Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#820153 - Fri Aug 31 2012 02:01 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: english_gent]
Happy Birthday guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: english_gent
Yes, this site is an american based one, but when the site is on the internet, the 'home' location becomes meaningless, and especially when one pays for membership, then surely one is allowed to post his/her suggestions and opinions???

The quote "the customer is king" is valid in most businesses and as this site offers membership, then desite whatever reasons that brought it about, to ensure the growth of the site, opinions surely matter.

Of course you're allowed to post suggestions and opinions, it's really just that this subject has been complained about to death for 10 years, and honestly I think it is one of those things that doesn't really have a solution. Writing more quizzes on other topics can HELP (after all, the system can't give you more non-US questions on a topic like say, Television Mixture if there are little to no non-US questions in the database) but ultimately, I think that's just the way she goes.

Being on the 'worldwide web' doesn't mean every site is international. It means people from around the world can access it, but that doesn't mean it needs to cater to every person's whim. There are TONS of American-owned sites that people from other countries can use or visit but are "discriminated" against in favour of Americans.

I get what you're saying, it can be a bit irritating to feel excluded based on citizenship. belong to a cooking website that is American based and I pay a fee for extended membership there. As an American site, they've offered some stuff that I'm simply not eligible for, as a Canadian. Do you know how many countless American sites I happen upon when looking for products to end up being disappointed that they refuse to ship things to Canada? What good would it do complaining about it though? It's the prerogative of the site owners to offer what they offer.

I think FT is one of the best sites I visit in terms of being less American-centric. We'll accept millions and millions of British (or whatever) themed questions if people submit them, and I disagree that a solution is needed to having largely American topics in the database. You can't please all the people all of them time. Every desire of groups of members on this site cannot be met or catered too, and there's no requirement anywhere that says it should be. Frankly sometimes I think it's annoying enough that quizzes need to be tailored to daily/hourly game play at all. And if major changes WERE made, then you'd have the Americans up in arms about not knowing anything about Australian topics.

This subject has been beaten like a thrice-dead horse and personally I feel it's time to say, Everyone from anywhere is welcome to join in, but this is how the site is. It's up to you to decide if you want to participate or not.

#820161 - Fri Aug 31 2012 02:58 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: guitargoddess]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
So I suppose this wouldn't be a good time to suggest renaming the 'Movies' category as 'Films'?

#820162 - Fri Aug 31 2012 03:04 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: dippo]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Funny you should say that, but I quite often think of Movies as Films myself. (The humour lies in the fact that I'm a Movies editor smile )

#820187 - Fri Aug 31 2012 05:29 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: dippo]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: dippo
So I suppose this wouldn't be a good time to suggest renaming the 'Movies' category as 'Films'?

If we're going to do that I think it should be as the old-fashioned "Filums". Or even "The Flicks" I still say, on the odd occasion, that I'm going to the "the flicks". wink

Edited by Tizzabelle (Fri Aug 31 2012 05:30 PM)

#820236 - Sat Sep 01 2012 12:55 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Tizzabelle]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
If Movies becomes "The Flicks", can we also rename Television as "The Goggle Box" (as opposed to the internet which is the "Google Box").

#820270 - Sat Sep 01 2012 03:48 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Tizzabelle]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
Originally Posted By: dippo

If we're going to do that I think it should be as the old-fashioned "Filums". Or even "The Flicks" I still say, on the odd occasion, that I'm going to the "the flicks". wink

How about renaming it 'The Pictures'? laugh

#820272 - Sat Sep 01 2012 04:06 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: dsimpy]
KayceeKool Online   content
Participant

Loc: Hermanus
South Africa
My late mother-in-law always used to refer to it as "The Bioscope" grin

#820277 - Sat Sep 01 2012 04:39 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: KayceeKool]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Charge-coupled motion capture (Sees Emcee for short) since celluloid film will soon be a technology of the past as digital storage becomes universal.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Sep 01 2012 04:39 AM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#820278 - Sat Sep 01 2012 04:54 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: mehaul]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
In Australia in the 50s & 60s, it was "going to the pictures"...my city cousins used to talk about going and i used to wonder what the pictures were of !
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#820298 - Sat Sep 01 2012 06:49 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: tezza1551]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
We called it "going to the show" when I was a kid in south-western Ontario in that same era.

#820302 - Sat Sep 01 2012 07:23 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: spanishliz]

My dad still calls it that, Liz.

#820342 - Sat Sep 01 2012 09:41 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: tezza1551]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Originally Posted By: tezza1551
In Australia in the 50s & 60s, it was "going to the pictures"...my city cousins used to talk about going and i used to wonder what the pictures were of !

I hear that quite a bit still here in the UK, including from my family. smile

#820345 - Sat Sep 01 2012 10:01 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: reeshy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I certainly used to say it, I rarely go these days so don't say anything but I guess I could when not thinking just say the pictures.

#820411 - Sat Sep 01 2012 09:35 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: rossian]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: rossian
I mostly find the balance of questions works out. In KO, or the Daily Game, there is usually one US sport or geography question which I struggle with but often balanced out by a UK question which I know, but would probably cause more difficulty to an American player. This doesn't always happen, but occurs often enough for me to think that Terry has tried to build this in to the database selection.

Getting the balance right isn't easy. I've written several UK specific quizzes and also mixtures. Even then some players complain. I've had notes saying that the player doesn't like UK and US hits being covered in the same quiz, or complaining that a quiz should have been labelled 'UK specific' because of one, very small, reference.

And let me add that just because one is from the US, it doesn't necessarily help on the US-based sport questions (I'm hopeless at sports, so it wouldn't matter what country they were from, I'm out).

Sue

#820415 - Sat Sep 01 2012 10:12 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: shuehorn]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Sue, I agree. I can get very basic questions about the rules of ice hockey, but that's pretty much it, for sports. Might as well ask me about cricket as Canadian sports, they are all a mystery to me.

#820418 - Sat Sep 01 2012 10:47 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: agony]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Spanishliz, going to "the show" conjures up a very different image for me. "The Show" was our local Agricultural Show, where Dad and Uncle Don won ribbons for their wool, and Mum judged the Handicraft sections, and won prizes for her knitting & cooking while my aunt won in the flower section, and occasionally, I won a ribbon or two in the Riding classes.

The half a dozen stalls that made up Sideshow Alley were fascinating.. fifty years later, I still remember going through the Haunted House with my cousins, and while we weren't allowed to go in, the boxers from George Stewart' troupe used to stand outside and challenge the locals... the Octopus, Merry Go Round & Ferris Wheel...

You saw everyone there, from the local member of Parliament to neighbours and friends, to cousins you only saw once a year... everyone went to the Show.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#822568 - Wed Sep 12 2012 03:40 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: tezza1551]
english_gent Offline
Participant

Loc: Dartmouth Devon England UK
Just briefly wishing to state this concerning my idea I mentioned recently and that people said would be difficult to implement.

I've spoken to a friend of mine who's well versed in all things website authoring, and he stated that it would be a relative easy thing to do.

All new quizzes (either individual questions or quizzes as a whole) can have an extra field for geographical location to enter by the quiz author, as I originally thought.

As regards to the questions already submitted - he said that people taking the quizzes can enter a 'geographical tags' after quizzes are completed (akin to error report submissions) for an incentive of say, 1 point per question tagged with a country.

The backlog of questions will eventually get tagged over time and saves admin having to do this.

So, I guess it is technically possible to implement such a system, but judging by the 'tone' of the posts here, there would appear to be no desire to level the playing field regards question bias towards any one particular country.

#822605 - Wed Sep 12 2012 07:52 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: english_gent]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Just briefly wishing to state this concerning my idea I mentioned recently and that people said would be difficult to implement.

I've spoken to a friend of mine who's well versed in all things website authoring, and he stated that it would be a relative easy thing to do.

All new quizzes (either individual questions or quizzes as a whole) can have an extra field for geographical location to enter by the quiz author, as I originally thought.

As regards to the questions already submitted - he said that people taking the quizzes can enter a 'geographical tags' after quizzes are completed (akin to error report submissions) for an incentive of say, 1 point per question tagged with a country.

The backlog of questions will eventually get tagged over time and saves admin having to do this.

So, I guess it is technically possible to implement such a system, but judging by the 'tone' of the posts here, there would appear to be no desire to level the playing field regards question bias towards any one particular country.

Quick question. What happens when there's a quiz with zero country bias? Nothing to tag in that case.

#822685 - Wed Sep 12 2012 11:22 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: kaddarsgirl]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
A similar issue could arise if the quiz consists of a mixture of different countries, such as is frequently the case in some Geography subcategories.

#822712 - Wed Sep 12 2012 12:43 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: english_gent]
trident Offline
Prolific

Loc: Wisconsin USA

I don't think it's a matter so much of not wanting to "level the playing field". I think it would be great if we had more questions in the pools involving countries other than the U.S. But as editors and Terry (as the site administrator), we only receive content that is then put through an editing process and published online. We don't demand that more British or Australian or Canadian or South African, etc. quizzes be published. It is up to the quiz-writers to decide on what they want to write.

In terms of the technically possible, there is likely a way to implement such a system, but who knows how involved such an implementation would take when there is not a terrific demand for such a thing. I, for one, would prefer the webmaster to spend his time designing new games and concepts for the site than to create a complete overhaul of the system.

There is a notion out there that Americans can be self-involved and not care about other cultures, "America-centricity," if you would. But I don't think that is what is going on here. Instead, we simply have to deal with what we get in terms of submissions. If the majority of them deal with American topics, then the majority of questions you will get will be related to American topics. It's an old chestnut when we say "well, write more non-American topics!" But it is true. Our quiz-writers determine our content.

Might I suggest an alternative to the personal "you should write more quizzes" approach. The following link is to the Quiz Author Lounge which is a board that is meant to better our quizzes and their standards. I am sure that if you get a community of quiz-makers to help submit quizzes on non-American topics, it will be much more effective in terms of leveling the playing field than an odd algorithm that may produce wild results and end up as more work for the editors:

http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?boardid=2222222

Editor: World and General

#822738 - Wed Sep 12 2012 02:39 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: trident]
english_gent Offline
Participant

@ kaddersgirl - I guess it would be deemed to be geographically free so could be used as a wildcard so to speak.

I'm just voicing my opinion is all.

There will always be more American related questions here than any other country, but that isn't the point of my idea.

My idea was to ensure, for the daily/hourly games (and global challenges - where I have come across an inordinate amount of MLB questions as bonus subjects to the point that it is taking the michael) where such quizzes do not have any bias towards any one country.

Getting more non-american questions isn't the short-term answer, addressing the issue of changing the formula used in selecting the quizzes is.

#822744 - Wed Sep 12 2012 02:55 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: english_gent]

But bias itself is biased. Questions you deem as "too American" may not be so to other people. As it was pointed out above (somewhere), just because a quiz is on an American topic doesn't mean that other people don't know about it. American TV shows for example. People all around the world have seen 'Friends'. Excluding those questions (or many of them) from an hourly quiz where the topic is Television isn't going to please everyone around the world. And there are many Americans who are as clueless about MLB as you are.

#822748 - Wed Sep 12 2012 03:00 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: english_gent]
Happy Birthday AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Never mind "the answer" - I don't think that there's a problem. I don't think that there's anything wrong with the majority of questions being American and I don't think that there's anything wrong with more American questions turning up in hourlies.

Sure, we all get frustrated when we get questions on what number shirt some American football player wore on some random game, but we get these types of obscure and, in some cases, completely useless questions from all different countries. "Who got eliminated in the 3rd week of Big Brother?", "Which person won a gold medal in the 1944 Olympics for Australia in 100m freestyle?" etc.

I don't like the idea of calling my question English, or American or even "geographically free". It doesn't seem like it's a worthwhile thing. In some quizzes, people will state in the intro "Note: American/English/Canadian etc. bias". I think that is sufficient enough. In hourlies, it is and always has been complete luck with what questions you get and that is perfectly fine.

EDIT: I didn't see guitargoddess' post before I wrote this, but I completely agree with it. Look at my avatar and my signature. You can see that I like "The Simpsons". I am English. What country is "The Simpsons" made and set in? It's definitely not England and not even in Europe.

Edited by AdamM7 (Wed Sep 12 2012 03:03 PM)

~(_8(I)

#822947 - Thu Sep 13 2012 02:07 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: AdamM7]
english_gent Offline
Participant

I get your point AdamM7, and always have done - I even pointed that out in a previous post.

But to my mind, there is an issue of fairness, however different people perceive it.

For example, if we have two teams competing in a quiz over three rounds (say USA Vs Europe). It would be deemed fair to have round 1 on American subjects, Round 2 on European, and round 3 on various subjects.

Not to have all three rounds on American subjects, which is 'similar' to what I (and I alone) notice about the daily/hourly games. Yes there are non-American questions appearing (obscure or otherwise) but the FREQUENCY of american questions that occurs is alarmingly slanted.

It is an exagerated point I make here but one which somewhat makes my point clearer to a degree.

(on another point - attempting the UK Hourly quizzes brings up some extremely NON-UK questions which leaves me gobsmacked as how they could be classed as UK but thats another whinge I have.)

I freely admit that I'm not the best at answering quizzes but I do want to get to the top level of the Global Challenge, and just want to have a fair crack at it which isn't what I perceive to be getting.

Judging by what I have seen, this is a subject that WILL be picked up every now and then (and yes, people will always choose what quizzes THEY want to tackle) but when it comes to the daily/hourly quizzes, I guess everyone will just have to put up with the bias that is there whether they like it or not - it is something which becomes clearer by the day that will simply not be addressed.

#823018 - Thu Sep 13 2012 07:08 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: english_gent]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
english_gent, there will most likely always be more US-based question due to the majority of members hailing from the US. I am also in that count, but I did author a quiz that covered a subject from Canada, the UK, and Australia, with only one US-based question in it, so American authors can do other subjects, but as we know US-based facts and figures moreso than anything else, there will be more US-based questions. I'll know more about baseball than I will cricket (I still wonder how one person scores 200 or more runs in cricket), and more about gridiron football than soccer. It doesn't mean I can't learn other subjects, whether it be UK, Australia, France, etc.

I cannot remember where the post is, but someone posted that about 55% of the membership or people that peruse this site are from the US. Looking at the alexa site, today shows 46.2% are from the US (see here).

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
People all around the world have seen 'Friends'. Excluding those questions (or many of them) from an hourly quiz where the topic is Television isn't going to please everyone around the world. And there are many Americans who are as clueless about MLB as you are.

I am the reverse of this. I know far more about MLB than I do Friends. I barely know who played on the show (I'm not sure I can even name all six), much less who played which character.

Edited by dg_dave (Thu Sep 13 2012 07:10 AM)

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4