Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#255421 - Sat Jan 29 2005 08:38 PM Quiz vanished - what happened?
d2407 Offline
Participant

Loc: Rochester New York USA    
I know the site has been slow and sometimes even offline in the past 24-48 hours. I am hoping that explains this problem:

A quiz I created on 1/26 - #200491 - I edited and refined online, then finally submitted it for editor approval around 8:45 eastern time on Saturday 1/29. And it just disappeared!

I know the quiz number is correct, as I got it from my browser history. Every other edited quiz of mine in the history shows up, but I get an error on that one. And the quiz is missing when I view my own quiz list.

What happened?

And can the quiz be put back from a backup?

I did message a Sports editor (the category the quiz was in) about this, but wanted to ask if other users and/or categories have experienced this themselves.

#255422 - Sat Jan 29 2005 10:14 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Weird. The questions are still there, but the quiz template isn't. Hm.

Terry

#255423 - Sat Jan 29 2005 10:47 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

After searching the logs it appears that your quiz was deleted by an editor.

Did you receive a note? Have you been warned recently by someone?

Terry

#255424 - Sun Jan 30 2005 02:13 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Missing quizzes are not uncommon it seems. Various authors have series of quizzes, but if one looks closely there might be one missing from the series, no 2 or no 3, etc. I've occasionally sent a note to the author, asking why quiz no 2 or whatever is missing, but never had a response.

#255425 - Sun Jan 30 2005 02:19 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

<< Missing quizzes are not uncommon it seems. >>

I am yet to find a single example in over 4 years where a quiz went "missing". People delete quizzes, not the system.

Terry

#255426 - Sun Jan 30 2005 02:27 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I am yet to find a single example in over 4 years where a quiz went "missing". People delete quizzes, not the system.

Terry

I didn't suggest in any way that 'the system' deleted quizzes. I can readilly understand why an early, poorly set out quiz with few, or even no, notes would be deleted, but can't understand why a quiz which is one of a good series should be deleted. It's not a big problem, just curiosity.

#255427 - Sun Jan 30 2005 02:32 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Sometimes quizzes in series get put in different categories for whatever reason. A good way to track them down is to take a look at an author's set of quizzes.

Terry

#255428 - Sun Jan 30 2005 02:47 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

I've done that but same result - quiz no. '?' missing from the list. As I said contacting the author(s) didn't get any response, and I didn't think it important enough to persevere. It just looks odd when you see no. 1, no 2, no 3, no 5, no 6, etc in a clear series, but no number 4. Maybe they are just a simple numeric errors which weren't noticed at the time of creation.
Quite unintentionally one comes across authors who have a certain appeal, and/or similar interests to oneself, and it can be more fun to work through their quizzes than to choose quizzes randomly.
Please, please, it's no big deal and I'm not in any way complaining.

#255429 - Sun Jan 30 2005 07:54 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
d2407 Offline
Participant

Quote:

After searching the logs it appears that your quiz was deleted by an editor.

Did you receive a note? Have you been warned recently by someone?

Terry

No on both counts. In fact, I'd been regularly submitting quizzes and getting them online promptly on a nearly daily basis in that category, including just the day before.

In another post in the thread, mention is made about shifting categories. Could that have happened? In this instance, just the day before, a newly-approved quiz of mine in that category had been recategorized by an editor. I submitted the new quiz, then messaged the editor who'd recategorized the previous one, alerting him that I had submitted the quiz but hadn't quite figured out the new categorization. That editor was online last night, as we exchanged several friendly messages.

I don't know the mechanism for deleting quizzes or recategorizing, but I'm comfortable that perhaps that's what happened: the quiz got deleted by accident while being recategorized.

I did create the quiz offline, and still have that version of it. However, I usually make a lot of small refinements to a quiz once it's online, as I like to see how it would look to users. If there's any chance of restoring the quiz (you say the questions are there but the template is missing), that would be great, because I remember the minor changes I made in its final 24 hours. If the thing cannot easily be restored from a backup, I can move ahead and recreate it from the offline version.

Please let me know how to proceed.

#255430 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:44 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
d2407 Offline
Participant

Call off the dogs.

I got a message from the editor who deleted the quiz and it was a complete accident.

If it can be restored from the 1/28 backup, great; that will save me a couple hours of time restoring from offline and re-editing.

Otherwise, or if I don't hear anything else by noon eastern, I'll just restore from offline.

#255431 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:45 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I deleted the quiz in question, and not due to anything the author has done. I'm taking care of it.

#255432 - Sun Jan 30 2005 09:52 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

And just to finish my own 'auxilliary thread", I confirm that my 'missing quiz' queries were mere friendly notes to a couple of authors, never to editors nor sent as correction notices.

#255433 - Sun Jan 30 2005 10:13 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Well, aramis, I think I can shed some light on the mystery. The fact that you sent friendly messages to the authors, and never received a reply, is the clue.
Most likely, these particular authors no longer visit our site. The missing quizes are probably ones which received corrections which the editors in that category were unable to fix themselves. If an author is no longer around, the editors will fix anything that they can; however, sometimes it's just impossible to find the information. In that case, if the problem is serious enough, the quiz will be taken offline.

#255434 - Sun Jan 30 2005 11:37 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: California USA
Quote:

Various authors have series of quizzes, but if one looks closely there might be one missing from the series, no 2 or no 3, etc. I've occasionally sent a note to the author, asking why quiz no 2 or whatever is missing, but never had a response.

In most cases, this is because a quiz was pulled offline because of an uncorrected error. As you noticed, these quizmakers don't respond...because they aen't around any more. Thus, unfortunately, the errors never get corrected and the quiz doesn't get back online.

#255435 - Sun Jan 30 2005 04:55 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Actually, due to an interesting oversight on my part in the deletion code, the questions are still there.

I'm going to create a "resurrect quiz" function for editors, which will allow them to partially reverse deletions. In other words, you'll lose your intro and category selection and a couple of other things, but all your question data should be recoverable without me having to enter the dangerous world of database backups, something that can very well put a whole lot of things out of whack due to dependencies.

Terry

#255436 - Sun Jan 30 2005 05:32 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

<< Thus, unfortunately, the errors never get corrected and the quiz doesn't get back online >>

This is something that's unfortunate, because such quizzes automatically get deleted over time. I'm thinking perhaps we ought to not automatically delete any quiz which has been played 20 times or more in the past (or something like that), and instead have a separate queue of "good quizzes with a couple of problems whose owners have abandoned them".

Terry

#255437 - Sun Jan 30 2005 06:23 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

<< Thus, unfortunately, the errors never get corrected and the quiz doesn't get back online >>

This is something that's unfortunate, because such quizzes automatically get deleted over time. I'm thinking perhaps we ought to not automatically delete any quiz which has been played 20 times or more in the past (or something like that), and instead have a separate queue of "good quizzes with a couple of problems whose owners have abandoned them".

Terry

You already have something like this - the quizzes that are complete (as in all questions in question fields are filled out) are not deleted.

The editors have to physically go in and choose to delete them.

Editor for Television Category

#255438 - Sun Jan 30 2005 09:04 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

<< The editors have to physically go in and choose to delete them. >>

Hmm dont these ALSO get deleted, just at a later date? 8 months or something?

Terry

#255439 - Mon Jan 31 2005 08:15 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
ladymacb29 Offline

Nope. Check the TV abyss - we have some from a problem author that George asked not to be deleted, they've been there (as in past the deletion time) several months now.

#255440 - Mon Feb 21 2005 08:53 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

In most cases, this is because a quiz was pulled offline because of an uncorrected error. As you noticed, these quizmakers don't respond...because they aen't around any more. Thus, unfortunately, the errors never get corrected and the quiz doesn't get back online.

Seems a bit harsh! Corrections I send are normally polite and chatty, maybe mentioning just a couple of small typo or spelling errors. I see no reason for withdrawing quizzes in such cases, and would not wish to be the cause of this. On the other hand if there are more serious factual errors, or a lot of minor errors it is reasonable that the quiz be withdrawn.
Maybe there should be two 'Send a Correction' choices, 'minor' and 'major'?

Edited by aramis (Mon Feb 21 2005 11:23 AM)

#255441 - Mon Feb 21 2005 09:07 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
When a correction note only points out minor errors and the author isn't around anymore I usually fix the quiz myself and clear the correction note. Only when a correction note requires quite some research and possibly a rewrite of questions I pull it offline. I think that goes for most editors.

#255442 - Mon Feb 21 2005 09:16 AM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Editors see all corrections, and will usually fix small spelling errors and such for authors who are no longer around. As stated above, there is nothing automatic about quizzes being taken offline - an editor has to make a decision.
Since most editors work in categories that they are personally knowledgable in, they can often even fix errors of fact. We are on the net after all - things like song lyrics are easily verified. Personally, I only take a quiz offline for corrections if the correct facts can't be verified, and there is no way I can just reword the question or answers to avoid the problem. I will also take a quiz offline if the author is still active on-site, and refuses to deal with corrections him/herself, even after warnings that this may result in loss of the quiz.

#255443 - Mon Feb 21 2005 03:53 PM Re: Quiz vanished - what happened?
ladymacb29 Offline

I do what agony does.

Please do not be upset if your correction causes a quiz to go online - we would MUCH rather have a quiz taken offline for having errors than quizzes online with them.

Moderator:  agony