Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#311960 - Thu Jun 29 2006 03:23 PM Rating a Quiz
denmarks Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chico, CA, USA
When I rate a quiz I try to judge it by what I think most people's knowledge is. A quiz that lists 10 extremely technical questions with 4 obscure answers would be judged by me as poor along with one that is too easy. I want to learn something from a quiz. A question that will ask what is the rear frontal cell of the cross platapus ear lobe and gives a answer of cellular partical obscurity (made up question, of course) is poor since who would ever remember or want to remember the answer. What is your opinion?

BTW: How many digits are there in the answer to how many grains of sand will fit into the known universe?

#311961 - Thu Jun 29 2006 06:49 PM Re: Rating a Quiz [Re: denmarks]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I think you've covered one or two of the official elements you would judge a quiz for. If it is that left field it won't appeal to many people so few would rate it highly. Otherwise you've got obscure but fascinating facts, which I always give a good mark to, multiple choices which aren't that easy to guess and interesting background in the answers. You can usually tell when a quiz is a cut above the rest overall and warrants a 5.

UN IPCC

#311962 - Fri Jul 07 2006 02:06 PM Re: Rating a Quiz [Re: satguru]
denmarks Offline
Enthusiast

I've given many quizzes a 4 or 5 when I only answer 2 correct since I am learning something. But if the answers are so obscure and technical that there is no way I would remember them they get a 1 or 2.

#311963 - Fri Jul 07 2006 05:01 PM Re: Rating a Quiz [Re: denmarks]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

But if the answers are so obscure and technical that there is no way I would remember them they get a 1 or 2.

I don't think that's really fair, IMO. What is obscure to you isn't necessarily obscure to everyone. For example, knowing that the Enterprise from "ST:TNG" is 1701-D may be obscure to some people, but it isn't to Star Trek fans.

For me, I rate a quiz based upon how well-written it is. Were all the questions phrased differently? Was it 'just another' type of quiz or was the information presented in an original manner? Was the interesting info informative? Were the questions thoroughly researched?

If the quiz was 'just another' of the subject, the information wasn't presented in an original manner, there wasn't much interesting info and the questions had so many incorrect answers, that's when I won't rate it very well.

Editor for Television Category

#311964 - Fri Jul 07 2006 06:04 PM Re: Rating a Quiz [Re: ladymacb29]
denmarks Offline
Enthusiast

That's why we all get a chance to rate them. We all have different opinions. I don't judge on weather someone else will find it interesting, it is based on my interest. If the majority is interested then whatever I rate it will be overridden.

#311965 - Fri Jul 07 2006 06:51 PM Re: Rating a Quiz [Re: denmarks]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

That's why we all get a chance to rate them. We all have different opinions. I don't judge on weather someone else will find it interesting, it is based on my interest. If the majority is interested then whatever I rate it will be overridden.

But if you play a quiz on a topic you're not interested in, why penalize the author for creating a quiz on that topic? They didn't ask you to play it.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding you.

Editor for Television Category

#311966 - Sat Jul 08 2006 10:17 AM Re: Rating a Quiz [Re: ladymacb29]
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
I know I can give some examples. Let's say I am interested in quizzes on dogs.

One quiz can be difficult because it's got genuinely difficult but interesting questions, such as "Once the darling of both gamekeepers and the English aristocracy, this handsome breed is now quite rare. However, it is as versatile as ever- no other sporting breed comes close to it in the number of titles earned per dog." with the choices of Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, flat-coated retriever, Chesapeake bay retriever and curly-coated retriever.

The next quiz could be difficult because it has questions like "What is the average weight of a female Great Dane?" with the choices of 100, 110, 120 and 130 pounds.

I know that I would rate a quiz with questions like the first quite well, and questions like the second quite poorly.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4