don't think I've ever been in awe before.....Anywho,we had a lot of laughs (mostly from my crazy Animal-muppet uncle David) and some tears (in NYC) but I'm glad I had the chance to see national landmarks. And I'll return as soon as possible..... And I'll see what I want to see!!!!

Moderator:  bloomsby