Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#193826 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:14 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Please click on the link which is in the top right of your screen.

Gunslinger was a long-term administrator of this website and was a very fine man, he worked extremely hard for the members and was appreciated by all that knew him through this site.

#193827 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:21 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
zelda geek--->I will thank you now not to send me any more PMs. And I will further thank you to not casually dismiss those who have come before you, like Gunslinger. He was a very impressive person and, from what I've seen so far, you are not.

#193828 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:58 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

And I will further thank you to not casually dismiss those who have come before you, like Gunslinger. He was a very impressive person.

I agree with you gatsby! Gun was truly a great person and will never be forgotten on this site. Other than Terry and the editors...he kept this site going and got the membership high. For that, Gun, we thank you!!

Changed name as I misread it...sorry gatsby

Edited by dg_dave (Fri Sep 17 2004 08:59 AM)

#193829 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:16 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
It's been almost 2 years now. Wow.

I still have his ashes on my dresser. He wanted to be sprinkled over the ocean from an airplane, but I'm not sure how I would do that, or even if I could what with gas prices what they are now..

So, anyone have ideas?

My mother-in-law makes pottery, and will be making me a small urn that I will personalize so I can keep a small amount of the ashes, but I really don't know what to do with the rest of them.

#193830 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:58 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
He is going to understand, SM, if you don't actually scatter them from a plane. We scattered my mum's over the clifftop where she loved to walk with her beloved dog. We talked about her while doing this and had a few laughs about things she said and did. The undertaker , on giving us the urn, warned us to stand downwind, or we would get a mouthful! My mum would have had a huge laugh at that! If you can imagine the broad Devon accent when he was warning us. A real giggle. Just scatter them on the ocean he loved....

#193831 - Thu Sep 01 2005 11:14 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
SilverMoonsong Offline

ren, it was flying he loved so much..

#193832 - Thu Sep 01 2005 11:21 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Ah Silvermoonsong, {{big hugs}} to you.

My mother left us nearly 4 years ado, and she's still keeping me company on my dresser. I face a similar dilemma in that one day I would like to take her to the Orkney Islands and scatter her there, but I doubt I will ever be able to do that. So we are considering other options.

Perhaps a compromise might work? Is it the water that is the important part? Maybe there is an organization there that does scatterings by boat, if you are near the ocean. (Out here we have The Neptune Society which does that.) Or if you are inland, maybe there's a nice lake or river. (Although I know different areas have different laws regarding these things, you'd have to check that, I guess.)

My other suggestion would be just to find a place that your father particularly loved; for instance, did he go camping or skiing or something like that?

Sometimes I feel that I should find a place for my mom soon, but then I think, well, where would she rather be than with her family? So I don't worry about any kind of deadline. When it's the right time and place, it'll feel right, I think.
Again, my condolences to you. I know how difficult it is.

Edited by Taesma (Thu Sep 01 2005 11:21 PM)

#193833 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:21 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
<ren, it was flying he loved so much..>
Of course , I realise that but what I meant was he will understand if you can't do it.

#193834 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:48 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Kelly, what about contacting a parachuting club? They will certainly have the door open on a 'plane, it might not be over an ocean but certainly from the air. Then, as your father was an airman in the armed services, how about a Veteran's organisation, they might know how to organise this through the airforce (perhaps scatter the ashes from a helicopter). Both these options would probably be completely free of charge.

I cannot believe that it is two years alredy, he is still missed here on a daily basis.

#193835 - Fri Sep 02 2005 03:24 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
what Sue said .. where have those 2 years gone?

#193836 - Fri Sep 02 2005 05:14 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Hi, SilverMoonsong.

I had my friend's ashes scattered at sea, off the coast of New England (where he was born) by the Coast Guard. I honestly cannot recall the cost, but I do not think it was very expensive at all. It is a service the Coast Guard apparently performs routinely, and they aren't necessarily making a special trip to do this. They have a ceremony on the ship and they sent me photos of the ceremony and a map and log indicating where the ashes were scattered. The funeral director who handled the cremation did all the arrangements for me.

You could talk with a funeral director in your area about the options for scattering ashes, including by plane. They can give you a good idea of the costs, and who might do that sort of thing. They would probably be your best source of information. In the phone book, under funerals and cremations, you might also find cremation societies which might be able to provide you with additional information. There might be organizations that arrange to scatter ashes from planes, and if they do more than one each trip, the cost might not be too high.

Another option might be to plant a memorial tree, either on your own property, if you have a house, or on the grounds of a V.A. hospital, or college, or park, and place the ashes under the roots of the tree (if that's possible). As the tree grows, part of your dad would be reaching toward the sky, and he would be a part of the life cycle.

I think that whatever you decide to do will be the right thing.

I can't believe it's two years either.

#193837 - Fri Sep 02 2005 07:40 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
SilverMoonsong Offline

Quote:

Then, as your father was an airman in the armed services, how about a Veteran's organisation, they might know how to organise this through the airforce (perhaps scatter the ashes from a helicopter).

I had to chuckle out loud at the helicopter part.. my dad hated helicopters. he always said something about them "beating the air into submission..."

I will look into the local vets organizations and see what info they have. If not, I can contact the PBA back in New Jersey and see if they have any ideas. Hrm.. also the Masonic Lodge might do something.. although that one is not very likely..

And my dad also had another saying about parachuting..
"Why would someone jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

#193838 - Sun Sep 04 2005 07:35 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
linkan Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada USA       
I agree with contacting the coast guard or even a local airport to ask the cost. You might be surprised how nice some people can be.

Since that was his wish, I would do my best to fulfill his last dying wish. Doesn't necesssarily mean today, but in the future.

#193839 - Sun Sep 04 2005 02:04 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
SM, isn't there anyway that you can contact those flyging schools? Maybe they would be able to help you with your request?

Just an idea....

-------
Agnes (JTJ

#193840 - Mon Aug 21 2006 01:16 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: sue943]
syedam Offline
Participant

I don't know Gun in person, but after reading the message out here given by the people, I really feel that we have missed a very good person who is very dearest to all of us. I miss u Gun..

#193841 - Mon Aug 21 2006 06:36 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: syedam]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks Syedam. Yes it is coming up to three years now, but we still miss him badly.

#193842 - Mon Aug 21 2006 08:29 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: ren33]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Yes, we do, ren. It's hard to think it's been that long.

#193843 - Mon Sep 18 2006 04:27 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: dg_dave]
SilverMoonsong Offline

"I wish you enough!"
Written by Bob Perks
Bob@BobPerks.com

Recently I overheard a father and daughter at the airport in their last moments together. They had announced her departure and, standing near the security gate, they hugged and he said, "I love you. I wish you enough." She in turn said, "Daddy, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too." They kissed and she left.

He walked over toward the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say goodbye to someone knowing it would be forever?"

"Yes, I have," I replied. Saying that brought back memories I had of expressing my love and appreciation for all my Dad had done for me. Recognizing that his days were limited, I took the time to tell him face to face how much he meant to me. So I knew what this man was experiencing.

"Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever goodbye?" I asked.

I am old and she lives much too far away. I have challenges ahead, and the reality is, the next trip back will be for my funeral," he said.

"When you were saying goodbye I heard you say, "I wish you enough." May I ask what that means?"

He began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone." He paused for a moment and looking up as if trying to remember it in detail, he smiled even more. "When we said 'I wish you enough, we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them," he continued, and then turning toward me he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory:

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.

I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish enough "Hello's to get you through the final "Goodbye."

He then began to sob and walked away.

I wish you enough.

To all of you that have been with me along this rocky path, I wish you enough

Kelly

#193844 - Mon Sep 18 2006 04:50 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: SilverMoonsong]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

A man remembered with great affection and respect, it seems like only yesterday that we had the benefit of his wisdom and great sense of humour. Firm but fair. When making decisions here I often think "Gunslinger would have said...", and he was virtually always right. We miss you Larry.

#193845 - Mon Sep 18 2006 05:40 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: sue943]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks for that, Kelly. I still miss him too, of course we all do. He did so much.

#193846 - Tue Sep 19 2006 01:04 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: ren33]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I joined after Gunslinger left us, but it is obvious he was a well respected and lovely man.

#193847 - Tue Sep 19 2006 05:43 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: JaneMarple]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Oh my, I am wetting my keyboard here.

I never had the pleasure of knowing your father, but if he was anything like his daughter, he was an amazing man.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#193848 - Tue Sep 19 2006 07:05 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: skunkee]
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Michigan USA  
Sounds like I missed one fine human being.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#193849 - Tue Sep 19 2006 07:22 PM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: jarsma63]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

Sounds like I missed one fine human being.

Yes, jarsma, you most certainly did.

#624060 - Wed May 11 2011 12:15 AM Re: Sad News - Gunslinger [Re: moonrockie]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Found this while I was doing some server cleanup:

http://www.funtrivia.com/gunslinger.html

Still miss you, big man!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943