Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#207696 - Tue Jan 06 2004 04:03 PM Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA†Australia††††††
THey say everybody has one book in them. What's yours? Ok if you gonna write one i gotta reccomend not to give away the story. On the other hand for those of us who aint....

I have a story idea about a group of the world's most powerful tycoons getting together and thru various deceits and manipulations introduce the a messiah or the second coming to mankind. This messiah believes in himself, he performs miracles which unknown to him are staged. Unbeknownst to him his actions and those of both his followers and those that rally against him play right into the hands of the tycoons, as they had always planned. Think a darker version of Ben Elton's Stark.

#207697 - Tue Jan 06 2004 08:27 PM Re: Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
They say most first novels are autobiographical (saves you thinking of a story as well) and I would probably start with a journey through my life, with book one my love life. Little success, but plenty of material. And also a mystery novel as why I'm not yet married is a mystery to me, at least.
I regularly did similar stories at school, and if I was offered a publishing deal I'd start one tomorrow.

Edited by satguru (Tue Jan 06 2004 08:30 PM)

UN IPCC

#207698 - Tue Jan 06 2004 09:54 PM Re: Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I don't have any novels in me. I have a whole plethora of childrens' books. And I'm still considering actually publishing a few of them, so mum's the word.

#207699 - Wed Jan 07 2004 08:16 AM Re: Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
sebastiancat Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania†USA
Ooh ooh Lothruin, you and I should compare notes. A friend of mine and I managed to write a children's book and our now just trying to put it together and get it illustrated.

#207700 - Wed Jan 07 2004 10:34 AM Re: Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
There's a great book available, called something like "How to write children's books" or something along those lines. A new edition is published every year, and includes names, contacts and addresses of publishers, as well as the types of books in which each publisher is interested. They also give helpful tips and lots of other good info. One thing that sticks out in my memory from browsing the edition from two years ago is the following:

Most publishers prefer to find their own illustrators unless the author themselves is an illustrator. (Or, in my case, my mother is considering illustrating my books, and they would most likely make special allowances for a mother/daughter team.) They suggest you submit a book without illustrations, so the publishers, who have "favorite" illustrators, can get an idea of who they'd like to have illustrate it without having a preconceived notion.

#207701 - Thu Jan 08 2004 04:40 PM Re: Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Well, I've written two novels. Both are original sequels to Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," though they tend to focus on characters of my own creation, and would fit more widely into the genre of Regency Drama than into the category of mere sequel. I had a lot of fun writing them, and I am currently seeking a publisher for one title. One title is also available as a download from my website in e-book form. (Shameless plug.)

Edited by skylarb (Wed Feb 11 2004 01:05 PM)

#207702 - Sat Jan 31 2004 07:56 AM Re: Everyone's got a novel in them. What's yours?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Nevr wrote a full book but used to enjoy writing my only versions of Enid Blyton books etc when I was younger, and typing them up on a manual typewriter after writing them in long hand!

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom