Rules
Terms of Use

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#201049 - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:41 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Rowena8482]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
Quote:

Nightmare is just amazing when it comes to sorting out all the "little niggles" in sports quizzes. I know literally nothing about practically any sport you could name and yet, with his expert help, freely given, I have managed to not only get several sports quizzes online, but actually have two of them "get the thumb". Nightmare was patience itself with me when I asked what I suspect were extremely odd questions, and given the time difference between us went "above and beyond the call of duty" to stop me saying anything that would make me look obviously silly
I wrote the quizzes purely by research rather than knowledge I already had if that makes sense, so the facts were there, but it was definitely Night's help that turned them into readable, playable, and (I fondly hope) interesting quizzes. Nobody need 'fear' having a go at writing sports while he's on the job, if I can do it anyone can!

Most definitely agree. Nightmare is a true sports enthusiast - even if it is cheerleading!

#201050 - Fri Sep 18 2009 09:14 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: jonnowales]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
I have also found Nightmare an excellent editor. He is extremely helpful and somehow manages to 'tell me off' in a way that doesnt make me feel like I am being naughty

In relation to the football discussion, in Australia the only football is AFL (Australian Rules).
But now we arent allowed to call soccer 'soccer', we have to call it 'football'. It gets extremely confusing. Then there are the two versions of rugby that get played here. Technically that is football as well but no-one in their right mind would try to confuse the situation by calling all 4 forms of football 'football'. *sigh*

And Flopsy, if that tour is coming to Australia, we have hardly any ice so you can be pretty safe in the knowledge that what we call hockey over here is 'field hockey'

#201051 - Sat Sep 19 2009 08:16 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Lones78]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:

4 forms of football

Only four?

* Associated (soccer), of which I know that the indoor and field versions have slightly different rules.
    * Gridiron American rules
    * Gridiron Canadian rules
    * Aussie rules
    * Gaelic rules
    * Rugby
    * Rugby Union

and those are just off the top of my head...

#201052 - Sat Sep 19 2009 10:04 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: LeoDaVinci]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

Loc: Leicester England UK      
Quote:

Quote:

4 forms of football

Only four?

* Associated (soccer), of which I know that the indoor and field versions have slightly different rules.
    * Gridiron American rules
    * Gridiron Canadian rules
    * Aussie rules
    * Gaelic rules
    * Rugby
    * Rugby Union

and those are just off the top of my head...

Yes,General,you forgot Table Football,Blow Football and Fantasy Football! LOL! Not to mention XBox,PSP,etc.....

Interesting thing is,only ONE is played predominantly with the Foot/Feet! And only two use a proper foot BALL!

#201053 - Sat Sep 19 2009 10:38 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: REDVIKING57]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Quote:

* Rugby
* Rugby Union

erm... doesn't Rugby = Rugby Union?

Which is not the same thing as Rugby League...

And where will we put Rugby Sevens if it becomes an Olympic sport?

Quote:

And Flopsy, if that tour is coming to Australia, we have hardly any ice so you can be pretty safe in the knowledge that what we call hockey over here is 'field hockey'

I've been to Australia, Leonie. I was taken to the top of Mount Kosciuszko where my friends were ecstatic at the sight of snow... a patch about 8 feet square and six inches deep, and a very dirty brown colour where a lot of excited Aussies had walked all over it, LOL.

#201054 - Sat Sep 19 2009 10:50 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

Quote:

Quote:

And where will we put Rugby Sevens if it becomes an Olympic sport?

Flopsy,being an ardent Football (soccer) fan,do you really want me to tell you where you can put Rugby Sevens? LOL!

#201055 - Sat Sep 19 2009 11:09 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: REDVIKING57]
flopsymopsy Offline

Quote:

Flopsy,being an ardent Football (soccer) fan,do you really want me to tell you where you can put Rugby Sevens? LOL!

ROFL!

Er... since you put it that way, not really! hahaha.

Wot? Not a Tigers fan? Wow, so I can safely say "Go on the Saints!" and not get killed, hurrah!

#201056 - Sat Sep 19 2009 11:28 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
REDVIKING57 Offline
Participant

SHHHH! Bob (RMG) might hear you! He might set his avatar on you! LOL!

#201057 - Sat Sep 19 2009 02:21 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: REDVIKING57]
flopsymopsy Offline

Pfft! I'm not afraid of an avatar whatever it is...

*goes to look at RMG's avatar*

*gulp* Jolly good team, the Leicester Tigers.

#201058 - Sat Sep 19 2009 04:47 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
is there some possible way we could get back "on topic" here? lol

#201059 - Sat Sep 19 2009 05:23 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jakeroo]
flopsymopsy Offline

Oh.

Okay.

Let's talk about why Television questions are so difficult to answer from the other side of an ocean/globe.

I'd say that's the category with some of the most problematic cultural assumptions - and I'm sure it works in many directions.

For example, a question such as "which dog-owning granny from Full House won a daytime Emmy for her nursing duties in General Hospital" is a double whammy for me... I can't watch those programmes, they're just not shown here, so I have no idea what Full House is about, who's in it, what role they played... and ditto for General Hospital plus who is this Emmy when she's at home? Actually I do sort of know the answer to the Emmy bit but only vaguely, she doesn't travel.

In the same way, I wouldn't expect an American to know "Which hapless mechanic from Eastenders developed twinkletoes on Strictly Come Dancing 2009". However, I suspect, hope, that a British quiz writer would know that Americans wouldn't understand the assumption within the question, ie who plays a mechanic in Eastenders, whereas I don't think Americans realise how little of their television is seen outside the US. And I would also expect a British quizwriter to know that Strictly has another name outside the UK and what it is... but perhaps I'm assuming too much there, lol.

Anyway, these are not problems when I'm doing a quiz on a specific show... but they are problems in the hourlies and the GC because there's no time to figure out the many layers of assumptions being made.

So has that stirred the pot enough?

#201060 - Sat Sep 19 2009 06:06 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
We do understand Flopsy, but I think it goes more to quiz writers sometimes thinking their favorite shows are watched by everyone.

I dread the Sports and Television categories the most when playing hardcore, and I watch a decent amount of American T.V. and follow a decent amount of American Sports.

#201061 - Sat Sep 19 2009 06:32 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: BxBarracuda]
PDAZ Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix Arizona USA           
Very guilty about the TV thing. I find it surprising when recent American shows are known overseas (like "How I Met Your Mother"), but I tend to take it for granted that people are familiar with the older US shows. I'm still trying to digest the fact that "The Brady Bunch" isn't internationally-known. You're missing out on the sibling order psychology of "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia"!

#201062 - Sat Sep 19 2009 06:52 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Quote:

So has that stirred the pot enough?

Beautifully, actually - the best bit of pot-stirring I've read this month.

And it explains perfectly, and articulately, why I open so many TV quizzes and then promptly close them again. Questions like "Who had a cup of coffee with George Clooney's character in episode 8, series 82, of ER?" are about as answerable as "Who just missed being 73rd draft for XYZ in 1942?" when you don't even understand what the draft system is about.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#201063 - Sat Sep 19 2009 08:47 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: lesley153]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

are about as answerable as "Who just missed being 73rd draft for XYZ in 1942?" when you don't even understand what the draft system is about.

The draft is no longer done. It was active when we were involved with Viet Nam. The US Government drafted men when they turned 18 years into the military.

Is there any other kind of draft? Well, outside beer/lager?

Like you, I just close sports questions, even the easy quizzes. It really irritates me when I see "here's an easy one!" and I've absolutely no clue what it is about. Television shows after 1965 get the same treatment. My problem is that having lived in Spain for 3 years there are television shows I've never even heard of.

Someone recently asked me if I would be going to the new Dallas Cowboys stadium (also known as Jerry's World). Why in the world would I go see a sporting event when I don't even like American Football! And answer a question about it? In my dreams!

So, being American, I have no clue as to the answers to American sports questions. Hmmm, maybe I should make some questions about sewing and see if Nightmare can answer them!

#201064 - Sat Sep 19 2009 09:54 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jar]
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

Hmmm, maybe I should make some questions about sewing and see if Nightmare can answer them!

Nightmare has neither made or allowed a single question such as the draft pick described. 1)It is too ambiguous and frivolous, and 2)Most college questions are not allowed because they have the least global value in Question Quest. If the question is plucked by the system from a quiz, then point your finger at the system.
And btw, I'm working on a huge paneled bed quilt with only one side left to line stitch.

#201065 - Sun Sep 20 2009 01:31 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Nightmare]
bucknallbabe Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bedfordshire England UK      
I love the phrase "global value" - that's really what we have been talking about. If the Global Challenge, which invites players from all over the world to compete against each other, is to appeal to those players, then the question pool should consist of questions with high rather than low "global value". I think what a lot of us have been saying is that many of the questions on US Sports in the pool are at the lower end of the scale.

#201066 - Sun Sep 20 2009 05:37 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: PDAZ]
flopsymopsy Offline

Quote:

I'm still trying to digest the fact that "The Brady Bunch" isn't internationally-known. You're missing out on the sibling order psychology of "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia"!

I'm not going to tell you what I just had a question about in the GC or what the answer was but thanks so much. LOL!

#201067 - Sun Sep 20 2009 09:04 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Yes, please keep it on topic in this thread since it is an anchored thread and intended to answer various questions.

#201068 - Sun Sep 20 2009 10:41 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: bucknallbabe]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
This is my first time playing hardcore and sports is killing me. It keeps coming up and I've hardly ever qualifyed in it up to level six - I dread the higher divisions.

I'm hopeless on sport from any country but I can at least learn from some questions and get them right if they come up again but I haven't found a way to remember all the statistics questions and jersey numbers and don't think I ever will.

My personal pet hate though is being asked where people I've never heard of (and have no idea what sport they even play) went to college among a list of colleges that I've probably never heard of. Don't know why but that ones always irked me.

#201069 - Sun Sep 20 2009 11:01 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Nightmare]
wayman71 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hamler Ohio USA         
Quote:

Most college questions are not allowed because they have the least global value

And I, for one, thank you for that!

#553775 - Sun Sep 26 2010 04:01 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: wayman71]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I just gave up on the "Globalisation of my Quizzes" thing when I got a message complaining that a quiz with 4 US, 1 Canadian, and one Secretary General of the U.N was too British and the people in it weren't well enough known outside "UK circles". (Of the remaining 4 Qs, 3 were Brits and one was Australian.... sighhhhhhhhh) Is there anything more American than The Jacksons and Baywatch? Someone point me at it if there is laugh

#553796 - Sun Sep 26 2010 08:19 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Rowena8482]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
I would first and foremost consider the source of the note.

I hope the Jacksons and Baywatch aren't considered typical of America, but I guess I shouldn't be suprised if that is how America is viewed around the world.

#553835 - Sun Sep 26 2010 11:42 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: BxBarracuda]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
When I write my quizzes, I tend to focus on more than my home country (Belgium). Otherwise my quizzes would all be rated poorly.

#553873 - Sun Sep 26 2010 05:43 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: JanIQ]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Most of my quizzes have focussed on my home state of Western Australia, and I would hope that people would try them in the same spirit that I try the American or UK based quizzes - to learn something.
Having said that, I would not attempt an American or UK based sports or TV quiz, as I have no interest in either topic in ANY country.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4