Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#201024 - Thu Sep 17 2009 01:32 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: REDVIKING57]
nasty_liar Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England UK
Here sits a huge sports fan. I watch football, rugby, cricket, formula 1, tennis, athletics, snooker, darts, some boxing, some golf, I watch a variety of things at the Olympics....

I never play the sports category in the global challenge, who's the smartest and I dare not even attempt it in the piece of cake game because they are no interesting at all for me! Too many questions about sports that are obscure (to me) like baseball, gridiron and basketball.

This is by no means a complaint, I am merely stating a few facts there that tend to back up what many have said above.

I am smart enough to realise that there are many, many more US users of the site and have written far more quizzes on American sports. At the same time, those quizzes have been answered correctly more times than other sports quizzes because of the number of American quiz takers, thus making them eligible for use in the hourlies. Its just numbers

As an aside, I will try the sports category when I get to the higher levels in this GC (I've never got beyond Brainiacs before, but I think I'm set to break that!).

#201025 - Thu Sep 17 2009 01:53 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: nasty_liar]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
The American based sports questions you will see in the GC in those later rounds are obscure ones, even to those of us who follow the sports regularly.

#201026 - Thu Sep 17 2009 02:34 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: agony]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Quote:

Kinda like saying "hockey" when you mean "field hockey"...

Exactly - the hockey I played on the school field.

Quote:

By 'normal' hockey, I'm assuming you are referring to field hockey...

I think we should ... use the proper names, not the shortcut ones,

Exactly again.

Every country and culture has its own words for hockey, football, tennis shoes, beer cans; and some sort of protocol for being clear and unambiguous would be wonderful.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#201027 - Thu Sep 17 2009 04:16 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: lesley153]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Jeesh ! After reading all this, I think I have every number of excellent excuses, especially now, for disliking any number of sports quizzes and/or questions all over the place. It comes as a relief, too. Up until this thread, I had just assumed I had no very good clue about sports, in general. I reckon it's feeling better to know that, now, it's much more a digestable matter of knowing a little less about field varieties of hockey than I do about ice varieties of it . Whoever's getting to talking about different variations of it than those two? You need to stop ! I'm already *sports inadequate*. I need to start feeling *adjective inadequate*, too? Just kidding .. but I was thinking: here's this erstwhile editor, Nightmare, trying to champion the cause of quiz writers coming up with new quizzes in the Sports category. Seems like a worthy mission, yes? But, ye Gods, who would dare write one now? Not only does one have to research every question to make sure they have the "sporty" details right, they also have to cross-culture every adjective they use in it properly to make sure it's both inclusive (culturally) and specific enough to scratch every itch that could possibly be scratched? I'm currently having some mighty troubles building a quiz on Marvin Gaye (and I know lots about him --- both where he's from and what he did, where). I'll maybe try a "football" quiz next? Ugh. Not a chance! It'd take me four questions to clarify what I meant by the word 'football', evidently ...

Although, I guess, that'd mean it would be easier for me to write up six questions as opposed to ten ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Sep 17 2009 11:35 PM)

#201028 - Thu Sep 17 2009 07:51 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Gatsby722]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I've also played deck hockey on board ship using quoits, but plays just the same as the field sort. And there's one we played in a wooden gym with light sticks which also has a name but can't remember it. Same skills and moves for all really, except the ice sort requires professional skating ones on top. I still can't go backwards after 40 years...

UN IPCC

#201029 - Thu Sep 17 2009 08:05 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: BxBarracuda]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:

I'm sorry if you were offended and next time I'll use three smilies to spoil the subtlety of my very British humour.

I'm very well aware of British humour, being half-English myself. There is nothing subtle, however, about implying that people are wrong-thinking for not using the same terminology that you use. I have played both versions of hockey, at a very very minor level, and find the one that requires skating infinitely harder to play, and extremely real.

#201030 - Thu Sep 17 2009 08:55 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: spanishliz]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
It was a joke, clearly a very bad one that didn't translate. It was not intended at all seriously, and certainly not meant to imply that anyone who doesn't think as I do is wrong-thinking. If I actually thought that I'd never have said it in a million years. Nor was it an adverse comment on ice hockey or in favour of field hockey or any other sort of hockey. I have actually watched ice hockey in Canada, and it was as exciting as anything I've seen. Skill, speed, pace... it's a great game. I've never played field hockey in my life, and only watch it at the Olympics - but a very large number of people do play it worldwide and find that exciting too.

What I said was part of a light-hearted post that included my joking comments on how to answer baseball questions - I hope no one takes that seriously either or they'll all be blaming me when the answer isn't Babe Ruth. I've already apologised for offending you, I can't do any more than that.

#201031 - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:12 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
Flopsy, I totally got your joke and it made me smile.

#201032 - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:24 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: queproblema]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
I thought your method for baseball questions was logical Flopsy and I was serious in my response. There is some humor in the method, but I think it will get you better then average results.

#201033 - Fri Sep 18 2009 04:45 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: BxBarracuda]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: "hockey"
When I made my comments, I assumed that at least 56% (53% Americans plus 3% Canadians) of the folks here knew that when bucknallbabe mentioned hockey in the same sentence as US Sports that she/he meant "ice hockey" rather than "field hockey". Yes Lesley, I'm completely at fault for thinking that the other 44% of the people on this site should also assume the same thing. I most definitely should have typed "ice hockey" instead of just "hockey". My apologies!

I also thought that more than half of us realised flopsy was only making a joke. I can also certainly understand some people taking offense when there are no "smilies" involved - unfortunately, with text comments, the "twinkle in one's eye and the wry grin" doesn't always come across in the way we hope it does (happens to me all the time lol) Anyway, the actual "day one" of the invention of ice hockey has been a matter of debate in this country (Canada) for over 100 years. So, depending on who you believe, the first ORGANISED field hockey teams in Britain predate the first ORGANISED ice hockey teams by anywhere from 6 to 30 years (neither of which would be as in their current forms today). So if "real" means "first chronologically", I can live with that lol. I certainly didn't take "real" to mean "the one and only".

Re: "football" (as in "soccer")
North Americans are often "ridiculed" for calling the game "soccer". The truth is, our game(s) of "football" (meaning gridiron type) were already well-established before the "beautiful game" caught on here in popularity. So we needed another name to differentiate between the two. We chose "soccer", which, I've been given to understand (I could have been misinformed), was a BRITISH invention, used by folks to differentiate asSOCiation ("assoc") football from rugby type football. "Soccer" rolls off the tongue more easily than "assoc" so the nickname stuck, I guess. In any case, the term didn't originate over HERE. Furthermore, some proponents believe that, from a strictly etymological point of view, the term "football" means ANY game played ON foot (as opposed to on horseback), not necessarily a game played WITH the foot.

Re: "football" (as in gridiron)
I realize most people think that the US version of "football" is the "only" gridiron game. However, Canadian (gridiron) football has different rules, as well as a different "style". Canadian football games are much more "wide open", we have a bigger field size, different number of players and, some feel, a more interesting/unpredictable game from a pure "entertainment value" perspective. For instance, while American football games can often be very low scoring (sheesh, some ICE hockey games have higher scores lol) and the final minutes of the game considered "boring" by some (i.e. that they are usually filled by nothing but timeouts and grounding the ball - yeah, I know, it's called "strategy" lol), Canadian games can actually be WON in the final seconds. When hubby is watching an NFL (the US version) game and I tell him dinner will be ready soon and he says "five minutes", I always ask, "is that football minutes or REAL minutes?" LOL. Anyhoo, when people say "North America", it would be nice if folks didn't assume that Canada is a part of the United States ~. Also, there are other forms of the game, for instance: "touch football" and "flag football" (neither of which are played on a professional level, but are still valid sports nonetheless).

I could "go on"... but.... yes, Gatsby, I DO understand your "frustrations" lol (enjoyed your post, btw)

---------------------------------
No sport is "real" until you play it yourself. I have the scars to prove it.

#201034 - Fri Sep 18 2009 05:23 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jakeroo]
Richie15 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cardiff Wales UK            
Flopsy you're an evil and vicious woman for so blatantly implying that all Americans are complete idiots and you should be flogged through the streets of Northampton as a penance. Wearing a hockey goalie's mask and a pink bunny costume.

#201035 - Fri Sep 18 2009 05:37 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jakeroo]
bucknallbabe Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bedfordshire England UK      
Jakeroo - you are right. I chose to use the words "football" and "hockey" deliberately as they were specifically in the context of US sports and using my own self-imposed protocol, I referred to them using the same terms as I assumed the players of the game would - after all it is the NFL not the NAFL (National American Football League) and the NHL not the NIHL (National Ice Hockey League). I'm sorry you came into the criticism which possibly should have been directed at me. I wasn't around much yesterday so have only just caught up on the discussions.

#201036 - Fri Sep 18 2009 05:42 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jakeroo]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Does that mean that I too am completely at fault for assuming that everyone would know that "hockey" is what you play on grassy fields?

Flopsy, I too got your joke and it made me smile too.

Richie, I like your thinking, but I can't help thinking that the pink bunny costume is a cruel step too far.

Suddenly this thread is a lot of fun.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#201037 - Fri Sep 18 2009 05:43 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: bucknallbabe]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Is NHL ice hockey? Gosh - really old, and still learning!

#201038 - Fri Sep 18 2009 07:14 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Richie15]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

Loc: Leicester England UK      
Quote:

Flopsy you're an evil and vicious woman for so blatantly implying that all Americans are complete idiots and you should be flogged through the streets of Northampton as a penance. Wearing a hockey goalie's mask and a pink bunny costume.

And ice skates? And why only Northampton? Couldn't we have "Flopsymopsy On Tour"?

I'll organise tickets.......!

#201039 - Fri Sep 18 2009 07:38 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Richie15]
flopsymopsy Offline

Quote:

Richie, you are a very bad man. You only resurrected this thread because I was beating you in the GC and managed to get some good scores in Sports. Well, not any more - my baseball rubric failed me today. *sobs* It's a pretty poor show when a GC Sports category contains not a single reference to Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Joe DiMaggio OR Jackie Robinson - I may have to call in the umpires.

Or even better, I should publish the note you sent me about my underwear.

(Now that comment should set tongues wagging and keyboards rattling. )

Jakeroo, let's not go into the history of various sports, eh? Or I shall be forced to refer to the derivations of baseball and then even Bx will reach out to bite me and queproblema will stop smiling.

Lesley... what everyone plays on grassy fields is Lacrosse. Field hockey is for cissies, why they even stop playing when it rains. I spent my teens playing a North American sport, and just to show how stupid I really am, I was goalkeeper in a school team where the games mistress did not believe in masks. I was allowed to wear padding but facemask... no way; I'm amazed I have any teeth left. And if anyone thinks that men's lacrosse is more violent than women's, then they obviously have not played in a league of English schoolgirls.

I'm off now, to practise for the world tour of "Rabbits on Ice". All Rights Reserved. 10% to my Ticket Agent, RedViking.

#201040 - Fri Sep 18 2009 07:48 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

Field hockey is for cissies

That's me!

Will your tour be coming to Bedford?

#201041 - Fri Sep 18 2009 08:28 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: lesley153]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Right I'll apologise for being too thin-skinned. I was in the middle of a family crisis so I guess my funny bone wasn't working.

Edited by spanishliz (Fri Sep 18 2009 08:30 AM)

#201042 - Fri Sep 18 2009 08:49 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: spanishliz]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

Quote:

Right I'll apologise for being too thin-skinned. I was in the middle of a family crisis so I guess my funny bone wasn't working.

Well played,Liz! Let's just have a little giggle,and move on.

#201043 - Fri Sep 18 2009 09:26 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: lesley153]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

So long as Flopsy agrees (being the 'Star Turn',and all that),I'm sure we can nip across Northampton,on to the A.6,then straight down to Bedford!

#201044 - Fri Sep 18 2009 09:34 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: lesley153]
flopsymopsy Offline

Quote:

I try to avoid Bedford. It's a black hole for motor traffic - once in Bedford there is no escape, the vortex sucks you in and then there are no signs out, and what few signs there are all point in the wrong direction. The best thing to happen to people from Northampton for decades is that they're building a bypass round Bedford.

*shakes hands with spanishliz* Sorry to hear about the crisis, I hope it resolves itself in a good way.

#201045 - Fri Sep 18 2009 10:40 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
bucknallbabe Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bedfordshire England UK      
By all means avoid Bedford - Milton Keynes is only a few miles away and has an ice rink - and an ice hockey team MK Lightning.

#201046 - Fri Sep 18 2009 12:16 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: bucknallbabe]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

Quote:

By all means avoid Bedford - Milton Keynes is only a few miles away and has an ice rink - and an ice hockey team MK Lightning.

Is that who the legendary Concrete Cows play for?

#201047 - Fri Sep 18 2009 12:18 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

I try to avoid Bedford. It's a black hole - once in Bedford there is no escape...

So would I if only I'd known. You don't have to be driving for it to be a black hole. Lemme out! Help!

Quote:

The best thing to happen to people from Northampton for decades is that they're building a bypass round Bedford.

Best thing for everyone, I think.

#201048 - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:35 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Gatsby722]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Quote:

Jeesh ! After reading all this, I think I have every number of excellent excuses, especially now, for disliking any number of sports quizzes and/or questions all over the place. It comes as a relief, too. Up until this thread, I had just assumed I had no very good clue about sports, in general. I reckon it's feeling better to know that, now, it's much more a digestable matter of knowing a little less about field varieties of hockey than I do about ice varieties of it . Whoever's getting to talking about different variations of it than those two? You need to stop ! I'm already *sports inadequate*. I need to start feeling *adjective inadequate*, too? Just kidding .. but I was thinking: here's this erstwhile editor, Nightmare, trying to champion the cause of quiz writers coming up with new quizzes in the Sports category. Seems like a worthy mission, yes? But, ye Gods, who would dare write one now? Not only does one have to research every question to make sure they have the "sporty" details right, they also have to cross-culture every adjective they use in it properly to make sure it's both inclusive (culturally) and specific enough to scratch every itch that could possibly be scratched? I'm currently having some mighty troubles building a quiz on Marvin Gaye (and I know lots about him --- both where he's from and what he did, where). I'll maybe try a "football" quiz next? Ugh. Not a chance! It'd take me four questions to clarify what I meant by the word 'football', evidently ...

Although, I guess, that'd mean it would be easier for me to write up six questions as opposed to ten ...

Nightmare is just amazing when it comes to sorting out all the "little niggles" in sports quizzes. I know literally nothing about practically any sport you could name and yet, with his expert help, freely given, I have managed to not only get several sports quizzes online, but actually have two of them "get the thumb". Nightmare was patience itself with me when I asked what I suspect were extremely odd questions, and given the time difference between us went "above and beyond the call of duty" to stop me saying anything that would make me look obviously silly
I wrote the quizzes purely by research rather than knowledge I already had if that makes sense, so the facts were there, but it was definitely Night's help that turned them into readable, playable, and (I fondly hope) interesting quizzes. Nobody need 'fear' having a go at writing sports while he's on the job, if I can do it anyone can!

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4