Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183854 - Fri Jul 04 2003 06:09 PM Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
Are there any books that had you in stitches? Of course there's always the reviews that say,"This will have you laughing out loud!" But did the reviewer keep his/her promise? The only book that I can think of is "Gingerbread" by Rachel Cohn(sp). But I don't know if that counts because they were quoting the movie "Heathers" (although I didn't know it at the time) when the father says "I love my dead gay son!" I was laughing for a good five minutes and couldn't make myself continue reading until I calmed down.(Maybe I should explain that the main character's gay brother had a band called My Dead Gay Son and he and his boyfriend would quote that line endlessly.) Have you read any really funny books?

#183855 - Fri Jul 04 2003 06:40 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
Almost anything by Terry Pratchett, but especially "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.
Spike Mulligan's (sp?) "Puckoon".

Plenty of other books have had passages that made me laugh out loud, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

#183856 - Sat Jul 05 2003 07:12 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
T.R. Pearson's "A Short History Of a Small Place" is hilarious if you like long, discriptive prose and appreciate southern humor.

#183857 - Sat Jul 05 2003 07:39 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
snm beat me to it, I came to post Puckoon, surely the funniest book ever. "Tank heaven the ground was there to break my fall!" "The church clock was right twice a day"

#183858 - Sat Jul 05 2003 07:41 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Bill Bryson often has me giggling as I read. Donald Westlake's "Dortmunder' books, and Lawrence Block's "Burgler" books are both comic mystery series, and both rate pretty high on the DS/H index (delighted snorts per hour).

#183859 - Sat Jul 05 2003 10:34 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Just about anything by P.G. Woodehouse or Evelyn Waugh.

#183860 - Sat Jul 05 2003 11:58 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I'd add my voice to those who've mentioned "Puckoon".

It's a long time since I read any Wodehouse, but (like skylarb) I seem to remember laughing out loud at a lot of it.

Others:

Tom Sharpe's earlier books, especially "Riotous Assembly", "Indecent Exposure", "Porterhouse Blue" and "Wilt";

"Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons;

"England, Their England" by A. G. Macdonell, especially the celebrated village cricket match.

#183861 - Sat Jul 05 2003 01:28 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
India Knight's descriptions of a playgroup run by idiots...was the best comedy I've been privileged to read in years.
Her columns aren't half bad in the Daily Times either.

#183862 - Sat Jul 05 2003 01:44 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
I don't know if "autobiographical fiction" comes into the class of Novel but Spike Milligans War Memoirs in several volumes starting with "Adolph Hitler, My part in his Downfall" and ending with "Where have all the Bullets gone?" had me laughing out loud (and evoked the extreme opposite response in places).

#183863 - Sat Jul 05 2003 01:50 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
I've read "Adolph Hitler, My Part in His Downfall", and while it was extremely funny I though "Puckoon" was funnier.

(Sue, the exact quote regarding the clock is: "The clock in the church tower said 4:32, as it had done for three hundred years. It was right once a day and that was better than no clock at all.")

#183864 - Sat Jul 05 2003 02:24 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
Though I haven't read him lately, I used to read Donald Westlake regularly and his books are indeed easy and humorous to read.

#183865 - Sat Jul 05 2003 02:49 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

I really must see if I still have a copy, or get myself another copy as I haven't read it in years. The first time I read it I took it to the hairdresser with me and read it whilst I was under the drier (I am going back the better part of 40 years) and apparently the ladies in the salon were all giggling at my belly laughs. I suppose it must have been amusing to see a person laughing so much.

#183866 - Sat Jul 05 2003 09:59 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
Oooh! These all sound so good! I can't wait to check them out. Especially "Puckoon" and "A Short History of a Small Place" (Because who loves Southern humor more than a Southern belle?)

#183867 - Mon Jul 07 2003 09:54 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
I love the Discworld books of Terry Pratchett I find them very funny. I also enjoyed Neil Munro's Para Handy stories.

The book that made me laugh the most however was without any question "The Throwback" by Tom Sharpe. I remember at one point lying on my bed curled up in a ball with tears pouring down my face and laughing so much I was having trouble drawing breath. This was about five minutes after I had put the book down! It is by parts, macabre, sick, sexually offensive but always wickedly funny.

#183868 - Mon Jul 07 2003 10:16 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
Douglas Adams' "Hitchiker's Guide" series makes me laugh out loud every time I re-read them---and I re-read them about once a year.

