Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#254465 - Mon Jan 17 2005 06:33 PM Limit on submissions
Tralfaz Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: California
I really think that only being allowed one submitted quiz is really unfair. I have had a quiz sitting in a queue for 12 days now unable to submit another one while another quiz writer (not in the guild) had had 16 quizzes accepted in that time. Increasing the limit to even two would help alleviate this sort of problem.

#254466 - Mon Jan 17 2005 07:34 PM Re: Limit on submissions
dragonfly3544 Offline
Explorer

I agree, if the submissions are to different catagories.

#254467 - Tue Jan 18 2005 01:57 AM Re: Limit on submissions
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
One of the problems with multiple submissions is the following. Say you submit a quiz to category A. An editor will then point out any errors to you and ask you to fix them. Very often those errors are structural things, like punctuation, time-stamping or stand-alone questions. The editors hope that once they've explained the problems to you, you'll be able to use the new knowledge for all your future quizzes as well. Now if you'd submit another quiz to category B at the same time, you'd probably make the same mistakes there, and editor B would point them out to you as well. Kind of a waste of time. It's much more efficient if you only have to be by editor A, so that you can then apply what they say to quiz B.

#254468 - Tue Jan 18 2005 02:11 AM Re: Limit on submissions
onlytrivial Offline
Explorer

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:

Say you submit a quiz to category A. An editor will then point out any errors to you and ask you to fix them. Very often those errors are structural things, like punctuation, time-stamping or stand-alone questions. The editors hope that once they've explained the problems to you, you'll be able to use the new knowledge for all your future quizzes as well. Now if you'd submit another quiz to category B at the same time, you'd probably make the same mistakes there, and editor B would point them out to you as well.

Leau, I understand your point. This may be applicable to relatively new quiz makers. More experienced quizmakers with a number of quizzes to their name, would not be as likely to make such errors. Perhaps if authors with over 10 or so quizzes were allowed to submit 2 in different categories, that would work better.

#254469 - Tue Jan 18 2005 02:23 AM Re: Limit on submissions
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Since most editors edit in multiple categories, different categories doesn't necessarily mean different editors. If you'd submit one quiz each to e.g. World and Hobbies they'd both end up on my plate. Which means that you'd still have two quizzes in the queue, taking up time that could have been used to edit another author's only quiz.

I understand your frustration though, I've had quizzes waiting in the queue for quite a while as well when I had another quiz ready to be submitted.

#254470 - Wed Jan 19 2005 01:42 AM Re: Limit on submissions
muhammadasad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pakistan, Islamabad
I agree your idea but only when you submitt two quizzes in two different categories. But don't go wild of submitting quizzes. What i think there should be chance to submitt three quizzes at a time.

#254471 - Wed Jan 19 2005 08:27 AM Re: Limit on submissions
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
The editors, I believe, are standing pat with their decision...one quiz at a time. Since most editors edit in more than one category, one is sufficient.

#254472 - Wed Jan 19 2005 06:19 PM Re: Limit on submissions
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:

Leau, I understand your point. This may be applicable to relatively new quiz makers. More experienced quizmakers with a number of quizzes to their name, would not be as likely to make such errors.

If I could add my two bits, you would be surprised at how many authors with many quizzes online submit new quizzes with very basic errors. These include but are not limited to; not putting movie titles in quotation marks, not making any attempt to find the correct category, and not following requirements for specific types of quizzes, even when they have already done a number of similar quizzes.
Unfortunately having a number of quizzes online does not always mean that the quiz writer does not make these types of errors.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#254473 - Wed Jan 19 2005 08:52 PM Re: Limit on submissions
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I would like to support skunkee's comments that even quiz-makers with lots of quizzes on-line often submit new quizzes with (avoidable) mistakes.

Part of the reason for that is because, while there are general quiz-making guidelines, each category also has some rules that are specific to that category.

Speaking as a Literature editor, I frequently find quizmakers who have lots of quizzes on-line but they have not previously submitted to Literature. They then submit their first Literature quiz without checking the guidelines and find out the hard way that certain topics are closed or that there are restrictions on fill-in-the-blank questions which don't apply to other categories.

Also, the rules may change from time to time as the need arises so it is worthwhile checking category guidelines before submitting a quiz, just to be on the safe side, even if you are a long-time member.

#254474 - Thu Jan 20 2005 12:08 AM Re: Limit on submissions
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
'Me three.' Sometimes when you get a bunch of quizzes online, you start thinking 'well, I really am a great author' and you stop being so careful. So that's when typos, not following guidelines closely, etc. happens.

Editor for Television Category

#254475 - Thu Jan 27 2005 02:38 AM Re: Limit on submissions
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
One at a time is required to throttle the flow of new quiz submissions.

FunTrivia's traffic continues to soar, yet we want to keep the number of new quizzes per day placed online fairly constant. The size of the editing staff and flow of new quizzes in is "just right" now.

In order to accomplish this, we need to strongly encourage quality over quantity. We'd like players to submit fewer, better quizzes.

Terry

Moderator:  agony