Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262732 - Sun Mar 27 2005 12:38 AM Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St. Louis Missouri USA      
I have a number a quizzes online that have been played well over 30 times but still haven't been rated yet. Do you take the extra second to rate the quizzes and if not, why not? I'm just curious. I like to know what people like and dislike in a quiz. No sense in making more quizzes no one wants to play.

#262733 - Sun Mar 27 2005 01:38 AM Re: Do you rate?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I'll move this over to the Quizzyland section.

#262734 - Sun Mar 27 2005 01:39 AM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

Sure, it was pretty difficult to find the appropriate forum for some actual Funtrivia threads.

#262735 - Sun Mar 27 2005 01:45 AM Re: Do you rate?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Well, yes, I see your point, the name is a bit ambiguous. But Ask the Quiz Editors is also for Quizzyland discussions.

#262736 - Sun Mar 27 2005 01:51 AM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

NP. Thanks for the help

#262737 - Sun Mar 27 2005 08:43 AM Re: Do you rate?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I always rate quizzes, and urge others to do so. Actaully, I think anybody who has enough interest in the site to have found the way to the forums will probably be rating.
One problem is that for me, when I send a compliment, I lose the rating page. Instead, I'm sent back to the main page after sending the note. The window that the quiz is on does come up later, though, when I am logging off, so I usually remember to rate at that time.

#262738 - Sun Mar 27 2005 09:27 AM Re: Do you rate?
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
If I'm going to take the time to play a quiz, I'm going to take the extra two seconds to rate it. The way I see it is, that's someone's hard work and they'd like to know that it's been enjoyed.

If I've enjoyed it, I send a compliment as well. We all like a pat on the back from time to time.

#262739 - Sun Mar 27 2005 03:58 PM Re: Do you rate?
gemini19 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada      
I agree, I always rate quizzes and send a message along to the author if it was a particularly enjoyable one... many people have also done the same for some of my own quizzes.. I think it's common courtesy to rate the quizzes. Even if it wasn't a particularly great quiz, it still took some effort on the author's part.

Like Derick I also have quizzes that have been played 70, 80 or 90 times and still don't have ratings, but I figure no rating is better than a bad rating. just kidding.

Edited by gemini19 (Sun Mar 27 2005 04:01 PM)

#262740 - Sun Mar 27 2005 06:07 PM Re: Do you rate?
d2407 Offline
Participant

Loc: Rochester New York USA    
I got shamed into rating a couple months ago, and can't figure out why I was so lame as to not rate before then.

I probably give out 5-10% excellent on quizzes, 20-30% good, and most of the rest average. I've rated a small number of quizzes poor, and maybe one or two very poor.

For me to rate a quiz excellent, it has to have a clever premise, well-phrased questions, and plenty of interesting information that either teaches me something, or if I already knew a lot on the subject, at least brings up some things that I really like about it.

I'll immediately downgrade a quiz if it contains a fill-in-the-blank asking for an answer where spelling or punctuation may be an issue, or if it asks a "who gives a hoot" question dwelling on minutiae ("what date was John Lennon born" or "how many touchdown passes did Dan Marino throw in 1989").

A poor quiz in my book is one just loaded with question of the type noted in the previous paragraph, while being devoid of any worthwhile information (don't ask me for John Lennon's birthday, then merely tell me he married Yoko Ono in 1969!).

Despite myself, I often will rate a quiz higher if I do well on it. I *am* only human, but I acknowledge this is a weakness!

By the way, I solve my compliment/rating dilemma by using a tabbed browser (Netscape or Firefox being two examples). Right click on compliment and select "open in new tab," send the compliment, close the tab, rate, return to where I was).

#262741 - Sun Mar 27 2005 06:53 PM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

Quote:

but I figure no rating is better than a bad rating. just kidding.

There may be more truth in that than you realize gemini, although I'm certain that a quiz is initially judged more on it difficulty rating than anything else. Just look how many times a quiz marked "easy" is played in comparison to one marked "difficult" or "tough" which many of mine are.

#262742 - Mon Mar 28 2005 11:02 AM Re: Do you rate?
gemini19 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada      
Really? I usually try to make my quizzes difficult on purpose... perhaps because I enjoy a challenge myself, you know, a quiz where I really have to think... I tend to skip the easy quizzes... unless it sounds really interesting.

#262743 - Mon Mar 28 2005 03:14 PM Re: Do you rate?
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester
England UK     
I must admit I do rate when I remember but for some reason my eyes glance over that section on the answer page, so I do often forget... now if there was a huge pop-up that jingled at me everytime. Then I would definatly not glance over and I would remember lol!

#262744 - Mon Mar 28 2005 07:31 PM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

Oh sure!! That's what the Internet needs. More pop-ups! (eyes rolling) That was sarcasm. I learned that from the sarcasm quiz I took a couple of days ago.

#262745 - Tue Mar 29 2005 12:51 AM Re: Do you rate?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I always rate quizzes, and have a personal 'convention' for doing so. How well or badly I do is totally irrelevant, and I might rate a quiz poor when I've got 100% correct, or good if I've only got 50%. My ratings are based mainly on the effort I believe has gone into the quiz, and how interesting the 'interesting information' is. A 5 or 10 question quiz with poor or even no interesting info' will be rated poor or even very poor. a 10 question quiz with quite good notes will usually be rated average, or occasionally good. A 15 or 20 question quiz with few notes will usually be rated average, and with good notes will be rated good. To get an excellent rating a quiz would have to contain 20 or 25 questions, and have good interesting information. I also consider amusement value, and number of errors, though typo's and minor spelling errors will make no difference to my rating.

#262746 - Tue Mar 29 2005 07:47 AM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

I guess I'm not quite that strict in my rating selections. I figure anyone who has taken the time and effort to create a quiz deserves at least a good. But I do notice that the more quizzes I take the more I'm inclined to give an average rating. I'm thinking that most people who don't rate quizzes probably haven't made any quizzes either so it doesn't matter to them one way or another.

#262747 - Tue Mar 29 2005 09:44 AM Re: Do you rate?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

I figure anyone who has taken the time and effort to create a quiz deserves at least a good.

It is of course entirely your business how you rate quizzes, but my own feeling is that rating everything 'Good' is little different from not rating at all.

#262748 - Tue Mar 29 2005 10:02 AM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

Hmmmm...I seem to have been hoisted by my own petard. I agree with your conclusion aramis, but do note that I said I'm becoming more critical of quizzes as I take more and more of them. As with anything else, practice makes perfect, even in grading.

#262749 - Tue Mar 29 2005 10:05 AM Re: Do you rate?
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I agree with Aramis. I apply my own "formula" if you will to rating quizzes. I've played many quizzes which leave much to be desired by way of interesting information. A recent one that comes to mind said "Some girl sings on this track too" and "This song is track 4 on the album." I rated the quiz poor not because I didn't do well, but becuase the author could have put more effort into finding out some truly interesting information. The quiz wasn't good by my standards. Maybe that's harsh, but a little research goes a long way.

#262750 - Tue Mar 29 2005 10:38 AM Re: Do you rate?
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
For me the number of questions in a quiz has nothing to do with the rating I give it. Actually, the more questions a quiz has, the more boring it tends to get. If a quiz is truly well-written, has really interesting information and preferably even a bit of humour it will get a "very good" or "excellent" rating. The quizzes that look like they've been slapped together in a couple of minutes will get a "poor" or "very poor" rating.

#262751 - Tue Mar 29 2005 03:27 PM Re: Do you rate?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
A quiz will get a 'very poor' rating from me if it has questions that require me to read the author's mind. "How many vowles are there?" for example - does he mean me to include "y"? How about "w" which is occasionally used as a vowel?
I also dislike picky time and date questions, and will rate a quiz poorly if it has lots of these - "Did this obscure event happen on Sept 16 1993, Sept 17 1993, Sept 18 1993, or Sept 19 1993?"
Also, quizzes which expect you to know the correct spellings of the names of Television characters and other things that you've never seen written down. That type of thing to me is not 'trivia', but just nonsense.

I like a fresh approach and a little humor - tell me something that I didn't even know I wanted to know. That's the way to get an 'excellent' from me.

#262752 - Tue Mar 29 2005 04:23 PM Re: Do you rate?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I absolutely loathe the above and if I catch them when they submit it, I'll suggest something else.
If you give me the middle name and the birthdate of vice presidents with one day differences, you'll lose my vote.
I always try and steer quizwriters to put that information in the info blanks if they like, not as a question.

#262753 - Tue Mar 29 2005 06:52 PM Re: Do you rate?
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester
England UK     
I agree with both of you although I can understand if something really dramatic such as (forgive my lack of imagination here) "What date was there a major terrorist attack in New York" Sept 10th Sept 11th etc, However things like that are far too easy to be put in quizzes at this time.

I apologise in advance if my reference causes upset to anybody reading.

#262754 - Tue Mar 29 2005 09:02 PM Re: Do you rate?
SRSTrekker Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
Yes, I rate every quiz. At first, I thought it was the only way to get out of the quiz back to the quiz listing page, or whereever I was. (Yes, you can call me thick , but really I did think that). I didn't even think about the back button on the browser. But even now that I know, I still rate them because people need to know what others thought.

Like some people have said, I too have a formula for rating quizzes. At first, it was based on how well I did, but then I realized that wasn't fair and wasn't the point, so I now do it the more "proper" way. I rate them on my enjoyment and the quality of the quiz. Again, as others have said, it is based on what I can see of how much the author put into the quiz, interesting info, if I learned something, etc.

#262755 - Tue Mar 29 2005 11:04 PM Re: Do you rate?
DerickWJazz Offline
Forum Adept

You're not thick Trekker, just honest. I probably graded the same way when I first started here but came to the same conclusion you did, especially after I started making my own quizzes. I have to admit that when I come across a completely lame quiz these days it was probably created several years ago before FT started cracking down on things like grammer and lame or missing info. It may be harder to get a quiz online these days but there is far less garbage out there than there used to be.

#262756 - Sat Apr 09 2005 05:41 AM Re: Do you rate?
onlytrivial Offline
Explorer

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I generally rate quizzes if they are good and I like them. I know this may seem a bit silly, but I don't like rating quizzes badly. However, if some really nonsensical questions and answers are there, and make me seeth with anger, then I might rate it a 'poor'. There is an advantage to rating the quiz, you get the page suggesting "Players who liked this quiz also liked these quizzes". I find this useful, does anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony