Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#183780 - Fri Jul 04 2003 03:44 PM You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
This is not my favorite although most memorable : "Mickey" by Tony Basil.

My favorite: "Groove Is In The Heart" - Dee-Lite

Yours?

#183781 - Fri Jul 04 2003 06:36 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Most recently, though it wasn't a big hit, I liked that dance song, "I'm Gonna Get You" by Bizarre Inc.

I imagine some artists might have been one hit wonders in the States but were multi-hit artists elsewhere. I loved Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come on Eileen" and Modern English's "I Melt With You". I think both bands had other hits in England or Europe, though I'm not positive.

Earlier one hit wonders I love- King Harvest's "Dancing In the Moonlight", The Stories "Brother Louie", William DeVaughn's
"Be Thankful For What You Got" and Los Bravos "Black Is Black."

Hard to pick just one favorite song, especially with one-hit-wonders becoming more frequent these days.

#183782 - Sat Jul 05 2003 04:07 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
There were plenty of one-hit wonders in the psychedelic sixties. I can't remember them all but the Strawberry Alarm Clock was one of them.

What about the 80's group David and David? They made one terrific album and then dropped out of sight.

#183783 - Sat Jul 05 2003 05:55 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Just as an observation, two of the most enduring one-hit wonder hits would have to be 'Spirit In the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum, and 'Stuck In the Middle With You' by Stealers Wheel.

#183784 - Sat Jul 05 2003 02:22 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
Whenever the disco-fever hits me, I love both "Back In Love Again" by LTD and "Play that Funky Music Whiteboy" by Wild Cherry!!

#183785 - Mon Jul 07 2003 02:45 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Has to be B. Bumble and the Stingers - Nut Rocker
or perhaps Norman Greenbaum Spirit in the Sky or Brian and Michael Matchstalk Men but then again it might be Grandad or Grandma(Lol - feeling sick!) - Then again It has to be Typically Tropical (cricket on TV)

#183786 - Thu Aug 07 2003 07:53 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
Lupetta Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London
England UK
"Your Woman" by White Town, super lyrics, great video.

#183787 - Fri Aug 08 2003 10:11 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I guess mine would have to be "In The Year 2525" (a very long time ago). It shot to #1 so I bought it and, in retrospect, it's no fluke that Zager and Evans never charted again.

#183788 - Fri Aug 08 2003 12:03 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
Mine is, without a doubt, "A Fine, Fine Day" by Tony Carey. I have loved this song since it came out in '83 or '84. Which brings me to a question, does anybody else remember Tony Carey?

#183789 - Wed Aug 13 2003 12:59 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
GOSTEELERS Offline
Explorer

Loc: Maryland USA
Ride Captain Ride-Blues Image
Vehicle-The Ides of March
867-5309(Jenny)-Tommy TuTone
Band of Gold-Freda Payne
American Pie-Don Mclean
Signs-The Five Man Electrical Band
Hocus Pocus-Focus

#183790 - Thu Oct 09 2003 09:39 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
tyrailia Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
I may be a dork, but I still like the song "Set adrift on memory bliss" by PM Dawn

#183791 - Wed Oct 29 2003 12:30 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
kloot Offline
Explorer

Loc: Manchester
England IK
Really liked Sleeping Satellite by Tasmin Archer (number 1 in the UK about 1992) when it came out - did she release anything after that?

#183792 - Tue Jan 30 2007 10:45 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: kloot]
archie_liaison Offline
Participant

Loc: Gold Coast QueenslandAustralia
No Rain - Blind Melon

#183793 - Wed Jan 31 2007 07:29 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: archie_liaison]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
"Touch of Grey"

#183794 - Wed Jan 31 2007 12:01 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: stuthehistoryguy]
KrivoyRog Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Middlesbrough
England UK  
Two favourites - both are great pop singles -

New Radicals - "You only get what you give"

Dodgy - "Good Enough"

#183795 - Wed Jan 31 2007 05:43 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: KrivoyRog]
Anonymous
No longer registered

"You Spin Me Round Like A Record" by Dead Or Alive
"What Is Love?"- By Howard Jones
So many more I also enjoy.

#183796 - Thu Feb 01 2007 02:42 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger)
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

I have changed my mind, and have just written a quiz on my new favorite one-hit-wonder. We shall see if it is accepted.

#183797 - Fri Feb 02 2007 09:22 AM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: stuthehistoryguy]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I have changed my mind, and have just written a quiz on my new favorite one-hit-wonder. We shall see if it is accepted.

It has been.

I think that I am no longer in danger of ever being approached about being an editor on the main site.

#183798 - Mon Mar 05 2007 04:46 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: stuthehistoryguy]
ILoveKellyRipa Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
867-5309 Jenny- Tommy Tutone
Mickey- Toni Basil
Tainted Love- Soft Cell
Ice Ice Baby- Vanilla Ice
Come On Eileen- Dexys Midnight Runners

#183799 - Thu May 03 2007 12:32 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: ILoveKellyRipa]
katnlo611 Offline
Learning the ropes...

There have been a lot of one hit wonders. Just to name a few...

Autograph-Turn up the radio
Blues Image-Ride captain ride
Bow Wow Wow-I want candy
Bobby McFerrin-Dont worry be happy
Nick Gilder-Hot child in the city
Starland Vocal Band-Afternoon delight
Devo-Whip it
Wild Cherry-Play that funky music
Sinead O'connor-Nothing compares to you
Soft Cell-Tainted love

#183800 - Thu May 03 2007 01:17 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: katnlo611]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
Come On Eileen
Mickey
And of course, Afternoon Delight!

#183801 - Tue May 15 2007 04:07 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: superferd]
miramarjuice Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
Biz Markie "Just a Friend"
Luniz "I Got 5 On It"
Gary Numan "Cars"
Buster Poindexter "Hot, Hot, Hot"
Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock "It Takes Two"

#183802 - Tue May 15 2007 05:34 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: miramarjuice]
strnog1 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Anchorage Alaska USA         
One of the reasons I really like music is that it tells so much about us. I enjoy trying to figure out why, for instance, Johnny Rivers was really popular in the United States and couldn't buy a clue in the U.K., or alternately, why the Manic Street Preachers have the reverse pattern.

Saying that, there are quite a few artists on some submitted lists that are not a one-hit wonder anywhere, Howard Jones and Don McLean being the two that come to mind the most, and others, like Dexy's Midnight Runners or Gary Numan, who had quite a few hit records in the UK, but only one in the U.S.

Limiting this to one hit on either the British or American charts, my favorites include two that have already been mentioned, New Radical's "You Get What You Give", Modern English's "I Melt With You", but I'd like to add Len's "Steal My Sunshine" and Wall of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio".

#183803 - Tue May 15 2007 07:03 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: strnog1]
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Quote:

there are quite a few artists on some submitted lists that are not a one-hit wonder anywhere,

Yes, I wondered what criteria people might be using for 'hit'. For example, Devo. If you're talking Top 10 or whatever, yes, they'd qualify. But they actually had several relatively successful (Top 100 or even Top 50) hits, and I would never consider them one-hit wonders.

I'm thinking that people are listing groups/songs that are not of their 'era', so to speak. You only remember the biggest hit because you weren't around when the band was popular. Or, perhaps, weren't sufficiently into the particular genre to remember any but crossover hits.

Or something like that...

#183804 - Tue May 15 2007 07:25 PM Re: You favorite one-hit wonder (Song or SInger) [Re: Taesma]
callie_ross Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hawaii USA
"Broken Wings" by Mister MR.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher