Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#275360 - Mon Aug 22 2005 07:19 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Loc: NYC
Quote:

Let me just jump on The Bandwagon a give you a hearty "Welcome, aboard! ". And, no worries about the manual typewriters. There are several here who grew up on those; I sure did. Heck, I remember when [at 15] we weren't allowed to use calculators in school. Now they come out of second grade computer wizards . But you really will find that we all help each other around here. I'm glad you're here - in fact I almost want to ask "Where have you been?" But I won't. Just happy you're here now. Enjoy and be enjoyed.

Hi, Gatsby! Love your name...I assume you are a fan of the great F. Scott Fitzgerald too? As for manual typewriters, my older sister received a semi-toy one when I was 9 years old, but she wouldn't allow me near it. When she wasn't home, I'd take it out, set up the instruction page, and taught myself how to type...resulting in my ability to type 90wpm now. Re where have I been? Mired down in swamp-like local message boards that were the epitome of the "dumbing of America." Everything I believed in (and stated) was either ridiculed or used as an attack against me. So much for people with postage-stamp minds... So, you've no idea how happy I am to be here, amongst sweet, well-informed, open-minded citizens of the world...not just an "old neighborhood." By the way, thanks!

#275361 - Mon Aug 22 2005 07:22 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Thanks to JaneMarple, PurpleFan, Copago (tigers are my favorite creatures!) and Ballkissangel...wish I lived in "Atlantic Canada!"

#275362 - Mon Aug 22 2005 07:24 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
Copago (tigers are my favorite creatures!)
I think Copago supports some obscure sports team....

#275363 - Mon Aug 22 2005 09:54 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
And I used to like the manual typewriters too, with the satisfing "ding" at the end of each line!

#275364 - Mon Aug 22 2005 10:17 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Quote:

And I used to like the manual typewriters too, with the satisfing "ding" at the end of each line!

And I loved having to use the manual "arm" to get to the next line! (Forgot all about the "ding"! That was fun, too!)

#275365 - Mon Aug 22 2005 10:20 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
Then when you accidently pressed more than one key at once the arms used to lock together and you had to prise them apart!

#275366 - Mon Aug 22 2005 10:30 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
That was always a messy job

#275367 - Mon Aug 22 2005 10:32 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Yes, Sue!! But with all their little quirks, I still prefer manual typewriters! (What I don't miss are those endless sheets of carbon paper that had to be corrected individually...and the messy job of changing the ribbon!)

#275368 - Mon Aug 22 2005 06:45 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury LondonUK
Hello Paula, from another cat person (many people here are distantly familiar with Lucy), and I agree this is one very special place.
I still have a manual typewriter with a script typeface, you can't get such character from a printer so if I'm making labels I always use it, though when I wrote letters on it some people said it was illegible- you can't please everyone!

Anyway, welcome to Funtrivia, I'm one of the ones who have met up and it is a real family here

#275369 - Mon Aug 22 2005 08:00 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Quote:

Hello Paula, from another cat person (many people here are distantly familiar with Lucy), and I agree this is one very special place.
I still have a manual typewriter with a script typeface, you can't get such character from a printer so if I'm making labels I always use it, though when I wrote letters on it some people said it was illegible- you can't please everyone!

Anyway, welcome to Funtrivia, I'm one of the ones who have met up and it is a real family here

Hello to you, too, Satguru, over there across "the pond." So glad you're a cat person...most men I know have a tendency to think that cats are "feminine" (if not hate them outright) but I always tell them, "Not unless you live with one...or two, three, four, five...!" I assume Lucy is your cat, and not the one in the sky with diamonds? I wish I had held on to any typewriter, manual or electric. They're so much easier to use for labels, envelopes, etc. than computer printers. I know change is inevitable, but I don't have to like it! Anyway, thanks for the personal greeting, and give your cat(s) a hug from me!

#275370 - Tue Aug 23 2005 02:18 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Chris1013 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SW London
EnglandUK
I love your avatar and your signature, Paula. They are both very appropriate.

#275371 - Tue Aug 23 2005 03:46 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
>>>>>>>>Copago (tigers are my favorite creatures!)
I think Copago supports some obscure sports team....

they're an animal too??? Well how about that!
Up the Tigers!!

#275372 - Tue Aug 23 2005 07:33 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Dear Chris,

Thank you! Since you're in Australia, you should have a kangaroo or Koala bear avatar, don't you think? (Wish I had both in my home!)

#275373 - Tue Aug 23 2005 11:49 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, VirginiaUSA
Quote:

Hong Kong is a bit warmer, I can't stand the cold.

Hello and welcome from the heat of Texas. If only it didn't get so hot here (101F - 38C yesterday).

#275374 - Tue Aug 23 2005 11:53 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Ha, I feel a little late welcoming you to the forums, but here's a hearty welcome from my end of the world, even if it isn't at the moment all that far from you. As a recent cat convert, I can see you've aready found the niches within the community. And you'll find out well that we all become closely knit together, whatever our locations and backgrounds.

So here's to the forums!

Welcome again,
LDV

#275375 - Thu Nov 03 2005 11:04 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
harryfielder Offline
Participant

Loc: Herts UK
And a big welcome from a cat lover from Herts UK,

Aitch,

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  cinnam0n