#184272 - Sat Sep 06 2003 11:05 PM Re: Best 5 SF Books and Worst Stinker
rohiniiota Offline
Participant

Loc: Mumbai India
1. A Fire upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge
2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke
3. 2010 - Odyssey 2 - Arthur C. Clarke
4. The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. LeGuin
5. Contact - Carl Sagan (not sure about this one)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would top this list except I am not sure whether it IS Sci-fi.

#184273 - Mon Sep 22 2003 11:07 AM Re: Best 5 SF Books and Worst Stinker
Tielhard Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Blackpool UK
Yayyyyyyy! Some one else that liked “A Fire Upon the Deep” rohiniiota. Did you enjoy the related “A Deepness in the Sky”? I did but felt that although it was excellent it was not in the same class as the first book.

O woe! Dixie6256 with you on the Bester but (to step a little outside the bounds of SF) Horatio Hornblower! I am an Aubery and Maturin man myself.

I notice neither of you have nominated a stinker? Could I encourage you to do so?

#184274 - Thu Sep 25 2003 04:53 AM Re: Best 5 SF Books and Worst Stinker
rohiniiota Offline
Participant

Loc: Mumbai India
I have tried pretty hard to get my hands upon "A Deepness in the Sky", but have not found it anywhere. I have read a few others by him though, among which I liked "The Peace War" best. But again, not in the same class as "A Fire upon the Deep"

Worst Stinker: "Shiva Descending" by Gregory Benford. A carbon copy of every other 'asteroid - heading - towards - earth - let's - blow - it - up' story, especially this book by Arthur Clarke, whose name I don't remember, but which just might have been the first. The asteroid in that was called Kali, which, like Shiva, is the name of a Hindu deity.

#184275 - Wed Mar 31 2004 02:06 PM Re: Best 5 SF Books and Worst Stinker
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
I just finished reading Vacuum Diagrams by Stephen Baxter - it's a fanstastic epic spanning 5 million years into the future. It rates right up there with Diaspora by Greg Egan, with plenty of "hard" science and imaginative situations. I feel I have to somehow amend my original list of five to include this one.

Thanks again, Tielhard, for introducing me to this great author, and thanks also to Xaosdog for turning me on to Greg Egan and Linda Nagata. I've read everything I can get my hands on by all of them, and they never fail to please!

#184276 - Thu Apr 01 2004 07:42 AM Re: Best 5 SF Books and Worst Stinker
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
I tend to like classic science fiction. My favourites would probably be

Earth Abides - by George R. Stewart
War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
Mythago Wood - Robert Holdstock
Davy - Edgar Pangborn
Venus on the Half Shell - by Philip Jose Farmer (it was originally published under the name of Killgore Trout)

My favourite authors are Philip K. Dick, John Wyndham, Philip Jose Farmer, Clifford Simak and Douglas Adams.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom