Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#184170 - Mon Jul 07 2003 06:08 PM Big City vs Small Town
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Which would you prefer and why?
The hustle and bustle of the city or the quiet life of the small town?

#184171 - Mon Jul 07 2003 06:57 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
I've lived in both large cities and small towns. I currently live in a town of 3,500 souls and enjoy the quiet, non-threatening ambiance.
We obviously don't have the amenities of big city living, but we trade the convenience for a slower lifestyle.
There is one theater, two car dealerships (Ford and General Motors), a half-dozen restaurants (none of them serve top notch food); there are 2 traffic lights, another half-dozen gas stations, a volunteer fire department, maybe a 6 car police department, three banks...
Well, you get the idea. After 10 years here, I've become accustomed to the pace of life and don't really miss the bigger metro areas because I can always drive 75 to 120 miles for that experience.

#184172 - Mon Jul 07 2003 07:06 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
The main reason I prefer city life to country life is because you can be anonymous...people don't worry about wht you're doing, when you're doing it and who you're doing it with. My sister and a lot of my family live in the country, so I've spent a lot of my time up there. I like the quiet and the lazy pace. I just don't like people "judging" me...

#184173 - Mon Jul 07 2003 08:57 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
I live in a small city. Small enough that hardly anyone has ever heard of it,but big enough where everyone is not in your business. A nice balance,I think.The population is currently a tad over 40,000. (I think) It has a quaint downtown area which I love,and I wouldn't mind sharing an apartment over State Street with my best friend while we work through college. I mean,a coffee house and a library all within walking distance? How very me! But like most restless teens,I simply cannot wait to get out here. Although, I'm sure I'll be back.....

#184174 - Wed Jul 09 2003 04:45 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Where I live now used to be considered the country not so long ago, but now it's the suburbs. I like living in the 'burbs as
long as the neighborhood stays outside city control. The city
is a medium sized one, more medium sized when the college
students are here. I really wouldn't want to live in any city,
whether it's small, medium or large. The suburbs are best for me- outside the hustle & bustle of the city but close enough
to get-in and get-out when I need to. Plus it's a close exit to
the country when I want to head to the lakes & forests.

#184175 - Wed Jul 09 2003 08:24 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
Mysterious_Misty Offline
Enthusiast

I live in a huge city; my highschool alone teaches about 2,000 students. All I can say is thank goodness I was born in such a place, because no matter how hard I try, I can't stand the country. (My grandparents live in the middle of nowhere, so I usually have to endure a week at their place, chickens and all, every summer).

With libraries at every corner, dozens of museums, theaters, parks, orchestras and organizations to join, one-in-a-million shops, etc. I am grateful every day for being blessed with so many resources and opportunities right at my fingertips.

Of course, this may also be due in part to my red hair, light skin, and obsession with the violin This place is overflowing with fabulous musicians to listen, watch, and work with!

#184176 - Wed Jul 09 2003 09:09 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
BaronTR Offline
Participant

Loc: Arlington TX
I'd never considered the idea that I didn't like country living because I have red hair and light skin, but it all makes sense now..lol
Growing up, spending just a few hours out in the country was plenty enough for me. I'm partial to the vibrancy and different options available when you live in a major metropolitan era, and have no interest in being any significant distance away from cities for any length of time.

#184177 - Thu Jul 10 2003 01:54 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
I'm a Small Village person who likes to be near the Big City (Call it best of both worlds). I live next to the countryside but it's only 5 miles to the centre of the City - that's how it is in the Midlands of the UK.
Given the choice then I'm a Country Pub regular rather than a City Pub regular.

#184178 - Thu Jul 10 2003 08:37 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
You all probably guessed I'm a small town person, and even then on the edge of the small town with room for a couple dogs, chooks, sheep and so on. While it would be nice to have all the amenities of the cities - sporting events, theatres, medical care that is what weekends would be for! I jsut can't stand all the people bustling around everywnere in the cities and always breath a sigh of relief when I get home after a trip away.
Tanzen mentioned being anonymous in the city which is a great point but I like the country where everyone looks out for you. If someone hears your having a bit of trouble with something they'll ring up and offer to help in someway, whether it be babysitting while I can go and do the job or lending a hand on the job itself. The other day the bush telegraph was in full swing when the police were going to be checking all the properties along a couple of the roads for a variety of things. Everyone knew within minutes to put the snake gun away and not go driving on the roads in unregistered vehicles and so on.

#184179 - Sun Jul 13 2003 08:08 PM Re: Big City vs Small Town
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
Quote:

but I like the country where everyone looks out for you.

I know what you mean, Copago.

My sister and her son (my four year old nephew) live in the country...and whenever they come to visit us here, my nephew always has trouble undertsnding why people don't say hello to him. Where they live, he just waves at everyone (regardless of whether or not he knows them ) and people will always say hello

#184180 - Mon Jul 14 2003 12:33 AM Re: Big City vs Small Town
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I prefer holidaying in the country over another big city,and I am planning to retire to the country but at this point in my life I like the surprises that living in a city brings.The hum of the city and the variety of people along with stores that are open 24/7 are what I enjoy most.Sitting under a blanket of stars with a fire burning whilst sipping on a cold beer are great to do in the country but to live my life in such a relaxed state wouldn`t be for me,yet.

Moderator:  bloomsby