Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#200949 - Wed Feb 18 2009 01:19 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Mink]
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Yeah, but the US people are generally people like Tiger Woods, Robert DeNiro, and Ronald Reagan. As opposed to some random MP, cricket/soccer player, or broadcaster from the 40s.

Generally, I've found that UK people make up about 8-9 out of the 15.

Are suggestions currently open for submittal? I thought that was closed out for the time being.

- William Blake

#200950 - Wed Feb 18 2009 01:43 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Schoonie101]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
Isn't jmelston in charge of that one? Perhaps you could PM him and see. It was open for a while for people to submit on the chatboards, but not that many people took up the offer.

Such additions as were offered were added pretty much immediately. However, the advice to those who mention the americacentricity of quizzes has always been to go and make your own. I've created quite a few. Some, but by no means all, have a UK slant. However, the majority are from 2006 onwards. Until recently, there hasn't been a shake up in the question pools for around two years. Obviously, I don't make quizzes just to get them in the tournaments, but anyone who did so would be sorely disappointed.

Anyhoo, I don't see how one game makes up for the globals and all the other hourlies!

Just a thought, but do Americans all know all 50 state mammals, birds, gemstones, cooking pots, etc?

#200951 - Wed Feb 18 2009 05:31 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: supersal1]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
  Washington USA   
Quote:

Just a thought, but do Americans all know all 50 state mammals, birds, gemstones, cooking pots, etc?

I certainly don't -- most of those are as hard for me (lived in the U.S. all my life) as they are for you! There are a couple of states that have sort of famous State Whatevers, especially songs, and I know a fair number of state mottos and nicknames because the state often puts them on license plates, so you get reminded of them on the roads. But the official state coin, insect, flower and whatever-the-heck-else? I don't think there are very many who keep track, and I couldn't name any of them for my own state.

#200952 - Wed Feb 18 2009 05:45 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: supersal1]
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Isn't jmelston in charge of that one? Perhaps you could PM him and see. It was open for a while for people to submit on the chatboards, but not that many people took up the offer.

Such additions as were offered were added pretty much immediately. However, the advice to those who mention the americacentricity of quizzes has always been to go and make your own. I've created quite a few. Some, but by no means all, have a UK slant. However, the majority are from 2006 onwards. Until recently, there hasn't been a shake up in the question pools for around two years. Obviously, I don't make quizzes just to get them in the tournaments, but anyone who did so would be sorely disappointed.

Anyhoo, I don't see how one game makes up for the globals and all the other hourlies!

Thanks.

Actually, I think the general quizzes are fine. I can't say I've really run into a major skew on the Global Challenge, even on the Geography. They're ALL hard!

Know 50 state mammals, etc.? Not me. Outside of California, I do know that Idaho likes potatoes but beyond that? Sheesh - not a chance!

- William Blake

#200953 - Wed Feb 18 2009 05:45 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: CellarDoor]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I'm puzzled by the state drinks being mostly innocuous liquids such as milk.
Or lemonade.
It somehow doesn't seem very honest when I know you must have as many varieties of home brew and wines as we do over here.

#200954 - Wed Feb 18 2009 06:10 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jabberwok]
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I'm puzzled by the state drinks being mostly innocuous liquids such as milk.
Or lemonade.
It somehow doesn't seem very honest when I know you must have as many varieties of home brew and wines as we do over here.

You're not the only one! Wisconsin state beverage being milk? Hmm. I've wondered about that. Granted, Mickeys is probably the best beer that comes out of that state (Milwaukee's Best aka BEAST is not much in the way of competition) but that place is brewery central.

Then again, what do I know?

- William Blake

#200955 - Wed Feb 18 2009 06:31 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Schoonie101]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Milk as Wisconsin's state beverage makes sense to me.. isn't that like The Dairy State or something? They've got a lot of cows.. and they're Cheeseheads, so milk isn't that puzzling.

#200956 - Wed Feb 18 2009 06:45 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: guitargoddess]
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

True true. But I'd bet more beer gets consumed there than milk!

- William Blake

#200957 - Wed Feb 18 2009 09:42 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: CellarDoor]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Quote:

Quote:

I certainly don't -- most of those are as hard for me (lived in the U.S. all my life) as they are for you! There are a couple of states that have sort of famous State Whatevers, especially songs, and I know a fair number of state mottos and nicknames because the state often puts them on license plates, so you get reminded of them on the roads. But the official state coin, insect, flower and whatever-the-heck-else? I don't think there are very many who keep track, and I couldn't name any of them for my own state.

Very well stated. I have no idea of the majority of these, and I guess (usually not very well) when they come up...

Sue

#200958 - Thu Feb 19 2009 05:41 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: shuehorn]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Well, as to milk and Wisconsin - obviously I've learned the answer since, but the first time I saw the question, all I thought of was "What made Milwaukee famous, made a loser out of me" - and that wasn't milk!

#200959 - Thu Feb 19 2009 06:11 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Yes, but...
http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_beverages.htm

only one state owning up to an alcoholic state drink?
Well done Alabama!

#200960 - Thu Feb 19 2009 06:23 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jabberwok]
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

Yes, but...
http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_beverages.htm

only one state owning up to an alcoholic state drink?
Well done Alabama!

Milk is pretty over-represented.. don't you Americans drink anything else?

#200961 - Thu Feb 19 2009 09:08 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: guitargoddess]
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

Milk is pretty over-represented.. don't you Americans drink anything else?

I've never even heard of such a thing as State Beverage before...but I'm in complete agreement, what's up with all the milk?!

This is more to my taste, I didn't realize it was tied to my state, but I do love Dr. Pepper.
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/national_drink_of_texas_dr_pepper/

#200962 - Thu Feb 19 2009 10:37 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: darthrevan89]
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock Illinois USA        
Kentucky has milk instead of bourbon?
Jack Daniels distillery must be crushed.

As you see, Americans aren't at an advantage. I know my state stuff and I usually guess wrong at the others. I also don't know any sports on all the continents.

#200963 - Fri Feb 20 2009 03:22 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: wdstk]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Maybe the question should be - Why are they included in the geography quizzes then? or does geography itself have a different slant meaning in different countries (thats a serious question by the way).

As I stated previously my understanding of geography is the geographical features of a place - towns, rivers, mountains, climate etc

Re the "Who Am I?" From an impartial non UK/US based player I would say they were fairly even in representation of questions. My brain switches back and forth from 'US' to 'UK'. If you belong to one of those countries I think you only notice the ones that AREN'T from your coutry rather than the ones that are.

#200964 - Fri Feb 20 2009 03:26 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Midget40]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Sorry cant help laughing - just did the Hourly Expert game after writing that.

The topic says "This Hour: States & Cities (History)"

Imagine my surprise when all 15 were on US states and cities.

That really should have 'US' in front of it. I'm not sure how many countries around the world have states but I know for sure Australia does

#200965 - Fri Feb 20 2009 08:42 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Midget40]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Well, where would you suggest questions like that be put, within the larger categories of FT?

If you were to be working toward your BA in Geography, you would not be limiting yourself to studying physical features of the landscape. Geography also encompasses *human* geography - I'll quote the Wiki article here: "a branch of geography that focuses on the study of patterns and processes that shape human interaction with various environments." A big part of that is what is called "Cultural Geography", and things like state birds fall into that category.

There certainly are too many questions of that type in our question pool, but that has more to do with them being easy to write and research, than anything else. Those categories are closed to new quizzes and have been for ages.

#200966 - Fri Feb 20 2009 10:25 AM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: agony]
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
When I studied Geography in High School a few years ago, I was quite surprised to find that it was not so much about rivers, mountains, etc. I, actually, would've called it history: a history of the governments, cultures, etc.

#200967 - Fri Feb 20 2009 12:10 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: darthrevan89]
guitargoddess Offline

Well that's why history and geography often 'go together'. Most of my teachers from elementary school to high school taught both of those subjects, rather than one or the other. I believe, even at my university, if you are studying for a B.A. in Geography, there are a couple of required history courses that you have to take (I think Environmental History is one of them). Not the other way around though - I'm not required to take Geo classes for my history degree. However, if I wanted to, some history courses count as pre-requisites for geography courses.

And about the state bird/state beverage/etc questions in Geography quizzes: I agree that some of those questions belong in the Geography category. For example, if you were writing a quiz on the state of California, you might have 4 questions about individual cities, 2 questions about rivers, 1 about mountains, 1 about a beach or something, then maybe 2 asking for the official State Whatever. That makes sense. I think, however, if you were writing an entire quiz on State Birds, would that not go under General -> USA Specific? (assuming those kinds of questions weren't restricted)

#200968 - Fri Feb 20 2009 03:13 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: agony]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Actually I kind of stuffed up here by following up a previous post I made about not really caring in the quiz's but not liking them in the GC and KO etc

As far as quiz catagories go I don't have a problem with them being put in the Geography section under a sub catagory.

I was still on the fact that I don't think they should be in the GC geography questions when it's a world wide contest and sometimes you could get 10 out of fifteen questions on a 'state something'.

I say I stuffed up because, of course, this is really on the quiz's not the challenges but it's hard to seperate them on an issue like this

#200969 - Fri Feb 20 2009 03:35 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Midget40]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
In France, I believe they combine history and geography into one phrase:

L'histoire-géo

Whether or not they are taught as two separate subjects my memory unfortunately lets me down

#200970 - Fri Feb 20 2009 03:38 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Midget40]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

I sometimes smile when I do a quiz on World Geography or World History that is 2/3 USA.
I just assume that for some, the States is a synonym for World.
It's one of the things that makes the Americacentricity of the site interesting, a possible insight into a different culture and a different way of seeing.

#200971 - Fri Feb 20 2009 04:50 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: Jabberwok]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Perhaps I'm beating a overworn drum here, but the questions are drawn from the quiz pool and if there are more American based quizzes than not, what are we supposed to do?
As has been said many times, if you want a better showing of non-American questions, write the quizzes!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#200972 - Fri Feb 20 2009 05:37 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: skunkee]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
That is a fair point, but it's not as if new quizzes go straight into the cache for tournaments. I know Terry has recently expanded the pools, but the vast majority of questions still come from quizzes written between 2000-2004.

#200973 - Fri Feb 20 2009 06:22 PM Re: "Americacentricity" of quizzes [Re: supersal1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I think all the caches are up to date now, which means most of the questions are from recent (ish) quizzes. The number of quizzes going online has generally increased every year.

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4