Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#220544 - Mon Apr 05 2004 08:23 AM I Need a Good Book
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Have you ever read a book (or in my case a series of books) that was so good that anything else you read after it seems to pale in comparison? Or you can't seem to get involved with another one? I have been reading since I was a little girl and I have always had a book going. I have read hundreds if not thousands of books, but since I finished reading this series in December, I cannot seem to get interested in anything else. I have started at least 5 different books and I can't get through them to the end. So unusual for me.

I need a really fantastic read, one that starts off with a bang and keeps me interested. I'll read about all subjects, but I'm not a big fan of romance (although I have read a few good ones).

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? What did you do to get beyond the hump? Do you have any recommendations?

#220545 - Mon Apr 05 2004 08:59 AM Re: I Need a Good Book
sebastiancat Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
I'm an avid reader and always on the lookout for a new author to read, new series to discover. I get ideas from friends who want to pass along a good book; I do a lot of online shopping, and with Amazon.com they supply recommendations based on prior purchases. I've found some great books that way. Even in this forum there are some great choice. I've read thru Top 5 SF/Fantasy selections and made notes of books to try. I participate in the Book Club as well. Not all books that are recommended are selected, but I take note of titles that I would like to read, or ones I had been meaning to read but forgot about.

I guess it also depends on what type of book you like to read. For myself personally I've been having fun with two mystery series. One is by Elizabeth Peters and it is the Amelia Peabody series. She could be described as a married and female Indiana Jones. There is also a gritty series written by Dennis Lehane (author of Mystic River) that features Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro and is set in Boston.

#220546 - Mon Apr 05 2004 11:43 AM Re: I Need a Good Book
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I would recommend the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Of course, you have to like the whole vampires and werewolves thing to really enjoy them.

They do kind of fall flat in the middle like the Scarpetta books we had discussed earlier, but they don't go quite as far off the deep end.

Oh, the Discworld Series by Pratchett is great too. If you like really funny books, give him a try.

#220547 - Mon Apr 05 2004 12:49 PM Re: I Need a Good Book
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
The series I just completed was Lee Child's books about former military policeman, Jack Reacher. He has seven books out now, with an eighth one due soon. They are of a murder/mystery type and his writing style is far superior to many authors I've read of late. The people I've passed these books to have complained that they are neglecting their work, families, other obligations , because once you start them they are sooo hard to put down. I think I've mentioned him here before, but wondered if anyone here has read the series.

Quote:

Oh, the Discworld Series by Pratchett is great too. If you like really funny books, give him a try.

Maybe a funny book is what I need to get jump-started. What section of the bookstore would I find these?

#220548 - Mon Apr 05 2004 12:58 PM Re: I Need a Good Book
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
ClaraSue,

You'd find those books in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section. They really are quite funny, be sure to read the footnotes you'll be glad you did.

#220549 - Mon Apr 05 2004 01:19 PM Re: I Need a Good Book
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've read a couple of the Jack Reacher books, I thought they were good, but didn't really grab me. My husband has read them all, though. Have you read John Sandford's "Prey" books? They had kind of the same feel to them. I also second the recommendation of Dennis Lehane's series books. I think he's grown beyond them now, his last two non series books were fantastic, and moving away from the genre into something else, this is a writer to watch. James W Hall and Robert Crais are also good writers, rather than just "bestseller" writers.
You might want to read the first half dozen or so of Robert B Parker's "Spenser" books, if you haven't read them already, they had a nice light breeziness to them along with a good story. If you want to read a funny book and stay sort of in the Mystery/Thriller, (as opposed to Mystery/Cosy) genre, try Lawrence Block's "Burglar" books, or Donald E. Westlake's "Dortmunder" series.
I assume, since you like this genre, that you have read Elmore Leonard, Ed McBain, and Sue Grafton? Another series that I always lump with Reacher in my mind is the one about the detective from Boston who talks to his dead wife, but the name escapes me now. You might like Harlen Coben's books, the series ones are easier to jump right into.
This is the type of stuff I like to read, did you guess?

#220550 - Mon Apr 05 2004 05:19 PM Re: I Need a Good Book
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Another one that would be right up your alley is "Keeping Watch" by Laurie King. She has two other series going, but this book is the one that a Jack Reacher fan would like. I learned about this book from a quiz in quizzyland, by the way. Doing Lit quizzes is a great way to find books that you might like!

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom