Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#30511 - Thu Apr 05 2001 01:29 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
woohoo Offline
Participant

Loc: Michigan USA
Its hard to choose between so many movies! but i have narrowed them down to the top ten

10)Mallrats (its my all time favorite)
9)Ferris Buellers Day Off
8)Girl, Interrupted
7)Dead Poets Society
6)Benny & Joon
5)The House of the Spirits
4)American Beauty
3)Wonder Boys
2)Reality Bites
1)FIGHT CLUB!!!

as you can see I have a variety of interest in Movies!

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: kiddo ]

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: kiddo ]

#30512 - Thu Apr 05 2001 04:55 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
I can't keep it to just ten, I just can't. Why stop at the appetizer table when there is a banquet spread before you?
These are my all time favorites, in no particular order. Any dissenting opinions as to the merits of these films is encouraged, nay, welcomed. The quotes and comments are off the top of my head, most of them anyway, so if I don't have them down verbatim, please excuse me.

"Casablanca" Rick: We'll always have Paris.
"Cool Hand Luke" Fifty eggs? Nobody can eat fifty.Wanna bet?
"A Clockwork Orange" Alex: Angel trumpets and devil trombones, you are invited!
"Once Upon A Time In The West" Hank Fonda in his best "bad guy" role
"Blade Runner" Eldon Tyrell: The flame that burns half as long, burns twice as bright, and you have burned so very very brightly, Roy.
"Dr. Strangelove" Gen. Turgitson: Has he got a chance? If he's good, I mean if he's really sharp, he can bring that baby in so low, you should see it sometime, I mean a big plane like a '52, whoosh, fryin' chickens in the barnyard. Got a chance? Hell yes he's got a chance!
"Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" Butch: Did you see LaForge out there? Sundance: No. Butch: Whew, for a minute there I thought we were in real trouble! Also.....Who are those guys?
"The Fisher King" I love New York in June, how about you?
"The Man Who Would Be King" Sean Connery and Michael Caine get to be gods.....for a while.
"It's A Wonderful Life" Clarence: I don't really think I should, I mean it's been such a long time. I really shouldn't. George: Oh, go ahead. Clarence: Oh all right. My good man, I'll have a....no, I'll have a...yes that's it, I'll have a nice hot flaming rum punch! Bartender: Ok, that's it, Bruno, show these two pixies to the door!
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" Cabbie 1 (Peter Falk): They're lookin' for sumthin', and it's buried under sumthin' called a big W, I heard one of 'em, the nut, the stutterer, I heard him say it. Cabbie 2(Rochester) Yeah, I heard, but what?
"To Kill A Mockingbird" Scout: Boo Radley gave us a broken watch, two soap dolls, and our lives.
"The Princess Bride" My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
"The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" Tuco: Blooooooonnnndddieee!!!
"The Deer Hunter" One shot? Yeah, one shot.
"Gigi" Thank heaven for little girls! Leslie Caron and Maurice were unbelievably great in this.
"The Treasure of Sierra Madre" Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no steeeeenking badges!
"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" Chief: Ahhhh, juicyfruit.
"Tora, Tora, Tora" Some Japanese Admiral, Yamamoto, I Think: I fear that all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve.
"Winchester '73" Dutch Henry Brown and Lin McAdam brothers? Who would have thunk it? Oh, and Shelly Winters wasn't always as big as a house, she was finer than frog hair in this.
"Duel" Dennis Weaver (McCloud) versus an evil and mysterious
Mack truck. Chilling.
"The Party" Birdie num nums. Peter Sellers at his absolute silliest.
"Apocalypse Now" Willard: Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right, unless you're going all the way. Kurtz got out of the boat, he split from the whole f***ing program.
"Spartacus" Marcus Licinius Crassus: Well then, what sort of a man was he...really?
Varinia:He was a man who began all alone, like an animal, yet on the day he died, thousands and thousands would have gladly have died in his place. Crassus: What was he? Was he a god? Varinia: He wasn't a god. He was a simple man, a slave....(looking away)...I loved him.
"To Catch A Thief" Robie: You know as well as I do, that these are fake. Francie: Well, I'm not.
"The Manchurian Candidate" Raymond Shaw: They can make me do anything, Ben, can't they? Anything. Bennett Marco: We'll see kid. We'll see what they can do, and we'll see what we can do. So, the red queen is our baby. Well, take a look at this kid, (fans the deck of cards , and keeps holding them up, showing them to Raymond) fifty two of them. Take a good look, and while you're looking, listen. This is me, Marco talking. 52 red queens and me are telling you....you know what we're telling you? It's over! The links, the beautifully conditioned links are smashed. They are smashed as of now because we say so, because we say they are to be smashed. We're busting up the joint, we're tearing out all the wires. We're busting it up so good all the queen's horses and all the queen's me will never put old Raymond back together again. You don't work anymore! That's an order. And if anyone invites you to a game of solitaire, you
tell 'em, sorry buster, the ball game is over.
"Some Like It Hot" Well, nobody's perfect.
"The Wizard of Oz" Witches Palace Guards: Oh, we love noooo
one. also........Dorothy: There's no place like home.
"Jaws" I was on the Indianapolis, Chief. 1200 men went into the water, 350 came out, the sharks took the rest.
"The Maltese Falcon" Gutman: Well, Wilmer.....what you young people don't understand, is that if you lose a son it is always possible to get another, but there is only one Maltese Falcon.
"Godzilla Versus Mothra" The two twin Fairies singing: Moth-a-ra, Moth-a-ra blue tunaaaaa.
"Help" Hey, Ringo! Where did you get that ring? Quiet everybody, listen. See? I knew someone was following us!
"The Old Man and the Sea" I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing, the old man said. They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are, and would understand.
"Deliverance" A back-to-nature canoe trip gone horribly wrong. Soft city boys and one gung-ho survivalist get in way over their heads. For a while there, it looks like if the locals don't do them in, the river will. Really pretty creepy. Makes you ask yourself what you are really capable of given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances.
"Forbidden Planet" Morbius: The Krell existed on this planet for millions of years, and then they were gone, almost overnight.
"A Shot In The Dark" Sellers as Clousou, one of the funniest movies of all time.
"The Shootist" A dying man (John Wayne) playing a dying gunfighter.
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Sandy Dennis: I think I'll have another brandy, please.
"Citizen Kane" This just in; Rosebud was not a sled! What was it? I'll never tell! Let's just say that not all roses grow on trees, they are also often found in bushes.
"The Godfather I & II" But definately NOT III. The Priest: Do You renounce Satan and all of his works? Michael Corleone: (with fingers crossed behind his back) I do.
"Vertigo" Madeline!!!!
"The Excorcist" You're mother sews socks that smell!
"Rebel Without a Cause" Jim and Buzz get ready for the "chickie run" Jim: Why do you guys do this, with the cars, I mean. Buzz: Oh, I don't know, you've got to do something, I guess.
"Planet of the Apes" Taylor: Get your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!
"Mister Roberts" Ensign Pulver: Ok, Captain, now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!
"White Heat" Cody Jarrett: I'm on top of the world, Ma!
"Young Frankenstein" Victor Frankenstein: Eyegore, would you help me with these bags? Eyegore: (in his best Groucho Marx voice) Sure! You take the blond and I'll take the one in the turbin!
"2001, A Space Odyssey" Dave: Open the pod bay doors, HAL. HAL: I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that.
"Little Big Man" Old Lodgeskins: As long as the grass grow, and the wind blow, the human beings (Lakota Sioux) will have a place in the world.
"Field of Dreams" Terrence Mann: Oh, people will come, Ray. This field, this game reminds us of all that was once good, and could be again. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers, been erased like a blackboard, been rebuilt and erased again, but baseball has stayed the same, it has marked the time. The memories will come so thickly, they'll have to brush them away like fireflies. People will come, Ray. People will definately come.
"High Plains Drifter" The Midget: I never did know your name. The Drifter: (looks at gravestone, midget looks at him and then down at the gravestone he's carving) Yes, you know what it is. (rides away)
"Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" Matt Drayton: ...and if it's half as much as what your mother and I felt for each other, well, then that's....everything.
"Sleeper" Scientist: (Shows Woody a photo of Richard Nixon) Do you know who this man is? Almost all the records of him have been expunged from our history books. He must have done something really awful. Woody: Yeah, that would be about right.
"The Sting" The name's Lonegan. Doyle Lonegan.
"The Stuntman" More twists and turns in this one than at Imola.
"Touch of Evil" Dietrich, Welles, Janet Leigh, and Charleton Heston playing a Mexican. Black and White, very noir.
"Love Me Tonight" Early thirties romantic comedy musical, out of print on video, really delightful. Maurice Chevalier
at his suave and lighthearted best. Great songs.
"Rollerball" Futuristic man against society flick, great action sequences, thought to be really gory when it came out but tame by todays standards.
"The Cowboys" Late John Wayne horse opera, with Bruce Dern as one of the most despicable bad guys in movie history. Come on, we're burning daylight!
"Double Indemnity" Fred MacMurray's finest dramatic role. Barbara Stanwyck as a totally conniving bottle blond. Edward G. Robinson as the insurance inspector who brings down their house of cards. Really excellent. Classic film noir.
"Angels With Dirty Faces" Cagney, Bogart, and the "Dead End Kids" AKA "The Bowery Boys" Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall in a late thirties gangster morality tale.
"Star Wars" A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away....
"Cocoon" Anybody up for a boat trip?
"East of Eden" Cain and Abel in the Salinas Valley. Classic Steinbeck. Julie Harris is great in this, and of course Jimmy, one of only three he ever made. Kind of hard to believe, eh? Watch out for chevys in the wrong lane, where hwys 41 and 46 come together. By the way, my high school art teacher had a keychain made out of a hunk of Jimmy's Porsche. At least he swore it was genuine. Pretty morbid, huh?
"Raiders of the Lost Ark" When this first came out, I hadn't heard anything about it until I saw an ad in the newspaper for it, the ad was kind of small and nondescript, and I thought it was one of those biblical travelouge films made by the Mormon church or the Jehovah's witnesses or something. You know, kind of like a religious Warren Miller type of thing, plays a day or two in a city and then moves on to the next one. ( they used to do this in the seventies and early eighties) Then a friend told me he saw it and liked it, but didn't tell me anything else about it, so curious sort that I am, I went to see it. Boy, was I surprised! This is the one that puts the "buster" in "Blockbuster" in my book. I love it when the Nazis melt!
"Blazing Saddles" Taggart at the toll gate for the Gov. LePetemaine throughway: Somebody's got to ride back and get a sh**load of dimes. Also......Bart: No thanks, baby, twelve is my limit on schnitzengruben!
"The Ninth Configuration" AKA "Twinkle, Twinkle Killer Kane"
William Peter Blatty's masterpiece, but almost no one has seen it. Bombed at the box office, critics said it was "too cerebral". He wrote it, produced it, directed it, and spent quite a lot of money he had made off "The Excorcist" on it.
A psychological thriller, comedy, existence of God, morality tale if you can believe that. Mindblowing, and yet sweetly funny. See it if you can.

Well, that's about it, so I'll say farewell, so long, aufvietersen, goodbye......oh that reminds me....

"The Sound Of Music" The hills are alive, and all that sort of thing.

Be seeing you, Tim.

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: tim10001 ]

#30513 - Thu Apr 05 2001 09:35 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
turquoise Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
tim,
i just felt like i was watching one of those oscar tributes where they run snippets of 50 great scenes in a row...
that was amazing!

anyway, i wanted to add two more to my list.

the piano

the man from snowy river.

#30517 - Mon Apr 09 2001 02:21 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
tyrailia rosenbohm Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston
Texas USA
Not in any particular order...

Bill and Teds
Awakenings (williams & Deniro)
Princess Bride
Aladin!!!
Children of a Lesser God
Message in a Bottle
101 & 102 Dalmations - Live dog versions!
Babe
What Dreams May Come
Shawshank Redemption

#30518 - Tue Apr 10 2001 05:13 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
oscar820 Offline
Participant

Loc: Brooklyn
New York USA
10 Singin' In The Rain 9 Harvey 8 Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939) 7 Here Comes Mr. Jordan 6 The Godfather 1 & 2 5 The 10 Commandments 4 A Christmas Story 3 West Side Story 2 Lawrence Of Arabia 1 To Kill A Mockingbird

#30519 - Wed Apr 11 2001 06:44 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
Rocky Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra
ACT Australia
Here is my top 10

1. Across the Bridge (Rod Steiger stars in this film of a Graham Greene short story...just brilliant)

2. Gallipoli

3. Tootsie

4. Working Girl

5. Schindler's List

6. Sophie's Choice

7. Evil Angels (a.k.a. A Cry in the Dark...the only film I can honestly say changed my opinion on something)

8. Sound of Music (that song "Something Good" is one of my faves)

9. High Tide (Judy Davis stars in this Gillian Armstrong directed film, but Colin Friels steals the show, as always).

10. The Producers

[ 04-11-2001: Message edited by: Rocky ]

