Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#200924 - Sun Apr 16 2006 03:00 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes
cheekay Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Cape Town
South Africa
At least I understand the game of cricket - even if I don't know who won what test against whom at what location in which year leading by x amount of runs or wickets standing.

#200925 - Wed Feb 14 2007 08:11 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Linda1]
sundaygirl1965 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Swansea Wales UK            
Hi all,
Is there a list of quizzes that the site wants? I am british and find some of the US questions hard, but hey i am learning something.
I wouldnt mind trying to create a quiz, but am unsure how to go about it and what quizzes are most needed on the site.
we dont want loads of quizzes on the same subject so what would be a safe subject to start with,

sunday

#200926 - Wed Feb 14 2007 08:30 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: sundaygirl1965]
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Hello sunday !

I think you might find these guidelines of some help. They appear on top of the "Create new quiz" page.

Quote:

Please keep in mind that we get HUNDREDS of Entertainment, Movie and Music quiz submissions each month. These are ok, but our players like a nice mix of topics. Therefore, we encourage you to submit quizzes on areas such Science, Technology, Geography, Politics, History, Word Games, Animals.

It might be difficult for anyone to ask for a specific quiz/questions. Also, I don't think the site wants anything specific. People create their quizzes and other people play it or not.

If there's a subject you'd like to see covered and couldn't find any quizzes about it by now, then the best you can do is create one.

#200927 - Wed Feb 14 2007 02:24 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: denni19]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I agree - we are always looking for quizzes in subjects that have not yet been covered to death.

Think of all of your interests, things you know something about. Then go looking for quizzes on them. When you find one missing, that's a good place to start.

#200928 - Mon Apr 02 2007 06:28 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Linda1]
trapt1 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: West Allis Winsconsin USA
I create a lot of quizzes that have to do with chart positions based on information from Billboard USA. I have always been told by editors to make sure and specify what country's charts are being refered to. In the last six months or so, I have taken a number of quizzes that have questions that refer to chart position in one way or another, but nothing in these quizzes mentions what chart or what country they are refering to. I recently sent a message to one quiz maker correcting her statements in a quiz where some of the questions mentioned chart positions. Her response was that the song in question DID hit number one in England, and that she shouldn't have to specify because there are so many countries that are on the website. Actually, that is EXACTLY the reason that the country or chart needs to be specified. I have gotten questions wrong since this was not done. Is this not being required anymore?

#200929 - Mon Apr 02 2007 06:33 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: trapt1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It is definitely being done, but may have slipped under some editor's radar. If you see it, please send a correction - then an editor will make sure it gets done, thanks.

#200930 - Mon Apr 02 2007 06:35 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: agony]
morrigan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan USA
I always send a correction when something's not specified-like whether a quiz covers the movie or book version of something.

It does make a difference.

Morrigan

#200931 - Mon Apr 02 2007 06:57 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: agony]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

It is definitely being done, but may have slipped under some editor's radar. If you see it, please send a correction - then an editor will make sure it gets done, thanks.

... or it could have been put online before this was required.

Editor for Television Category

#200932 - Fri Jul 20 2007 06:44 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: ladymacb29]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
On American related quizzes, this is a problem I've found that seems to be mainly American.

I have done a few sports quizzes, hoping that the quiz will be on the rules and nature of the sport, not who plays them, and I have found that even though it states nothing in the title like "famous basketball players" about 60% of the questions are about sporting heroes (mainly American) rather than the actual game.

Could it be made a requirement to put in the title if the quiz includes rules or just player trivia?

#200933 - Thu Jul 26 2007 07:52 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: The_lioness33]
trevor1968 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Shearstown Newfoundland Canada
Hi,
I wrote a post on this topic last night but it got deleted. Do anyone know why?
please help

#200934 - Thu Jul 26 2007 08:09 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: trevor1968]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Because it was not on topic. This thread is about the "Americacentricity" of quizzes, your post wasn't.

#200935 - Thu Jul 26 2007 08:33 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: sue943]
trevor1968 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Shearstown Newfoundland Canada
Ok Thank You Sue

#200936 - Mon Jul 30 2007 01:18 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: trevor1968]
sancho_pft Offline
Participant

Loc: Middlesbrough UK
My only grumble about Americacentricity is that some wholly Amercian questions do pop up in the Global challenge; maybe I'm wrong but I don't see many UK-specific questions filtering through to the Global qeustions.

#200937 - Mon Jul 30 2007 02:14 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: sancho_pft]
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Quote:

My only grumble about Americacentricity is that some wholly Amercian questions do pop up in the Global challenge; maybe I'm wrong but I don't see many UK-specific questions filtering through to the Global qeustions.

I find that interesting, especially since the majority of questions in the global challenge, especially People, are UK specific.

#200938 - Tue Jul 31 2007 04:53 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: DakotaNorth]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I agree. A lot of quiz questions in the GC are UK based. There also seems to be way more football questions than necessary. Especially, uniform numbers, team dates, etc.

#200939 - Thu Nov 15 2007 02:23 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: veronikkamarrz]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I wonder if the UK people perceive it as "America centric" and the USA people perceive it as "UK centric" because we all remember the questions we got wrong?
I seem to constantly come up against USA brand names for drugs and can never remember which is which, and also some of the cooking ones, with pie crust, biscuits, cookies etc, I have to think hard to get the American one rather than the British one.
I have noticed some sports questions sneaking into general lately, from mixed quizzes and they drive me mad too because I am hopeless at sport.
The one in animals about "which football team are the Magpies" probably drives a LOT of people mad too - I got lucky because it's local to me, but I would think a lot of people get peeved by that one...

edit to add - There are a lot of "old" questions in the GC too, especially in animals, where the questions are now not permitted in new quizzes to the category but come up time and again in GC rounds. Weights of dogs and how long they live with options very close to each other spring to mind. They are very hard to get at any speed

Edited by Rowena8482 (Thu Nov 15 2007 02:25 PM)

#200940 - Thu Nov 15 2007 05:23 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Rowena8482]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Good point, Rowena. These days, I check the quiz-writer's profile before I tackle a quiz, sometimes to see which spelling hat to put on, and sometimes to see which direction to point my brain in.

There do seem to be a lot of quizzes about American branded medicines, and menus in American fast-food places. I'm also stumped, not only by the questions about where U.S. sportsmen went to school or college, but also by the interest in where they were educated. So while I'm scratching my head about NFL and MLB (?) statistics, or wondering why I don't know where Ian Botham and Graham Gooch went school, there are other people wondering about football and cricket, conkers and welly chucking.

One thing I would like to see - and it's only a little detail, I think - is US-biased quizzes to be labelled US-biased. Most of the quizzes written by people outside the US are labelled as having a bias towards the country of origin. So far it seems to me that America is the only country not required to do so. Not so that we can back out of it, but so that we have a bit of a clue as to the answer. It would help a lot with things like music, entertainment and word games, at least.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#200941 - Thu Nov 15 2007 05:41 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: lesley153]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
We do require authors to label their quiz if it's country specific, regardless of the country in question. Of course there are many older quizzes that were placed online when the rules weren't as strict as they are now, and they might not have been labeled.

Leau, editor

#200942 - Thu Nov 15 2007 06:20 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Leau]
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Quote:

One thing I would like to see - and it's only a little detail, I think - is US-biased quizzes to be labelled US-biased. Most of the quizzes written by people outside the US are labelled as having a bias towards the country of origin.

Exactly what Leau said:

Quote:

We do require authors to label their quiz if it's country specific, regardless of the country in question. Of course there are many older quizzes that were placed online when the rules weren't as strict as they are now, and they might not have been labeled.

Leau, editor

#200943 - Thu Nov 15 2007 07:23 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: JuniorTheJaws]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Thank you, Leau and Agnes. I'll know next time that unlabelled quizzes are old ones. It's good to know, that the current rules apply to all the countries.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#200944 - Sat Jan 31 2009 07:38 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Linda1]
helenwalland Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: South Normanton Derbyshire UK
This is a very interesting thread; I do think more information could be given at the descriptive stage of a quiz. I always label my quizzes 'UK bias' because I have been frustrated by finding quizzes unlabelled. Recently I did a quiz about a British band, the question was about a song that reached the top ten but the reference was a USA chart - now how am I going to know that unless it is well sign posted?

I am not always sure how much of a UK bias my quizzes have but I think people should be warned.

JuniorThe Jaws can I just say 'Rosa Parkes' to you and also, over here in Great Britain, we include Wales and Scotland in Great Britain.

#200945 - Sat Jan 31 2009 10:59 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: helenwalland]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

over here in Great Britain, we include Wales and Scotland in Great Britain.

We know, it is just that some of the Welsh and Scots didn't want to be lumped in with the UK, they wanted to be in their own countries.

#200946 - Wed Feb 18 2009 12:13 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: sue943]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
My only real pet peeve is when they get into the GC in the numbers they do. I used to play history thinking it would be world history but after a week of getting 13 or more US based questions (I started writing them down) I had to give the catagory up.

But the worst is Geography. It's one of my favourite subjects - US included but I kept getting multiple questions on US state flowers and coins and the like (I cant remember them all now)

To me geography is about cities and rivers and countries and their geographical features. I couldn't name all the capital cities of the US states but I agree that that's a geography question.

I just feel it's a bit of an uneven playing field when so many get into the competition quiz's like the GC and KO.

#200947 - Wed Feb 18 2009 12:43 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Midget40]
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Oh, it gets drastically made up for in the Who Am I? game which is extremely UK-centric. Not many Australians in that game, though, do have to admit that.

- William Blake

#200948 - Wed Feb 18 2009 01:11 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Schoonie101]
Mink Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Devon UK
I have to say that I don't agree that Who Am I? is UK-centric. The choices are often nearly all non-UK people even when the answer IS a UK person so it should be easy to eliminate the ones you do know. In my experience there are plenty of US people in there too, though I would agree that there are fewer people from all other countries included. If you want more non UK/US etc then send in suggestions!

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4