Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#193726 - Tue Sep 16 2003 11:19 AM Sad News - Gunslinger
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
I've just read Crisw's post in the Staff lounge - Gunslinger (Larry) has passed away, I was totally shocked at the news and hope he didn't suffer in his last hours. Larry was really helpful to me when I had an FT identity crisis and we worked together to try to find the solution (which affected a lot of other members) My heartfelt condolences go to his family.
I hope your new wings are as good as the old ones mate

Edited by Linda and John - We've had a request from one of our members to add the following poem to the top of this thread, and we think it's a good idea. This was posted by Gun on Veterans' Day, and it seems to have meant a lot to him. It feels appropriate to have it as a tribute to this dear, sweet man.

It Is The Soldier...

It is the soldier,
not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier,
not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier,
not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

RIP GUNSLINGER!

Edited by Fosse4 (Wed Sep 17 2003 12:06 PM)

#193727 - Tue Sep 16 2003 11:30 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Larry had been suffering some ill-health recently which is why he hasn't been around much for the past few months, he was waiting for surgery and we were hoping for a speedy recovery but it wasn't to be.

My thoughts are with his fiancee Eileen, his daughter Kelly and the rest of his family and friends at this sad time. We will truly miss him around here.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Sep 17 2003 06:53 AM)

#193728 - Tue Sep 16 2003 12:02 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA
Gunslinger helped me out quite a bit when I was a newbie. He always treated me with respect and kindness. He will be missed around here.

I hope you're healthy and happy on the other side Gunslinger.

#193729 - Tue Sep 16 2003 12:09 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
This very sad news has come as a shock. Larry was always greatly appreciated by the adminstrators, editors and moderators here in Quizzyland. He will be sorely missed.

My heartfelt sympathies to his fiancee and his family.

#193730 - Tue Sep 16 2003 12:18 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
There is not any of us who has been around here a while that Gunslinger did not help if we asked him. Our deepest sympathies to his loved ones. Linda and Charlie C

#193731 - Tue Sep 16 2003 12:32 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
magpie8 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ottawa Canada           
I am incredibly shocked and sad to read of Gunslinger's death. He was always a gentleman to me, and provided much encouragement, humour and support through my efforts as editor. I offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends, as well as to all members here who got to know him.

#193732 - Tue Sep 16 2003 01:46 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I agree that just about all of us were touched, in some way, by this sweet man. His death comes as a shock to us, and I'd like to give everyone that wishes to the opportunity to post your memories of him. At some point, I hope that Eileen, his fiancee, can reflect on these to know just how much we all miss him and think of him.

I'm going to "sticky" this to the top of the forum for a while. Please add your own thoughts and memories to the thread.

He truly was someone that I looked up to and admired greatly. I can't believe he's really gone.

Edited by Linda1 (Tue Sep 16 2003 01:48 PM)

#193733 - Tue Sep 16 2003 04:16 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
A true gentleman indeed. My memories of him go far back, and they bring a smile. As has been said, he was ever ready to help. We will miss him. XX

#193734 - Tue Sep 16 2003 05:09 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
For those who didn't get a chance to know him, Gunslinger was a wonderful, forgiving and patient man with a great sense of humour. He was one of the first people I met on this site, and one of the reasons I have stayed so long.

I don't have a 'story' or anything that's particularly memorable, but I know he helped just about everyone (including, escpecially me) become better editors and moderators. He was tough when he needed to be, but first and foremost he was helpful and wanted to get to the root of a problem. He also was wonderful at giving criticism constructively - he and Bruyere seem to have gone to the same school that teaches you how to tell someone they're wrong without totally offending that person!

What everyone's said is true - he was a large part of this site. Where Terry has been the visionary, owner and man doing all the coding of the site, Gunslinger was the one 'running the show'. During my time here, through Gunslinger's leadership I saw this site go from having quite low standards of quizzes (quotations? what are those?) to being *the* best trivia site on the internet.

I wish I could have known him 'in person'.

Editor for Television Category

#193735 - Tue Sep 16 2003 05:25 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
moonrockie Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Florida USA
Gunslinger "saved the day" for me when I arrived in the forums and forgot what I'd used as a password...I found myself unable to thank everyone for the warm welcomes I was receiving, until he straightened it all out....he was quite the 'hero'!
It's been almost two years since then, and I always respected his honesty and fairness.
Many comforting thoughts and prayers to his family and friends...he touched many lives.

#193736 - Tue Sep 16 2003 06:15 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
To any personal friends or relatives of Larry who may be reading this I wanted to add my condolensces. I've been working with Larry/Gunslinger for the past 3.5 years and it has been a pleasure. He was a good man and will be missed.

#193737 - Tue Sep 16 2003 06:34 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
I've known Gun for the past 2 and half years. He was a real gentleman and very kind. You could go to him with anything and he'd fix it.

I remember one time I was being harassed by player, and I couldn't make the person stop...so I told Gun what was happening and he said he'd handle it. I gave him the password to my Quizzyland page and sure enough the person who was harassing me sent me a message...of course Gun handled it.

Gun was a special person, and although I never met him, I wish I could have.

He will always be missed. Rest in peace, Gun.

#193738 - Tue Sep 16 2003 06:57 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
Man. Losing Gunslinger is tough. I'm getting to know you guys now and seeing him gone is a tough one.

Edited by gatsby722 (Tue Sep 16 2003 07:01 PM)

#193739 - Tue Sep 16 2003 07:10 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Gunslinger is the reason that FT is as it is today. In fact, these forums would not exist today, had he not stepped in and taken ownership of them. Neither would Quizzyland be the smoothly running operation that it is today.

More than his contributions to the site, the way in which he presented himself and provided leadership will be missed. I have met few people who could make a tough decision, stick firmly with it, and back it up in an unwavering manner. If Gunslinger wanted something done, it was done. He knew when he was right, and he stuck to his guns.

While Gunslinger may no longer be with us, a part of him will live on permanantly with this website. The changes and leadership that he provided here are permanant -- he left an impression on people and on the way we do things here that will be more long-lasting than he could have ever possibly imagined.

Thank you Gunslinger, for all of the time that you dedicated to FunTrivia. I know you thought of FunTrivia as a second home, and we thought of you as a family member. I feel deeply saddened, but at the same time honored and greatful that I had the opportunity and the pleasure to meet such a fine and remarkable man. He was a role model for us all.

Terry

#193740 - Tue Sep 16 2003 07:54 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
What a terrible shock! Gunslinger has always been an important part of Fun Trivia. I am sure we will all miss him, but Terry and the administrators will feel his lose the most. My prays go out to all his family and loved ones.

#193741 - Tue Sep 16 2003 07:59 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
I would also like to express my condolences to Gunslinger and his family. In the brief time I was an editor, he took the time to answer my questions when I had problems and can see that he did for others as well. He will be missed.
Mike

#193742 - Tue Sep 16 2003 08:10 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Nicely said, Terry.

#193743 - Tue Sep 16 2003 09:11 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
Good grief...that's terrible news...'Slinger was always nice to me...and for a scared and reticent newbie it meant a lot...

My deepest sympathies to everyone who feels his loss...and a genuine wish that all those grieving will be comforted in the belief that Gunslinger is at peace...

Edited by tanzen (Tue Sep 16 2003 09:40 PM)

#193744 - Tue Sep 16 2003 09:23 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Geek Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota U.S.A.
One of the first things I noticed when I came on this site a few years ago was the message from Gunslinger in the controversial issues forum. Whenever I saw that I'd think about how nice a place this is where people can actually be serious and mature about stuff. A rare thing on the internet.

Rest In Peace, Gunslinger.

#193745 - Tue Sep 16 2003 11:19 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
I'm Gunslinger's daughter, for those of you who don't remember me. I wanted to let you all know that he went quietly, in the middle of the night. I appreciate all the thoughts and everything. You guys were family to him.

SM (Kelly)

#193746 - Tue Sep 16 2003 11:25 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks for taking time to come here, Kelly. I'm hope you can see just how much GS meant to so many of us.

Our thoughts are with you.

#193747 - Tue Sep 16 2003 11:39 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
I remember Gunslinger since the very early days of Funtrivia, when only a few of us posted on the boards. I remember his wit and humour, I remember when Terry asked if anyone could look after the site whilst he was away, Gunslinger was the first to say "I will". He was a true gent.

My condolences go to Larry's family and friends and I wish them all a long and healthy life.

#193748 - Wed Sep 17 2003 12:15 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
and may his soul Rest In Peace.

Goodbye, GS.

#193749 - Wed Sep 17 2003 12:50 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
My Deepest Sympathy to his Family and Friends.
He was a very rare and special person who shall be missed by all those who's lives he enriched by being a part of it.
I am grateful that I had the chance to know him.I shall remember him with a smile as he made me laugh and was a fair and decent human being and a true gentleman.
Bonnie

#193750 - Wed Sep 17 2003 12:53 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Kelly I remember you. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time, your father was a well respected and much valued man and he will be sorely missed by us all.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943