Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#310832 - Sat Jun 17 2006 02:17 PM Reporting "Corrections"
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Upstate NY, USA former LIer
Several times I have written to quiz authors with suggestions/corrections (based on questions seen in the GC).

The Funtrivia "Send a note" process does not include any way to automatically save the "Sent" messages (or include them in the replies) so often times I cannot remember what the original note (the one I wrote) said.

I'd like to see something along these lines inplemented so the context of the responses is clear.

#310833 - Sat Jun 17 2006 02:42 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: mike32768]
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Northumberland Virginia USA 
I run into this situation quite often myself. It would be nice if your original correction note could be saved to your mailbox. Sometimes if I think the CN is going to generate discussion, I'll copy it just before I send it, then send a copy to myself. Most often they are just typos or misspellings and I trust that the quiz maker or an editor will make the correction. In cases like that, it really isn't necessary for them to reply to me.

#310834 - Sat Jun 17 2006 02:56 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: McGruff]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I send in a fair number of corrections, most of which are minor. Sometimes there's a reply, sometimes not, but I'm confident my note will be acted on.
I've never looked back at the quiz in question anyway, so there'd be no benefit in having saved the correction note.
I am always very specific, not only stating what the correction is, but which question and whether it is the question or the notes I'm referring to. I'll even sometimes state the actual sentence. It is very annoying to receive corrections which state simply 'xxxxx is spelt wrong' without any other information, and feel such corrections note are both rude and irritating, and should be returned to sender unactioned, as requiring a 'correction' to the correction note!

#310835 - Sat Jun 17 2006 03:33 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: picqero]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quote:

feel such corrections note are both rude and irritating, and should be returned to sender unactioned, as requiring a 'correction' to the correction note!

I can sympathize with your feeling this way, but please do not do this! Every correction is looked at by an editor. If you mark it 'corrected' and do nothing to your quiz, the person to get into trouble will be you - your quiz may be taken offline. We keep a fairly close eye on these things, and players who routinely send useless or wrong corrections will hear from us. Likewise if the correction is offensive - they will get a blast, and if it is bad enough, their account will be terminated.

Mike, I wish we had such a facility myself, but there are no plans at present to allow such a thing. Do what Griff odes, and save any notes that you might wish to refer to again, in your own computer.

#310836 - Sat Jun 17 2006 11:20 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: agony]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

I was referring only to those corrections, where the sender has not properly identified the question being referred to, but simply said that 'xxxxx' is spelt wrong. This forces the recipient to go through the whole quiz from start to finish searching for the possibly offending word. If the question at least is correctly identified, then it's a simple matter to make the correction.

#310837 - Sun Jun 18 2006 06:49 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: picqero]
greybrow Offline
Participant

Loc: Middlesex England UK     
And a quick plea from me if you are reporting spelling corrections, please stop and think if the spelling mistake is in fact a different English spelling of the word in question.

I received one the other day which said something along the lines of "sterilisation isn't spelt that way" to which I replied something like "It is where I live" (which I hope was taken in the light hearted spirit I intended).

Nevertheless there are some quite substantial differences between American English and British English and they should always be borne in mind before reporting a spelling mistake.

Graham

#310838 - Sun Jun 18 2006 07:11 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: greybrow]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I find that the most important thing is rather cliche:

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

If a player writes his note in a nice tone, with an explanation as to why he thinks I need a correction, I'll send a nice note back and look for the mistake. Even if there's no mistake, I'll take it lightly, and will explain my reasoning. If the note is rude, or short and abrupt, I'll correct the mistake, but I will not contact the player at all. If the player is simply wrong, I might even take it to heart for all of five minutes.

But not more.

#310839 - Sun Jun 18 2006 07:24 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: LeoDaVinci]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

If the note is rude, or short and abrupt, I'll correct the mistake, but I will not contact the player at all. If the player is simply wrong, I might even take it to heart for all of five minutes.

But not more.

As long as that! Completely agree with you.

#310840 - Sun Jun 18 2006 08:55 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: picqero]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I reported one today, it spelt university with no 'r', please tell me that the US word does has an 'r', please.

#310841 - Sun Jun 18 2006 02:14 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

I reported one today, it spelt university with no 'r', please tell me that the US word does has an 'r', please.

Yes, in the USA, it is spelled 'university.'

#310842 - Sun Jun 18 2006 11:31 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: dg_dave]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Except in Boston...

#310843 - Thu Jul 06 2006 04:16 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: LeoDaVinci]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I need guidance on how to make corrections to questions that appear in the Global Challenge. Obviously, the name of the original quiz is on the question itself, but when you click to make a suggested correction, that information is not transmitted. It is also impossible to identify the question for the author. Just because a question came up as number 7 in the GC, it was probably another number in the original quiz. I have received error messages saying that the quiz was not correctly identified when I have submitted corrections this way. If I have not understood the correct way to do this, I apologize in advance and look forward to learning how it's done.

Sue (shuehorn)

#310844 - Thu Jul 06 2006 04:28 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: shuehorn]
agony Offline

Administrator

If you click on the link attached to the answer, your note will go to the correct quiz. The best way I have found to identify the question is to copy it and paste it to your note. This is easy to do, and makes sure the correct question will be easily found. You can of course say something like "In your question about the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin....", but copying is faster and more sure.

#310845 - Thu Jul 06 2006 06:33 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: agony]
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

It definitely would be good if the error reporting mechanism were explicit enough so that the reporters do not need to jump through hoops.

Since I have no way to know, I always 1) identify that the question appeared in the GC and 2) copy in the entire text and answer choices.

#310846 - Thu Jul 06 2006 07:15 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: mike32768]
agony Offline

Administrator

Well....I don't know if it is actually 'jumping through hoops' we need from you. What we need to avoid are the "Your answer is wrong"" type of corrections, with no question number or any other indication of what the player means.
It is certainly very helpful if you tell us that you encountered the question through the GC, and the better you identify the question the easier and faster it is to find. However, we can usually figure it out, given some information.
Even if the quiz author is not experienced enough with our system to understand what you are going on about, corrections are monitored closly enough by editors that things get straightened out pretty quick.

#310847 - Fri Jul 07 2006 04:27 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: agony]
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

I always fully explain my "problem" with the answer/question. I consider that only common sense (apparently some do not).

What I meant by "jumping through hoops" was: I, as the reporter of an error, should be able to click on the "report correction" link (or whatever) and have ALL the pertinent information provided to the author automatically, and this fact be clear to me as I type my report. This automatic info should be, at a minimum: The quiz ID, the question number and the fact that it was seen on the GC. Having to "Copy and paste" anything is so, well...

Since I have never seen any of my own questions in the GC (not that I have made a lot of quizzes) I have no way to see what really happens.

Edited by mike32768 (Fri Jul 07 2006 04:29 AM)

#310848 - Fri Jul 07 2006 06:13 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: mike32768]
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

I know this is what you call "jumping through hoops" but what I do is first click on the quiz link that the question comes from and find that question on the quiz itself. I copy it from the quiz with the question number. This way, I can also check to see if the question has already been corrected, because sometimes it has been. Then I close the quiz page and click on the link to send a correction, paste the question into that and write a brief explanation about what is wrong. A little time consuming, but I think it makes it easier for the editors to know exactly which question it is and what needs to be fixed.

Edited by McGruff (Fri Jul 07 2006 06:15 AM)

#310849 - Fri Jul 07 2006 06:49 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: McGruff]
agony Offline

Administrator

At one point the question number did come up with the error report, for questions from the GC. This was lost during one of the refits, and is still on the 'to do' list, I understand. It's a pretty long list, though, and there are always more urgent matters, it seems.

#310850 - Fri Jul 07 2006 07:19 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: agony]
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

As it is, it's time-consuming for someone. I figure it's either my time making the correction note as clear as possible, or the editor's time spent tracking down an error because the correction note is too vague. I have already found the error and want the correction made, so I try not to waste anymore of the editor's time than necessary. Terry will get to it eventually.

#310851 - Fri Jul 07 2006 07:22 AM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: McGruff]
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I always copy the question from the answer page of the Global Challenge, making sure to include the last line which includes the category and the name of the original quiz. I figure if a quiz writer has that information,it shouldn't be too hard to find the question I am referring to.

#310852 - Fri Jul 07 2006 08:41 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: McGruff]
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

I know this is what you call "jumping through hoops" but what I do is first click on the quiz link that the question comes from and find that question on the quiz itself. I copy it from the quiz with the question number. This way, I can also check to see if the question has already been corrected, because sometimes it has been.

Yes, I have learned in the past few months that this is the case so I do exactly that. It has prevented me from sending several unnecessary corrections already.

#310853 - Sat Jul 08 2006 02:15 PM Re: Reporting "Corrections" [Re: mike32768]
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
Again, my huge apologies to the editor I aggravated. I thought I might as well mention it here. I was being a jerk when I sent the correction notice.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4