#30520 - Wed Apr 11 2001 07:19 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
oscar820 Offline
Participant

Loc: Brooklyn
New York USA
quote:
Originally posted by oscar820:
10 Singin' In The Rain 9 Harvey 8 Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939) 7 Here Comes Mr. Jordan 6 The Godfather 1 & 2 5 The 10 Commandments 4 A Christmas Story 3 West Side Story 2 Lawrence Of Arabia 1 To Kill A Mockingbird

Also:Some Like It Hot, The Producers, It's A Mad Mad Mad World, Citizen Kane,It's A Wonderful Life, Shoeshine, Miracle In Milan,Jean de Florette, Manon Of The Spring , Strictly Ballroom

#30521 - Wed Apr 11 2001 10:10 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
Zepcat Offline
Participant

Loc: Over the hills and far away
10. Twelve Angry Men (Henry Fonda version)
9. Sling Blade
8. The Changeling
7. Scent of a Woman
6. Die Hard
5. Pulp Fiction
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Star Wars Trilogy
2. Casablanca
1. The Godfather I & II

[ 04-11-2001: Message edited by: Aragorn ]

#30522 - Sun Apr 22 2001 07:57 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
CalleroftheKtulu Offline
Participant

My favorite movies

10)Cliffhangar
9)Edward Scissorhands
8)Aliens 3 ( the last one is one of the worst films I have seen.)
7)Aliens
6)Alien
5)Terminator
4)This is Spinal Tap
3)Me, Myself and Irene
2)Any Jean Claude Van Damme Movie
1)Terminator 2

#30523 - Mon Apr 30 2001 04:38 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
In no particular order...

Amadeus
Schindler's List
Full Metal Jacket
Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa)
Red Sorghum and To Live (Zhang Yimou)
Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee)
Pulp Fiction
Dr. Strangelove
It's a Wonderful Life
Breakfast Club
The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman)
Badlands (Terence Malick)
City Lights
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Life of Brian
Gandhi
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki)
Delicatessen (Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
12 Angry Men
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original TV version)
Umberto D (De Sica)
Mississippi Burning
Stand By Me
Danton (1982 version by Andrzej Wajda)
Mr. Baseball
The Mission
Bull Durham
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
And any Hong Kong produced movie from John Woo starring Chow Yun Fat.

#30524 - Mon May 07 2001 07:10 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
phillyhead2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Philly
Pennsylvania USA
10:Shawshank..
9:Boogie Nights
8:End Of Days
7:Studio 54
6 irty Dancing
5:Stigmata
4 evil's Advocate
3:American Beauty
2:God Father
1:Scar Face

#30525 - Sat May 12 2001 04:24 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
Nyssa Offline
Participant

I don't feel like posting any explanations as to why I love these films so much. I think most of them explain themselves.

1.Velvet Goldmine (My All-Time Favorite)
2.The Rocky Horror Picture Show
3.A Clockwork Orange
4.Fight Club
5.Good Will Hunting
6.Boogie Nights
7.The Cell
8.Go
9.The Pillow Book
10.Nowhere (This one is awesome, too bad I can't find many other people who've seen it!)
11.Crash (HAD to include that one...it's phenomenal)

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Nyssa ]

#30526 - Tue May 22 2001 10:53 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winter Park Florida USA  
Several members listed High Society as their favorite movie, I have to disagree. High Society was a remake of The Philadelphia Story and to my mind The Philadelphia Story was a much better movie. Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart, what more can you ask for.
I was surprised that Pretty Woman didn't top any lists, I think it is a great movie and one I can watch over and over again.I have to agree with Dead Poets Society and would like to add another Robin Williams movie, Good Morning Vietnam. One last tidbit, the woman who played the female reporter in High Society was Celeste Holm and Ruth Hussey played that part in The Philadelphia Story.

#30527 - Tue May 22 2001 04:00 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA

There are too many to choose from, but here are a few in no particular order:
[LIST]
  • Pay It Forward
  • The Last Unicorn
  • Shakespear In Love
  • Highlander
  • Dragon Heart
  • The Frighteners
  • Better Off Dead
  • ...Say Anything
  • One Crazy Summer
  • Plunkett And Maclane
    There are so many more, these are just off the top of my head. B
  • _________________________
    "I don't have to conform to vagaries of time and space...I'm a loony for god's sake!"

#30528 - Thu May 24 2001 06:32 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    qeenbiatch Offline
    Learning the ropes...

Loc: New York USA
    my favorite would have to be

10 house on haunted hill
    9 the haunting
    8 thin red line
    7 mission to mars
    6 con air
    5 face off
    4 gone in 60 seconds
    3 grosse point blank
    2 the mummy
    1 the outsiders

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: queenbiatch ]

#30530 - Tue May 29 2001 08:08 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    xspaceghostx Offline
    Explorer

Loc: Texas USA
    1.Milo & Otis
    2.Anaconda
    3.Armageddon
    4.Aladin
    5.Lion King
    6.Titanic
    7.Huckleberry Fin
    8.Flintstones: The Movie
    9.Jaws
    10.Kid in Aladins Palace

(not really)

(Here's MxPx)

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: xspaceghostx ]

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: xspaceghostx ]

#30531 - Sat Jun 02 2001 07:10 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    TSA1400 Offline
    Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: TSA1400 ]

#30532 - Sun Jun 03 2001 06:54 AM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    Sword of Ainsley Offline
    Participant

Loc: Four Winds
    It's my list, so I'll include mini series

1. Centennial

2. Dirty Dancing

3. The Matrix

4. The Color Purple

5. It Happened One Night

6. Casablanca

7. Rock 'n' Roll High School

8. The Stand

9. Forrest Gump

10. Meatballs

List based entirely on which movies I could watch over and over and over, without tiring of them.

#30533 - Mon Jun 04 2001 05:25 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    tiftab Offline
    Learning the ropes...

Loc: Canada
    Top Ten Favourites Are

1: Braveheart
    2: Pay It Forward
    3: The Sound of Music
    4: Mask
    5: Parent Trap (Remake)
    6: The Patriot
    7: Almost Famous
    8: American Pie
    9: What Lies Beneath
    10:Anything with Mel Gibson

#30534 - Tue Jun 05 2001 09:13 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    TremontiFan Offline
    Learning the ropes...

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. Patton

3. Shawshank Redemption

4. Good Will Hunting

5. Of Mice and Men

6. Sound of Music

7. Hunt for Red October

8. Star Wars

9. Bambi

10. Monty Python (Search for the Holy Grail)

Honorable Mentions:

Shanghai Noon (Because Roy is invincible)
    Dumb & Dumber
    Apollo 13
    Rocky
    Longest Day
    Gladiator
    Fisher King

#30535 - Wed Jun 06 2001 11:58 PM Re: Top 10 Favorite Movies
    Shakesgirl Offline
    Participant

Loc: MississippiĀ USA
    In no particular order:

The Breakfast Club
    Pretty Woman
    Imitation of Life
    Grease
    The Evil Dead
    Gladiator
    Shakespeare in Love
    The Usual Suspects
    Good Will Hunting
    Braveheart

... and many more!

#1205891 - Sun Sep 16 2018 11:07 AM Top 10 favorite movies
    joecali Offline
    Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
    I try to search an old topic about this to avoid duplicate but I can't search
    Standing

1. The Shawshank redemption(1993)...10
    2. Seven(1995)....8
    3. Life Is beautiful(1997)...5
    4. Tesis(1996)....4
    5. Schildren's list(1993)...3
    6. Inside out(2015)...2
    Happiness(1998)....2
    The dark Knight(2008)....1
    Pulp fiction(1994)......1
    Like water for chocolate(1992)....1

I liked a lot of movies as the Goodfather, silence of the lambs, the piano, the Lion King and more but I choose this 10

Standing...
    10 pts for the first
    8 pts for the second
    5 to the third
    4 for the 4
    3 for the 5
    2 for the 6-7
    1 for the 8-9-10

Edited by joecali (Sun Sep 16 2018 01:46 PM)

#1205926 - Sun Sep 16 2018 01:43 PM Re: Top 10 favorite movies
    joecali Offline
    Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
    My rank

10. The dark Knight(2008)....1
    9. Pulp fiction(1994)......1
    8. Like water for chocolate(1992)....1
    7. Happiness(1998)....2
    6. Inside out(2015)...2
    5. Schildren's list(1993)...3
    4. Tesis(1996)....4