For fans of Southern writing, I can recommend Pretty much anything by Ferrel Sams. There's once passage, far too long to quote here, that I pointed out to my brother in the library once. Ten minutes or so later, he found me and threatened to kill me once we got outside. His face was red, and his eyes puffy with unshead tears---he said holding back his laughter had almost caused him to explode.

#183869 - Mon Jul 07 2003 10:29 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Just noticed this post, and was going to contribute, but my two favourite laughter-provoking authors have already been mentioned- Spike Milligan, and Tom Sharpe.

Spike's first three war books would have me roaring with laughter, and the ludicrous situation that Tom Sharpe's Wilt got himself into are just hilarious.

Both good tonics after a bad day at work

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#183870 - Tue Jul 08 2003 01:13 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Quote:

Douglas Adams' "Hitchiker's Guide" series makes me laugh out loud every time I re-read them

I second that one.

#183871 - Tue Jul 29 2003 04:17 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Not a novel but I did laugh out loud on numerous occasions when reading a book by Tony Hawks, Round Ireland With a Fridge. Tony Hawks hitch-hiked round the coast of Ireland with a fridge, literally, and he relates his adventures in this book.

I am now just starting another of his books, One Hit Wonderland, and when I have finished that I will probably read his other book, Playing the Moldovans at Tennis.

#183872 - Wed Jul 30 2003 02:04 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
Jim_in_Oz Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Phew, I was getting a little worried there. I was scrolling down reading all these posts and no mention of Douglas Adams until MsBatt stepped up to the plate. I have re-read the entire "Hitchhiker's" series (the trilogy in five parts) and it is pants-wetting stuff in parts. His other books are also great, especially the Dirk Gently novels "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "Long Dark Teatime of the Soul". Unfortunately the great man died while writing the third in that series, "The Salmon of Doubt" but the bits that have been written are included in a posthumous tribute book of the same name. Also very funny.

#183873 - Sat Aug 02 2003 10:02 AM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

One Hit Wonderland is nowhere near as funny as Round Ireland with a Fridge, just the one giggle, no tears of laughter.

#183874 - Sun Aug 10 2003 09:52 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
Dixie6256 Offline
Explorer

Loc: southwest Alabama
I feel so old when I remember the first book that made me laugh out loud when I read it, and I can't remember the author's last name (his first name was Richard): Don Quixote, USA.

Science fiction author Spider Robinson has a series of books about Callahan's Crosstime Saloon and Lady Sally's House (Lady Slings the Booze). That title will have those who don't classify puns as humor steering clear. Robinson has his characters mention Westlake's Dortmunder: if you like the one, you probably will enjoy the other.

For Southern humor, I turn to Florence King. Her Southern Ladies and Gentlemen was a birthday gift, but I went to the bookstore for another copy since I knew I'd not be able to resist loaning it AND obsessing over its absence ten minutes after it left my control. I looked in "fiction" and "humor," but found it finally in "sociology"! If, however, you've ever wondered exactly what makes a good ol' boy, you'll get the best definition ever from this book, as well as an explanation of why every Southern woman would like to be a "hoyden minx."

#183875 - Mon Aug 11 2003 04:30 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Don Quixote USA" was by Richard Powell. His "Pioneer Go Home" wasn't bad either, and he wrote a really quite good book based on the Trojan War called "Whom the Gods Would Destroy" which I would love to read again, but it's way out of print.

#183876 - Mon Aug 11 2003 06:10 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
sebastiancat Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
The last laugh out loud book I read was "Lamb--the Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal" by Christopher Moore. If the title isn't enough to make you roll on the ground the remainder of the book will do so.

#183877 - Thu Sep 25 2003 01:08 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
Elanor Offline
Participant

Loc: UK
I agree about The Hitch-hiker's Guide, though I didn't find the sequels as funny. Wodehouse can always make me laugh, no matter how low I'm feeling. And another favourite of mine is Stephen Fry's The Liar, not to everyone's taste, but hilarious nonetheless.

#183878 - Fri Jan 23 2004 03:04 PM Re: Laugh-Out-Loud Novels
zelda Offline
Participant

Loc: Earth
Anything by P. G. Wodehouse has me chuckling to myself. Oh, and "Anguished English" by Richard Leaderer (or something like that...). That was one hilarious volume!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom