Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#284132 - Sun Nov 06 2005 08:48 PM Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Oh dear! What can the matter be,
One 57 year old Colorado man was glued in the lavatory,
He felt like he`d been there from Sunday to Saturday,
And nobody cared that he was there.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Colorado man who had a panic attack when he found he was glued to a toilet seat in a Home Depot restroom has sued the home improvement giant for negligence, saying staff ignored his plight.

Retired electrical engineer Bob Dougherty, 57, said on Thursday he was stuck in the stall with his pants down for about 20 minutes and that two years after the 2003 incident he was suffering from post-traumatic stress, which has triggered diabetes and heart complications.

"I have these nightmares every night where I am locked in this dark room, with no windows, no doors, no fresh air, no route for escape. I wake up in these cold sweats," Dougherty said.

Spokesmen for Home Depot Inc. could not immediately be reached for comment.

Dougherty said in a lawsuit filed last week in Boulder, Colorado, that he thought he was having a heart attack when he realized his buttocks and legs were stuck to the toilet seat in the Home Depot restroom in Louisville, Colorado.

He explained his plight to an employee who came into the restroom but other Home Depot staffers thought it was a hoax and he had to wait until someone else came in to again summon help.

Dougherty is claiming unspecified damages for help with medical and psychiatric bills, for humiliation and for the diabetes he said he has developed as a result of the stress.

From here.

I guess the unlucky gentleman wasn`t as comfy` as the ditties Mrs Humpfrey!

Sadly I have heard rumoured that among other horrific thoughts the man has been having he also thinks he`s the Earl of Chesterfield's Daughter! There must be some serious psychiatric bills mounting up.

I`m still in shock that someone could use a public toilet and not have the hygienic sense to wipe the seat down before sitting on it.

Edited by damnsuicidalroos (Sun Nov 06 2005 08:59 PM)

#284133 - Sun Nov 06 2005 09:13 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Well, I'd really be interested in seeing documentation that being glued to a toilet seat for 20 minutes could trigger heart complications and diabetes. I mean, I can imagine it wasn't that pleasant, but I'm trying to imagine myself in a similar situation (no, really) and I just don't see myself having nightmares for years after. I'm wondering if some of this man's problems were already in evidence, and Home Depot is just unlucky enough for him to have a place to point his finger. Not that I think Home Depot shouldn't be held to some account for their staff not immediately responding to the situation. But I certainly don't think they should be held accountable for his diabetes.

#284134 - Mon Nov 07 2005 07:04 AM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Glue on the toilet seat. Panic attacks. Diabetes. Yeah, right.

What kind of glue? How did he finally release the glue?

I bet the guy was big and fat and, when he sat down, his tonnage created a vacuum between the toilet and his backside. He couldn't jump up without damage to a few things or ripping the plumbing out of the wall and floor.

I don't know how how he did it, but he obviously released the vacuum. I'm suprised the staff didn't hear the loud 'POP'. Maybe they thought it was a sonic boom.

This guy will probably be in the Guiness Book Of Records - Category: Loudest Sound Ever Recorded. This is currently held by Marlon Brando after he finished an all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet.

#284135 - Mon Nov 07 2005 07:19 AM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Well, I was stuck in my new apartment once - had just moved in, no phone hooked up yet, weekend, no one expecting to hear for me for two days - for about seven hours before I finally managed to get the attention of some people outside. The super released me, and I suffered absolutely NO ill affects whatsoever.
The guy sounds like a nut case.

#284136 - Mon Nov 07 2005 08:56 AM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California
This reminded me of an incident that happened to a relative of mine who worked for a reasonably big corporation that dealt with media and music in particular.
A colleague that wasn't really well known to many and who was apparently suffering from a few health problems, died in the toilet stall of the employee restroom and the person who discovered him was reasonably traumatized as well as the other staff who worked pretty hard to find someone to notify as the guy was a bit of a lonelyheart as it turned out. They did a lot of paperwork etc and as it was a rather unusual place to leave this earth, they had to file police reports.

Some of them sought counseling as a result of this because it was just so odd and unsettling. Everyone had reticence about using the employee facilities and there weren't any for the public as it was basically an office that dealt in shipping the product. I think the fact that the guy didn't have anyone to come after his death was what struck them all the most, not just the way he'd passed out. I also think that some of them suspected he had AIDS or it was drug related as he was pretty young to go like that.
My relative was wondering if she could have helped him in time as she used the women's facilities on the other side of the wall while he must have been there. She felt bad.

None of them as far as I know, sought to sue their company for what, not having a good emergency system in the toilet stalls?

Now however, if you watch Daytime television for about five minutes in the States, an attorney seeking wrongful injury claims will have an advertisement on the talk shows. As people sitting around home watching those sometimes get into a rather maudlin frame of mind (I can testify, I have done it once or twice for various reasons like job seeking) they might be tempted to do something like this for claim money. I've seen some claims around here that boggled the mind.

Ok, the funny part: I was once trapped in a restroom in a Greek service station as they'd closed the section for cleaning and there was a big German shepherd guard dog outside the transom window. I yelled loudly, and no one could hear me as the dog was barking. I'm sure they'd called out 'Anyone in there?' in Greek, but it was all Greek to me.
So finally my husband wondered what had become of me and came and had someone unlock the doors.
I did not sue.

#284137 - Mon Nov 07 2005 11:51 AM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Hmmm, I usually have a great sense of humor, but I'm failing to see what is just so terribly amusing about this.
Granted, I think the lawsuit, etc, are over the top, but I guess no one here has clautrophobia? Ever suffered a (genuine) panic attack?
The glue was Super Glue, and if anyone has any experience with that, the only way to release stuck skin is with acetone or a lengthy soak in soapy water and even then you have to be very careful how you detach the skin from something. Trust me, I've seen the results of a careless job.

Oh well, I never liked slapstick, the Three Stooges or practical jokes either.

#284138 - Mon Nov 07 2005 11:59 AM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
The lawsuits are ridiculous. Who can I blame for my diabetes?

Edited by sue943 (Mon Nov 07 2005 12:00 PM)

#284139 - Mon Nov 07 2005 12:37 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Taesma, I don't have claustorphobia. But I do have a genuine phobia of hypbdermic needles. To the point that my novocaine shots when I had my wisdom teeth out almost drove me into hysteria. I do have nightmares about needles, about specific incidents when I had to have shots, about incidents in which the nurses were unable to draw blood without multiple attempts... But I'm not suing the hospital, and that is what makes the situation above laughable. It's not the man's suffering, to whatever degree it went, it's his reaction. And the fact that his reaction seems completely unreasonable and over the top makes it very easy to believe that he's an opportunist and did not suffer as genuinely as he proclaims, whether or not it is actually true.

#284140 - Mon Nov 07 2005 12:50 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
MikeyD6 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York
I don't see how the store can be held liable for the criminal behavoir of someone else. By the same token, this man deserves some modest compensation.

Anyone else think that he may have glued himself to the toilet seat ?? I know the thought crossed my mind. But then , I am the suspicious type.

Edited by MikeyD6 (Mon Nov 07 2005 01:02 PM)

#284141 - Mon Nov 07 2005 04:29 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I myself was once trapped in the toilet of a villa I was renting. The door handle fell off as I closed it, I laughed about it later and didn`t for a minute think about sueing the real estate agents.

Taesma it`s the time that really makes me laugh and feel somewhat scornful of this gentlemans claims. 20 minutes isn`t a long time to be trapped and I don`t know how long the staff actually left him there. I have had panic attacks myself but caused by something a little more serious than this.

I also have had the thought that he might have glued himself there, but then to add to my mirth I have been thinking about the poor staff members that have had the bloke calling out to them to come into his cubicle and free his rear end, sounds suspicious to me and I wouldn`t have gone in there. I`m surprised the man claims to be having nightmares about being trapped in a dark room and if the toilet was so dark and scary I can also sympathize with the staff members even more.

I`m sure people have their own ideas about compensation but all I think he should be offered is a $200 gift certificate [and maybe a rap over the knuckles for "trying it on"].

If I laugh at a person that perhaps has stepped into a puddle on my property and their foot becomes trapped there for a short period are they going to be able to sue me?

The gentleman owes a duty of care to himself when sitting on a public toilet. I think he`s done well to make it to the age of 57 being as pathetic as he appears to be.

#284142 - Mon Nov 07 2005 05:43 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

I've only just realized that, though I hadn't heard this story before reading this thread, the details of location indicate it might in fact be the very store my aunt is a manager of...

#284143 - Wed Nov 09 2005 12:49 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
This interesting article appeared in CNN on line today.
Quote:

Doubts Raised About Toilet-Seat Case

DENVER (AP) - A man who sued Home Depot last month claiming a prank left him glued to a toilet seat made a similar allegation about another restroom more than a year ago, an official told a newspaper.

Bob Dougherty's lawsuit alleges employees at the store ignored his pleas for help on the day before Halloween 2003 because they thought he was kidding.

But Ron Trzepacz, former director of operations for the town of Nederland, where Dougherty lives, told the Rocky Mountain News in Tuesday's editions that Dougherty told him in the summer of 2004 he was glued to a toilet seat in the town's visitor center but pulled himself free.

Trzepacz told the paper he inspected the bathroom and found ``no indication that anything had been on the toilet seat.'' No police report was filed, he said.

Dougherty's lawyer, Mark Cohen, denied his client made such a claim and said Dougherty, 57, is willing to take a polygraph test.

Now who is the public to believe? Guess I better start checking the toilet seat next time I go in to Home Depot. (Eeuuwww. Like I'd use the toilet there! NOT)

#284144 - Wed Nov 09 2005 02:40 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
MikeyD6 Offline
Forum Adept

Did I call it or what ? I knew this guy was a phony. This guy is so full of something that he needs to be glued to a toilet seat.

Edited by MikeyD6 (Wed Nov 09 2005 04:18 PM)

#284145 - Wed Nov 09 2005 08:10 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Some kids trapped me in an internal toilet (ie no windows, therefore pitch black without the light on) when I was about 6 or 7. I'm sure I was only in there a few minutes, and my mother, who was in the house at the time, swears she doesn't even remember the incident. But I was petrified of the dark for years afterwards. That said, I very much doubt I'd have the same reaction at 57 (for a start I'd probably think of reaching for the light-switch! Unless I was glued to the seat of course...)

There are two things which bother me after reading this. One - as already raised - is over the question of whether or not the guy is deserving of compensation (if found to be genuine) and if so from whom? This also leads to questions over the extreme litigiousness (try saying that after a few drinks!) of people these days. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be mainly an American phenomenon, although I've seen evidence from the UK and my own dear Australia that it is becoming more and more popular too. I find it somewhat disturbing that the rate of false and nuisance claims has led to situations whereby those with a genuine claim are finding it more and more difficult to get the compensation they deserve. I'm thinking also of the fear of such suits being brought which has led to public liability premiums becoming beyond the reach of many low- or non-profit organisations, threatening the very existence of many organisations.

The other thing which worries me a little is the notion that someone external to the situation can judge whether or not it's worthy of causing panic. Again, regardless of the specifics of this case, anxiety disorders by their very nature often manifest as a result of what many would see as "irrational" triggers. The term "panic attack" has been devalued by overuse and inappropriate use, as have many terms associated with mental illness. I'm not pointing the finger specifically at those on this forum, it's a phenomenon I've noticed in all sorts of places. My particular bugbear is people saying they are "depressed" when they're really sad, or "manic" when they're just a little restless. But then I was pulled up not so long ago for describing myself as "obsessive", when of course I was actually just a little pre-occupied. It's certainly something I watch for very closely in myself as well as others. Of course I'm not such a PC wowser that I can't appreciate, for instance, exaggeration of terms towards a comic end (no really, things get much funnier the more you analyse them!) but I think in a serious discussion it's important not to use such terms carelessly.

ing climbs down from her soap-box very carefully so as not to twist her ankle again...

#284146 - Thu Nov 10 2005 08:54 AM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

I agree about the litigiousness, and about it being mostly Americans. Americans can and will sue for just about anything these days. There are commercials on the TV all the time from "ambulance chaser" lawyers, saying things like "Insurance companies will treat people fairly when pigs fly" and "when you've had an accident, you don't need a good friend, you need a good lawyer." (Those are actual quotes from a particularly sue-happy personal injury lawyer's commercials.) If you slip and fall at work, worker's compensation isn't enough. If you have a car accident, get a lawyer, because on it's own the insurance company will only give you cost of medical expenses plus three times that for pain and suffering. Of course, that couldn't possibly be enough. Greedy. Sue the major corporations because all they do is take your hard-earned money, so you should stick it to them when you can. If you burn your lip on hot coffee, if you get lung cancer from smoking...

About the exaggeration... Not that I don't believe you about not meaning to point fingers at people here, but I'll say this: I made a pretty strong statement above. I used words like hysteria and phobia. I wasn't exaggerating. I have a phobia, a full-on, not just misgivings, phobia of needles. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I was a grown adult, 20 years old, and I was so afraid of those darn novocaine shots that the dentist actually had to tell me that he was either going to give me the shots NOW, or I was going to get up and go home and find another oral surgeon. (Of course, I warned him before hand that I was terrified of needles, and even asked him if he would put me under, and he assured me that the nitrous oxide gas would take care of it. Not. I told him I had a phobia of needles, he must have thought I was exaggerating.) I was nearly hysterical with fear, and I mean every word of it. But I don't sue the hospital or nurse who couldn't get a blood vessel and had to jab me three times to draw blood, even though that gave me nightmares. Heck, my heart started racing just typing it just now.

The fact is, I don't care what kind of suffering he faced. It could have been genuine and horrible, like I get when I'm around needles. Breathless, heart-racing, throat-constricting panic. If that is actually what happened to him, then I can sympathize. But he's still a jerk for suing over it. It's a stupid thing to do.

#284147 - Thu Nov 10 2005 12:53 PM Re: Oh Dear! What Can The Matter Be.
MikeyD6 Offline
Forum Adept

I guess I should approach this subject from a different angle. wink wink !

OK let's try it this way. in my humble opinion Lawyers and frivilous law suits as well as judges who legislate from the bench are ruining the USA.

I actually have more dislike for the judges.

Edited by MikeyD6 (Thu Nov 10 2005 12:53 PM)

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943