Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#206726 - Sat Dec 27 2003 06:24 PM Christmas Presents
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Well my christmas stocking was well stacked - My usual Trivia/Quiz Books for the collection plus "The Essential Spike Milligan" and the "Autobiography of Martin Johnson".
What did you receive?

#206727 - Sat Dec 27 2003 11:53 PM Re: Christmas Presents
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I got a copy of an edition of Little Women which I had as a little girl. Somewhere during our childhood, the copy which had been given to my little sister and I drifted off, so my little sister, thinking it especially appropriate now that I have a daughter of my own, found a copy of the same edition. My husband and I each got a $25 gift card to Barnes and Nobel book store. AND, my daughter was given copies of several Dr. Suess books, including One Fish, Two Fish. (One Fish Two Fish is one of my favorites, and one I didn't have among the dozen or so on the bookshelves, so Grandma and Grandpa made sure my daughter got a copy of it.)

#206728 - Sun Dec 28 2003 01:54 AM Re: Christmas Presents
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I suppose you can count this as a gift . I went to an incredibly cheap warehouse sale just before Christmas, and bought several books as presents, mainly for children. I treated myself to two books as well:
A History of London by Stephen Inwood
Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester
Both great. Thanks Ren.

#206729 - Sun Dec 28 2003 05:20 AM Re: Christmas Presents
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I received the following:

"Blowfly" (by Patricia Cornwell)

"Death’s Acre" (Bill Bass & Jon Jefferson)- the true story of "The Body Farm", made famous by Patricia Cornwell's book of the same name.

"The Touch" (by Colleen McCullough)

"Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" (by Lynne Truss) - a humorous look at the basics of punctuation (the perfect gift for a FunTrivia Literature editor).

#206730 - Sun Dec 28 2003 05:25 AM Re: Christmas Presents
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
While on the subject of books, I have to brag about my excellent bargain. My friend is an aircraft fanatic, as well as a book-lover. I found an Encyclopaedia of Aircraft (new) for $35 in a clearance sale. The recommended retail price is $209. The local second-hand bookstore has a second-hand copy (in excellent condition) for $150. Good bargain, huh? My friend was thrilled with his Christmas present.

#206731 - Sun Dec 28 2003 06:00 AM Re: Christmas Presents
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
The 3 books I got this Xmas were Goethe's "Faust", the Oxford Dictionary of Allusions and "I Can't Go On, I'll Go On: A Samuel Beckett Reader". All trade paperbacks.

tjoeb};>

#206732 - Sun Dec 28 2003 06:26 AM Re: Christmas Presents
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
I got a book about English Castles..excellent narrative.

------------
Agnes (JTJ)

#206733 - Mon Dec 29 2003 11:31 AM Re: Christmas Presents
Mysterious_Misty Offline
Enthusiast

My stocking sure was stuffed...I think I'll leave off the authors for convenience.

Cry, the Beloved Country
Forbidden City
Witch Child
Brides of Eden (true story concerning how a religious cult came to be. Quite scary!)
One-Eyed Cat (children/young adult literature, but it's won tons of awards and is by one of my favorite authors, so I had to check it out.)
Mary, Queen of Scots (fascinating )

Needless to say I'm in heaven at the moment!

#206734 - Mon Dec 29 2003 01:13 PM Re: Christmas Presents
sebastiancat Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Santa (and my husband) were exceptionally good to me this year. I got a coffee table book about Dragons, Good Fairies/Bad Fairies and a whole slew of fiction/non-fiction books that should keep me occupied for a few weeks!

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom