1. Gold alloys are used to make jewelery are measured by a symbol, such as 18K, indicating karats. What is used as a measure or the karats for pure gold?
2. Inthe musical time signature 3/4, the 3 indicates three beats each measure. What does the 4 indicate?
3. The number 4 is significant in naming a female horse. A filly is a female horse less than 4 years old. What is the name given to a female horse more than 4 years old?
4. Relative humidity is given a percentage, such as 45%. The percentage gives the ratio of what two measurements?
5. One of the numbers used to describe photographic film is an ASA number, such as ASA 100 or ASA 200. What dose the ASA number indicate?
6. The size of a shotgun is given in terms of its guage. What is the meaning to 12 guage?
7. The pH number is used to discuss acid rain and to indicate whether soil is acidic or alkaline. A neutral solution that is neither acidic nor alkaline has what pH number?
8. In human beings, each cell (except the egg and sperm cells) contain how many chromosomes?
9. New air conditioners ordinarily have a tag with an EER ratingm such as 8.0 EER. EER stands for energy efficiency ratio, so that 8.0 should be interpreted as the ratio 8:1. What does each of the two numbers in the ratio represent?
10. On many ships, time is signaled by the ship's bell. What is the significance of eight bells?
11. A hurricane has wind speeds of 117 km/h and above (more than 74 mph). What is the name given to winds with wind speeds of 39-49 km/h (21-31 mph)?
12. Oil production is generally measured in barrels. One barrel of oil contains how many litres (or gallons)?
13. Passenger ships are usually measured in terms of gross tonnage, which is a measure of volume rather than weight. What does it mean to say that the gross tonnage of a ship is 20 000?
14. The specific heat of water is 1. What is the meaning of a specific heat of 0.5 for a substance?
15. In adults, cholesterol levels under 200 are generally desirable. what does a cholesterol level of 200 mean?
16. Bicycle sizes are given in inches. What does it mean to say a bicycle is a 26" bicycle?
17. A number 2 1/2 pencil contains more of what common substance mixed with graphite in the lead than does a number 2 pencil?
18. Golf clubs are named using numbers and material, such as a number 2 wood or a number 5 iron. As numbers increase, does the loft increase or decrease?
19. In the manufacture of whiskey, numbers are used to indicate the proof. Specifically, what does 80 proof mean?
20. In textbooks, ordinarily on the page with the copyright information, there often appears a sequence of numberals beginning with 10. What would the sequence 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 indicate?
21. Geologists break the Earth's history into eras, periods, and epochs, not uniform length. Which of the three divisions of time is about 50 million years?
22. A metronome is often used to help piano students. What does a metronome setting of 120 mean?
23. What do the numbers 20-30 mean as a result of a vision test?
24. Lawn fertilizer is ofter described by using three numbers, such as 25-10-5. What does the first number ordinarily indicate?
25. The size of a juice or vegetable can is given by numbers such as 1, 2, or 3. A number 2 can contains how many cups?
26. Automobile tire sizes are often given by a letter and a set of numbers, such as H 70-15. The 15 means the tire fits a wheel of 15 inches in diameter. what does the 70 indicate? (NOTE: Some tires now have metric sizes like 165-13. The first part is in millimetres, but the second is still in inches.)
27. One of the numbers used in a weather report gives the dew point. What does it mean to say dew point is 36 degrees?
28. What does a gasoline octane rating of 93 mean?
29. The location for receicing a particular station on a radio dial is indicated by a number, such as 102.1 or 107.9 on the dial. What does this number represent?
30. One of the numerals found on a package of light bulbs indicates lumens. How many watts (40, 60, 75, 100, or 150) are needed to yield an output of 860 lumens?
There ya go, all done. Please try to answer them all. Have fun and thanks.